5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots for travel and general wear
These have been great boots. I am on my fourth pair of the Altitude series- a version I, version II, and now 2 version IVs. All have been good buys for me. The version IV have been the best but all have been good.

First, I have a high arch and have always been hard on any footwear with a tendency to walk on the 'outside' of my foot. I wear these boots to...
Published on October 25, 2008 by LT

3.0 out of 5 stars Runs small and narrow
This review is not about the quality of the shoe (which looked quite satisfactory) but about the sizing.
The shoe runs both small and narrow (even though i ordered a wide).
FYI- if that happens and you have to return it- You will have to pay for the return shipping to amazon
Published on August 5, 2010 by knockhell

‹ Previous | 1 2 395 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT FOOTWARE, February 15, 2009
I'M A RETURNING USER OF THIS PRODUCT, HAVE WORN THIS BRAND, AND STYLE OF HI-TEC HIKING BOOT FOR SEVERAL YEARS. THE SHOE IS BOTH LONG WEARING, WITH ANKLE SUPPORT. I WORK OUTDOORS, IN WINTER WEATHER, SUMMER HEAT, AND RAIN. GOOD PRODUCT FOR THE PRICE. WILL BUY AGAIN. CHARLIE W.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hi=Tec Altitude, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I have purchased and worn these boots for years, but since manufacturing has moved to Indonesia the boots are smaller sizes and very narrow. I recently ordered two pairs of these boots in their widest size. Upon arrival I compared them to my old boots that are a "d" width. THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME! THERE IS NO WIDE, THEY ARE THE SAME WIDTH!!!!!! I contacted Hi-Tec in regard to the problem because I like to give a person/company a chance to correct the error. Some woman wrote back to me sayin that they were aware of the problems and were currently awaiting another shipment. Nothing about them being sorry for being so stupid as to move the manufacturing from the US. No offer to send me a correct pair. I DON'T KNOW IF THE CO. SOLD OR WHAT BUT IF THEY CAN'T TREAT LONG TIME LOYAL CUSTOMERS BETTER THAN THIS THEN i WILL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! ANOTHER AMERICAN CO SELLING OUT FOR THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR-WHAT A SHAME.SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY SOMETHING ELSE THAT WILL FIT AMERICAN MENS FEET. SHAME ON YOU HI-TEC!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoes are too unique for a review, February 26, 2013
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I thought how could you go wrong with 270 plus positive reviews but shoes are probably the most difficult thing to review because hardly anyone has the same foot or preferences. And they really need to fit well and feel good or they can ruin what should be a good time. Shoes are one thing you shouldn't buy just for the price.

I bought these for hiking but as soon as I put them on I knew I'd be in trouble after a day out in these. While the fit is great (it's very hard to find boots that come wide) there is hardly any cushion inside - anywhere. They just did not feel comfortable. I prefer to wear thin socks so that doesn't make up the lack of comfort. The lining even feels rough. But the worst is the seam that hits right at the ball of my ankle. Scrape, scrape, scrape, that's all I could feel. Imagine several hours of that. I also didn't notice any arch support at all.

Based on other reviews it also seems that the quality is not consistent. I don't think that was the problem with mine, they just don't work with my feet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hi-Tech, November 23, 2008
This is an excellent light-medium weight boot. I wanted to find a reasonably priced hiking boot for weekend trips. This boot meets all of my expectations. It is light but sturdy, waterproof but still "breathes" and it fits according to the size listed. This is not a heavy boot for large pack trips but should be more than enough for light trips.

The seller delivered as promised and gave link for tracking. I would defintiely buy from this seller again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Boot, August 6, 2007
We use Hi-Tec boots and shoes for storm chasing. They've always made an excellent lightweight hiking boot. The Altitude IV is rough and tough but also looks good for a night out on the town. We get our boots dirty as we trek across Tornado Alley each spring. Our Hi-Tec's take good care of our feet as we concentrate on the weather.

Martin Lisius
Tempest Tours Storm Chasing Expeditions

5.0 out of 5 stars BREAK IN IS A MUST!!, January 17, 2011
I've tried many types of boots in my day. By profession I am a miner and work six days a week. I have never found a boot that I can take out of the box and take off to work in. The hi-Tec boot that I bought I allowed three weeks to break in. When I would get home, till I went to bed, even going to the store, you name it. I also gave them a good dose of mink oil often. I have seen many reveiws about how stiff the leather is and sole issues. If your boot has no wrinkles in the stress points it's not broke in and will be uncomfortable. My first hike was five hours at twenty five degrees steep, unstable rock and leaf covered slopes and my boots worked as I would have expected. The soles stayed soft enough to grip the rocks and provided good ankle support. I have always worn Red Wing boots at the mine site but won't any more as they have changed the soles to a hard rubber that won't grip and I hate them. The soles look like new after two years(over two hundred dollar boots). I'm breaking in my Hi-Tec for the Grand Teton range and I'm sure that I have made the right choice. If you do buy a pair of Hi-Tec boots make sure you BREAK THEM IN before you judge them. As for me, my "Altitude IV" won't be my last, I love them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good boots, but Hi-Tec needs to use better glue., November 26, 2011
Stewart Deats (Flagstaff, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I have been wearing Hi-Tec Altitude hiking boots for more than a decade, and I am now on my fourth (and probably last) pair. There are several reasons that I like them: 1) they are comfortable from the beginning, at least for me, and and don't require "breaking-in" (blisters are rare even after hiking ten miles a day); 2)they are reasonably priced (but I almost always buy on them on sale); and 3) they are relatively waterproof (however this doesn't last too long, but can be restored by treating them with Sno-Seal or a similar product as needed.

