5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent All-Purpose Backpack
The qualities I look for in a backpack are durability and usefulness (usually size, practicality, etc...). This pack meet all those expectations. It is a backpack that would be equally comfortable on a long 7-8 hour hike or a 10 minute walk to class. With adjustable bands essentially everywhere, it is easy to limit the 'bulkiness' of the pack itself.

The bag...
Published on February 22, 2008 by aceman9188

3.0 out of 5 stars The [Now Not So] Perfect Mid-Size Backpack
[Update 2010-10-28]
Published on May 19, 2010 by MyBeesWax

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent All-Purpose Backpack, February 22, 2008
aceman9188 (Ann Arbor, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: High Sierra Loop Backpack (Sports)

The bag feels surprising large for the specified volume, but also weighs very little when empty. The cushioning all over the straps provides a soft touch. One thing that I didn't like is the feel/texture of the padding on the back. It feels like padding that has been covered up by a cheap plastic. Fortunately, the yoke shaped harness transfers most of the load on your shoulders and away from the back.

Durability wise, I cannot yet make a definite statement, but it seems to be extremely well built. The stitching looks to be good at every joint, and under heavy loads, there doesnt seem to be too big of an issue with the stitches stretching.

Overall, this was an excellent buy, and I plan on using it for years to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars The [Now Not So] Perfect Mid-Size Backpack, May 19, 2010
MyBeesWax "A Music Fan" (The Heart of the Golden State) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
[Update 2010-10-28]
After about half a year, one of the shoulder straps started ripping apart at the seam, and the zipper to the front pocket had broken off. I think the high ratings for this backpack are based on early user experiences. I had initially rated the backpack 5 stars myself, but I'm downgrading the rating to 3 stars because this backpack isn't very durable. I've had JanSport backpacks that have held up to *years* of heavy use. If you're looking for something more durable, you might want to spend a little more to get a JanSport or a North Face backpack (both of which are renowned for their quality and durability).

-- Original review follows --
The backpack is perfect for school or for outdoor activities such as hiking and camping. It has plenty of pockets for putting your stuff in:

Compartments
------------
- 2 Side Pockets
Each of the two side pockets has an elastic band and see-through mesh netting. Each pocket is an ideal place for putting a water bottle, a pair of hiking poles, or even a tripod. I use one of the pockets for a camera tripod and the other for a water bottle when I'm out shooting.

- 3 zippered compartments
There are 3 other zippered compartments besides the main zippered compartment.

o The largest of the compartments (located in front of the backpack) has lots of pockets for putting your calculator, cell phone, stationery, etc. It has plenty of room; it will fit 3 or 4 small paperback books, just to give you a rough idea of its size. There's a hook for attaching your keychain too.

o The topmost compartment has an opening for threading the wire of a pair of headphones/earphones through so you can listen to music while the MP3 player is safely stowed away in the compartment.

Size
----
The High Sierra site lists the size as follows:

Size: 19.5" x 14.5" x 8.250"
Capacity: 1949 cubic inches

It's a bit bigger than the smallest backpacks but not too big. Personally, the size of this backpack suits me *perfectly*. I wanted a backpack with plenty of room to carry the essentials but not one that is over-sized and clumsy.

Straps
------
- Shoulder Straps
The shoulder straps are very comfortable even with a heavy/fully-loaded backpack. It has an elastic pocket for putting your cell phone so you always have your cell phone within easy reach.

- Bottom Straps
The bottom of the backpack has a pair of straps for strapping on additional equipment you need to bring along.

- Side straps
The side straps work in tandem with the side pockets to keep your stuff safely secured.

Quality
-------
The quality of this backpack is top-notch. The stitching and the materials used are very high quality. The insides are lined with nylon (makes backpack water-resistant).

