4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for $10
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:34 Mins
I purchased this pen to video tape lectures in my science classes. The quality of the video isn't great, but honestly I'm just happy it works for $10! I bought a 16 GB micro card separately for about $6.

Published 5 months ago by kintantee

3.0 out of 5 stars Works -sort of (with an update - again!)
I am redoing the whole review on this item based on some further experimentation I have done with it.

The video quality is acceptable, given that it is a mini camera with a pinhole lens. Indoor photos will be blurred if you're not perfectly still, as will videos. Outdoor (sunlit) shooting is much better.

Now for the main discovery that caused me to...
Published 6 months ago by Michael

3.0 out of 5 stars Works -sort of (with an update - again!), March 10, 2014
This review is from: HD Spy Pen Hidden Camera Camcorder Mini DV DVR Video Business Portable Recorder (Electronics)

Now for the main discovery that caused me to remove my previous one-star rating: 16GB memory doesn't work with this camera, at least not with mine. I wondered if the 16G micro SDHD might be an issue, so I picked up an 8GB at Tiger Direct here in town. With an 8G memory, it works. The crashing and shutting down after a few seconds, which were the main complaints I had with it before, have stopped altogether. I have recorded for 30 minutes at a stretch on the 8GB card with no real problems. Apparently it auto-saves every 10 minutes so a 30 minute recording will make 3 files.

If you have one of these and it is giving you problems with shutdowns or crashes, try a smaller memory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for $10, April 29, 2014
Length:: 0:34 Mins

The video I uploaded is just to give interested buyers an idea of video quality of the camera. It is not an instructional video. The bunny was obviously suspicious of the pen! ;D

I like that it automatically saves video if the battery dies or you run out of space. Also, the pen can actually write.

With that said, I found it to have some issues:
- For the first 5 mins or so of recording video, it sometimes glitches and video is shown in jerky movements, and sometimes these weird blue lines flash on the video for a few secs. After the initial few minutes, the video is fine with no glitches. (Not sure if this has to do with the device or memory card)
- I have only recorded one lecture so far, and the battery lasted for only about 45 mins on a full charge
- It saves video in 10-minute segments each, instead of a continuous video, so you will need some kind of video editor if you want to put all the video clips together into one long video.

Despite the cons, I found it to be worth the price. I purchased my pen from HealthSpot, which was a "fulfillment by Amazon" purchase. It came inside a BPR 6 box, along with instructions and the USB cable. Not much of an issue, but I received a pen with silver trim, not gold like the one pictured.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does work, just not how they say it does., July 24, 2014
You get what you pay for, probably more than you pay for. Come on, this thing is $10 and gives decent video and audio. I'm not sure what everyone else was expecting for this price, but I'm very happy with it. The audio far surpasses my expectations, it will even pick up some window-rattling low frequencies. The video is about what I expected, but there are up to several dropped frames per second but will go for several minutes without any observed dropped frames. The dropped frames are accompanied by the audio speeding up to stay in sync with the video. It's not perfect, but like I said, $10.

Throw the instructions away, they're awful. Even if you figure out the translator's intended meaning, it's not even close to describing the function of the camera. The only thing they got right was how it charges.

To turn the camera on, press and hold the button for two seconds. The green LED will illuminate. The camera appears to have to "boot up", give it about five to ten seconds after the green LED comes on. After ten seconds, press the button once quickly and you'll take a picture - the LED will go out for a couple seconds and come back on once the camera's ready to do something else. Holding the button for about two seconds while the green LED is on will start recording video, the LED will flash three or four times (mine has done both) to indicate recording has started and will stay out while recording. There is about a two second delay between the green LED going out and the start of the video. To stop recording and leave the camera on (standby mode), press the button quickly one time. The green LED will come back on. To turn the camera off, hold the button for three seconds; if recording video, the file will be saved and then power off. The red LED will flash once to indicate power off.

You will probably want to press the reset button before trying anything, mine was acting weird and wouldn't perform functions consistently with button presses. Sometimes it would act almost as the instructions included with the camera said it would, but would act slightly differently each time.

