5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BAG!!
Published on May 23, 2012 by J. Sudroff

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but has some drawbacks
I, too, purchased this bag due to the enormous books I have to carry for nursing school. I did a lot of research before choosing this bag, and while I'm not dissatisfied with it, there are a lot of things I'm not thrilled about.

Published on October 26, 2012 by TheAmazingMrsA

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BAG!!, May 23, 2012
J. Sudroff (Northwest Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
New Review update 5/23/12: All I can say is I love my packback! I had it for two years now, and it has held through nursing school and lugging around those big BOOKS! It just just as good as the first day I got it! I only wish now that I could have the purple one because purple is my favorite color!!! ; ) Trust me, its worth the money to spend on a good backpack. Consider it an investment in your future!

************************* Previous Review May 7th, 2010 on the Old Sierra PowerGlide**********
I am so surprised that there are no reviews on this backpack yet, so I am going to write one in hopes that somebody will read this and maybe this will help their decision to purchase this backpack!

First of all, I purchased this from [...] on their website, and within 48 hours, my new bookbag was on my door step from Fed Ex! TALK ABOUT PROMPT! (And this was just regular shipping, not overnight!) So that REALLY impressed me! I opened up the box in excitement and saw my beautifully colored Sierra Powerglide (I had gotten the Multi-cross colored one, and I am very glad I purchased this color. It will def. stand out from the rest of the book bags!)

The reason why I purchased this book bag was because I was accepted into nursing school, and for 3 years now, I have been tugging around heavy HEAVY medical science books on my shoulders along with my laptop computer so I could take notes in my pre-requisites for nursing school! So count 3 heavy textbooks, a binder, a computer, PLUS my purse... all that weight adds up! = a very sore student! I'm already 22, don't want to feel 42! lol. So I thought, why not get a "rolling" "laptop" bag? Something with lots of room in it so I can store all my stuff in it, tug it to school, and not ruin my back in the mean time! Makes sense! And I made a brilliant decision!

The bag itself has 3 zippered compartments along with a zippered compartment that holds your MP3 player (Good for the music lovers like me!) right on the top, and along the side, there are two compartments that will hold your water bottle or whatever accessories you decide to bring along with you! The water bottle actually fits right in there perfectly and you are able to zip it so you can't even see it! (This is just a standard plastic .5 L Ice Mountain water bottle that I used in my bag!)

The pocket on the very front is good for organizing your things (pens.. pencils.. calculator, ID.. key.. phone! Notepad) So that was good. The next zipper is the zipper for your laptop! Now I am using a Hp Pavilion DV6000.. so the screen is about 15.4 inches across, and this fit perfectly in it (even with my slightly bigger battery that I am using on my computer.. it didn't make a difference in the thickness!) I even have enough room in that compartment to put a few notebooks or a small binder, or even to pack my AC adapter for my laptop in there! This was a HUGE PLUS! If you are purchasing a book bag for a laptop, the Sierra Powerglide is a good choice BECAUSE you want a book bag that places your computer IN FRONT OF YOUR BOOKS! Its a smarter design, and this means less harm for your computer in the mean time! (You won't have the weight of your books crushing on top of your PC if your computer is in the front, so keep this in mind when you are buying a bag for your laptop!)

In the main compartment, there is tons of room! You def could fit 3-4 HUGE textbooks along with a binder, and then even some on top of it, as the book bag is pretty tall! (think about putting your lunch there on top of your books on those long school days!)

And then finally, the wheels are very sturdy, and the straps feel wonderful on my back! I really like the design of the straps as you can choose to hide them when you use handle bar, or when you don't want to pull your backpack!) But honestly, I can tell you right now that I am DEF going to using the bar to pull this, as this was one of the biggest reasons why I bought this bag! The only thing that I was playing around with was the handle bar. Its kind of tricky getting it to set to the first height (the bar can raise to two heights) but with tinkering around, you can figure it out! Also, in the MP3 pocket, it is also tricky getting your headphones through that little compartment, but that is just all minor stuff!

