Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 26, 2007
I've been a big fan of Marc Antoine's signature Latin-funk guitar work since I first heard his debut disc, "Classical Soul," in 1994. Needless to say, I've been looking forward to his newest release, HI-LO SPLIT. I just got my preview copy, and I'm thrilled to say that it's another outstanding collection of music from one of the true superstars of today's Smooth Jazz. Marc's signature nylon and steel sound is enhanced this time by the Mediterranean ambience of his home in Madrid. He recorded this disc there (in his Frogland Studio), brought his friend and longtime keyboardist Frederic Gaillardet in from Paris for the project, used bassist and Cameroon native Andre Mange, and imported Luis Conte's percussion parts electronically from L.A.; he then added the sizzle of a local Spanish horn section to both the title track (the first radio single) and the fiery, tropical-flavored "Groovin' High." The result of this sun-kissed Mediterranean chemistry is a delightfully organic sound, with an unmistakable R&B twist to many of the tunes. In addition to "Hi-Lo Split and "Groovin' High," I really like the lush "For a Smile," inspired by his son Alejandro, and Marc's salute to Joao Gilberto, "Bossalectro." As for the album's title... it's inspired by his newly developed fascination with the game of poker, where a HI-LO SPLIT means the person with the highest and lowest hand wins. HI-LO SPLIT is classic Marc Antoine, with a fresh new slant, and I'm absolutely loving it. This one gets five stars! ~SCOTT O'BRIEN
on August 22, 2007
Those of you that have heard Marc's last CD, Modern Times, no one knew what to expect with this release. Would Marc continue with heavy sampling, rapping and funky drum beats?
Not at all! Marc returns to the sound that made him famous. This CD is more like "Madrid", with a more laid back, lounge-like feel.
Marc shows again why he is a great guitarist, melodic riffs and beautifully phrased guitar solos. Just listen to the title track, "Hi-Lo Split", and you'll know what I mean.
A thoroughly enjoyable album to sit back, relax, and even dance to. I am looking forward to when he tours the U.S. in the coming year. He's even better live !
on January 27, 2013
I'm afraid I don' t like the first track, "For a Smile". It's too repetitive for me. But I do like the rest of the CD. The remaining tracks really are great background for me as I write.

I really enjoy guitar in general and jazzy guitar in particular. And Marc Antoine is one of my favorite artists.
on March 26, 2008
Marc Antoine is one of my favorite artists, and Hi-Lo Split follows suit as far as nice, mellow "driving" music. I often listen to him in the wintertime, because his music makes me think of the warmth of the tropics! I usually don't care for "covers", but he does a nice job with "Spooky" (originally done by the Classics 4). There are also a couple of tunes that will have you tapping your toes. If you like relaxing music, buy this CD - you won't be sorry!
on February 8, 2008
I have all of Marc Antoine's cds and they are all great listening. They are a mixture of smooth jazz with Latin flavors that will appeal to many different music tastes. Great for relaxing with your favorite book and cocktail or just meditating.
on July 4, 2015
His music is so mellow, rythmic and easy to listen to. Kind of puts me in another jazzy, Hispanic, stress-free zone. Can't wait to see him in person.
on February 18, 2014
As with all of his music, Marc Antoine is absolutely amazing,this is a must have CD, his flare with the guitar is like no other
on October 25, 2008
I haven't heard anything yet from Marc Antoine that I didn't like. He continues to make me happy with his music!
on November 24, 2009
I like this alblum also, it mixes jazz with a dose of Latino Heat! - very fresh and laid back too!-
on November 12, 2015