1,714 Reviews

Published 17 months ago by BJW

3.0 out of 5 stars not your typical Harvath thriller
Published 17 months ago by dch822

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightening, July 10, 2013
Read cover to cover last night. I have read several books about the Federal Reserve but this novel really brought everything into focus. Not only a great story but also very relevant to our nations current condition. I really hope the last chapter doesn't come to pass but I fear it will. This is the best book that Brad Thor has written and undoubtedly the most important.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL THRILLER - A BOOK WHOSE TIME HAS COME, July 11, 2013
WOW...everything you would want in a thriller and one of the most timely books I have ever read. I have a degree in economics with graduate work and 25+ years on Wall Street. Brad Thor has told a great story and weaved into it the perils the country faces as the Federal Reserve (as "Federal" as Federal Express) is not at all "Federal" and has no "Reserves" and will fight for its existence. Did it have a time and place? Yes, surely. But it has no regulatory agency oversight, arrogantly refuses or deflects from direct questions at hearings, and for years has benefited from those tossing out "Black Helicopter Loons" to dismiss it's critics when it has been discussed.

The Fed is a club. It was created in secret and it operates in secret ("Hidden Order delves into this in detail) with no intentions at all of being transparent or being reigned in. Instead of fixing the systemic issues it brought about from the years of easy money by Greenspan, this stooge Bernanke, along with Turbo-Tax Timmy, bailed out all their powerful friends. But don't let Bush off the hook as Hank Paulson, via the Goldman Sachs revolving door into Fed and Treasury policy, diverted the TARP funds to pay premiums for pure junk to their pals, not the American people who are still hurting.

It's a wonderful read and an informative read. Mr. Thor has been appearing on more shows than any author I have seen of late and this book should be a real eye-opener for those who thought we are on the right track because the train is speeding and barely holding the rails thanks to this clandestine group that tacks on more-and-more debt that even our grand children will be burdened by. The Fed needs to be stopped and this awareness Mr. Thor brings to the people in this thriller is a good start for the common man. I already have seen and fully understood the points in the book due to education and working on the street. Now the general public has an great read and an education to go with it. Thank you Mr. Thor. A job well done...kudos

P.S. And on the day of its release Bernanke issued a statement: "Highly accommodative monetary policy for the foreseeable future is what's needed in the U.S. economy." The stock market was looking vulnerable, interest rates were rising, and that affects profits. The club can't have that so the taxpayer funded bailouts will continue. The Fed MUST be audited and reigned in. And you'll understand why when you read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars "THRILLING, SUSPENSEFUL, EXPLOSIVE ACTION!", July 9, 2013
New York Times bestselling author Brad Thor delivers a Masterpiece thriller of power, politics, murder, and conspiracy. The U.S. is on the verge of collapse, danger is everywhere, candidates turn up dead and Harvath is forced to find the answers in the greatest threat America has ever seen, while the clock ticks fast. A fine line exists between good and evil as fear continues to fill the air. The colorful characters come to life, the setting is picture-perfect and the compelling story grabs your attention in this mesmerizing thriller from beginning to end. Exciting, entertaining, and enjoyable read. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars not your typical Harvath thriller, July 16, 2013
dch822 (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
I've been a fan of this series for a long time but HIDDEN ORDER isn't your typical Scot Harvath thriller - so if you're expecting a tense race against the clock to thwart a large scale terror attack or if you'd like to see Harvath hunt down and punish bad guys looking to do us harm, then this one is a bit of a curveball and might not be as satisfying as previous Brad Thor books. There's obviously no pleasing everyone - if it was your typical Harvath storyline then there'd be those criticizing it for being the same old thing, but because this one actually IS different, it'll be criticized as well.

Anyway, I enjoyed it, I just didn't love it - partly it was having Harvath play domestic detective, but I think the main thing was that the historical clues and references and symbolism being made by the "bad guys" had very little (if anything) at all to do with the resolution of the story.

