HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon December 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
I travel a lot. I spent 14 weeks overseas this year, and made several trips across the US as well. I've always preferred duffels as they make it through the luggage system without being torn up. I know it seems illogical, but soft luggage seems to handle the rough treatment the best.

This bag is a bit bigger than your typical large travel duffel. When it first arrived, I made two quick conclusions:

What I thought was red was quite orange
The zipper clearly was no YKK. It rode rough. [ Update: The zipper loosened up, and almost a year later, works just fine... ]

That being said, the configuration was different than what I was used to, and I embarked on adjusting.

Upsides: There is a bottom compartment that can be used to flat long things like pants, shirts, or could be used as the 'garbage dump' for dirty clothes. Also, there are two end compartments that can be used for shoes. The only downside to these two features is that they eat into the wide open space in the center of the storage space.

Downsides: The wheels are too small for my liking. It makes a LOT of loud noise when rolling over pavement. It tends to want to flip around more than duffels with slightly larger wheels. The zipper zips rough and I feel worried that it may not hold up. The bag is just a bit longer than your average airport luggage rack. It will hang over. The price to be paid for an extra large duffel.

It won't go through the automatic bag check in with Lufthansa.

All said and done, the bag itself hasn't failed me or disappointed me, though if I had it to do again I would look more closely at other options. The price point and design is what snagged me. I started by rating the bag a 4, but by the time I finished the review and looked back, I changed it to a 3. That's rare for me, so take that in account that my initial thought was a 4. Maybe a 3.5 would be best .

Feel free to ask any questions in the comments and I'll do my best to answer the same day.

[ UPDATE almost a year later, I've spent almost as much time overseas this year as last year. I've flown about 38,000 miles. I'm replacing this bag with another one of the same. It's getting a little rough. If I only traveled in the US, I would be fine with it. Many of my overseas trip require extensive walking at the far end, and I don't want to chance losing a wheel or having a blowout on the next trip (of 1 month). I'm more willing to endorse this bag than I was last year! ]
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 34"Color Name: AmazonVerified Purchase
I go back and forth to Pennsylvania attending various livestock functions and always seem to bring back a whole lot of items. Everything fits in this case easily.Stands up to TSA handing. Only complaint is that when it is left alone you need to lean it up against a rail or something.Easy to spot in baggage area. My family was impressed about how much I could stuff in there and still be under the 50 lbs limit.
on September 16, 2013
Size Name: 34"Color Name: LavaVerified Purchase
I bought this 'suitcase' thinking it was the orange version of my husband's that I liked a lot. As soon as I opened the box I realized it was definitely not the same one but my trip to Australia was the next day so I didn't have time to exchange it. I prayed it would make it at least TO Australia given that the materials are not as high quality as my husband's green bag. It made the trip but using it just got on my last nerve. Here are the pros/cons:

Pros:
- Very lightweight bag, so if you're a light packer you won't have to worry about schlepping a heavy bag through the airport or going over your weight limit
- Compartments are great, just like my old High Sierra duffle. This is probably my favorite feature of these bags.
- The bright orange color is fantastic...easy to see/pick out on the luggage turn style

Cons:
- Does NOT stand up on its own EVER. Empty, semi-full or full, it WILL fall over, every time. This means you can't do normal travel things like talk to a gate agent without either holding the bag or laying it down (not fun) or pull out your I.D./passport out of your backpack while also trying to keep the bag upright. Forget trying to go to the restroom with this thing. Since it doesn't stand up on its own, you'll have to lean it against the back of the stall door and thanks to the wheels it will just roll on down. I seriously can't tell you how annoying this is in so many situations.
- The bottom compartment (where the frame is) holds virtually nothing...maybe some flattened t-shirts but the depth is so shallow that you won't be able to put much in there. The product photo is so deceiving because truly, it's maybe 2-3 inches high. In my old High Sierra duffle the bottom compartment has a lot of depth so you can put things that require a sturdier compartment like shoes, toiletries, blow dryer, etc. The top area is where the majority of this 'suitcase' is so if you want something really protected you'll have to wrap it in a ton of clothes.
- Based on the point above, you can NOT put anything breakable in this bag if it's going on an airplane.
- The materials are very thin. I was really surprised at this. The bag has almost no structure. This also means that when you travel ALL of your stuff will fall towards the bottom of the bag, leaving a big 'empty' spot near the top. This happens with all luggage to some degree but it's really bad with this bag. I even use e-Bags packing cubes (best thing ever, btw) and everything was still squashed.

