4.0 out of 5 stars Great backpack for college or graduate school
As a law student, I needed a back pack with the capacity to hold thick large books, notebooks,etc. It is hard to find a backpack with that capacity. I can also put my laptop in this bag. Sometimes it does get a little overstuffed and hard to zip but overrall I don't think there is another bag that can beat it.
Published on April 19, 2008 by Michelle Matthews

2.0 out of 5 stars No frills pack. Expect roughly 1/2 to 1 year lifespan.
This backpack is fairly decent. Only spent around $30.

Pro's:
- Fair amount of storage, but definitely IS NOT a lot more than competition.
- Front pocket is logically organized.
- Shoulder straps aren't terribly uncomfortable. Bearable.

Con's:
- Material feels cheap. Will likely break within a year.
- Zippers are...
Published on November 10, 2011 by CS

4.0 out of 5 stars Great backpack for college or graduate school, April 19, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Great functionality and build quality, April 26, 2009
David Nobel (North Dartmouth, MA USA) - See all my reviews
We ordered this for my wife as a replacement for a beloved backpack she has been using for years and which finally bit the dust when the zipper broke. At first we tried to find an exact replacement, but that proved impossible as that model hasn't been manufactured for years now. Based on the description, pictures, and reviews here, we ordered this Fat-Boy as well as the Teton Bookbag Backpack.

Be aware that apart from a few minor design differences (colors, zippers, stitching, etc.), these two bags are virtually identical, obviously made in the same factory in China. After examining both, we went with the Fat-Boy, chiefly because of color and what we interpreted as slightly heavier duty hardware. Honestly, I think that we would also have been quite happy with the Teton.

I am pleased to report that my wife is extremely satisfied with the Fat-Boy. She is a grad student and uses it to haul around books, notebooks, lunches, and the miscellaneous small stuff routinely going back and forth from home to school. (The laptop has a dedicated carrying bag.) The Fat-Boy is heavy-duty and well designed with lots of functional compartments and features, including the dedicated cell phone pouch on the front of a shoulder strap, which she loves. In short, this backpack is so good that it is easily eclipsing the memory of her old one. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Size, Great Sturdiness, Great Backpack!, October 10, 2012
When I was looking for my new backpack I had three major qualities in mind;
1) It needed to be big enough to hold all my schoolwork and extras
2) It needed to be well made and sturdy
3) It needed to look good

On all three points this bag is fantastic! I did quite a bit of research before buying, and some of the comments I'd heard about it being too small made me nervous. I'd also noticed many of the reviewers were speaking on behalf of their young children, so even if they said it was a big bag there's a significant difference between what's big for a kindergartener and what's big for me! Thankfully, as a senior in college planning for grad school and archaeological field work in the future, I am very very pleased with the size of this bag. I carry my MacBook laptop with me, two paperback books, an over-sized marker case, a sketch book, a notebook, a folder, my knitting, my laptop charger, my ipod, my keys and my phone with me every day, and most days I will end up adding a jacket, a text book, or some library books etc. etc. I have yet to have any problems making anything fit! The pockets make it easy to sort (and I'm terrible at sorting!) And I can keep the need-to-access things like keys and my wallet in the outermost pocket for very easy access. I love the cell phone holder on the strap. I've had a backpack with one before but I found it to be too small and inconvenient, but on this bag the little pocket for my phone is perfect. It would NOT work for a smart phone or an iPhone though, I don't think.

In regards to the sturdiness of the bag, It seems to be very well made. True, I have only been wearing it for two weeks at this point but my other two bags, a Ful and a no-name brand I got in Ireland, felt cheap. They fell apart quickly and I was literally using backpacks full of holes by the time I got rid of them. This backpack feels double stitched and made of a sturdy material though. It would take a lot to snag it and there's no cotton cloth, which I have had my fingers rip right through when I pull my bag around or maneuver it. I'm not gentle with my backpacks at all, but I don't think that'll be a problem with this one!

In terms of looks, I got the charcoal and chartreuse bag, and it's got fun bright colors without being childish. It stands out in the campus center so I haven't had any problem with mixing my bag up with someone else's. And I like wearing it, it's fun to have a bag that goes with the colors you like!

The only critique I have is that, when I've word short sleeves with it, the way the straps curve out at the bottom means they are running into and scraping against the insides of my arms. It's pretty uncomfortable, but it does seem to be fading now that I've had the bag a little while. Straps take some time to break in, usually, so I'm giving the bag the benefit of the doubt for the moment on that feature.

All in all, after half a month of daily operation including night classes, marathon viewings, overnight packing and of course the daily grind, this thing has performed well beyond expectations at a price that is almost unheard of. I really recommend it to college students who need a reasonable amount of space and a bag that's not going to fall apart by the end of the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, we'll see!, July 18, 2010
J. Myers (Apex, NC USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this backpack for my son after looking for a backpack in retail stores in the area and being shocked at what they were asking! My son is 9, and can be a little rough on backpacks. I also like for them to be tough enough to last more than one year! So- this one looks good- it isn't cheap plastic/vinyl material, has plenty of pockets, and looks well built. Great color selections, he was able to chose one he really likes, now we just have to see if it can withstand months of torture! Oh- and this backpack was $25.97 when I purchased it, and the tag on it says: "suggested retail: $60". It's good quality.

