4.0 out of 5 stars Good value duffel(le?) bag
I was a little skeptical of the quality since the pictures don't really show too much detail, but I've been very pleased with this bag. Good price, nice and roomy inside (room for pair of sneakers, shower shoes, 2 gym outfits, small towel), durable nylon fabric, and big fat zippers that are easy to open with one hand. Very pleased overall.
Published on March 11, 2008 by B. Ray

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but not quite perfect.
I'm 5'2, while the strap and shoulder pad of this bag is probably built for someone around 5'7, so I don't get the benefit of the pad after the strap is adjusted.

Published on June 10, 2009 by K. Chan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value duffel(le?) bag, March 11, 2008
B. Ray (Syracuse, NY) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Nice Construction, June 7, 2008
This review is from: High Sierra Bubba Duffel (Apparel)
It wasn't big and bulky like some so-called other "small" duffels I bought. It was just the right size for squeezing into a small-to-medium sized locker. The zippererd side pocket for holding wet things or shoes, I felt, was a little small, but Ok. I had to push a bit to get in a medium sized pair of sneakers. But the overall duffel material was a good semi-stiff fabric: not too flimsy (like a thin nylon one), but not too stiff either. It was almost like a medium canvas material.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but not quite perfect., June 10, 2009
This review is from: High Sierra Bubba Duffel (Apparel)

Wish there are more compartments, which would really help sort out all the things in the relatively big bag. There's a main compartment, a side compartment, a small pocket on the side of the main compartment, and a small mesh pocket that would probably fit a small water bottle (not my 32-oz Nalgene).

The bag size probably work better for a weekend getaway; can be 25% smaller for gym after work.

The bag seems pretty sturdy so far, and it comes with lifetime warranty (which I'd rather not have to use). It's a good bag, just isn't perfect for what I have in mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of old/new bag models sold as the same bag, September 27, 2011
This review is from: High Sierra Bubba Duffel (Apparel)
I ordered two bags in different colors expecting them identical in every other respect. However, when I received the bags I discovered they were VERY different from each other: one was lighter, flimsier, with a side pocket lining made out of tarp-like material, which makes annoying crinkling sound, while the other was heavier, with a sturdier bottom, and more nicely finished with a nylon side pocket lining. Both bags are Bubba 7118, but the labels differ and I suspect one is an older model. I had a good look at the two bags and at the pictures of them in various colors, and I suspect that the bags with the logo on the side pocket are the newer model, while the ones with the logo above the side pocket are the older one. That would explain minor differences in straps as well as curious repetition of color varieties. While I don't care much for the older model (the tarp-like pocket noise drives me crazy), I really like the newer model. Unfortunately the older model bags are not less expensive, and it's also hard to know for sure which model you pick while shopping.

Model issues aside, I'd give it four stars otherwise, because it is a nice bag, just the right size for the gym, and reasonably priced. It would be easier if the bags were marketed appropriately, but that's the downside of internet shopping.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sports Bag, October 28, 2012
This review is from: High Sierra Bubba Duffel (Apparel)
Okay, I purchased this High Sierra gym bag back in 2010 and it started falling apart soon after.

The only reason I gave it one star is because that is the lowest score they allow me to give.

The first thing that I noticed is that the stitching on the inside of the bag seemed kinda loose and was not trimmed very well. There were a lot of hanging treads that later just started to come undone. So rather than send it back I tried to work with it by smearing some Elmer's Glue on all the seams to keep the stitching from continuing to become further undone and having the whole bag just fall apart on me. That worked. The next issue showed up about a year later. This issue concerned the inner lining that is made out of some sort of plastic/vinyl material that started to crack and then break off in small pieces and continues to do so. Pretty messy. I assume this will continue to be the case until the entire lining is gone and I am left with the back side of the exterior in the bag. I am currently looking for a new sports bag and have decided on one that I saw at R.E.I. This one here: [...]

I looked on Amazon and just didn't see anything that I wanted.

Bottom line. I cannot recommend this product although it did serve me for two years.

Update: May 2013

The plastic inner lining in the bag did continue to crack and break off in small pieces until it was almost all gone. I am still finding pieces if it all over my bedroom and closet. Glad to have gotten rid of it and purchased the REI Tech Beast 40L Gym Duffel for $80.00. A much better bag and I can highly recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Duffle of Duffles, October 23, 2009
This review is from: High Sierra Bubba Duffel (Apparel)
I read a lot of the reviews on Amazon and, from experience, found them to be true. The bad is pretty durable, good for taking with you to the gym as well as for a short travel. The pocket in the front has a lot of space in it but doesn't subtract from the space inside the bag where most of things one will use will be placed. It only has one side pocket, which made me a little sad. The side pocket has a pocked within it, a good place for storing things like watches and wallets if you need to. I wouldn't suggest using the water holder though because in my experience those designs fail. The pocket is good for plastic water bottles but as you'll notice when you buy the bad, it doesn't have a bottom, instead the side of the water holder is attached to the bag. This means if you force it in there it will rip the bag or possibly push the water bottle out. That is the only flaw I found with this bad. Otherwise the zippers are big and easy to find and I would recommend this bag to anyone who is thinking of buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy carry-on, November 23, 2012
This review is from: High Sierra Bubba Duffel (Sports)
My husband and I purchased 2 of these duffels for a recent trip to Cental America as we didn't want to check any bags. These fit perfectly in the airplane overhead bins with no issues. We both fit over a weeks worth of clothing, shoes and toilette in our duffels and didn't feel like we had to sacrifice taking anything just to make it all fit.

These bags are heavy duty with a large inner compartment, U-shaped opening, one good sized end pocket (I kept my toiletries bag in this pocket which made pulling it out for customs & TSA simple), and one large, expandable front pocket intended for wet and dirty items.

My only complaint might be that the shoulder strap is sewn to the bag itself rather than clipping on, so when it eventually tears or breaks that's it for the bag. Other than that the bag and zippers seem pretty heavy duty. I expect these will last for many trips to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bag for the gym, March 4, 2010
This review is from: High Sierra Bubba Duffel (Apparel)
I bought this bag to use to carry clothes/shower items back and forth to the gym. I like the extra compartment for wet things. I put my shower sandals in there. Bag is sturdy and I would venture to use this as an overnight bag as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute but Functional, September 23, 2010
This review is from: High Sierra Bubba Duffel (Apparel)
I bought the pink/grey bag because I needed something to carry all my work out gear, shoes, and clothes. I love the way it looks, the pink/grey color is really pretty. It also looks like I spent a lot more than $25 because the quality is great. Its the perfect size for me and fits everything I need with room to spare. Only thing I didn't like was the fact that the pocket for holding a water bottle was so tiny. Other than that a great medium sized bag for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, May 21, 2009
Jami Barrett (Nelsonville, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: High Sierra Bubba Duffel (Apparel)
I really love this duffle bag. It carries loads of clothes for when I work and need to change. Has a compartment for any smaller items I have, on both sides and a place to put my wet clothes after I swim. It's not full size like the other people at the gym but I really can't imagine needing THAT much space for working out. Seriously.
I love the green color mine is too!

High Sierra Cross Sport Duffel Bubba Pacific, Blue Velvet