5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget-watch
The alti xt has all the features of the Suunto Core...alti, baro, comp...and I've had no issues with any of the features. They're spot-on.
Published on January 31, 2013 by Skip13

3.0 out of 5 stars really wish it was a lot better....
Published 21 months ago by the dudeson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget-watch, January 31, 2013
The watch is big...as big as the Core...but the band is very comfortable, and it's very light on the wrist. The readout is not that bright, and somewhat difficult to read in lower light, but the back light is fine in illuminating it.
I was lucky to get mine at $80, and it was a steal! I use it as an 'every day watch' in Afghanistan, and have had no problems so far. Definitely worth the money, and a great watch that does everything that watches 3x the price do. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars really wish it was a lot better...., May 13, 2013
purchased this watch for a backpacking trip i had coming to the grand canyon. lets start with the positive stuff. Watch looks and feels great, it is very comfortable. The band is rubber and just works well. The screen looks great even though in some light it is a little difficult to see. At night the watch with the back light is very easy to read. i used the alarm function and it works great, chime is as loud as a watch would be. i used the altimeter and it was within 150 feet, which for my use was great i did not need something crucially accurate. The compass is a different story. i calibrated the watch multiple times at home where i knew exactly what direction i was pointing. Took me a few tries but i finally got it to where it seem it was pretty accurate. Pointed N,S,E, and West. when i was at the grand canyon, no matter where i was or where i was pointing it always registered SSE never budged. I figured maybe it was because we were in a pretty narrow canyon most of the time, i gave it the benefit of the doubt. I got home and it still reads SSE. i have not tried re calibrating it since, good thing we had a old fashion compass with us. I would not solely rely on it. Barometer work pretty good. Some of the weather patterns it displayed were pretty accurate, temperature seemed off mostly because i think it picked up a lot of my body heat. All in all the watch has great potential just fell short in some things. i'm still keeping it just cause it looks and feels great and almost all the function worked. Oh yeah i did swim with this watch and it held up great, it says on the instructions not to press any buttons when wet because you can force water into the watch, which i though was pretty lame. Needless to say i did not press any buttons while wet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product with one worry, May 14, 2013
I just received this product and after having it out of the box for 5 minutes, I new all of its features and how to use the watch. All this was done without even reading the instructions. The watch has a sturdy design and a very comfortable wrist band. The price was very comfortable for me as well. I really like Sunnto, but do not want to spend 300+ dollars on a watch. Spending 109 seemed better to me and with all of the features, this is a Sunnto, without the "brand name". I have seen many Sunnto's in my life and I must say that I like this watch much better. I have read before that the back light is very dim, but I have to disagree. I even tested this out and pushed the button during the day and guess what, I couldn't see it. You aren't supposed to see it during the day. Backlights are for dim lighting or at night. When I used the back light at night, it was bright and worked great! The only down side is this is supposed to have a two year warranty, but how do I register my watch? Also, Amazon did not package it well and when I received it, the watch was half out/half in the container. Not impressed with the shipping of this product. I am in the military so we will see how this watch holds up. The only thing that really worries me about this watch is that if you remove the backing to put in a new battery and do not put the backing on correctly and water gets in and damages the watch, the warranty is voided. Even with this said, I would still recommend this watch and will be buying Highgear again when the time comes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, July 24, 2013
This review is from: Highgear Alti-XT Altimeter Watch
I've owned this watch for over a month and it works great! Water resistance, contrary to other reviews, is as listed. 50 M is good enough for light swimming, and you should NEVER push buttons on ANY watch rated less than 200M (ie, a dive computer) unless otherwise stated. The Suunto Core, the nearest competitor watch, has water resistance of only 30 M, and although it has a depth meter, the company also says NOT to push buttons under water.

Altimeter, barometer and compass all work reasonably well considering they are functions on a watch, and not dedicated instruments. They need to be calibrated periodically to function correctly, but that is to be expected. Also, the barometer, it should be noted, predicts *likely* weather changes in the upcoming six hours based on previous pressure readings. It doesn't guarantee the weather- if anything could, it would be used by weather forecasters everywhere! But what it does (give you an idea of potential weather changes) works well.

I have the white face (Much easier to see than the negative face) with the silver bezel. Lightweight, not too thick, extremely comfortable - forget its on my wrist. Battery hatch allows user to change battery without compromising water resistance. Excellent value, and bests the Suunto easily when factoring price (got mine for $85). Even at list price, still a better value than Suunto's costing twice the amount. My only reason for a four star rating is that the silver paint on the plastic bezel scratches easily, but then again, not using it as a fashion accessory. All things considered, a fantastic camping watch!