---
I absolutely love the High Sierra Loop Backpack. It is just the right size for me, it has plenty of pockets, and its quality is superb. If you're looking for a medium-sized backpack, this one is definitely worth consideration.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of disappointed, August 27, 2008
This review is from: High Sierra Loop Backpack (Sports)
My current backpack of choice is a High Sierra single strap backpack. I got this one since I thought it would be the same as my other backpack, but have two straps. There are a couple things that sadly are not the same. The main compartment doesn't have a padded divider. Since I use my backpack mostly to carry around my laptop, a padded divider would have been a HUGE plus. The second thing is that the compartment meant for your iPod (or other mp3 player of your choice) is the same plasticy fabric that lines rest of the backpack. In my single strap High Sierra, it had soft fabric for that compartment which definitely prevented scratching. The yolk at the top between the two straps is uncomfortable. I can feel it pressing against my back. Maybe I just haven't adjusted it correctly yet. Those things aside, it still has the same high quality construction and has plenty of room. Maybe once I break it in a bit more I'll be happier with it.

Update: Yeah, this backpack blows. I have tried adjusting the straps in various ways, but that yoke piece is still bothersome. If you look at the picture of the mannequin from the back, you can see exactly what I'm talking about. Either the backpack has a gap between it and your back or that yoke is pressing into your neck. Personally, I want a backpack to sit flush on my back so if you need to bust out a sprint to catch the bus, the backpack isn't bouncing around smacking the crap out of you. It also helps defuse the weight more evenly. Even though the single strap High Sierra backpack tends to fatigue my shoulder if I wear it for too long, it's still infinitely more comfortable than this one. Gave it to my nephew to play with. He uses it to "play school".

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality and design, great customer service, May 13, 2012
This review is from: High Sierra Loop Backpack (Sports)
I've used this bag twice a week for school for the past 8 months, and every single one of the cloth zipper pulls have unraveled/shredded. The more the pulls unravel, the more they are caught in the zippers. So I've had to cut them all of them off. The seams of the backpack are also coming unraveled such that 2-inch-long threads are hanging loose at seams all over the bag. Now I'm on Amazon shopping for a better quality backpack.

UPDATE: High Sierra has a 100% satisfaction guarantee for their products. The claim was very easy to file and quickly processed. While they don't offer refunds, they did replace the bag and send a $10 rebate for future purchases. While this new bag does not seem to be of significantly different quality than the old one, HS should be commended for great customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-made backpack, June 11, 2007
This review is from: High Sierra Loop Backpack (Sports)
This is a well-made backpack, comfortable to wear and convenient to use. Lots of pockets, good for everyday casual use, e.g., school, travel, light outdoor activity.

5.0 out of 5 stars map/ash is a beautiful color, January 25, 2011
This review is from: High Sierra Loop Backpack (Sports)
This backpack is great. After my old Jansport backpack, I wanted something that supported my back a little more. At first, I wasn't used to the middle section of the straps digging into my neck, but I realize that it's there to take some weight off your shoulders and transfer to the back, and now I appreciate it because my shoulders feel so much better! The shoulder straps also have a nice suspension system and are cushioned very well, which makes carrying heavy books less of a burden.

I'm a small person, so I wanted a backpack that wasn't so big, and this was a perfect fit. It's not a huge bag, but it fits a lot more than you'd expect. Also, the City Map/Ash color is very urban and unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome backpack!, September 13, 2007
I really love this backpack! It is just the perfect size and perfect color! This is my first year in high school and it fits all of my books really well!I would definatly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great school bag, July 13, 2011
This review is from: High Sierra Loop Backpack (Sports)
My 14 year old daughter needed a strong school bag and also a tall one as some folders are quite big. This bag is perfect. It is strong and allows to put all she needs inside, plus the price is decent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Backpack Trouble, March 19, 2011
This review is from: High Sierra Loop Backpack (Sports)
I owned this backpack for approx. 7 months before the zipper lost one of the "teeth", had one of the zipper parts come off track, and had this zipper come away from the seem. I was using this backpack for school. Since I am still in high school I had 3-4 textbooks in it at a time carrying it from class to class. This backpack could probably handle the abuse it would get from a middle schooler carrying lighter loads and only to and from school, or a person taking it on a vacation trip packing lightly and only clothing and essentials.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like what i wanted, July 11, 2011
Ryan S B (Somewhere, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: High Sierra Loop Backpack (Sports)
Its a back pack. It holds a lot of stuff...Feels pretty snug on my shoulders, has 2 water bottle spots. warning to those adventurers though, this backpack is not waterproof/resistant...If you ever think youll be caught in the rain this thing will not hold out a lot of water. Major disappointment on that front.