4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than First Book
Published on July 23, 2011 by carol irvin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea
Published on March 27, 2012 by E. J.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than First Book, July 23, 2011
This review is from: The Hidden Child (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck) (Paperback)
The same characters appear as in the first book of this series, ICE PRINCESS. Author Erica is now married to policeman Patrick. Since she writes true crime books, she inserts herself into his investigations. Because this is a small Swedish tourist town, with very little crime taking place, she can get away with this. What really intrigues her about this crime though is that it involves her late mother. When Erica discovers her mother's old diaries from the World War II years, she unwittingly sets in motion the unveiling of a past that others of her mother's generation in that town do not want unveiled.

One of the very best characters in this book is one we were all set to despise in the first book, the police chief. This time he adopts a stray dog and begins taking salsa dance lessons. He just about steals the whole book this time around.

This is a much stronger book than the first. I also did not solve the mystery until shortly before the author revealed "who-done-it."

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, March 27, 2012
E. J. (Superior, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hidden Child (Paperback)
This book is a great example of how everyone has unique tastes. I am very much into Scandinavian thrillers and I particularly enjoy authors such as Arnaldur Indridason and Asa Larsson. I found that the story in Hidden Child is written with particular inclination for exploring "human stories" and going off on side subplots. That is fine but to my taste the ratio of murder investigation to the human stories was too low. You will enjoy this book if you want to read about a jaded old detective who finds affection both in a human and a canine companion, about a couple deeply in love and facing the birth of a child, about a detective on paternity leave who can't stay away from work, and about his wife who is a writer that decides to investigate the murder story on her own (it happens to involve her deceased distant mother). You get the idea. I did not like the story but you might.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4-1/2 stars for the latest entry in this Swedish series, July 12, 2013
This is the 7th book in this Swedish series by Camilla Lackberg that focuses on romantic partners Patrik Hedstrom and Erica Falck. He is a homicide detective and she is a true crime writer. In this latest novel, the two are married and have a daughter. Erica has been home with her for a year, and now Patrik is taking paternity leave for six months while she writes a book. Needless to say, there are adjustments to be made. This is the first book I've read by this author, and I was struck by how much non-crime material there was; at just over 500 pages, the book feels stuffed with characters and personal stories. I suppose if you've read the first six you are happy to get so much information on what these characters are up to, so I'm not holding that against the author. And I did enjoy all the personal drama -- but there is a lot to keep straight, with minor characters being evoked infrequently enough that several times I was caught thinking -- "Now WHO is that again? Oh! The sister's husband's half daughter's boyfriend!" Yikes. I think there were over 40 named characters! Aside from that, the only thing I didn't enjoy was the mini-cliffhangers that pervade the pages. Stories are told as short doses of each character -- a page or two that then jumps to the next vignette -- and often new information would come out just as the narrative moved on and the reader doesn't know what it is until the character carousel stops at your guy again. This was charming at first but got to be mildly annoying after a while.

That said, I enjoyed this tale of a daughter's quest to understand her remote mother better. She is going through her dead mother's belongings when she finds a Nazi war medal. I liked the story hidden by a group of friends from 60 years ago. Clues were available, the story was interesting, and the final revelations plausible and interesting.

I would read more by this author and in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neo-Nazism Rears It's Head, May 10, 2014
Camilla Lackberg, has based her mystery/police procedural series in Fjallbacka, on the west coast of Sweden featuring police detective Patrik Hedstrom and his mystery writer wife, Erica Falck. Patrik is taking paternity leave to look after the couple's daughter Maja while Erica is getting back to work and writing a new novel.

At the same time, Erica finds an old Nazi medal mixed in with her mother's diaries. She takes the medal to a local historian who will examine it and report back . Unfortunately, the man is murdered, and this opens up a mystery that involves her mother and other people who lived during the 1940's and the war. With the introduction of neo-Nazis in the news, in particular in Norway, this storyline takes a nice twist. Patrik becomes involved part-time because his colleagues do not trust that their boss, Melberg is capable of handling this type of investigation. Erika becomes more involved in the mystery because of what she finds out about her mother.