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT WATERPROOF PER COMPANY - otherwise a good value, September 13, 2013
I'm trying to give a fair review here. The watch and negative display look very cool, the menus are fairly easy to use, and the altimeter has proven accurate. (You must calibrate the altimeter by a known altitude or baro pressure if you want to rely on it--mine stayed accurate during a three-day backpack trip in the mountains involving several thousand feel of elevation ascent and descent).

The negative display, however, can't be read from an angle, and the light does not stay on long enough to skip through the menus, so you have to hit it several times if going through the menus in the dark. Also, the timer times out after 30 seconds if not running, which is kind of annoying if you have to wait more than 30 seconds before starting the timer. The compass is difficult to get an exact reading--more of an estimate. And both the first one and the replacement I got each randomly just re-set out of nowhere--it was 1/1/11 all of a sudden. Not helpful if you're going to rely on this in the wilderness for very long.

Some other issues: the watch allows you to set the weather icon (which predicts the weather based on changes in barometric pressure), but once you do, it stops working--just stays the same. You have to remove the battery and totally reset the watch. Before knowing how I could re-set it, I had to mail the watch in, and the company fixed it.

My main beef: the watch advertises as "Water Resistant to 50m." But after owning the watch 6 months (and never even submerging it in water), it started to cloud up every time I'd wash my hands. Company told me that they're sorry if I was "misinformed," but water "resistance" only indicates pressure. To ensure the watch is not damaged, they told me, I should keep it away from water. To me, not only does this render their "50m" claim misleading; but any such water "resistance" has absolutely NO PRACTICAL VALUE.

In sum, if you don't mind keeping this watch away from water, it is cool looking and a good buy (compared with a comparable Suunto, for example, at $300, and about which users have the same general complaints).

5.0 out of 5 stars Did as what is expected, January 1, 2014
Plenty of reviewers didnt like this watch.. I really dont know why.. Everything is great.. I have a suunto ambit and the readings are the same. I got this watch for $70. It is worth every penny!

I use it for my everyday trail run beacause i want to keep the suunto ambit in shape for racing..

3.0 out of 5 stars Locks up..., December 26, 2013
I love this watch. Just the right size, looks cool and after a little hiccup getting the compass to sync, no issues. Now, none of the buttons work. Which s fine, but it's stuck on the time. No way to change it. I cannot seem to get it to reset. I'll update y'all when Highgear gets back to me...

3.0 out of 5 stars A great budget ABC watch., September 15, 2014
It's a good ABC watch. Although mine had some fogging under the glass and it's not like wet fogging but more like your windows on your car from the inside where you can take your finger and wipe the window and see the streak. The bad is you can't clean under the glass of the watch so it tended to muffle the visibility of the digits and such. Mostly in daylight vs night. I'm not sure what caused the fogging to begin with but it made it somewhat of a bummer. With that said, the watch is a really nice ABC watch with in my opinion has better functions and features than the Suunto Core. I know cause I just bought a core after returning this one. I miss the multi alarms. Dedicated buttons for ABC functions. The predicted weather icons in Baro mode. If your in the market for an ABC watch and don't want to fork over the 200+ for a Suunto then this will fit the bill. Although the Suunto core is a great watch it has it's set backs. Oh yeah the alarms on the core are very low. On the HG not so. The HG is loud and clear and the button tones are very audible. I wished the core was like that. :( but the core glass is glass and not plastic like the HG Alti but for 100$ it's a bargain. I hope high gear reopens with some more products because of right now they are taking a hiatus for whatever reason.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice if weather is not changing, October 14, 2013
Nice watch, big numbers for us older crew. compass is pretty accurate, but sensitive to metal on one's body or close. if away from body, quite accurate. Declination easy to set. the problem is that the heading is along the axis of the watch band, unchangable that I can find, and making my wrist flat and perpendicular to the direction I am facing is not all that easy. if the rotating bezel would change the reference point for north, would be a terrific watch.
the altitude is very accurate as compared to a good GPS altitude once it is calibrated. Works great in the west a 10,000 ft with no change it weather. in the east, you can easily gain or loose hundreds of feet sitting in a chair as a weather front moves thru. that is inherent with a barometer based altimeter. overall, I like it. Waiting to see how long the battery lasts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 5, 2014
This is a great watch just be prepared the Negative display is rather hard to read in low light situations, obviously nothing hitting the light function doesn't fix but just a heads up. Also the compass part is VERY hard to setup. I had to calibrate it twice to get it to work properly only reason for the 4 instead of 5 stars is due to the compass. Altimeter is DEAD on, and the temp as expected measures your body heat to an extent, i found it about 5-10 degrees off until i took the watch off (just to check it out) and it was nearly dead on..

Highgear Alti-XT Altimeter Watch