5.0 out of 5 stars H2Oh, my God!
Published on September 8, 2006 by John P. Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing
Like many others, I became aware of this book through the excellent film "What the Bleep?" and had high expectations for the message. The book started off interestingly enough, but as it went on, I became more and more put off by Emoto's lack of scientific perspective, even as he was claiming to be performing "research."

To be clear, I am very open minded and...
Published on November 25, 2004 by David

5.0 out of 5 stars H2Oh, my God!, September 8, 2006
When I was in my teens and early twenties, I had horrible, horrible acne. I tried all kinds of things; medicines, creams, soaps. My acne would dissapear for a little bit and then come back with a vengeance. I was about ready to give up. But one day I was sitting there and I was just looking at a glass of water I had poured. The morning sunlight that was streaming in through the kitchen windows hit the glass of water just right and it really caught my attention; it was absolutely beautiful. I held up that glass of water to the sun and said from a place of love, "This is beauty water. This water cleanses, purifies, and beautifies my skin..." And then I drank the water. The water actually tasted better...it was so weird...

This was about six months before I got into learning about affirmations and visualizations and all that other metaphysical "mumbo jumbo" that people are so quick to put down but so slow in investigating the "matter" or should I say, "the Spirit" for themselves. But every time I got a glass of water, I held it up and said the statement, "This is beauty water. This water cleanses, purifies and beautifies my skin..." Would you believe in less than a week my skin completely cleared up and whenever I did breakout, it was usually small and disappeared within a few days.

Dr. Emoto's book really hit home with me. Without me even knowing what I was doing, I was actually changing the structure of the water I was drinking. I was literally changing the composition of the water with my words! Now you can scoff all you want, but something happened that I cannot explain. Like I said earlier, nothing worked. Even my dermatologist asked me what I was doing. I told him and he looked like he wanted to wet his pants. Could you imagine if every patient of his did what I did? He would quickly go out of business.

Now that I am more consciously aware of certain universal laws and principles for instance, "thoughts are things" and "what we focus on we attract" I not only bless the water that I drink, but the food that I eat. Sometimes I will "pig out" and eat a box of fudge...see my review on the best fudge in the world...and I will tell that fudge that it will only be used for energy. I will not gain an ounce of fat. Yes, I do workout, but I'm in my early 40s and my metabolism has really s l o w e d down...

I know the skeptics who are reading this review are probably having a field day and although my "experiments" have not been proven, the experiments in this book have been. When, oh, when are we going to realize that the whole universe is alive and vibrant and conscious of Itself? We live in a thinking universe and not one bit of it is "dead matter". It is beautiful and in each and every moment, everything is cleansed, purified, and beautified....

Believe it and one day you may come to know that it's true.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, November 25, 2004
David (Rogersville, TN, United States) - See all my reviews

To be clear, I am very open minded and actively seek out cutting-edge ideas that push the envelope of our concepts of 'reality.' However, if a photo is shown of an ice crystal that purportedly got its shape from a prayer or a phrase or a song, a rational thinking person wants to know, "Out of a billion crystals that may have formed at that instant, how representative (or *subjectively selective*) is that photo that is being shown of the entire population of the crystals in the mix?" Careful statistical evaluations would be necessary to establish any solid basis for Emoto's theses. Yet no hard data such as this exists in this book. I am open to these ideas, even want to believe in them, but, where's the beef?

After viewing the photos and Emoto's captions describing them, it would be hard for an objective person --regardless of their level of open-mindedness and optimism-- to not see that his interpretations are extemely subjective and dubious. Although I was trying to hang with him, he really lost me at the point where he showed a photo of a crystal from water that had been shown a picture of a crop circle and told us the crystal looked like a UFO. (To be fair, I was fascinated by the four crystal photos of Vivaldi's Four Seasons - they seemed to fit the seasons very well.)