Basically you want this bag for only a few particular situations:
1) You are only taking it in and out of the car (not on a plane where it's going to get beat up)
2) You are only packing soft items like pillows and need next to zero structure.
3) You don't need a bag that can stand on its own. You are probably 12 feet tall and have giant man hands and can carry this thing like a normal duffle bag.

If the above three requirements do not meet your needs, do not get this bag. On a side note, after my trip to Australia I had to fly to NYC so I borrowed the awesome High Sierra bag that I originally wanted, the one my husband has. Well it got mangled on my trip. The frame of the suitcase got permanently bent and the base of telescoping handle pulled out of the luggage frame/fabric. My husband had used it only twice on short flights with no issues but now he can only use it on car trips. I feel bad that my flight is the one that ruined his bag. And what happened to my original High Sierra bag you may ask? That one lasted a big longer but the main zipper came apart after a couple of years. On its maiden voyage the top compartment essentially ripped open leaving it useless (I hadn't even packed anything in it, it just ripped). In case you're wondering, it's the High Sierra Drop Bottom Duffle (medium gray with neon green wheels).

All in all after owning several High Sierra bags I've learned this: the designs of their bags are fantastic (in theory) but the *execution* and materials are crap. Things break and fall apart way too early into ownership and my husband and I are sadly done with this brand. We both travel frequently for work and have gone through many brands of luggage. From this point forward we are only buying eBags. TravelPro is what most pilots and flight attendants use and those bags are great, too. I had one for years.

Hope this helps.
on June 6, 2013
Size Name: 34"Color Name: AmazonVerified Purchase
I have wanted this piece of luggage since I seen it at the luggage seminar. This answers all my travel issues. thank you for the great price too! This is the piece to have if you travel.
on March 20, 2013
Size Name: 34"Color Name: LavaVerified Purchase
Took it on a ski trip and it was great. Packed it full and it was still easy to roll through airport. Highly recommend.
on September 6, 2012
Size Name: 34"Color Name: LavaVerified Purchase
Love this bag, fits a load of stuff and is rather lightweight. The padding protects the shopping lugged over oceans.
on June 24, 2013
Size Name: 34"Color Name: LavaVerified Purchase
We seen this bag in the store and purchased it on line. Great bag. Very roomy. We use it for our dive equipment. We can get two sets of dive equipment in the bag and still have room. It only weighs 8 pounds, so you can really fill this up.
on November 20, 2012
Size Name: 34"Color Name: AmazonVerified Purchase
You've seen similar duffle-styled bags at Costco, BJ Wholesale Club, et al, but this bag is way different. Same bag at Macy's is $169 to $259 depending on what sale you might catch. Our friends go this bag in orange and I couldn't believe the quality. Big yet light in weight. Tough yet elegant. You're going to love it!
on February 25, 2014
Size Name: 34"Color Name: Amazon
We've had this bag for almost three years now and it's just exactly what we wanted - a BIG, wheeled bag that we could pack our entire family's worth of stuff in (2 adults, 2 kids), eliminating multiple roller bags.

Some things to know:
- No way is this a carry on, it's huge. I can't imagine ever needing a bag of this size/design when traveling alone (but then, I tend to travel places where laundry is an option). It's still over-sized for two adults traveling together in my opinion, but we are light packers, and travel mostly to warmer locations.
- While the size itself doesn't cost any extra when flying, be careful - it is big enough that you can easily exceed the 50lb limit, which will incur extra fees at the airline.
- It doesn't have much in the way of interior organization. If we were doing much moving around with it (as opposed to going to one place for a week), I might invest in some pods to organize the interior.
- Agreed with other reviewer, it does not stand up on its side, ever, only sits on its bottom. I never expected any different, so doesn't bother me.
-It's held up great on multiple fights, being stuffed/wheeled/climbed on by toddlers, etc. No complaints about sturdiness of design, materials, etc. I expect to have many more years of use out of it.
on August 5, 2013
Size Name: 34"Color Name: LavaVerified Purchase
Out the box this bag looks great! Very roomy and looks durable... Well that's until it goes through a NY to Santo Domingo trip Then the bag looks like it's been through hell and back. So far it made it there and back but I'm a little skeptic how it will hold up on future travels. Hope it holds up