DO NOT FORMAT THE MEMORY CARD unless you have a card reader. I tried formatting it (to name the device "pen") with the USB cable plugged into the pen. I got an error message saying the format couldn't be completed. I was then unable to read or write to the pen over the USB cable until I formatted it in my card reader, I named the card "pen", reinstalled it in the pen and it's been working great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, February 27, 2014
K. Harper (United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't realize it didn't come with a SD memory card. It comes separate. It works good. Great volume. No issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars How my new pen operates...., June 8, 2014
James Filerman (Middleton, Rhode Island, US) - See all my reviews
I received my Pen today. It works. Mine seems to operate differently than others reviewed. First-I am NOT interested in single pictures-just video.
After charging for hours:
Press the top button for 3 seconds. Unlike others reviewed....my light did not blink at all. Just hold button for 3 seconds and release. A solid blue light is now on. Then, while looking at indicator lights, press button again for 2 seconds. When you press the button for this procedure the blue light will blink . When you release the button after the two seconds(or so)....all lights will be off and you will now be recording. When ready to terminate recording....press the button again and hold down.... the unit will blink twice. Release the button. That should be it...you now have a recording. When doing the last step...if you do not get the two blinks then dark...you probably do NOT have a successful recording. I have been fairly successful...but not 100% and have no idea why. (I will keep practicing and will modify these steps if need be)

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked, January 27, 2014
It worked. Just as the description said, Great product I would recommend this to anyone who thinks they need it

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, April 2, 2014
The packaging is good and came in a nice box. The instructions were very unclear and found myself re-reading through them a couple of times. Works perfectly and after reading the instructions a few times it becomes very easy to work. The memory slot is a bit sketchy because when you usually insert a micro sd card, it clicks, but in the pen you need to insert it with force and you are left wondering if its broken or not. The video quality is NOT in HD but it is acceptable for a camera that small. The audio quality is acceptable too, but it is not in HD. The pen overall is a neat toy and may be what you are looking for if you need it to spy on someone without the importance of seeing things crystal clear. If you are looking for high quality then you may be disappointed.

Pros:
-Good Packaging
-Easy to Work
-Acceptable Recording

Cons:
-Unclear Instructions
-Not HD recording
-Sketchy Micro SD slot

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Product, Bad seller, July 30, 2014
I would give this product a 0 stars. The pen works in all other ways, however, it will not take video for more than 3 to 4 seconds. It then stops recording. It says in the instructions that it will video continuously in the yellow light. There is no yellow light. It will video for three or four seconds in the green light then the light stays on with no more video. It does not come with a card and it does not tell you that anywhere in the selling process. Therefore you have to go buy a card before you can even find out if it works. I bought two and never opened the second one since the first one did not work. Tried calling Amazon. They informed me that the seller does not give them their phone number. I can send an email to the seller, however, that does not help me to try to get it to work. Sorry I ever made this purchase. I bought two micro sd cards that cost me $40 and now I have to go return those as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars I SHOULD HAVE CONSIDERED THE OVERALL NEGATIVE FEEDBACKS, AND DISCARD THE FEW POSITIVE ONES, July 25, 2014
I am very disappointed by this item and the way Amazon and the seller have handled my order.
First of all, I've never received the 8 GB Micro SD card.
They tried to challenge me on my claims, but at the end they agreed to ship the missing card.
Too late.
The spy pen itself seems to be as described, but just "worked" for the initial charging, as it had read light turned on while I kept it connected to a powered USB port for the whole night.
Then in the morning, when I tried to operate it, it never responded as expected.
It does nothing. And now I do not even see the red light while connected to powered USB port.
Obviously, I requested it to be returned and me to be refunded.
It then appears to the price to ship it back to Shenzen (China) would be more than 50 $.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, July 25, 2014
Plugged it in to charge it. The light came on once, then never came on again. Hooking it up to the computer says device not recognized. I dunno what I expected for $5. Amazon sells way too much cheap crap from China.