There's 'good' new age, and there's 'bad' new age; it was very disappointing that this book drifted into the latter. I am still open to the idea that H2O may have interesting messages; Emoto just fundamentally fails to deliver. It received two stars because it is a nicely published book, and it did stimulate me to fantisize that, applying REAL scientific research, these ideas may lead to something interesting ... someday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starting Point, October 27, 2004
As much as there are pages with words in this book, there are just as many pages with photographs from water crystals from all over the world - from natural springs, from tap water, and then the images that were taken when different music was played, or when different positive and negative words and statements (samples were taking from many different languages) were written on a piece of paper.

Some sample words and statements were "love" and "you fool". The crystal which formed when the word "love" was written in Japanese looked so beautiful and well defined, that it almost made me begin to learn Japanese (soon, I will). But the havoc that the statement "you fool" created - I think that all who happen to use these words frequently either when referring to themselves or others, should take a closer look to get a picture as to what it does to their bodies.

It has been known to those who are involved in metaphysical studies that the vibration of love heals the body and that vibrations of fear, hate, lies cause the cells of the body to fall apart. The pictures in this book demonstrate what the vibrations of different ideas, thoughts, emotions, statements and music do to water.

This is an enlightening book which is intended to demonstrate the effect that music and words we use have on our bodies, given the fact that our bodies are mainly composed out of water.

The current edition of the book is an expanded version of the original book which contained only pictures and was reprinted due to its great demand.

The author did make few statements, though, which I do not consider entirely correct - one of them being that "ALL is made out of water" - I believe that, at least in view of both quantum physics and metaphysics, it would be more correct to state that - ALL is made out of intelligent energy - and that water in this case was a medium for experiments which have the workings of energy and vibration at the core.

Having an esoteric background, when I picked up this book, I was expecting it to go a little bit further - as in consciously intending outcomes and projecting them upon the glass of water, instead of just writing the words and statement on paper. One can, for example, also use litmus paper to measure the changes in pH levels in water after directing focused energy charged with specific thoughts, either purely mentally or through one's hands, into the glass of water.

2.0 out of 5 stars An experiment attempting to replicate Dr. Emoto's work..., May 26, 2005
Introduction: In an Advanced Placement Psychology class at Durango High School our group attempted to replicate Dr. Masaru Emoto's water experiments. In his studies, Dr. Emoto showed a correlation between thoughts or messages and the formation of water crystals.

Original Methods: In his experiment Dr. Emoto used about fifty different water sources varying from glacial water in Japanese mountains to filtered water from a faucet. Dr. Emoto attached different messages to each water sample and even had a Buddhist monk bless some of them. Some of the messages were: "Love and Gratitude," "Thank you," and "You make me sick." He included a variety of positive and negative thoughts. He then froze the water samples on Petri dishes in a freezer at -4 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 hours. His stated results showed a strong correlation between the message and the formation of the water crystals. Water samples with optimistic messages on them created "nice-looking" crystals and the ones with pessimistic messages created "ugly" crystals.

Critique: Dr. Emoto's experiment appears to have overlooked certain variables, and some of his conclusions may be based on assumptions that are not necessarily true. For example, Dr. Emoto failed to realize that there are hundreds of crystals in one drop of water, and through "experimenter bias" he may have subconsciously noticed certain crystals while disregarding others because of the suggestion of a certain message. In other words, he could have looked through thousands of crystals to find a beautiful one if he knew the message was a positive one, and -- consciously or unconsciously -- he could have looked for an ugly crystal if he knew the message was a negative one. Dr. Emoto does not state if the experiment was a double blind study, in which he was unaware of which messages were attached to which water sample, a measure that would eliminate this kind of experimenter bias. Because of this, we do not know if Emoto only photographed the "pretty" crystals because of the positive messages or was unconsciously drawn to "scary" crystals when he looked at samples with negative messages. His experiment is also open to diverse interpretations. He implies that certain crystal structures may reflect the thought that was attached to them, but he fails to recognize that there may be other relevant interpretations for analyzing the crystal formations. Because of the unnoticed variables in the experiment, our high-school A.P. Psychology group decided to try to remake Dr. Emoto's experiment.

