Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: Black|Change
Price:$56.66+ $11.79 shipping

on August 3, 2009
After reading other reviews, I was a little reluctant to purchase this pack. Yet despite the generally mediocre tone of these reviews, I went ahead and ordered the one as it had a very attractive price point when compared to similar alternatives here on Amazon. After a proper two night trek in the Shenandoah, I'm happy to report that I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

PROS:

- Stylish (note that the black pack has orange interior accents)
- Rain shield was large enough to cover full pack and keep interior completely dry
- Highly adjustable (I'm 5'8", 150 lbs and with proper adjusting - including the back beam - it fit perfectly)
- Reasonably weighted (not the lightest, but it's serviceable)
- Great construction (fabric seems durable and is appropriately reinforced where necessary)
- Plenty of clip-in loops for external storage of gear
- Large interior bladder pocket and bladder tube openings are a nice touch and got plenty of use
- A functional 45 liters (The pack fit all the gear I needed for a two night / three day hike including a two person tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad strapped to bottom, extra clothes, first aid kit, tools and food)

CONS:

- Interior zippers were a little difficult to zip back into place to restore a dual-compartment configuration
- The top-cover to the main compartment provides a better seal when the pack is full as oppose to semi-full
- Rain shield is a bit flimsy and I can see it tearing if snagged on something sharpish
- The detachable "media" compartment on strap is not water resistant
- Lower sleeping bag pocket is a little too small for my nylon/pollyfill sleeping bag (I had to unzip the lower compartment and make one big main compartment to fit my bag)
on June 13, 2007
I got the pack because it's cheap and looked like it would suit my purposes. When I got it the label says that it is for torso height of 15"-19" which is most women and medium built guys. This information is not on the website and it really should be. I went to a local store and got measured at 21" torso height and immediately sent the pack back. If you are within the 15"-19" torso height then I would recommend it saying that it looks like a good bargain.
55 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2008
I picked up this pack to keep as a loaner if any of my less outdoorsy friends wanted to hit the backcountry w/ me. I was very impressed with the quality and workmanship. The pack is on the smaller side, but its perfect for ultralight trekking. It takes a beating, is very adjustable for small to medium frame folks, and has plenty of loops and daisy chains to attach more gear. Needless to say, I choose this pack over my North Face pack pretty often. An excellant value for the minimalist. If you carry everything but the sink into the woods, however, this pack is not for you...
on October 25, 2011
The Summit 45 would be the perfect overnight pack if the sternum and shoulder straps would stop slipping. Every time I would reach my arm out to stabilize myself when scrambling over rocks the straps would zip out and throw you off balance especially if you were not prepared for the sudden shift in weight. If this happened once or twice it would not be a big deal but if you are hiking 9-10 hours a day you don't want to be adjusting your straps every 15 minutes. It is always the small things that create an annoyance. If you have a medium or small frame this could be the pack for you. It is well constructed although the front pocket is near useless if the main body is stuffed full with gear and food.
on August 26, 2014
I don't really agree with some of the reviews that this backpack is for "smaller" frame folks as I'm 6'1 260 lbs.

This is a perfect sturdy bag for a 2 day hike or travel international. My backpack has survived two lengthy backpacking trips through Southeast Asia. It's small enough to function as a "carry-"on" bag without any problems the many times I've flown with it.

It has it's little quirks as mentioned in other reviews but it's a tremendous value - I would gladly buy another.
on November 1, 2007
This bag is a great summer overnight packing bag. Not good for colder winter or extended trips. It has very little packing room. The sleeping bag pouch on the bottom is too small for a regular bag, but fits a fleece bag and a camp pillow. The center front zip pocket is useless when the main compartment is packed full. The rain cover is great. The bag is lightweight and very comfy for any size person just about. My small framed 110 lb friend was very comfy in it as was I at 190 lbs. Just not enough room for a long trip. Overall great features, well made quality bag but small.
on July 23, 2009
I am female and bought this pack to use as carry on luggage when I am flying somewhere to hike and can't bring my favorite but less rugged (for airline travel) Osprey pack with me. It is comfortable and worked well on it's maiden trip to Oregon from New Hampshire. The sleeping bag compartment is small, and the zipper is not very easy to use -- perhaps it will get better with time, but the compartment does open up into the main bag, so that isn't really an issue. It held my 15 degree bag just fine without zipping the compartment open. The shoulder adjustments and sternum strap slipped as I hiked, but were easy to readjust. The top lid slops around unless the pack is fully loaded, so I adjusted for that by putting the top cynch over the top lid. For the price, it meets my needs well. Especially like that it came with a rain fly and is not overly heavy.
on August 6, 2010
We purchased this bag in the orange flavor as my wife's 1st pack.........turned out great, and everything about the bag as far as quality goes is top notch! Nothing compares to this in the sub $100 price range, at least for the ones we looked at in person from several different stores. Only has a couple flaws that I can see, and one personal preference I would like to see improved on.

1st, for the ladies looking at this pack which is a "universal" design, I caution you that the sternum strap may not have enough comfort/adjustment for those who may be more well endowed, as my lady is a very slim/petite framed girl and even she found trouble in finding the right adjustments.

2nd, the top portion as stated b4 is annoying to deal with when the bag is less than full due to not having any way to cinch it down tight when not fully loaded. Therefore leaving slightly exposed areas under the top-hat cover.

3rd: this is more a personal thing than any real problem or defect........the water bladder pocket is inside the main compartment, making it necessary to open up and remove anything you have packed around it in order to empty/refill it as needed especially when packed full. Something I found that seems to be common on all internal frame packs this size up thru the larger ones till you get some eternal side pockets.

Don't let this keep you from buying an otherwise great frame pack.
on April 26, 2011
This backpack is large and has a lot of space, and multiple compartments. You can fit plenty of stuff in it. This backpack isn't super comfortable, but is more comfortable than others I've worn. It is also better than the average backpack if youre taking it camping, because you can get more stuff in it. It doesnt come with a hydration bladder installed, but there is a place to put one, and a slot for the hose. This backpack is also tough, and has multiple straps so you don't strain your shoulders and back.
on September 13, 2009
The price was just right for this. Was looking for a decent day to 2 day pack for hiking and camping with my friend who's a little more experienced than I. Top pocket is perfect for all the snacks you need (even had some left over after a 2 day hiking trip). I fit sleeping bag, 2liter bladder(with it's own compartment), all toiletries, 4 bagels, pb&j, 2 boxes of pop tarts, 2 bags of trail mix, 2 changes of clothes, a rain coat, 2 water bottles, an extra bottle of gaterade, towel, and ipod. Definitely works for a solo 2 day hike if you pack light. Bottom pocket is too small for a typical sleeping bag, so I used it to fit all my clothes. Though you can open up the top to connect to the bottom for a larger bag. The front pocket is only good for towels or something thin. Has plenty of straps to tighten the bag down. Plenty of loops to latch on extra gear. Cloth seems pretty tough. Works just as good as packs that cost closer to [...]

See 1 answered question