4.0 out of 5 stars Leave the bottle at home!
This was a good purchase, and I give it a 4.5 star rating.

Published on March 10, 2011 by Tabyrinth

1.0 out of 5 stars For Runners?
Published 19 months ago by Richard Pinnell

4.0 out of 5 stars Leave the bottle at home!, March 10, 2011
This was a good purchase, and I give it a 4.5 star rating.

I had heard of these kinds "water bags" quite a number of years ago, and wondered, it being 2010, if there were any affordable ones that would fit the needs of the occasional traveler. What I wanted is something that would carry no less than 20 ounces of water, thin enough to carry easily in luggage, or under clothing, and under $30. I have traveled with small 8-20 ounce water bottles in the past, but it required carrying a bag that ended up fatiguing my shoulder.

This works on all three accounts. Yes, I got it for under $30, AND from amazon. It carries just about 2 liters (~67 ounces=less refills = 1/2 star), and can be flattened easily. In fact, I wore it under my coat several times on the plane instead of packing in my luggage. No worries of spilled water, no trying to hold it while you doze, no 10 minutes of under-the-plane-seat shifting while you find room for it in your carry-ons, no more unscrewing tops to take a swig, no looking around while pulling it from your bag while climbing walls or hills. Now that's a 4 star product. Plus, because of its shape, I can get it almost completely full using the airport water fountains, regardless of how high that little spigot squirts. (try THAT with a typical water bottle!)

My only complaints are really wish list items more than real problems, and are minor issues.

1 When you fill the bag, there is no Real way to fill it completely. The opening's bottom edge is almost as full as you can get it, unless you have more than one person holding the bag and getting the water. But you can get pretty close to that 67 ounces.

2 The tube where you suck your water doesn't tuck into anything; it swings freely. That can be good (easy access) but that also means the same thing you stick into your mouth will come into contact with airplane seats, dust, passer-bys, dirt, coats, etc.

3 You can't drink from it in a completely prone position unless either you or the bag are at a lower position.

IF you get this model, please pay attention to this point:

The tube from where you suck water locks. You must pull the blue tube down a inch or so to unlock it. This is a good thing, (less leaks) but only if you know about it ahead of time.

Others commented on this, but only when I started using it did I understand what in the world they were talking about. Practically speaking, it means if you don't unlock the tube, you can suck (HARD) all day and get 1/2 cup of water from your very full bag (yes, this actually happened).

5.0 out of 5 stars Get To Know Your Hydration Pack, June 1, 2012
So I've used High Sierra hydration packs in the past, and without fail I am always satisfied. This new Wave 70 bag I recently purchased is no exception. I'm on my 3rd High Sierra pack since high school - Only because the first one I purchased was stolen, and the second one was accidentally run over by a friend on a camping trip last summer. I keep coming back to this product for a reason.

Instead of doing an all around review, I want to address some of the "faults" other reviewers have mentioned. I want to do this, because it seems as though people are reviewing without taking the time to acquaint themselves with the pack.

Unfortunately the straps you have are the straps you get. As for a place to put the mouthpiece when running or hiking, it slips nicely into the elastic loop on the opposite shoulder strap. This should be a no-brainer, but it's apparently it's easy to miss. I don't even know if it's the proper place to put the mouthpiece, but it works for me when running, hiking, cycling, and climbing.

Other users say they cannot fill the whole pack. I cry folly! If I'm home I take the time to fill my 2L pitcher - From there I fill the pack. It holds a full two liters without a problem. This does disappoint when you're on the road or trail and cannot use a pitcher OR the water source doesn't allow for angling the bag.

This pack is one of the best. I also have a larger pack for the longer trips, also made by High Sierra - and I have no complaints. If you're looking for something small, easy to use, yet still holds a good amount of water... This is a great pick.

1.0 out of 5 stars For Runners?, May 4, 2013
This review is from: High Sierra Wave 70 Hydration Pack (Sports)
Most of the reviews on here seem to be from cyclists or hikers, so I thought I write a quick review from a runners perspective. I live in Northern Mexico so it's very hot, and I purchased this hydration pack for my long runs. In the past I carried a water bottle on a belt and another in my hand, which was a bit annoying. First off the quality of the High Sierra seems pretty good especially when the price is taken into consideration I've only used the High Sierra pack once on a run of about 12 miles last week, and I can report that I was pretty happy with it. I was a bit concerned that it would bounce around too much when running due to the fact that it only has the 2 shoulder straps and no strap going across the chest. Yes it does bounce a little, but not too much. Another concern was whether it would rub on my shoulders or other upper body parts causing soreness or blisters, and this too was unfounded. After 12 miles I hardly noticed the pack was there. Drinking water from the tube is quite easy when running too. The only real annoyance is the sound of the water sloshing around in the pack. Overall I think I can recommend this pack for runners.

Update 7/27/2013 I'm downgrading this to a one star rating due to the fact that after using on about 10 occasions the valve started leaking excessively, and the water bottle developed a small leak at the bottom. My new evaluation is that it's a piece of cr**p. Really makes me angry that these companies just continue to produce items designed to have a lifespan of about 20 hours. Such a wast of human productivity, time and money. Do yourself a favour and look around for a better quality product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated, September 30, 2012
Been using the hydration pack for about 4 months now. I bought 2 of these (1 for me and 1 for my son). The pack holds enough water for the length trails that we ride. The packs are easy to fill and clean. They are comfortable and have a zippered pocket that hold my phone. For the price it is almost a great buy. Unfortunately, this is where the positives end. The mouth valve leaks and leaks constantly. I end rides with my left leg soaked to the point where water can be squeezed out of the shorts. I cannot get the valve to stop leaking. It's made for an extremely frustrating product experience. I don't know if Camelbaks are any better, but I will buy one just to avoid the leaky valve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, Great Product!, June 15, 2011
S. Cannon (Medford, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This product is great as an inexpensive, causual hydration pack for beginners.

Pros:
Cheap
Doesn't Leak (There is a plug that you can open and close with your teeth)
Comfortable and easy to tighten, loosen straps
Sturdy

Cons:
Very little storage space for items other than water
Hard to fill up completely

Suggestions:
Like I said, remember the plug and you won't wet yourself!
When I first tried it on, it leaked. I found out that I had to tighten the connection between the
hydration cord and the bladder. Then it was fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 26, 2011
these hydration packs are great. I bought the 2 liters one which hold enough water for a trip i made on my bike for around 12 miles . the only bad thing would be the taste. Make sure to clean it at first add baking soda to it and leave it for a couple days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for under a jacket, January 10, 2009
This product is perfect for fitting under a jacket for winter sports. I work at a ski resort and wear it under my jacket when working. The only negative thing is it doesn't have a chest strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hydration pack, July 2, 2013
My grandson loved it, when he is going skeing it keeps him hydrated without having to stop to drink water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pack, December 22, 2011
I love this hydration pack. I use it for long walks with my dog, short hikes and canoe trips. The water reservoir is easy to clean and doesn't smell if cleaned after use and allowed to air dry. I have enough room for key, cell phone, chapstick and maybe some gum. Just enough room, love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good!, June 14, 2010
It serves it purpose. Price was good if you buy with something else for supersaver shipping. However, I did see a deal for a comparable but slightly better hydration pack at cabelas for the same price. So, do your research!!

High Sierra Wave 70 Hydration Pack (Black, 16.25x 11-Inch)
$60.00 $34.99
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.