Also, in the beginning of the book there's a meeting between a Jordanian intelligence official and an American CIA operative at an airport in Germany - information is passed along that there's a known threat against the US, but the Jordanians want something in return for sharing the specifics of that threat. The CIA operative sets out to do anything she can to get this information and stop the attack and of course it was obvious that the CIA agent and Harvath were going to cross paths and join the same team, and I found myself looking forward to what they were going to do about the terror plot, thinking maybe it had already been set in motion and was actually the case Harvath was working on, only ... well, nothing ever comes of it. It's like an afterthought at the end of the book. Literally, we're simply told that the Jordanians took care of it for us.

Still, there is plenty of fast-paced action with some twists and turns. The "surprises" might not necessarily be shocking or even all that surprising, but there's enough here to keep you reading through to the end. It might not be your typical Scot Harvath thriller, but hey ... it's still Scot Harvath, and if you're already a fan of this series then there's plenty to like here.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~~Murders, Mayhem and Mysteries~~, July 9, 2013
Arriving back in the US after his mission near Somalia, Scot Harvath is tired, both mentally and physically. There is no rest for the weary, however. Reed Carlton, his boss, has another priority job for him. This one involves the Federal Reserve Board.

Just to add a little more intrigue, in Frankfurt, Germany, a CIA intelligence officer has learned of an advanced terrorist threat against the US.

From the cover-ups in the CIA, to the grisly murders of some successors for the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, this is one terrific read. Lots going on at many levels but all of this is plausible. And, yes, it tends to be a tad scary!

It is a well written novel and contains a "wealth" of information about the Federal Reserve Board and its background.

And, finally, it does make one wonder about what could happen in our country if the time is right for this type of change.

Most highly recommended..

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing because I expected more, July 13, 2013
I like Brad Thor. I like his values, his viewpoints, and the general spirit in his books. I read his first two novels and thought he had potential. From there I saw him grow as a storyteller. I was looking forward to this book as a summer read but found myself disappointed at the end. While there were things to be learned regarding the Federal Reserve System, I thought Thor was skimpy on his details and plot and his characters are too two-dimensional. Had I been imprisoned on a long airplane flight I may have enjoyed this more, but by the book's end I'd lost a lot of interest in the story and the characters. With Vince Flynn's untimely passing, there is a huge void in the thriller genre. I still hope Mr. Thor will step into this void, but he needs gravitas. It is hard to argue against popularity and financial success, but I think he should fire his agent and editor and find a team that can push him to deeper work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Order, July 20, 2013
Jill Gearns (Surprise, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Not enough action for Scot Horvath. More cop than avenger. Would rather see him in action against foreign terrorists. Looked like a book to introduce a new series with different characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, July 28, 2013
The readers of the Scott Horvath series have come to know him as an extremely skilled counterterrorism operative. I have read all of these books, for the excitement of "seeing" Scott Horvath kick ass with the attitude and demeanor that I sincerely hope is a true illustration of what the United States is doing to protect this country.

I want to read about Scott Horvath doing what he does best---kicking ass and taking bad people out. Sadly, that never really occurred in this book. For that reason, I give it only three stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, July 9, 2013
Excellent Read! Digitally delivered this morning I stopped reading only briefly. Brings meaning to the term "Faction" when compared to today's world. One can only hope that America's story follows where this story leads! Good Work Brad!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the kind of Brad Thor story I look forward to reading, July 14, 2013
I am a huge Brad Thor fan, buying all his books and telling friends about him as well. I won't be recommending Hidden Order to anyone. The bravest and best, Scott Harvath, is a stumbling bit player in 90% of this book. The female Boston detective is the main character and Harvath plays second fiddle through most of this story. If this is Thor's plan to introduce a love interest into the life of the dashing Harvath, readers should have been forewarned. This one just lacks the Brad Thor spit and polish I have come to so enjoy and look forward to reading. In these times, most of us know bad things are coming down the pike. Although informative, we buy these kinds of books to escape for awhile and feel, if only for a moment, that somehow the good guys will win. Yes, the good guys win in the story but that win is not believable under today's political oppression.

Hidden Order: A Thriller (Scot Harvath)
Hidden Order: A Thriller (Scot Harvath) by Brad Thor (Mass Market Paperback - May 20, 2014)
$9.99 $9.83