Overall, I am very happy that I purchased this bag and I am looking forward to finishing nurse school with this bag and even graduate school! If you have a high course load and you need to find something to tug your stuff around with.... get a bag with more than 3000 cu. inch capacity, or just this one!! HIGHLY Recommend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Laptop Bag!, May 22, 2012
After a LOT of searching and reviewing, I finally decided on this wheeled laptop bag. I could not be happier!!
I continue to be amazed at how much room it has inside!! Not only is it bigger than most laptop bags, there are so many inside pockets - even zippered ones! It also has a back that unzips and provides you backpack straps to carry if you are not in a place to wheel it. The handle mechanism is very smooth and sturdy - does not feel "cheap".

This bag would work excellently for someone having to travel over a night or two - easily hold some clothes and toiletries for a quick trip.

It is worth every penny (at least as of today but I will say I have only had the opportunity to use it twice!)

Best of all it is Made in the USA!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but has some drawbacks, October 26, 2012

The Good: the bag meets my needs size wise, with enough room to carry: a large binder, two normal sized text books, 15" laptop, planner and numerous smaller supplies. The wheels seem to be well designed, and I've never had an issue with the handle. Backpack rolls smoothly and the handle on the top is super handy when you encounter a set of stairs. The numerous pockets with organizers are nice, and really help you find something in a hurry.

The Bad: the zippers are definitely not top quality. My bag came with one broken zipper, and with the way the others zip, I'm not sure they'll all last through the school year. While the bag is large, once you put a laptop in it, you are severely limited on what you can put in the largest compartment. The laptop pouch seems to be so well cushioned, that it takes up 1/3 of the overall space. Lastly, what bag maker these days doesn't put in mesh pouches for water bottles? There are zippered pockets on the side that you can shove a water bottle in, but they aren't nearly big enough, nor designed properly for that.

The only other comment I have, is be incredibly careful as to what you put in the largest compartment. Today, while pulling out on of my larger textbooks, I realized that the little wheel wells in the large compartment completely dented my textbook binding. Because it's a textbook I need for the entire year, I'm not super thrilled about it. I will live with it, but I may be looking to get a higher quality backpack come next year.

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT product. Until it rained hard., May 29, 2013
This review is from: High Sierra Powerglide Wheeled Book Bag (Sports)
I was thrilled with my book bag for quite a while. It holds a lot of stuff, and the wheels roll very nicely. I only have one complaint, but it's a big one. I ran through a drenching rain for about 150 yards, not expecting anything to happen to the stuff inside my book bag. Wrong. The rain dripped right through the zipper, ruining the tops of my textbooks, that had been in otherwise excellent condition and worth several hundreds of dollars. They should have covered the zippers with zipper flaps. If you buy this book bag, you'll love it in the sunshine. But wait until the storm passes before running to your car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Backpack for 17 inch MacBook Pro, August 25, 2012
Great backpack and good service from eBags. The item shipped in less than 24 hours and was received ahead of schedule.

I wanted this backpack to carry my 17 inch MacBook Pro and it fits perfectly in the padded pocket. Lots of storage for files. This is a Large backpack and holds more than the rolling briefcase that I was using. I really like that it rolls so easily and that when I carry it as a backpack, there is a flap that covers the wheels so my shirt doesn't get dirty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would give 4.5 if could., October 5, 2012
I just bought my second one of these bags for my 10 year old son. We had the first one for almost 2 years. That may not sound like much and truthfully if it was my bag, I would expect much longer life. But if you have a young boy you know that this bag has had a very hard life! My son has put it through the ringer everyday and it stood up to it really well until last week. The zippers finally went and the handle was getting more and more difficult to get down and it finally began wearing through where he constantly dragged, rubbed, threw, scraped, etc the bag against the ground, concrete steps and walls. The things I saw happen to this bag make me wince (and caused him a few lectures about caring for your things). Plus it was packed full everyday with heavy books and binders.