Our Methods: Replicating Dr. Emoto's experiment proved to be a little more challenging than we originally thought it would be. Dr. Emoto got most of his water samples from the mountains of Japan; we had to settle with water from the Animas River, and other various water samples. This may have created a discrepancy in our conclusions, but both experiments tested the effect of thought on water, so the water type should have had no bearing on our results. We also used a control group for each type of water: A sample that had no message attached. We had five different types of water: Dasani, tap water, river water, filtered tap water, and tap water from a different location. Each type of water was labeled with a color, and for each type we attached 5 different messages to 5 different microscope slides containing the water sample, as well as having one "control" slide with no message. So all together we made 30 slides. The messages we used were "I despise you," "You make me sick," "Thank you," "Love and Gratitude," and "You are beautiful." We taped the messages, as well as a piece of colored paper that corresponded to the water type, onto the bottom of each slide. We were unaware of which message was on which slide in each water group. Although we took special precautions and were careful about experimenter bias, our experiment was not as wide-scale as Dr. Emoto's. We didn't have nearly as many samples as Dr. Emoto did. Another difficulty we faced was the temperature of the freezer and the time that we left the water in the freezer. Our freezer ranged from -2 to -10 degrees Fahrenheit, while Emoto's was at -4 degrees. This created different freezing times for the water samples. We had to wait until a thin layer of crystals was just beginning to form on the surface of the water before we could analyze them underneath our microscope, but at the same time, we could not let the water freeze completely or else we could not observe any crystals. We also used glass slides instead of Petri dishes, another source of possible discrepancy.

Conclusion: We did not find sufficient evidence to refute or accept Emoto's hypothesis that thought influences water crystal formation. We noticed one interesting similarity between two separate groups of water samples: Similar crystals formed on the same message, "I despise you." But, for the most part, the crystal formations in each water sample resembled each other, regardless of the messages attached to them. We concluded that in order to make a significant finding, further research would have to be done. So, for now, we will have to live with our curiosity and continue to wonder if our thoughts have the power to influence water and ultimately ourselves.

Amanda White,
Robbie Else,
Scott Wilson,
Damian Nash (teacher).
AP Psychology Class
Durango High School
May 25, 2004

Note: Science-minded readers will appreciate the study done by Kristopher Setchfield at [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars _Hidden Messages_ does not hold water, February 8, 2007
This review is from: The Hidden Messages in Water (Paperback)
Well, the photos are pretty. Cool idea but, as a Ph.D, I am appalled at the research methods. As a spiritual person, I appreciate what he has to say. Much more below:

My contention with this book is that the research is so clinically unsound, unscientific, and haphazardly rendered that it can bear no weight at all. Also, this seems to be a spiritual book looking for a mystifying way to support the author's points of view about conscious life, while showing some pretty photos garnered from water crystals as evidence. I have Ph.D. and I don't buy it -- pun intended. (Actually, the book was a gift :)

Faulty, unsupportable, unsound, unscientific, and extremnely simplistic research experiments. In one type of experiment, the author writes a word on a piece of paper and tape it to a glass of water -- word facing water -- then wait and observe the crystal formations of the water. He takes photos and concludes that the water is responding directly to the word (and not to him, not to anything else that might be in the environment.

However, there is no proof for the "messages from water" theory provided in this book -- he concludes that water creates certain "peaceful" and "beautiful" crystal patterns for positive words, emotions, and icky ones for negative words, emotions. Furthermore, the experiments did not account for the subjectivity of his own culturally-informed value judgments regarding what is considered positive/negative.

For instance, same example: the water's so-called response to the word -- it could be caused by any number of things, including arbitrariness. Say you go with his theory that water has messages for us, which I believe is not proven by his research, which is not to say it can't be "proven" or that water doesn't contain messages, but this is to say that he fails to consider so many other factors and influences such as:

Is the water responding to the experimenter who taped up the word? Is there a difference in crystal depending on the water source? Real science would have incorporated variables, and multiple multiple repetitions. Variables were not used such as different kinds of paper, different shapes, shades, sizes of paper, different writing/typing styles and sizes, different languages, different kinds of tape, different glasses with the same word. Instead, the author simply accepts as objectively given his own interpretation of water crystals as a true spiritual message.