I started buying and using these boots after owning an expensive pair of Vasque hiking boots and replacing the soles on those twice. For a little more than the cost of getting the soles replaced on those I could buy a pair of Altitudes when they were on sale. I've worn out three pairs of Altitudes (each lasts about three or four years for me with moderate to heavy use).

The biggest drawback about these boots (for me) is that the glue used to attach the rubber sole and sides to the leather is ineffective. The rubber/synthetic materials start separating from the leather not long after I start wearing the boots. For years my solution has been to reattach and somewhat seal the edges with copious amounts of Shoe Goo. It makes the boots look ugly, but it does the job for a year or two, and then I need to reapply the Shoe Goo in smaller amounts. I've been hoping that Hi-Tec would start using a superior system to attach the sole and sides to the leather, but this has never happened. At this point I've given up hope and will be trying out other brands. It is really a shame, because I do like these boots otherwise, but I am tired of the lame glue issue. If it weren't for that perpetual problem I'd be giving these boots five stars, but as it is they only get three.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the Price, September 9, 2009
Paul Rest "vaticdart" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Hiking Boot (Apparel)
My ex bought these for me for $70 to get me into hiking here in the Cascades around Seattle (I have always hiked wearing regular shoes, but on flatter terrain in Northern California). I have always worn them with hiking socks and liners and they have been phenomenal. I think the longest hike I've done is 8 or 9 miles in a day, but I've done quite a bit of vertical including Mailbox and Snoqualmie Mountain and these have never let me down. After two years I can still slosh through creeks and melting snow and I've never gotten wet feet. The boots have held up well and look as though they'll last another year or two of hiking and snowshoeing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad on slick wet surfaces, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I have owned these boots for several years now. They fit well, are quite comfortable, and seem watertight. However, about 1 year ago I was on a hiking trip in Costa Rica. We were on a trail that needed to cross several streams to reach a waterfall. The guide took one look at my boots and told me I would have problems because several past clients had slipped on the wet rocks in similar boots. Other brands of hiking boots did not have the same problems. I noted that anytime you have water and rocks together there are potential problems of slipping, especially if there is moss. Thus, I discounted the warning. Later, at one of the waterfalls it was necessary to step on several wet stones. I found that my boots could not get any kind of grip on the slick rocks. I had never experienced anything so slick. The others in my party did not have the same problems. I usually am one of the most sure-footed hikers, but these boots made it feel like walking on ice in dress shoes. I finally had to take off my boots and go barefoot, which did not pose the same problem of slipping. One of the other men in the group told me that he was a pilot in the US Air Force and that in his squadron these Hi-Tec boots had been prohibited because there were too many injuries coming in and out of the cargo planes when it was wet. Ironically, even though these boots seem to be waterproof, you would not want to use them in a wet area that could also be slick. They seem to work fine on rough ground, even when wet. Finally, after wearing these boots for several seasons (primarily when I am outside in snow and slush), they have developed some very annoying squeaks. So, it is embarrassing walking in a group because my boots make so much noise. Otherwise, these boots have been fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars can't be beat for the price, May 9, 2010
R. Johnston (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I was a little skeptical of the boots at first because of the very low price, also they seemed oddly roomy when I tried them on; but for only around $60 dollars I decided to take a chance and bought them. I first wore them out for a hike in about 10 inches of snow at my local state park. My feet got a little wet that day but I think it was due more to sinking into the snow over top the boot. After about 3 fairly strenous miles the top of my left foot was so sore I hiked back to my car and drove home.

I didn't wear the boots again until early spring when I went back to work landscaping. If you've never worked in landscaping you should know that there is much more to it than sitting on a lawn mower. In a typical day I'm on my feet for 9-12 hours a day, walking from 5-7 miles carrying heavy buckets of mulch and using heavy commercial blowers, weedeaters, and weed killer tanks. The boots performed wonderfully. Within less than a week the boots had completely formed to my feet. The roomy feeling transformed into to best fit my foot has ever felt. My feet have never once been wet since the first outing. The soles are stiff eoungh to take a beating day after day but not too rigid to be uncomfortable. The only negative I've found is that if I use the top lace hooks, the boots are too tight on my upper ankles so I simply do not use the top lace hooks when tieing up.

I can honestly say these boots are a joy to put on every morning and their comfort keep me going strong all day long. Although a more expensive pair of boots my provide more support for very heavy loads (like heavy packs) these boots are perfect for the dayhiker, landscaper, or anyone needing a light but strong shoe for work. I would def buy again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 395 | Next ›