OK- so here we are about 2 years later. My son has used and abused the heck out of this backpack. School, camping, car trips, etc, etc, etc... And he finally managed to do something to it- he tore one of the side straps that control how far it expands open- which actually doesn't affect the bag too much. So he can still use it, there are no holes in the bag itself, zippers all still work perfectly. So this was an awesome bargain. If you aren't sure, BUY IT! It is sooo worth the money! I will be buying another one to replace this one! Very satisfied!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sons School Bag, October 25, 2007
I bought this for my son because he complained about to many books and not enought room last yr. Well this one sure fixed him up nicely. It is not to bulky or to wide but seems to fit him just right. He is 14 and he is about 5'2. It is not as waterproof as I'd like for it to be tho. He got into a downpour and some of his things got wet so that would be the only drawback with this pack.I asked him just now if there was anything he did not like about his pack and he said no he loved it. So there you have, hope it helps lol

2.0 out of 5 stars No frills pack. Expect roughly 1/2 to 1 year lifespan., November 10, 2011
This backpack is fairly decent. Only spent around $30.

Pro's:
- Fair amount of storage, but definitely IS NOT a lot more than competition.
- Front pocket is logically organized.
- Shoulder straps aren't terribly uncomfortable. Bearable.

Con's:
- Material feels cheap. Will likely break within a year.
- Zippers are cheap. Definitely not as nice of zippers compared to my old Swiss Gear pack, which lasted about 4 years and went to Afghanistan and back before it broke.
- Zippers go all the way down to bottom of pack. This can be annoying considering when the zippers are opened even the slightest amount, they have a tendency to open all the way to the bottom by themselves, causing the contents of the pack fall out. When you try to zip them back up, the size straps that are used to compress contents of pack get in the way. A small hassle for a cheap pack I suppose.
- Side straps do not unbuckle in any way except for unthreading the strap through the plastic cinch.
- There is a flap that covers the zipper of the main compartment for the entire length of the zipper. Seems to get in the way/ makes zipper hard to find.
- I have a 17" laptop. Laptop does not fit in backpack without compromising the safety of the laptop. But then again this pack wasn't designed to fit a 17" laptop.
- Stitching is already coming apart. Very cheap stitching.

Summary:
I've had this backpack for less than a month and if I had the opportunity to buy this again I wouldn't. The pack maximum lifespan will be about a year of soft usage. It's beginning to fall apart, and the build quality overall is cheap. I have had High Sierra products in the past that just fell apart, and I thought maybe they had fixed their manufacturing/ engineering issues. Wrong.
My last pack was a Swiss Gear pack that cost about $60. It lasted me four years, was very comfortable and was extremely rugged in every sense of the word. I would recommend staying away from this High Sierra pack and biting the bullet and forking out a little more money for a pack that will survive normal to heavy usage for more than one year.

5.0 out of 5 stars The answer for me...!, May 14, 2013
This review is from: High Sierra Fat Boy Backpack (Sports)
I'm 62, and have rather significant Rheumatoid arthritis. So, I can't drive anymore. Plus, being alone, I had to decide on taking care of the house of the car. So naturally the house won. So, when I need to go shopping, I strap on my backpack, and start walking. Generally I go about 2 1/2 blocks to the neighborhood store. But a lot of the time I'm walking sometimes 3 and 4 miles. And when I'm done shopping, I usually have about 30 or 40 pounds of stuff that I got. Well, with this backpack, which has over 3000 cubic inches of space, in like 4 compartments. I have been able to load it up to almost 60 pounds of groceries and other things. then I just strap it on. And I'm off. Today, I bought some bread. And because of the handy hook on the back of the pack, I was able to keep my bread in it's bag, and just hook the bag on the back of the pack. For me, having to use a cane when I walk. It's by far the most perfect answer. It sits great. It's easy to take on and off. And it loads more things than almost anything else, other than perhaps a push cart. Plus, of course, it's water resistant, for those rainy days when I just have to get to the store. I highly recommend this product for campers, hikers, students. And older people like me, who have to keep their hands free when they walk. Amazon was truly so kind and helpful in getting this to me. It has given me a level of freedom that I have not had in the last several years. A great product!

4.0 out of 5 stars A FAT fat-boy backpack, February 18, 2007
It is a very good bag if you have to carry bulky things which are not very long as the bag becomes bulky on the front but is kind of on the smaller side. Otherwise, I think the color scheme is nice- not too bright but not dull and there are ample pockets to keep things organized. All in all- good for its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a backpack that may last an entire school year, January 14, 2013
This back pack is large with many pockets. When I received it for my 8 year old daughter, I thought it may be too big but she loved it. It has is large and has many pockets. Once we established the back pocket to hold her homework and returned papers, the many pockets have not been a problem. She has pockets to keep her "stuff" and one large pocket to keep the important papers/homework. After 4+ months of use, it still looks brand new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small to Large, April 12, 2008
This item was purchased for a trip to Europe. It will be used as a carry-on for the plane trip, where it needs to be compact in size. Afterwards, it will be used on hiking trips. These trips will require much more space. I like that this item expands by loosening the side straps. Also it has good padding and is light in weight.

High Sierra Fat Boy Backpack (Black)
$60.00 $25.59