Further, there is no idication of how many times he repeated the same word experiment? Because without repeat experimentations in a controlled environment, nothing is anywhere near proven. In the book it seems like each experiment is a one-time event and the parts about the crystal experiments read like arbitrary trials -- "hey, let's see how water responds to this word. Okay, now let's try another word. Wow, look at that." This doesn't prove anything. But the photos are beautiful. I'll give him that big time.

The author also fails to acknowledge quantum physics long-accepted breakthrough that an expermenter's own involvement with and presence during research effects the results of the research study? Suppose the water is responding to the researcher himself. Or some other factor. What is the margin of error for these so-called studies? I'd say huge, but the author never bothered to try to figure it out. Instead, we get a "beautiful" little "profound" spiritual book which is *really* about the message of the author, which actually may interest readers, because the message is inspirational and lovely and will make you feel good. (Unless you are is irritated as I am about his faulty water experiments held up as proof.)

The random pairing of water's messages and the author's message, while an innovative approach to draw seekers in and introduce them to his spiritual beliefs/philosophy is a dubious combination. I have no problem with his beliefs, but his attempt to "illustrate" them and concretize them with non-scientifically produced evidence is highly suspect. He has A LOT to say about contemporary issues and the spiritual state of the soul and consciousness, and I think his words would hold more water if he just wrote *that* book, instead of looking for proof for his beliefs in water crystals. His writing and thinking are very clear and his theory of life (not of water crystals) is beautiful and inspiring and mindful. but the two don't go together -- he is forcing them together. The theory is beautiful and fascinating (about the water crystals,) and would be moreso if it were true. But he provides no leaky evidence.

Yes, the water crystals are a lovely additionto the book (I guess they are suposed to be the subject of the book, but his spiritual philosophy is the subject -- they just agument, except that they don't. The experiments he did with water are fascinating. They just provide no evidence of anything other than that water forms hundreds (or more?) of kinds of crystals. But hey -- so do snowflakes. (I have no idea what the estimate is for how many different patterns snowflakes make.) But does this mean snowflakes are talking to us? Are their messages in snow?

This book will appeal to hopeful soulful people, and also uninformed, non-thinking people who will believe just about anything if novel enough -- if it is in a published book format, with photo documenation ("evidence.) It seems to be a "feel-good" book aimed at people who do not think too much and who want to be mystified by the universe.

But on a positive note, the author is a fantastic and innovative photographer, so the photographs are really cool -- an exhibit would be worthwhile. Perhaps the novelty of the chance process of how the crystals formed before the photographs were taken (which words, artworks, music) will appeal even more, due to the unusual circumstances under which these photographs came about. It would make for a great post-modern photo art exhibition and he has exhibited.

Conclusion: Phoney science; no statistics, no margin of error, no variables, no controlled environment for doing the water experiments, no accounting for the subjectivity of the author and his expectations of what he will discover -- for these surely influence what he discovers. As I said, he uses the crystals to prove his theory, but they don't hold up as objective messages separate and uninfluenced by the author himself. Representation is misleading. (In one case water provided a diffent "message" than expected, but the authors found a way to account for this difference in a way that that fit it back into their theory.)

There are SO MANY factors that could be going on in creating the water crystals and the only factor the author/photographer provide is that water has a message for us and that message is readible, and predictable, by them, through its crystals. I think MUCH more research would need to be done -- scientifically controlled with variables and so forth -- in order for his water to support his theory.

On another note, this is a spiritual book and it is interesting and in line with contemporary spiritual, consciousness, intelligent universe beliefs. He is an excellent writer and there are *certainly* "grains of truth" and "nuggests" that the reader can appreciate.

