High Sierra Freewheel Wheeled Book Bag Backpack, Black
Size Name: 20.5x13.5x8-InchColor Name: BlackChange
Price:$55.69 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon June 15, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is exactly the backpack/airport roller I was looking for to support me during a recent trip to Central Asia - which is not exactly the easiest place to travel through. However, this little gem helped me through the entire way!

At first I was a bit concerned because one of the zipper pulls was broken. Amazon quickly sent me a replacement backpack though, and I attribute the flaw to random bad luck, because all of the other zipper pulls seem quite resilient.

This backpack rolls smoothly through the airport. The wheels are well balanced and smooth, and the backpack is sturdy enough to accommodate a heavy load while rolling (without scraping the ground). It has space for everything you need - including a nice space for a laptop which can be easily removed and replaced while going through security. It held up like a rock in the airport!

The second test of this backpack is how it performed as a daypack while touring around Central Asia. Bottom line - it was perfect. While it is slightly more awkward and a bit heavier than some daypacks due to the wheels and its sturdy construct with an extendable handle for rolling, it proved easy to lug around on my back with all the items I would need throughout a day of touring on foot. It breathed nicely between my back and the pack itself. It was easy to put on and take off. And the great thing is that if I ever wanted to stop carrying the load on my back, I could hold it by the handle, or simply roll it along.

I love this bag!
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 23, 2011
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Navy / Charcoal / BlackVerified Purchase
This backpack has an appearance that more closely resembles a good quality traditional backpack rather than a roller back pack. The handle hides away when not in use, and extends easily with the touch of a button. The sturdy aluminum handle and high quality wheels make it easy to maneuver this steady backpack.

There are plenty of pockets, including an inner padded sleeve for a laptop computer. I tried it with a sixteen inch computer with an extended battery pack, and it wouldn't fit. Most typical laptops shouldn't be a problem, though. There's an ample sized middle pocket in addition to the ones pictured, and a side pocket that could accommodate a large water bottle.

Less obvious is the pouch on the back that lets you tuck the straps into it, so they don't drag on the floor. It keeps the elegant appearance when the wheels are in use.

Overall, it does everything I need. If you have a larger laptop, it's more likely to fit if its outside isn't too much larger than the screen dimensions.

The tag on the bag lists a limited lifetime warranty with a footnote that it's good for only five years for roller packs, so read it carefully.

UPDATE: After 15 months, the handle and arm came off during normal use. The company changed its warranty procedure. Instead of sending the product to them, I had to reply to an email by attaching a photo of the damage and of the UPC tag, and answering one simple question: what happened? The rep said all I needed to say was that "it just came off." They wanted a copy of the receipt, which is easy to get from Amazon's purchase history. And they wanted to know my address. I can't see how it would be possible to process a warranty claim with any less information, so I'd say the experience was "as easy as possible." I will update this review again only if I don't get the replacement promptly without any hassle. I still consider it worthy of four stars, given that I'll get at least five years out of it, and my son will be off to college by the time the warranty ends. I probably replaced backpacks in the past every 15 months or so due to normal wear and tear, so this is still a bargain.

UPDATE 2: After filling out the request, I got a reply nine days later. They asked me to let them know my top four choices for replacement, and now they want even more photos of tags, as well as a photo of the bag with a 3" x 5" hole cut in it. Perhaps they don't get the concept, but if they show me four replacements and let me pick one, then I'm making a choice. If they get to pick one for me, that means it's not my choice. Considering they only make one model of roller backpack, are they telling me that they have the right to send something completely different? That's not what the warranty says. It says they will repair or replace it. I'm not about to destroy a backpack until they assure me that they will honor the warranty, so I wrote back to them. I got a canned response saying it will take up to 12 days to get back to me. Even if they sent out a replacement immediately, it would still be a poor way to honor the warranty given the amount of time it takes. But what do they expect my son to carry his books in in the interim until the replacement arrives? They already have a photo showing the handle broken off and know it's destroyed.

Update 3: I'm lowering my rating to two stars. I got a response five days later saying I would hear back within a few business days. So far I haven't heard back. It's been 19 days from the last update, meaning 24 days since my email to them, and 36 days since my original contact. I'm not saying that's how long the process took. I'm saying that's how long the process has taken up to the time of this update and I'm still waiting to hear back.

Update 4: It's been a while since I last updated this, so I don't remember exact time frames, but I did eventually get a free replacement that has worked fine ever since, and held up well. At this point, I'd give the backpack itself at least four stars, but the service much less. They did come through and I think that anybody who needs a replacement will get one, but it was more of a hassle than it should have been.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 12, 2011
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Flash Red / Charcoal / BlackVerified Purchase
****** Edited to update durability after 17 months of heavy usage*****

Just want to say I'm nearing the end of my 2 years of constant semesters. This thing is still going strong. I still wish the inside pockets were roomier, but the wheels have stayed strong, not loose (they do have some wear that is, fraying along the edges). The handle screws were tightened by my husband at least once during this time. The straps are still firmly sewed on, and the color has stayed bright all over, no fading or patching showing.

This bag may well be handed down to my nephew or niece for their college time. Still a fair value for the price. Good luck to you all.
End of edit/addition
4-11-13

**********************************************************************

I purchased this bookbag for myself when I went back to college this summer. I'm now using it for my fall semester, and it shows virtually no wear even though I roll it over cement, asphalt, bumps, stairs etc. I've had several days of rain and the contents inside stayed dry & secure. Important not only for my papers but for my electronic items inside.

