Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on February 25, 2012
I already had one of these and it worked flawlessly in two different Intel-based computers. So when a friend of mine wanted his own RAID array, I got this for him too. However, his computer is AMD-based, and it wouldn't work.

The issue was his motherboard already had a RAID controller and he was using it to mirror his C: drive. But when I booted with the 622 card inserted and the RAID enclosure connected, the 622 would walk the disks in the RAID enclosure, but the internal RAID controller never initialized. So it couldn't boot because it couldn't see the mirrored C: drive.

Looking at the web, I saw this was probably an INT13 problem, and the way to fix it was to get a firmware update from HighPoint support. Unfortunately, HighPoint doesn't put their firmware update on the web for download, so you have to contact them. This was more difficult than you would have thought.

I first tried emailing them using the support email address they had in the printed documentation that came with the card. There was no response. After several days, I sent a follow up email, but that fell on deaf ears too.

So then I called the support number also listed in the documentation. No one ever picked up this number, and it always went to voice mail. The OGM said "leave a message and we'll get back to you in 24 hours", but I never received a return call. This went on for 2 weeks.

Then I called the main number to complain, and only then could I speak to a real person. I was told that HighPoint no longer provided any other method of support except web support. Once I did this, HighPoint eventually got back to me with a download link for the firmware update as well as instructions. The instructions, however, were missing some steps, so it took another couple of go-rounds until I actually got this thing working.

But working it is now. It's even faster than it was before the firmware upgrade - I now see about 100mB/s on writes, where before it was closer to 60mB/s.

On final note. In the process of getting this to work, I found that during the boot, you can press the END key on the keyboard when the 622 is initializing. This will bypass the 622's BIOS initialization and proceed with the rest of the boot. When Windows starts, the Windows driver initializes the card again anyway, so it works just fine in Windows even if it doesn't initialize in BIOS. This is how I was able to use the RAID array before I got the firmware update from HighPoint.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2013
: Short version : Quick install, fast card, great product.

: Other Version : Installing this card was as painless as it gets. It's small and includes 4 SATA cables. After installing the card and powering up I installed the driver disc and rebooted. The config screen was easy to walk through. I set up my 4 3TB drives as RAID 5, saved and rebooted. The new drive was recognized by Win 7. After formatting I was ready to go.

I had my original 4 drive SW RAID still attached to the motherboard (ASUS Ramgage Gene IV) with the new drives attached to RocketRaid. I started copying close to 5.5TB of data from old to new. I watched peaks over 130/mb but it ran steady between 40-70 /mb. In all it took about 28 hours to move all the data (with some delays in interaction by me rearranging some things on the new drives).

Once the data transfer was complete, I detatched the old drives, installed the new ones in the case and closed it up. When I rebooted, all things we right where they should be (except for a small issue of drive letters). I didn't do a benchmark but it did seem these drives ran faster than the previous set (all drives were SATA III 3TB drives). This was especially noticable when writing data to the drives and copying data from other networked computers. HW RAID vs. SW RAID might have something to do with this impression too.

None that I have found. Maybe that I paid for overnight shipping but didn't get it overnight. No reflection on the product in any case.

In summary, this is a very good card, at a very good price and it just plain does what it says.
on May 23, 2014
I have been using this card for a year for two external drives connected to the eSATA ports with no complaints about speed or accuracy (i.e., no drive errors read or write). That should get a controller 5 stars since what you want is speed while accurate. (This is with Windows Server 2012, and the driver in AHCI mode not RAID mode.)

1 star removed for absolutely annoying and unnecessary 30 second delay in this card's BIOS at each boot to "scan for drives". Other SATA controllers don't do this. It is impossible to avoid via configuration of any kind. While your server is stable and running at weeks between reboots this 30 second delay isn't important, but when you go into a software/hardware configuration mode (e.g., upgrading the OS or replacing failed drives) then a 30 second delay for each reboot gets frustrating real quickly.