It holds a lot and has great separate compartments for computer, books, supplies and smaller gadgets like a DS or iPod with a headphone cutout. The wheels held up great. It is a bit heavy so he always rolls it. He has too much stuff to carry it for school anyway.

High Sierra Powerglide Wheeled Book BagThe weak point of this bag is the zipper. I find that to be true of every backpack we have tried in the last 8 years. We have had the new bag 1 day and already the easy pull zipper tab came off (some kind of nylon string hooked to a plastic tab) broke-metal zipper still there. I am hoping the actual zipper will be fine for a while. My son likes it because they have dark, nondescript colors that don't stand out which seems to be the cool thing for middle school. Dare I show him the picture of his first day of preschool with his (yes he picked it out at 3) Dora the Explorer purple fuzzy backpack??

Anyway, we like this bag. My son's words when his 1st one broke-"Can you get the exact same one? It has plenty of room and you can make it pop a wheely."

4.0 out of 5 stars This bag is HUGE!, December 6, 2012
I really like this bag. I'm a nursing student with $1000+ worth of textbooks to drag all over campus, as well as my keys, phone, water bottle, wallet, lunch bag and other whatnots. It all fits. I love the front pocket with all of the organizing pockets for small items...no more digging for my keys or pens. I love the two huge, deep main pockets. The one designed for a laptop works well for notebooks, since I don't carry a laptop. It is very well padded though, and also very big. The handle and wheels seem sturdy and don't strain under the load I carry. My only complaint is that there is no good pouch on the sides for a water bottle. There are two zipper pouches, but they unzip far enough down the side that my water bottle falls out all the time. I realize that isn't a major issue, but I'm usually on campus, living out of my bag for 4 days a week, and my water bottle is one of my daily staples. It does get a little irritating to have to pick it up off the ground all the time, or put it in the main pocket with my textbooks where it sweats all over everything. This is more of a personal preference, though. Not a major design flaw. Overall, this is a really great bag with plenty of space and lots of places for smaller, easily lost to the abyss items. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with a heavy load of books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long handle for tall people!!, September 5, 2012
This review is from: High Sierra Powerglide Wheeled Book Bag (Sports)
This just arrived today, so I admit I haven't tried it out yet. But it has a 5 year warranty, which really gives me some peace of mind. $70 is a lot to spend for a poor college student, but I really need something high-quality to carry all my heavy text books around in. I am 5'9" and the handle is actually long enough!! It's adjustable and it appears that it would work for someone even taller. I am so glad I won't have to hunch over and pull a muscle. It seems sturdy and the zippers move smoothly. There is plenty of room for a lot of heavy text books and a pocket for a laptop. It also has an organizer for pens, calculator, etc. I am impressed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality Control - Stay Away, August 13, 2013
I have purchased two of these bags now from different sellers, and they both have the same problem. I won't be trying again with a third.

The first bag I purchased was from a third party seller. When I received it, the handle was missing the screws that attach it to the two extending rods. It literally just pops right off. You can tell that somebody just didn't screw it in. My wife and I looked all over the place inside the backpack, just in case this required "some assembly". No such luck.

The third party seller was fantastic to deal with, and is taking the bag back and paying for return shipping. I definitely recommend eBags in the future.

I then bought the exact same product from Amazon, first party. Got the bag and it has the SAME exact problem. Two different sellers. Two different bags.

We called High Sierra, and they told us they couldn't help us. All we really wanted them to do was send us the two screws required to screw in the handle.

Based on this experience I recommend staying AWAY from High Sierra. Poor quality control means that you have no idea if what you order will be assembled properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Travel Back Pack Ever, November 24, 2012
Joseph Wade (World Traveler) - See all my reviews
I love this thing that replaced my old High Sierra. All the old problems were fixed including the Velcro attachment for the hide-away back pack straps. The move the laptop place to the middle giving you plenty of room in the back storage area for all your goodies. This one is built much sturdier than my last one and if you travel overseas like I do, it is great. Will hold up to a 17" laptop.