5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Bag
Published on March 6, 2012 by Randy

3.0 out of 5 stars High sierra quality is going down.
I have had several High Sierra bags and have been very happy with them. Tow of my older bags work just as well now as they did when I bought them, years ago. They have seen daily use in our household. We have two children who have a lot of medical problems and they have "luggage" that travels with them carrying their essential medical equipment with the.
I ordered...
Published on April 26, 2012 by Michele

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Bag, March 6, 2012
Randy (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: High Sierra AT659 32 -Inch Expandable Wheeled Duffel with Backpack Straps (Sports)
This is by far the best piece of luggage I've ever purchased. I'm an avid cyclist and photographer and with this bag I was able to reduce my baggage from 4 to 2 bags for a 2 week cycling vacation. I also brought my bike so I was able to carry this suitcase like a backpack while handling my bike and other traditional suitcase. While on my back, it was very balanced, and easy to put on and take off. When I didn't have my bike with me and needed to move about, the wheels on this Duffel made life very easy (Large and sturdy and roll over minor obstacles easily). The backpack is very sturdy, and it's expandable. This is the best luggage purchase I've ever made. Traveling is great when you have this Duffel with you.

3.0 out of 5 stars High sierra quality is going down., April 26, 2012
I ordered this for my own personal use. My husband and I take the occasional short trip and we thought this would be just the right size for us to take. I liked the partition for clothes. I packed his items and shoes in the bottom compartment and my lighter weight shirts and socks in the top section. Even the light weight stuff was too much weight for the partition. It started to rip at the seam almost immediately. What a disappointment. The case does not hold it's shape well either. There are plastic sheets rivet into the lining to keep it's shape but they bend easily and don't g back into place.
I was pretty disappointed in the case and returned it when we got home from the trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Abused it for 6 months in India/Nepal, January 5, 2013
Note: I own an older version of this bag so my experience may be different from yours. When I set the intention in June of 2010 to go on pilgrimage to India/Nepal, this was the first thing I bought. It took another 18 months to actually go on the trip. This bag mostly survived. There were four "failures":

The wheels began to seize up by the end (the biggest issue).
The compartment divider began to tear.
The duffel strap handle's Velcro became largely useless (as you might expect) so the straps just flopped around (annoying).
The zipper pull for the backpack tore off. I could still use my fingernails to open and close, but switching between backpack and roller is something you tend to want to do quickly/easily. I used the backpack feature less because of that.
The top handle was close to failing. That would have been a disaster if it had happened.

Not too bad given all the plane/train/subway/bus/taxi/walking and over-filling. If I were to improve the bag, I would do the following:

Ditch the duffel straps. No one's going to carry this giant thing as a duffel and the straps just became a nuisance. The only reason to have the straps is for porters to carry it as a backpack...but it IS a backpack!
The expandable feature is pointless. Never used it. Bag's already too big. I suffered overweight fees on a couple occasions. The limitations of a 28" bag would have kept me out of trouble (just buy another bag for all the stuff you purchase).
Design better wheels. This may be unfair to expect given the terrible abuse the wheels took.
Stronger zipper pull for backpack feature.

If you plan to live out of a bag for 6 months traveling developing countries, you could do a lot worse than this one...but you could also do better. I'm considering going back for another extended trip and I'm looking at a Briggs & Riley Expedition 28. Much more expensive, but lighter and extremely well-designed/built with a lifetime warranty.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too heavy, December 16, 2012
I love the idea of this bag and I have it in the 22 inch as well, which works pretty well as a carryon (often is too large for upper compartment nowadays, but if you pack items in front pouch in a bag before putting them in the pouch, you can pull out bag and fit both in upper compartment with no trouble). The 32 inch one, though, starts out empty at 15 pounds, only leaving room for 35 pounds of stuff! Unless you are packing a bunch of down coats and helium balloons, there is almost no way to make use of the large amount of space without going over the airline weight limit. This bag is now relegated to my parents' basement and pulled out only when I move apartments. It's too large for most car travel (would fill up the better part of a trunk) and too heavy for air travel. I do LOVE the concept, however, and I'm pretty darn fond of my 22 inch one. There needs to be a 28 inch one with the weight cut in half. I guess it will exist only in my dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best suitcase ever, June 29, 2012
It has SO many pockets and seems to be ever-expanding. I'm one of those girls who over packs and this withstands a ton! It's been through airports many times and looks just as new. The contoured design is amazing for efficient packing. This duffel beats a regular suitcase by tons!

