5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and Affordable
This is a great watch for someone who wants all the bells and whistles of a good, outdoor computer watch at a good price. I have several friends who own other brands with the exact same functions, and they paid two or three times as much.

Published on March 28, 2007 by Mattany

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware!
If you do not buy this watch from one of the retailers listed on High Gear's website, the watch is not warrantied! Their customer service is exceptionally unhelpful. The quality is poor enough you will need the warranty...or look at another brand.

Published on April 16, 2008 by W. Farrell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and Affordable, March 28, 2007

The watch face is large and easy to read, and the functions and buttons are easy to use, making it a very user-friendly.

I have used it all over the world in a variety of climates and situations and have yet to find a significant complaint about it. I purchased it for the compass, altimeter, and thermometer. All have been accurate and helpful, especially the compass; I carry a GPS for more accurate orientation but it's nice to just glance down at my watch for a quick direction and heading.

I have been very happy with this watch and would highly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best deal around for the technology, November 11, 2006
Jason R. Gallia (Highlands Ranch, CO) - See all my reviews
I've had the Alterra for a couple months now. It really is the best buy out there for all the features you get. It doesn't have heart rate, but the ski chronograph, altimeter, weather sensor, and compass work very well. They're all based on the atmospheric pressure gauge within the watch (except the compass), so the watch really needs to be calibrated every day. I use Google Earth to get my current GPS location and the NSPS website for declination correction. This works well. If you don't calibrate the altitude can be off my hundreds of feet. After things are dialed in the watch is really a helpful device that costs significantly less than any Polar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch if you Understand Altimeters, October 22, 2007
This watch is a technical masterpiece. I am a private pilot, and have found the altimeter/barometer to be a more mechanically accurate instrument than the altimeter in my airplane ASSUMING you set the barometer to the correct current setting (a limitation inherent in all pressure altimeter/barometers). Also, the rate of climb indicator reads the same as the indicator on my airplane, except it lags by about 10 seconds. I wore a Timex Expedition electronic compass watch for nearly 10 years (repurchased several of them) and the electronic compass on this HighGear watch is much more accurate and reliable. But if you do not hold it perfectly level, it will be off by 5 or 10 degrees, so a tiny bubble level would have been a nice addition. The watch is about the same circumference as the Timex, but a little thicker. Until I tried this one on, I was afraid an altimeter watch would look too big on my skinny wrist, but I think the HighGear Alterra looks nice enough to wear every day to work (I work as an attorney). I purchased the grey/black version with shiny stainless-steel-looking "graphite" metal bezel and trim, not the all-black one. My 15-year-old fashionista daughter confirms that it does not look nerdy. The biggest drawback is that it does not have a countdown timer, which I used extensively in my previous watch. The second biggest drawback is the instruction manual, which does not have enough background information for a more advanced user to understand how the watch's computer brain is manipulating the barometer setting, nor is it adequate for a beginner to understand how a pressure altimeter/barometer works. If you are a novice, get a flight training manual and read how the pressure altimeter works in an airplane, so you can understand the limitations of this watch. The altimeter and barometer are essentially just one instrument--an air pressure sensor. It does not know whether a reduction in air pressure is because you are going up in altitude (thinner air up-high), or because lower air pressure all around you is blowing in with a change in the weather (a low-pressure center). So this watch's little brain makes an educated guess on what is causing the pressure change, based on data that is available to it. Keep in mind that the "sea-level-adjusted" barometer setting and the altimeter are essentially hooked together like the two hands on a clock--if you change one, the other will instantly change. If you know the current barometer reading (adjusted down to sea level, to compare apples-to-apples), this watch will tell you your exact altitude with amazing precision, within ten feet (based on my first two weeks of use). If you know your current altitude, it will tell you the exact sea-level barometer reading. A computer in the watch interprets fast pressure changes as altitude changes, and slow pressure changes as weather-related barometer setting changes (at least this is what I am guessing, because the manual provides few clues about how the little brain thinks). I wish I knew so that I could anticipate when it has been "fooled". I also wish it had a manual over-ride, to allow me to "lock" the barometric setting when I want to use the watch like an aircraft altimeter. I can easily get the current barometric setting close to my present location from any airport by radio or telephone, or off of the internet from a weather site. The watch is easy to manipulate between functions, but I wish that it had an option to display the "sea-level adjusted" barometer setting on the time page (instead of the actual barometric pressure) because the latter is meaningless junk-data for any practical weather-related purpose. The sea-level adjusted barometer reading can be easily found on the barometer page, however. Over this past weekend I went backpacking and driving from 4000 feet to 9200 feet. While I was driving or walking it interpreted all of the pressure changes as altitude changes (which was essentially correct) and while I was sleeping in my tent it interpreted the pressure changes as barometric pressure changes (also correct). So, almost two days after its last adjustment, it was still reading the altitude within 100 feet of the correct altitude. I have a little more confidence in the little brain now. The weather predictive function has not proved very useful to me, probably because when you are going up and down a lot the watch does not have time to see a trend in barometric pressure changes. For that, you would need to stay at the same altitude for a while. This is my best watch ever, and I would recommend it over a Rolex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and Functional- Great Watch, February 17, 2007
I've had this watch for a little less than a month and I am still very much impressed by all of its features. I have yet to calibrate the altimeter, but every time that I have been around an elevation sign it has been very consistent and is only off by about 30 feet. The altimeter log is incredibly easy to set and recall, and is a great way to keep track of elevation changes while backpacking, biking, and especially skiing. I would definitely recommend this watch for any outdoor enthusiast, particularly a skier.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware!, April 16, 2008

