5.0 out of 5 stars Higgledy Piggledy Jazz makes for FUN piano learning!, July 7, 2013
First off, make sure you buy this through Elena Cobb's Website or Amazon.co.uk if this item isn't around 9 euros...

I am a piano teacher in America who teaches a variety of ages, and I was seeking out books that would not only be enjoyable to play, but would "catch" the attention of my students who were plateauing or who would not practice because of sports, or being forced, etc. I was desperate to find something that would have them sit down at the piano bench ON THEIR OWN because the music in front of them made them happy and eager to learn.

In my search several months ago, I stumbled upon Elena Cobb's website, and I ordered the "Higgledy Piggledy Jazz" book (I bought the first edition, before the newer edition with the improvisation sections were added), as well as the "Blue River" book and was very relieved that find that her piano pieces were infectious; a great introduction to Jazz Piano. I also noticed that at the same time, it was teaching beginning students a strong sense of rhythm, and how to get a better feel for keeping a steady "pulse," especially while playing with the CD that comes with the book. She has everything going in her books to drive a student to practice: color-coded chords for better comprehension, silly lyrics and singable tunes that has you humming them throughout the day, and even a CD with different tempos and "band-versus-no live band" options. The students who have been working from the two books have thoroughly enjoyed the pieces, and has even performed them at our last recital...giving the recital a much-needed positive energy that it has been lacking lately. I look forward to handing out more of her pieces, as every composition in her children's book seems to be a winner.

If you have not already ordered the book, I would say it is easily one of the best children's jazz book on the market and you'll be pleasantly surprised at it's power for being a treasure of reward pieces while lesson book songs get a little stale during lessons.

On a side note, her piano book "Blue River"(for older or more experienced pianist) is very exciting as well. I have really enjoyed playing her upbeat Latin pieces: "Tango Leone" and "Cloud Seven," as well as her beautiful piece called "Star Dust."

P.S, my twin boys are 2.5 years old, and I have been introducing them to piano and rhythm since infancy. The CD that comes with the book is great for using rhythm shakers, tambourines, etc. The three of us played along to the beat with different shakers for an entire hour once, without them loosing interest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, January 1, 2014
Claire Ann Westlake (Mesa,, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This introductory book to jazz is just.... plain.......AWESOME! It is so much fun! Your students will love it! You will too as your students/children will practice more because they are enjoying their pieces. They will learn about articulation, counting, keeping a steady beat, chord changes and so on. There is also a CD included so your students can play along with a live jazz band at slow and fast tempos. Boogie bass, polka, blues are just a few of the other things they will be exposed to in this book. The opportunity to improvise using the blues scale is even included. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for something new and innovative for their studio.

Higgledy Piggledy Jazz: for Piano with a Play-Along CD
Higgledy Piggledy Jazz: for Piano with a Play-Along CD by Elena Cobb (Paperback - April 4, 2013)
Out of stock