5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book
The book covered a lot of the history of Detroit I did not know, referencing primarily historian's work from the turn of the century. Definitely an interesting read, but maybe better checked out from the library unless you plan on passing it amongst your friends.
Published 22 months ago by Detroit

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read
There are many interesting facts in this book but it wasn't as good as other books I have read on Detroit.
Published 13 months ago by Linda

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book, February 4, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and informative!, November 10, 2011
This review is from: Hidden History of Detroit (Paperback)
I met Amy on a tour of a Detroit cemetery she led (which was awesome), and her enthusiasm for history is engaging! She's brought that spirit to her book, and fills you on things you should probably already know about Detroit (if you live here) but you probably don't. She revels in the wacky characters, and brings the old-town setting to life. I'm pretty certain I'll be giving these out to family as Christmas presents this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Detroit can't take itself too seriously any more., May 10, 2013
This is a joyful trip through Detroit’s rollicking, devious past. The book is a fun read that shows you that making history is more fun than studying history

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sarah Vowell of Detroit, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Hidden History of Detroit (Paperback)
"Hidden History of Detroit" tells long-forgotten stories of the Motor City before the motor. It is one of those rare history books that entertains rather than bores the reader. Amy Elliott Bragg is a master nonfiction storyteller, sifting through arcane language and illegible manuscripts and molding the tales into a book that is as factual as it is fun. Think of Elliott Bragg as Detroit's version of Sarah Vowell. Prepare to learn about some of the craziest characters Detroit has ever seen, from the founder of the city itself to the rapscallions who terrorized the city by lighting pine cones on fire and chucking them down the street. Simply put: This is a must-have for any Detroit or Michigan history lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful copy, in excellent condition (new)!, April 22, 2013
This review is from: Hidden History of Detroit (Paperback)
Reminded me of the past history of a great city I grew up in, and taught in!!! It also gave me a twinge or two, when I realized what has happened to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden History of Detroit, a Great Book!, December 27, 2011
This review is from: Hidden History of Detroit (Paperback)
Amy has woven her imformative blog, the night train, into a well written narrative on the founding and early days of Detroit. She really adds a personal touch to the founders and early historians of Detroit, as if she is introducing old friends to new friends. Certainly a must read for anyone interested in Detroit or the founding of our country in general.

4.0 out of 5 stars Born in Detroit, May 7, 2014
This review is from: Hidden History of Detroit (Paperback)
I've live in the Detroit area most of my life and find this book to be an interesting history of this great city. I even learned some things I wasn't familiar with and was reminded of other things I enjoyed while growing up here. A good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, November 18, 2013
Linda "Read It" (San Clemente, CA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars My old hometown, April 5, 2014
This review is from: Hidden History of Detroit (Paperback)
This was a gift to my brother. He loved it and found fascinating information about the place we came from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than what I thought, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Hidden History of Detroit (Paperback)
I ordered a whole slew of Detroit history books. In the collection, this was the "sleeper" that is to say, this one was way better than I would have thought. Ms. Bragg is a very talented writer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hidden History of Detroit
Hidden History of Detroit by Amy Elliott Bragg (Paperback - October 13, 2011)
$19.99 $15.18
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.