Well, drink 6-8 cups of water a day and think happy thoughts. This will produce positivity in your life and the optimism model and the water requirement ARE proven with excellent socio/scientific evidence.

Two stars to give him credit for trying. He really is intelligent, and his photos are lovely

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing Research on Healing, Consciousness, & Energy, June 18, 2004
Jed Shlackman (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a repackaged version of the research and photos of Dr. Emoto that were originally in a set of books that included a Japanese version of the text. This research has been popularized by a number of holistic health practitioners and new science/new thought metaphysical advocates. Emoto's evidence is very impressive, although I don't think he fully understands how the water reacts to its environment in some instances, such as the response of water to specific words. Words are energetically connected to human concepts, so the word actually transmits the concept/idea/feeling that people associate it with rather than the word actually having an energy apart from the consciousness of those who have used the word. If everyone suddenly decided that "satan" "devil" and "Hitler" were positive forces then those words could become positive influences on water. Water is inherently a neutral compound - neutral pH, etc., which is perfect for transmitting energy and information without corrupting the information. Emoto has done wonderful work examining water all over the world and seeing how water reacts to a variety of environmental stimuli. Follow-up controlled research would be useful to examine how human beliefs, intentions, and consciusness may influence how water responds to various tangible or recordable stimuli. This book is valuable even just for the water crystal photos throughout the book, and should inspire more people with materialistic, mechanistic views to expand their awareness.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could have, should have, didn't. BTW, one star in this case means zero stars..., October 30, 2005
I purchased this book having read the reviews on Amazon first .... which just goes to show how variable we all are in our judgemental levels, Eh?

First, let's be quite clear on one thing, as the word 'science' is mentioned so often by other reviewers of this book; there is no science in this book what so ever. The methodology used (where one can divine it) to 'test' water crystals is completely undocumented, unregimented and without rigour. Any results reported in this book therefore MUST be seen as conjecture, and highly coloured conjecture at that. I really was hoping for something better. The text itself is just chock-full of unqualified statements about the author's conclusions, as in "we can see...." and "it can be inferred..." and so on, when in actuality it is far from clear to see and it really can't be inferred at all. My hackles were well and truly up by the time the author administered the Coup de Grace, and I quote: "It is universally accepted that there can be no life without water, and if we accept that water, the source of all life, was sent from Outer Space, then logic leads us to the conclusion that all life, including that of Human Beings, is alien to this planet."

At this point, having acute mental indigestion already from the preceding 57 pages of tripe, my brain exploded.

The photographs in this book have drawn praise in other reviews - they are of interest, much as snowflake photography, or ultra-high definition audio recordings of micro-sounds can be (the proverbial sound of a pin dropping - yes, you can buy that as a recording), however they are presented as some sort of tea-leaf devinition, which they most certainly are not. One may as well lie on one's back in a field and give anthropological descriptors to cloud-shapes... this sort of schoolboy activity is just as "scientific" as Emoto's claims for the water crystals.

To close, let me say that I am unable to finish this book - it is just too 'specualtive' in the worst "crysal gazing" manner. There was so much that *could* have been done with the research, that what is presented here is not merely disappointing, it is an insult to a promising area of "bleep research". Others have gone before in researching water and it's mysteries - I refer particulary to the German farmers who sing ancient tonal songs to buckets of water and stir it in a rhythm before sprinkling on their crops - they have done so for generations; or the nineteenth century forest warden who developed and produced specially shaped flumes to 'activate' water on it's way to crops, with impressive results. Alongside these empirical stories, this book full of extraordinary and unsupported assertions is just useless. Sorry, lads, this one will hurt your mind - keep away.

2.0 out of 5 stars No scientic research, February 21, 2005
D. Steiny (New York City) - See all my reviews
The basic premise of this entire book and the philosophy of Masaru Emoto is that water crystals are affected by thoughts, attitudes and feelings. This is a very exciting idea and one that I really do want to believe in.

