Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: High Standards
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

50%
50%
Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$8.91

on April 25, 2011
Personally I'm a huge fan of Jeff's playing, and I will certianly be transcribing all of his solos off of this one. I love his fluidity, not to mention soloistic ideas. He really is one of the most versatile electric players in the world.

That being said, this was a huge payoff for me in terms of JB solos, because of course, he solos on every tune. Awesome. Plenty of bang for your buck if you're into electric solos.

So now for the critical part: I don't feel like the album ever really settles. Jeff's solos are extremely on top of the beat, and his comping doesn't sit back for a minute. By the time I got to Body and Soul, I was more than ready to chill back on some more lyrical playing, but even that turned out to be just as busy and hectic. I Want To be Happy takes right off, then their version of Invitation is blessidly swinging, but then we're right back into the madness. Almost like he's trying to inject energy into the group. Hit a spliff or something, Jeff (and play some REAL HIGH standards), and relax a little bit, man. We know you can do it all, and sometimes we want to get our butt kicked by your playing, but sometimes we just want to listen to the music.

To sum it up, if you're into bass solos up the wazoo (which was exactly what I wanted), this is the album for you. If you want to hear a trio grooving for real, get some Brad Mehldau. This album is GOOD, but if you want 5 stars from me, you gotta be good enough to not have to try so hard.
on October 10, 2010
High Standards is a departure for Jeff Berlin. Instead of the prog fusion ensembles he is known for, Jeff explores the traditional jazz trio format featuring his electric bass and accompanied by piano and drums. Expert musicianship abounds and it is a surprising that Richard Drexler and Danny Gottlieb's names are not featured more prominently. Their contributions are considerable even though this is Jeff's record. A comparison can be made to Bill Bruford's recording, If Summer Had Its Ghosts with Ralph Towner and Eddie Gomez. The most difficult adjustment for the listener is hearing the electric bass as the lead instrument in this setting. The timbre is unexpected for a role that would usually feature a sax player. Jeff's playing appears to be effortless, and he performs solos that are reminiscent of former bandmate and guitarist, Allan Holdsworth. High Standards is a very satisfying recording and worthy addition to any jazz enthusiasts collection.