I had a problem with the buttons not working, so I contacted High Gear for a return authorization number. They refused the return authorization under warranty because "it was not purchased from an authorized High Gear dealer". Who knew? I perused their website with this new tidbit of information, and did not see Amazon listed as an "authorized on-line dealer". I contacted the BBB, and they were unable to convince High Gear to honor the warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice watch, June 9, 2007
This watch looks and performs really well. I made sure to go windsurfing with it to test its waterproofness. The display is big thus easy to read. The watch is relatively large, but, unlike the Summit, is not too large for day to day wear. Compass, altimeter, and and watch are easy to set, once you understand how to use it. Barometer works well, but weather icon is useless (I'm looking out at gray and drizzle while my icon shows sunshine). The night lighting is also very good. Downside is the type of stuff you would expect from a multifunction watch. You better be prepared to put some serious time into reading the manual and messing with the watch. I'f you're not prepared to learn it well, don't buy this watch. The size would be large for a woman, but actually only men get into this type of stuff.

ADDITION: I subsequently had a minor problem with the watch. Response time and service were excellent. I have to give the company a five star rating because of excellent customer support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price, February 8, 2008
You can spend a lot more money for products with these features. For the price, I think the value is excellent.

To address a couple of complaints that people have -

Temperature tends to reflect body temperature. Not particularly helpful. You have to take it off your wrist to get ambient temperature.

The altimeter/pressure function works well. Altitude will always vary based on barometric pressure. The watch lets you save three known altitudes as a reference. That way, you can take your known altitudes (say home, work, and some other place), and set the watch to that, so that barometric pressure becomes accurate.

I'm happy with this purchase. It does what I expect.

3.0 out of 5 stars Band falls apart, April 12, 2008
I echo some of the other comments that noted problems with the wristband on this watch. On this watch and others like some of the Nike Triax, the watch has a rubber/plastic piece that runs around the perimeter of the watch and connects with the band. On mine, the point of connection between the watch and band deteriorated after 1-2 years. I understand it can't be fixed. So the watch is useless. Up until this, it had worked pretty well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch for a pilot/adventurer, January 18, 2008
Joshua Coleman (Paris, TN United States) - See all my reviews
As a private pilot this watch's altimeter comes in very handy. The altimeter is very accurate if set to the local barometric pressure. The altitude gain/lost can be recorded and stored in a log format. The compass is also accurate if calibrated properly. The watch feels good on the writst and is not very cumbersome like other multi-function watches. This watch offers the same feature of much more expensive altitude watches.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice features, looks nice, falls apart, March 23, 2008
Adam F. Jewell (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I do a lot of skiing, biking & outdoor activities and this looked like the perfect watch to have. It is. The watch has lots of great features for tracking vertical feet skied, checking the altitude and things like that. Unfortunately the plastic piece around the face of the watch near the band peels off the face of the watch. This was after about a year of wearing it when skiing and biking as well as daily use. While this doesn't make it unusable, you just don't expect a relatively high end watch to fall apart.

Despite the nice menu of features and otherwise quality construction, if you want a watch that has great features, looks nice and does not come apart you should look elsewhere.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›