Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on February 14, 2013
For the money this is a good camera. There has been a lot of speculation that if the camera gets wet it is ruined. I coated the entire camera with black RTV silicon and let it dry. I repeated this 2 more times. It has been through rain, sleet, salt, winter snow, etc.. and works perfect. I would not recommend directly spraying the camera with a water hose because it may loosen the RTV silicon. Also, if you have a license plate light it may wash out the camera at night. I attached a relay to my license plate light that is powered by the camera so when the camera goes on the license plate light goes off.
22 comments97 of 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2014
i wish i could leave 0 stars.

ont buy this camera, never buy this camera, stop looking at its price tag and move on.

every single one of the negative reviews on this camera is what i'm experiencing. a drive in some light rain on the highway - water and fogging lens - immediately upon installing, everything that should be green is pink, the image is horrid.

the 5 star reviews cant possibly be anything but the company leaving reviews for their own product.

i dont know what i expected from a $14 camera, but for some reason i bought it in hopes that i would get lucky and mine would be fully functional, i even tried the tip about using RTV silicon around the camera's seams (which are enormous enough to see LIGHT through, should have been my first clue) to water proof it but that was to no avail.

the 170 degree angle is a joke (closer to 90, maybe 100, the use of the term "high definition" should be outright illegal with this product, it has a single analog connector, and of course if you know anything about video cables you know this cant carry HD, its the same cable i used to use on my Nintendo 64.

the fact that amazon even allows this on their site is disturbing, and its not like i even got this from some marketplace seller, mine was filled BY amazon.

just stay away from this camera unless you want to waste $15.
0Comment43 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2015
Got about 1 month use out of it, left my truck sitting for about 5 weeks and now the camera somehow is all full of moisture. I guess for $17 I should have expected it
review image
on July 7, 2015
Nice camera. Bought it together with a Boss audio radio. So far works great, good image day and night. Happy. (July 4th)

UPDATE: Ooops. Too fast. (July 8) Less than a week and the camera got wet in rain and has water *inside* the lens and leds. :( Bummer. This is supposed to be Waterproof! Downgrading it to three stars and contacting the seller.
review image review image
on October 9, 2013
I read about people complaining about water getting in the plastic lens and fogging up. I have had this for a few months now and so far after hard rain, pressure washing every other week, and drive through car washes, i have not had the camera lens fog up. Night vision works pretty decent and color is a bit off. But for the price i wasn't expecting the best camera. However for the price and no issues, I can't complain.
0Comment25 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2015
Upon installation, I will say, this is an OKAY camera. It does its job, and even at night, one can see. The only problem I encounter is that the yellow RCA is cheap quality. When I installed it on my head unit, and was putting everything back together, the video signal went off. Upon inspection, I removed the RCA and to my surprise, the metal came off from the stick. I had to cut the cable and use a spare RCA and match the negative and positive, because I was not going to buy a new one and go through all hassle. For the price, I recommend, just beware and handle the cables with the same care one will have with a new born baby.
review image
on September 16, 2013
it has a limited field of view of about 90 degrees, not the 170 wide field as described, so not useful
0Comment23 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2013
This is the second back up camera for my pickup truck. The first succumed to a pepetually fogged lens. Hve had this one for over a month, 1500 miles and some heavy rans and it is still working well.
0Comment16 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2013
Pros:
Lightweight
Affordable

Cons:
Viewing angle is not conducive for anything other than a low to the ground passenger vehicle. This was mounted to my 2008 Toyota Highlander at the top of the license plate. Even after adjusting the vertical angle of the camera, the parkinglines are more hindrance than help. I tried to adjust it to be able to see my tow hitch for the purpose of hooking up/backing up to trailers. The camera simply doesn't have enough vertical angle adjustment to accomplish this without mounting it lower on the vehicle risking damage or easy theft.

Cheap plastic. The mounting points are not good quality or not dense enough. I was fearful that I would crack the mounting points when installing it. They are also slightly bowed in towards the vehicle.

Image quality is NOT HD! I should've known from the start because HD cameras use HDMI cables. The quality of the image is comparable to VCR. The color didn't work for me. Trees were pink...anything that was supposed to be green was pink actually.

IR illumination was virtually non existent. I didn't have washout from my LED license plate lights and I even unplugged the bulbs for reverse lights to test it.

Components cables were WAY too short for a feasible application for my SUV. The power feed cable gauge was about 12" and the signal wire for power source was about 8-10 copper fibers twisted and shouldered at the tip... Should be at least 18gauge automotive wire to match standards of UL and the auto industry standards to prevent electrical short/fire. The video cable was almost too short to wire to my head unit, it needs at least 3 more feet for trucks and medium SUV applications.

Appearance after install. There is no denying that you have a back up camera installed, high gloss plastic and generally bulky makes it a sore thumb begging to be stolen. Opt for a less obvious mount type such as the cavity for your license plate illumination housing.

My reccomendation is to spend a few more $ for better quality / ease of install.
0Comment31 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2014
I installed this back up camera on a Monday and used it for the first time on that Thursday. It had already accumulated moisture in the lens somehow. It did rain, but I haven't even driven the truck! Now the picture is bright and blurry. If it weren't for this, I think it would be a great camera for the price.