5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BAG!!
Published on May 23, 2012 by J. Sudroff

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but has some drawbacks
I, too, purchased this bag due to the enormous books I have to carry for nursing school. I did a lot of research before choosing this bag, and while I'm not dissatisfied with it, there are a lot of things I'm not thrilled about.

Published on October 26, 2012 by TheAmazingMrsA

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BAG!!, May 23, 2012
J. Sudroff (Northwest Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
New Review update 5/23/12: All I can say is I love my packback! I had it for two years now, and it has held through nursing school and lugging around those big BOOKS! It just just as good as the first day I got it! I only wish now that I could have the purple one because purple is my favorite color!!! ; ) Trust me, its worth the money to spend on a good backpack. Consider it an investment in your future!

************************* Previous Review May 7th, 2010 on the Old Sierra PowerGlide**********
I am so surprised that there are no reviews on this backpack yet, so I am going to write one in hopes that somebody will read this and maybe this will help their decision to purchase this backpack!

First of all, I purchased this from [...] on their website, and within 48 hours, my new bookbag was on my door step from Fed Ex! TALK ABOUT PROMPT! (And this was just regular shipping, not overnight!) So that REALLY impressed me! I opened up the box in excitement and saw my beautifully colored Sierra Powerglide (I had gotten the Multi-cross colored one, and I am very glad I purchased this color. It will def. stand out from the rest of the book bags!)

The reason why I purchased this book bag was because I was accepted into nursing school, and for 3 years now, I have been tugging around heavy HEAVY medical science books on my shoulders along with my laptop computer so I could take notes in my pre-requisites for nursing school! So count 3 heavy textbooks, a binder, a computer, PLUS my purse... all that weight adds up! = a very sore student! I'm already 22, don't want to feel 42! lol. So I thought, why not get a "rolling" "laptop" bag? Something with lots of room in it so I can store all my stuff in it, tug it to school, and not ruin my back in the mean time! Makes sense! And I made a brilliant decision!

The bag itself has 3 zippered compartments along with a zippered compartment that holds your MP3 player (Good for the music lovers like me!) right on the top, and along the side, there are two compartments that will hold your water bottle or whatever accessories you decide to bring along with you! The water bottle actually fits right in there perfectly and you are able to zip it so you can't even see it! (This is just a standard plastic .5 L Ice Mountain water bottle that I used in my bag!)

The pocket on the very front is good for organizing your things (pens.. pencils.. calculator, ID.. key.. phone! Notepad) So that was good. The next zipper is the zipper for your laptop! Now I am using a Hp Pavilion DV6000.. so the screen is about 15.4 inches across, and this fit perfectly in it (even with my slightly bigger battery that I am using on my computer.. it didn't make a difference in the thickness!) I even have enough room in that compartment to put a few notebooks or a small binder, or even to pack my AC adapter for my laptop in there! This was a HUGE PLUS! If you are purchasing a book bag for a laptop, the Sierra Powerglide is a good choice BECAUSE you want a book bag that places your computer IN FRONT OF YOUR BOOKS! Its a smarter design, and this means less harm for your computer in the mean time! (You won't have the weight of your books crushing on top of your PC if your computer is in the front, so keep this in mind when you are buying a bag for your laptop!)

In the main compartment, there is tons of room! You def could fit 3-4 HUGE textbooks along with a binder, and then even some on top of it, as the book bag is pretty tall! (think about putting your lunch there on top of your books on those long school days!)

And then finally, the wheels are very sturdy, and the straps feel wonderful on my back! I really like the design of the straps as you can choose to hide them when you use handle bar, or when you don't want to pull your backpack!) But honestly, I can tell you right now that I am DEF going to using the bar to pull this, as this was one of the biggest reasons why I bought this bag! The only thing that I was playing around with was the handle bar. Its kind of tricky getting it to set to the first height (the bar can raise to two heights) but with tinkering around, you can figure it out! Also, in the MP3 pocket, it is also tricky getting your headphones through that little compartment, but that is just all minor stuff!

Overall, I am very happy that I purchased this bag and I am looking forward to finishing nurse school with this bag and even graduate school! If you have a high course load and you need to find something to tug your stuff around with.... get a bag with more than 3000 cu. inch capacity, or just this one!! HIGHLY Recommend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Laptop Bag!, May 22, 2012
After a LOT of searching and reviewing, I finally decided on this wheeled laptop bag. I could not be happier!!
I continue to be amazed at how much room it has inside!! Not only is it bigger than most laptop bags, there are so many inside pockets - even zippered ones! It also has a back that unzips and provides you backpack straps to carry if you are not in a place to wheel it. The handle mechanism is very smooth and sturdy - does not feel "cheap".