Second star removed for this card not working with Windows Storage Spaces. The problem (which you can find in various postings on the web) is that this controller doesn't assign distinct "uniqueid" values to each attached drive, as a result, some drives attached to this card will not show up as available to be assigned to a storage pool. You'd think calling a field "uniqueid" in the specification would be a sufficient hint to a firmware programmer that the values assigned by the driver ought to be, you know, UNIQUE i.e., distinct, but not in this case.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2011
Installed this card in a new Win 7/64 PC I built and it works great. Installation was very easy and went smooth. Rather then run 2 or 3 independent HDDs for data and media storage, which I had on my Win XP machine before this one, I wanted to run a RAID 1 setup this time so all my files would be automatically backed up. This card does the trick, and the price is very reasonable and affordable. I now have two Hitachi Deskstar 2 TB 3.5-Inch CoolSpin RPM SATA III 6Gbps 32 MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0F12117 for 2 TB of mirrored (RAID 1) storage. Plenty of room to store my large collection of photos and mp3 files. Setup was fairly simple using the WebGUI from HighPoint, and Win 7 sees the RAID array as a single 2 TB drive. Perfect! I never needed to go into the BIOS of the motherboard or Rocket RAID card. I would highly recommend this card to anyone looking for an affordable RAID solution to install inside a PC.
on January 16, 2013
Installation and configuration is very easy.
This card works well in PCIe x16, my motherboard does not have x4, performance is good and very similar to the review I've seen of my Intel 330 180GB.
The manual shows how to install the driver for Windows 7 during the installation process. Everything is faster now.

La instalación y configuración es muy fácil.
Esta tarjeta funciona bien en x16 PCIe, mi placa base no tiene x4, el rendimiento es bueno y muy similar a la revisión que he visto de mi Intel 330 180GB.
El manual muestra cómo instalar el controlador para Windows 7 durante el proceso de instalación. Todo es más rápido ahora.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300

Acc.Time: 0050 ms, 0209 ms
Score: 424, 395
Total: 1029
on February 19, 2013
Before purchasing a HighPoint product, it is important to know that the documentation leaves a lot to be desired and they have horrible (almost non-existent) customer support. You are left to post questions on a message board, which they typically provide very terse, inadequate responses. Thus you are left to go back and forth with them for a long time, often never getting a clear answer to your question.
on August 26, 2012
Added to my AMD system for SATA 6 GB\s. Installed easy between dual video cards and Win7 recognized it right away. Using for booting OS on OCZ agility 3 120gb SSD. Bandwith is limited to the pciex1 slots throughput, but I knew that going into it. Went from 5.9 windows index score to the full 7.9 for hdd even with the limited speed of the pciex1 slot. Runs stable no issues yet.

Driver disc was very outdated, but Win7 added its own. The cables included are long enough to reach the top of my AMD Edition HAF Full Tower case. The included instructions leave a lot to be desired though so that is one star off.
on July 11, 2015
I've been using this in a 2008 Mac Pro that quadruple boots into OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8 for a over a year now and I'm just about fed up with all the little nagging issues that make the experience unsatisfactory for me:

1) When booting anything Windows, the card always delays the startup by performing a disk scan that takes at least 30 seconds, if not longer. Since I boot to different OS's constantly, this is absolutely irritating, and from my research, completely unnecessary as most other SATA HBA's do not do this. Even worse: when multi-booting Windows and are presented the newer Windows 8+ boot loader GUI, if you select any older Windows, the computer is completely rebooted and you have to suffer through the HBA's disk scan a SECOND time.

2) You MUST use the web interface to "unplug" a drive before powering down/removing drives in JBOD. And with OS X, sometimes performing this action will unmount OTHER drives that aren't even connected to the HBA. My bug reports to HighPoint were responded with "engineering could not duplicate nor determine the issue is with the HBA" (paraphrasing the response here).

3) If the internal alarm goes off on the HBA (such as powering down/removing a drive without first using its web interface to "unplug" it) there doesn't appear to be anyway to reset or turn it off, nor be able to use that drive or its slot for another drive, without resorting to a complete computer restart; absolutely maddening! Of course, you can always disable the alarm via the web interface, but then that defeats the purpose of having an alarm in the first place.