I had read several reviews both praising and deriding this model's wheels as well as the room it provided. After having it for myself, I can understand why some have issues with them both.
To clarify, it is roomy, multiple pockets, varying sizes, and even a convenient water bottle (or in my case, travel coffee mug) holder. However the main area to hold my college books often feels smushed when I have my large, heavy books in there for classes that day. I can fit anywhere from 4 small to med sized books and 2 notebooks in there, to only 2 large books and 2 small notebooks in there, plus the other pockets for small items like pens, pencils, hand cleaner, ipod, phone, snacks, mini umbrella, flash drives, essay folders, chewing gum, baby powder, chapstick and the list could go on & on... it is roomy, just.. some of the larger course books take up all the space in the main pocket.

The wheels are a medium large size. They roll easily over small to medium twigs, and just angle the pull for pulling up steps & edges of sidewalks its fine. Hit gravel though, and you can roll through most of it, but can find some of the larger gravel getting caught up & having it drag. I've started carrying it through the gravel which isn't ideal, since I mentioned the really large & heavy books I'm currently using this semester.

Its a fair value. No doubt about it I've gotten my money's worth out of it and could use it another semester, perhaps 2 more. However, I'm going to be pricing & comparing sizes, I'm expecting more courses next semester meaning more books to fit in there.

One drawback that may just be for me, but the spot on the bookbag for your earphones to connect to your ipod inside the case is inconveniently placed when pulling my bookbag. It's fine if you carrying it over your shoulders, but thats not me. So its a hindrance & an irritation for that one piece.

The handle seems flimsy, but has been solid, no loose screws etc. Had the husband doublecheck it all when bought and end of first semester, nothing to tighten.

Overall, this is a great bookbag to have to swap out with another one if you have alot of books or larger books to carry.
on June 6, 2012
Verified Purchase
This backpack has been great! There is no way I could carry the amount of books required for my program without messing up my back. I love the large wheels, and how you can tuck the shoulder straps away. It is very roomy, and it can hold plenty. The side pockets are great as well. The side pouch is perfect place for a water bottle. I see some students using luggage for their books, which causes them to run out of room and they end up using 2 bags for their books. I haven't run into that problem with this bag. It's fabulous!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2010
Excellent size.
Excellent handle(goes down/up smoothly)
Excellent wheels.
Always stays in vertical position not as other cheap ones.
Different colors to choose from.
Side pocket for water bottle.
Big inside compartment enough for heavy big books.
Should last at least the full school year.Mine was red and is so beautiful!
You might be 90% satisfy if purchase this one.
A little bit pricey but it worth it.Seems to be made of good quality materials.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 23, 2014
Size Name: 20.5x13.5x8-InchColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
The best thing about this bag is the name, High Sierra. Other than that, I am singularly unimpressed. I purchased the bag for my daughter at the beginning of the semester specifically for the wheels. It was delivered 8/28/14. She takes two classes at the community college, two days a week, and rides the bus. The textbooks are large and heavy, but all she carries in the bag is two textbooks, a couple of notebooks, and a lab book. Within a few weeks the wheels began to sag. I examined the bag, and discovered that screws on both wheels had apparently fallen out. I replaced them with stainless steel screws, washers, and locking nuts. I had to disassemble one side in order to replace the screws, so I learned more than I wanted to know about the poor construction of this bag. If you are looking for a wheeled bag that can actually carry a load for any length of time, then keep on looking, cause this ain't it. Check out the uneven wear on the wheel in the attached photo of the repaired bag.
review image
on February 26, 2011
I bought this backpack for my 14 year old son who walks a mile to and from school daily. However, due to the amount of textbooks that he drags around, I thought this one would suit him well based on the reviews. He was having back problems from carrying the backpack on his shoulders everyday.

Unfortunately, this backpack didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. The screws of the handle fell off so the top of the handle came off. I had to find some replacement screws which was not an easy task. About 3 weeks later, the entire handle just snapped off which defeated the purpose of my spending the amount of money that I did.

I am quite disappointed as he only used this backpack for about 4 months so in a sense, it wasn't worth the amount of money spent.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 12, 2015
Size Name: 20.5x13.5x8-InchColor Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I just got this bag in the mail yesterday but it will be returned. I would have kept this bag if I have a smaller laptop. I have a15.6" Asus Q502LA laptop that barely fits in this bag.The physical dimension of my laptop is about 15" x 10" x 0.9". The description of this bag said it will fit a 17" laptop with maximum size of 16 x 11 x 1.75. Also the weight of the bag when empty is 5 lbs 7.1 oz and not 1 lb.
on October 27, 2010
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Flash Red / Charcoal / BlackVerified Purchase
This was just what I expected! Saw this in the stores for double the price I got it for here. Arrived as promised and obviously brand new. My daughter absolutely loves it. Makes going to school a little more bearable. The shoulder straps can be stored in the back pocket area thanks to the release clips. The telescopic handle is just perfect. It has enough room for a LOT of books and a padded laptop pocket. The front pocket has a lot of compartments for calculators, pens, etc. I definitely recommend!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 4, 2011
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: Blue Print/Blue Print Wht Phantom WaVerified Purchase
From the website pictures, it appeared to be a good size bag. The item was received in 3 days. The bag is smaller than an average kids' backpack. It can not even fit a reqular size 1" thick 3 ring binder. A nice looking bag and quiet wheels. But it is not suitable a 3rd grade or higher student.