We are also privy to the private lives of Erika and Patrik as Patrik tries to care for Maja. However, he keeps bothering Erika who is writing at home, and this leads to many discussions of parental responsibilities. Erika's sister Anba and her new partner, Dan have issues surrounding their combined children and in particular, his teenager, Belinda. We also meet Patrik's colleagues at the police department. We get to know Melberg and the new, detective, Paula.

This is a well written storyline, full of surprises and the introduction of all of the characters is indeed, well done. The alternating chapters between 1944 and the present are tiring, and I skipped over some of the 1940's. However, I think this is one of the best novels written by this author. I look forward to the next one.

Recommended. prisrob 05-10-14

2.0 out of 5 stars really disappointing, June 14, 2014
I had read a lot about Lackberg, her popularity in Sweden, what a great writer she is, the suspenseful stories she writes. This was the first of her books that I have read and I was sorely disappointed. She is a good writer, easy to read and the story moves along. She does a good job developing her characters so they seem to be real people not just cardboard cutouts as in many crime fiction novels. But unfortunately, the suspense was sorely lacking. And about halfway into this very long book, I got quite bored, by the last third I was annoyed.

The book is basically too long. And Lackberg seems to think that the reader cannot remember the facts without regular recaps. In fact, she recaps just about every little detail numerous times. Maybe Swedish readers like really long books and so she felt the need to stretch. But I found it quite irritating and would have preferred to get to the conclusion at least 200 pages earlier.

As for the resolutions to the crimes and questions, there were no surprises here. I am not generally good at figuring who did it. I don't really try, preferring to just enjoy the story. But here, it was all so obvious that it was very disappointing. I really wanted a great surprise ending as a payoff for all the time I had put in to get there.

For those of you who like a real crime whodunnit, look elsewhere. Lackberg's books, and I use the plural because from what I have read this one is representative, are stories about people, around the plot of a crime, rather than real crime and mystery fiction. Although I didn't really expect Lackberg to be as good as Larsson I had hoped she would come a little bit closer. But not by a very long shot.

2.0 out of 5 stars Betta Know Swedish, May 18, 2012
The trouble with this book, I believe, is the translation. I'm sure Camilla Lackberg is an excellent writer in her own language, but the translation renders her writing style flat and uninteresting.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hidden Child, August 28, 2011
As good as the previous four or better...cannot be put down!! Excellent. Recommend it to all who like mystery novels. It is a page turner from page one to the very last one!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many Subplots create a Very Slow and Boring Read, August 2, 2014
sleepyberry (Elm Grove, LA United States) - See all my reviews
I was 20% into this book when I couldn't take anymore. The subplots and endless introduction of new characters really, really slow this book down. The part that I had read the police weren't concerned with solving the murder....unless Patrik is around to tell them what to do. With Patrik on paternity leave, the police can't seem to function. Since it was so slow with the multitude of subplots and unending supply of characters, I really didn't care why there was a murder and who was the murderer. I skipped ahead to the last three chapters. Don't think I'll read any of her other works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Editor needed, November 20, 2012
I've read a few of this series, and I don't know if he problem is with the original or the translation. The stories are always well constructed, but the depiction of the characters is repetitive and not very believable. We get told every time one person is teasing another - they usually wink at each other. In this story there is a one-year-old child. I don't think the author knows much about child development, this one behaves more like a three-year-old. a really good edit would clean out a lot of this crap, and leave the story to shine.

3.0 out of 5 stars The story itself was pretty decent. I found it a bit slow going ..., July 2, 2014
The story itself was pretty decent. I found it a bit slow going at first. There were too many story lines and characters and it was hard to follow at times.

The Hidden Child (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck)
The Hidden Child (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck) by Camilla Lackberg (Paperback - June 1, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.55