4) There appears to be incompatibilities with Apple's Core Storage introduced with Yosemite, resulting in non-mounting or inadvertent unmounting of these types of volumes when attempting access.

5) There appears to be incompatibilities with drives larger than 3TB, with similar problems of non-mounting or inadvertent unmounting of volumes when attempting access (like in #4 above). The new drive caddy I recently and specifically purchased was stated as being compatible with 4TB+ drives.

Even though this HBA is compatible with port multipliers (which is the main reason why I got this in the first place), I'm absolutely fed-up with its issues and cannot recommend to anyone unless cost plus port-multiplier compatibility are absolute priorities (with cost being number one). I'm now on the hunt for a replacement eSATA HBA and am contemplating the OS X and Windows-compatible Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro Plus.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The 640L I purchased was to provide a RAID1 array of two 480GB SSD drives. This worked fine for several months until yesterday When one of the drives dropped off the array. The dropped drive didn't show up in the BIOS for the card at all. Very weird I thought. I removed the dropped drive and ran diagnostics on another computer checking the smart data which indicated the drive was 100% OK.

When I put the drive back into the configuration and choose repair I ended up with an unbootable array. I used my Windows 7 Pro CD to initiate a repair of the configuration. After many steps along the way I was eventually able to boot Windows 7 but the system was badly damaged with missing DLLs and other horrible messes.

Luckily I had a recent backup and was able to copy recently changed critical data to USB drive. I'm going to order a much more expensive LSI RAID controller to run this RAID1 array. I've used these in the past and never lost a bit of data with a LSI RAID controller and RAID1, RAID10 or RAID5.

For most folks this might be a fine controller and when it worked it was plenty quick. But I went with a RAID1 capable controller because I wanted reliability first and speed second. In this case recovery for a reported drive failure resulted in a loss of data and operating system.

Because my situation might not just be because of the card - there are cables involved - I'm giving this controller 2 stars. I'm really glad I make backups!!

Hope this helps someone save some frustration. I'll update this review if I learn more about why the problem happened.

Update August 5, 2014:

I decided to try reinitializing my RAID1 on the HighPoint and reinstalling Windows 7 Pro. It installed and then after the 2nd round of updates it was suddenly unbootable. Using the Win7 DVD to try to repair was useless. That's it - the last straw for this HighPoint. Time to go with something I have good experience with.

I ordered a SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+SAS RAID adapter and two Monoprice 0.5m 30AWG Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male to SATA 7pin Female (x4) Breakout Cable to replace the HighPoint 640L. LSI is much more pricy but has been reliable in the past.

I thought I'd save money by going with HighPoint but the time lost and frustration made it no bargain at all. Also, it seems on deeper research it can have compatibility problems with some motherboards. I guess that's my luck...

Update: October 2, 2014
I have been using the LSI SAS9211-8I for several months now with perfect operation. Not a hiccup and great performance. The lesson learned is sometimes spending more for a critical component like a RAID controller is the far better value.

Update July 11, 2015
My LSI SAS9211-9I is still humming along giving great performance and no failures. I am very very pleased and the extra money was well spent for my system.
on January 2, 2014
I bought this card because my on-board eSATA controller was out of capacity. After installing this card and a new drive I though I was good to go because it booted up first time. However, after configuring the drive the machine would no longer boot up. Delete the configuration and it would boot again. The upshot seems to be that the card expected the drive to be bootable, which it wasn't and is never going to be. After some digging around on the vendors website I came across an instruction to flash the cards BIOS and turn off the INT13 setting. The instructions were very sparse, but doing that involved not only downloading the BIOS update but also creating a bootable USB stick to boot into DOS and run the update. I got there in the end, but probably spent about 3 hours figuring it all out. The card now works fine but note that it is slow during boot up. It sits on a Scanning for Devices screen for about 20 seconds.