Edited: After about a dozen times of using this suitcase, the rubber came off of one of the wheels. Not very nice but I still have to give this bag a lot of credit because I stuffed it to the Max many times and thought the zipper would bust open before a wheel but it never did. Also, the rubber wheels can leave skid marks if you drag them across a floor, so be careful with fancy wood floors!

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile Luggage For Storage and Carrying Options, January 28, 2014
I just purchased this luggage this January and used it for a four-day vacation to Colorado. After traveling with a friend that carried a hybrid pack/luggage, I decided it was time to get my own. I shopped around and found a few roller/duffel/backpack hybrids. The offerings from Osprey and Thule were both nice, but a little more expensive than my tastes. This High Sierra AT6 fit the bill. It seems perfectly suited at the airport and has the duffel and backpack capabilities to handle travel in areas without acres of flat concrete or flooring.

Pros: The main storage compartment can be expanded into one large area or divided into three separate zones. The bottom and largest zone is separated by a thin nylon screen that can be zipped and rolled away to expand into a larger area. The top zone also has a mesh area to store small items, such as a towel or toiletries. An expansion zipper allows the main storage area to grow even larger. In addition to the storage versatility, backpack straps allow you to throw this pack over your shoulders for short periods of time. This is by no means a daypack. However, I appreciated the build of the straps and the flap that folds down and velcros to the bottom to spare your back from any dust accumulated on the bottom of the pack. There are even little flaps to cover the wheels. The design is very thoughtful. One additional plus is a "crush proof" area on the outside top of the luggage where sunglasses, a phone, or another item or two can be stored. I also find the weight of the pack to be a major plus. It is light.

Cons: This pack is not meant to be worn all day on your back. It sticks out wide, especially when fully packed. The straps on the side help to keep gear in place to some extent. However, if you are looking for a pack to wear primarily on your back, this isn't it. One of the other main drawback is the the lack of obvious ways to lock the luggage. The zippers do not have holes built into them to fit a small luggage luck. You would have to purchase two luggage locks for the two main sets of zippers. Even then, be sure to purchase locks that would fit standard backpack zippers.

I am very please with my purchase of the High Sierra AT6. It is supremely versatile in terms of both storage and carrying options. If you are looking for a mid-sized duffel or rolling luggage that you can throw on your back, give this a close look!

4.0 out of 5 stars Held up great on an 8.5 month trip around the world, December 26, 2013
I lived out of this bag for 8.5 months this year on a trip around the world. It was roomy and durable - nothing broke.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy, August 7, 2013
Bought this bag for a trip to the Bahamas from Chicago. Somewhere in between Chicago, Miami, and Freeport the zipper on the top pocket broke, allowing some of the contents of the bag to be lost. Shame that it broke on the first flight/trip. The bag itself seemed to be good quality. Edit: After 2 round trips between Chicago and Dominica there is another tear and the middle zipper is separating from the bag now. That makes 3 round trips to the Caribbean and this bag is broken in 2 spots. Absolutely pathetic for how much was paid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Think Twice When Buying High Sierra Luggage, November 26, 2013
High Sierrra changed the zipper design on their latest 32" bag. It does not have the traditional zipper tabs, through which you can put an approved TSA lock. Rather, they replaced the standard zipper tabs with cheesy, tiny little rope ties that are impossible to secure. I called the company and they essentially told me to pound salt. Sad, because we've had their bags before and liked them. The only reason we're going through this heartache is because my previous HS bag was destroyed on a recent flight (Someone had red wine in their suitcase and it broke). I don't like to give low ratings but High Sierra earned it, both with their inexplicable design change and their attitude.

4.0 out of 5 stars bag is big but well designed, September 8, 2013
Pro's: Everyone said it was large but until you see it you can't really imagine it. It is 1/2 in under airline regs..Oddly enough it works for me because I can fit a small ice chest into it so it's just what i needed.

Cons: It doesn't have a handle on the side, so it's hard to carry sideways.