This bag would work excellently for someone having to travel over a night or two - easily hold some clothes and toiletries for a quick trip.

It is worth every penny (at least as of today but I will say I have only had the opportunity to use it twice!)

Best of all it is Made in the USA!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but has some drawbacks, October 26, 2012

The Good: the bag meets my needs size wise, with enough room to carry: a large binder, two normal sized text books, 15" laptop, planner and numerous smaller supplies. The wheels seem to be well designed, and I've never had an issue with the handle. Backpack rolls smoothly and the handle on the top is super handy when you encounter a set of stairs. The numerous pockets with organizers are nice, and really help you find something in a hurry.

The Bad: the zippers are definitely not top quality. My bag came with one broken zipper, and with the way the others zip, I'm not sure they'll all last through the school year. While the bag is large, once you put a laptop in it, you are severely limited on what you can put in the largest compartment. The laptop pouch seems to be so well cushioned, that it takes up 1/3 of the overall space. Lastly, what bag maker these days doesn't put in mesh pouches for water bottles? There are zippered pockets on the side that you can shove a water bottle in, but they aren't nearly big enough, nor designed properly for that.

The only other comment I have, is be incredibly careful as to what you put in the largest compartment. Today, while pulling out on of my larger textbooks, I realized that the little wheel wells in the large compartment completely dented my textbook binding. Because it's a textbook I need for the entire year, I'm not super thrilled about it. I will live with it, but I may be looking to get a higher quality backpack come next year.

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT product. Until it rained hard., May 29, 2013
I was thrilled with my book bag for quite a while. It holds a lot of stuff, and the wheels roll very nicely. I only have one complaint, but it's a big one. I ran through a drenching rain for about 150 yards, not expecting anything to happen to the stuff inside my book bag. Wrong. The rain dripped right through the zipper, ruining the tops of my textbooks, that had been in otherwise excellent condition and worth several hundreds of dollars. They should have covered the zippers with zipper flaps. If you buy this book bag, you'll love it in the sunshine. But wait until the storm passes before running to your car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Backpack for 17 inch MacBook Pro, August 25, 2012
Great backpack and good service from eBags. The item shipped in less than 24 hours and was received ahead of schedule.

I wanted this backpack to carry my 17 inch MacBook Pro and it fits perfectly in the padded pocket. Lots of storage for files. This is a Large backpack and holds more than the rolling briefcase that I was using. I really like that it rolls so easily and that when I carry it as a backpack, there is a flap that covers the wheels so my shirt doesn't get dirty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long handle for tall people!!, September 5, 2012
This just arrived today, so I admit I haven't tried it out yet. But it has a 5 year warranty, which really gives me some peace of mind. $70 is a lot to spend for a poor college student, but I really need something high-quality to carry all my heavy text books around in. I am 5'9" and the handle is actually long enough!! It's adjustable and it appears that it would work for someone even taller. I am so glad I won't have to hunch over and pull a muscle. It seems sturdy and the zippers move smoothly. There is plenty of room for a lot of heavy text books and a pocket for a laptop. It also has an organizer for pens, calculator, etc. I am impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I prefer the Powerglide over the Freewheel, October 22, 2014
I prefer the Powerglide over the Freewheel, and here is why.

Having examined the extendable handle on the Freewheel (which I first ordered and returned), I found it to be somewhat wobbly or not too secure in the base. For example, when I extended it, and jiggled it side to side a bit, it seemed to wobble in the bag a bit at the base, not rigidly secure. So, I felt like I needed to try the Powerglide, since it had two pole extendable handle, and I am glad I did.

The Powerglide's handle was more secure to me than the Freewheel, and therefore seemed more durable or able to withstand more use over time (who knows?).

Secondly, the zippers on the Powerglide seemed better than the Freewheel. I did not like the Freewheel zippers, and felt like they would cause me trouble.

Third, the shoulder strap enclosure, which doubles as a protective back and bottom cover, so as to not get your back dirty when carrying it on your back, was a very very good addition. The Freewheel did not have this.

Fourth, overall, compared to the Freewheel, the Powerglide seemed more professional (whatever that means, respectable???), more durable, better featured (the double bar ext handle, back cover dirt flap, bigger, better zippers, etc.).

However, I preferred the weight of the Freewheel over the Powerglide. The Powerglide is heavier.

I bought a Mountansmith backpack raincover for this, and got to use it today! It worked, and also I discovered that it was not so hard to carry the Powerglide on my left side using one strap. I only carried it a couple hundred feet. Not planning to carry it far at all on my back.