However, never in this book is there any scientific research - absolutely none. The most basic principle of scientific research is reproducible results by reputable third parties. Who are Emoto-son's researchers? Allow me to quote, "I wrote this experiment in the book that I published, and as a result hundreds of families throughout Japan conducted this same experiment for themselves. EVERYONE reported the same results." And that's all you get folks!

Really, I want to believe, I really do, but show some respect to human logic and scientific discipline. If there is ANY real research it should be in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating theory, and -- if true -- scary as hell, February 7, 2006
Just Bill (Grand Rapids, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hidden Messages in Water (Paperback)
I've been reading (and buying) more books lately that have New Age themes. For some reason, I seem to crave such knowledge -- especially regarding the environment and our spiritual ties to it.

The Hidden Messages in Water caught my attention immediately and quickly found its way to my home.

There's no way for me (as a layperson) to prove or disprove Dr. Emoto's thesis. I'd have to recreate his experiments and take incredible photographs of water molecules from all over the world. No way. One of the reviewers who claims to have a connection with Dr. Emoto gave me pause to wonder what's really going on behind the scenes with the man. Could all of this be a hoax? Sure it could.

But here's how I look at it: Even if his research methods are sloppy, I don't think that detracts from the message of his book. And his message is that water is crucial to life. Without it, we die. It's that simple.

What worries me about Dr. Emoto's detractors is that people may throw the baby out with the bath water (no pun intended). Let's look at the facts:

1. Human beings are made up of 70% water.

2. Pure, fresh water is becoming more scarce every day.

Hypothesis Question 1: What will happen to people (on a molecular level) when their sources of water are tainted?

Hypothesis Question 2: Is water "alive" and able to respond to environmental stimuli (much like plants)?

Hypothesis Question 3: How much like water are people? Meaning, if we study water, are we also studying ourselves?

My personal opinion (for whatever it's worth) is that I believe Dr. Emoto's research -- regardless of how far-fetched it may seem. Why? I'm not sure why. But I think it's because I can't argue with the facts. People are 70% water. The earth is 70% water. Interesting coincidence. I don't know what to make of that. But the coincidence is intriguing. Enough so that it gives me pause to dismiss Dr. Emoto's photographs and conclusions.

The conclusions derived from this line of thinking are staggering. What if water *does* react to environmental stimuli? Would that not mean that the earth, too, might also be "alive" in some sense, also reacting to environmental stimuli? Many religions and cultures down through the ages have affirmed as much. What if Dr. Emoto is finally proving that to be true?

Bottom line: I believe this book. I have no proof to back up that statement, however. I'm going by sheer gut feeling. I think there's more to this world that we don't see than we do see. For example, the fact that every solid object is really -- at the atomic level -- merely a collection of whirling protons, neutrons and electrons freaks me out. I can't see them. But scientists tell me they're there. In constant motion. Vibrating at a specific, unique frequency. So that, in reality, nothing is truly solid. I have no proof of that. Yet I believe it.

If Dr. Emoto's book does nothing except raise the level of awareness regarding the importance of water, I think it would have served its purpose. Even if water isn't alive as he claims, the fact remains that we can't live without it. We need to do all we can to preserve and protect it!

Read the book. Draw your own conclusions.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book deserves a minus 5 stars, I am amazed at how many good people accept without question what this guy presents, September 3, 2007
I am a water efficiency consultant. I am fascinated and amazed by the magical beauty of water. But I also recognize that there are many scientific principles that govern the behavior of water. That science does not detract from the beauty and mystery of water for me. I do not need to throw science out the window to appreciate that beauty but apparently many others do. I once watched a 2 hour slide show and talk by Mr. Emoto, hoping to ask questions. He refused to take any questions afterwards, even though I had plenty. Where are the side by side comparisons of the ice structure of the same water that did not have the word or picture influences? Until similar photos are created with a control group and with the involvement of neutral 3rd party scientists, I can not believe any of the claims. But I will always have a childlike amazement at the endless beauty and mystery of water.

The Hidden Messages in Water
The Hidden Messages in Water by Masaru Emoto (Paperback - September 20, 2005)
$17.95 $10.12