If this was helpful, please give it a thumbs up. Then I know I did you right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would give 4.5 if could., October 5, 2012
I just bought my second one of these bags for my 10 year old son. We had the first one for almost 2 years. That may not sound like much and truthfully if it was my bag, I would expect much longer life. But if you have a young boy you know that this bag has had a very hard life! My son has put it through the ringer everyday and it stood up to it really well until last week. The zippers finally went and the handle was getting more and more difficult to get down and it finally began wearing through where he constantly dragged, rubbed, threw, scraped, etc the bag against the ground, concrete steps and walls. The things I saw happen to this bag make me wince (and caused him a few lectures about caring for your things). Plus it was packed full everyday with heavy books and binders.

It holds a lot and has great separate compartments for computer, books, supplies and smaller gadgets like a DS or iPod with a headphone cutout. The wheels held up great. It is a bit heavy so he always rolls it. He has too much stuff to carry it for school anyway.

High Sierra Powerglide Wheeled Book BagThe weak point of this bag is the zipper. I find that to be true of every backpack we have tried in the last 8 years. We have had the new bag 1 day and already the easy pull zipper tab came off (some kind of nylon string hooked to a plastic tab) broke-metal zipper still there. I am hoping the actual zipper will be fine for a while. My son likes it because they have dark, nondescript colors that don't stand out which seems to be the cool thing for middle school. Dare I show him the picture of his first day of preschool with his (yes he picked it out at 3) Dora the Explorer purple fuzzy backpack??

Anyway, we like this bag. My son's words when his 1st one broke-"Can you get the exact same one? It has plenty of room and you can make it pop a wheely."

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Travel Back Pack Ever, November 24, 2012
Joseph Wade (World Traveler) - See all my reviews
I love this thing that replaced my old High Sierra. All the old problems were fixed including the Velcro attachment for the hide-away back pack straps. The move the laptop place to the middle giving you plenty of room in the back storage area for all your goodies. This one is built much sturdier than my last one and if you travel overseas like I do, it is great. Will hold up to a 17" laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Storage Galore -- Worth every penny to this demanding doctorate student., July 17, 2014
I am a doctorate student and I purchased this bag so that I could haul my giant Chemistry, Biology, and Physics texts with me. I saw in reviews that some people had trouble making their books fit, but I thought I'd give it a chance anyway. And I'm glad I did!!

My wide 3-ring binders don't fit as well in the VERY back due to the wheel wells, but they fit fine if they're in front of another standard-size text. I measured, and the very back two inches of the backpack have about 10.5" between the wheel wells, but farther forward through the rest of the space can accommodate up to 14". I can carry two thick texts and two binders in the main compartment with a lot of space above them (in rolling position) to store a packed lunch.

My 17" Lenovo laptop fits great in the laptop compartment along with its bulky power cord, a day planner, and a box of granola bars in case I get stranded on campus without a lunch. (cafeteria food is so expensive!)

The little top zippered compartment fits my reading glasses in a hard case and my lab safety glasses/goggles nicely. The lower outside zippered compartment holds my clutch (aka a zippered wallet, for the guys), my cell phone, my keys, and a 5-star zippered pouch with pens, pencils, protractor, etc. The two side pouches are very roomy, but can encroach on the larger compartment space inside if you jam them full. I can fit a change purse and my 16oz water bottle into one of these completely and zip it closed when the main compartment is full.

None of the zippers get hung up or have broken in the six months I have used it. My parking space is a half mile from my class building; I've dragged this bag behind me back and forth from my car to class every day, sometimes twice a day, M-F all through the spring semester and the wheels are still rolling smoothly. I have dragged it through shallow snow/slush/salt during those trips - the interior stayed dry and the exterior has not become damaged. I've only ventured to roll it through the pouring rain a couple of times, but from those experiences I can say that everything inside the bag stayed dry.

I will say that the bag is not very comfortable to carry on my back for very long. It's extremely useful to have those straps for between classes when the hallways are jammed with people, or during the winter when I don't want to drag it through a foot of snow, but the bars of the rolling handle and the wheels both dig into my back after a while... It probably would not be so uncomfortable if I didn't have SO much heavy stuff packed into it. The straps are easy to get out and put away - I leave the very top of the strap compartment unzipped all the time so I can easily open one side and slide out a single shoulder strap to use on stairways and crowded hallways.

Oh, and the top handle is holding up great as well - I use it over and over to haul the bag into and out of my car, up curbs, short sets of stairs, etc, and NONE of the stitching is coming undone or stretching. And I really think that's saying a lot, because I just weighed it "full" with my standard gear listed above and it weighs 45lbs!

Overall, I love this bag and I'm incredibly satisfied with my purchase. I hope it continues to stand up to the demands I put on it for the next four years as well!