5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Storytelling!
Published on November 3, 2012 by Baazumi

2.0 out of 5 stars Very slow start, OK ending
I found this book to be a frustrating reading particularly because of how long it takes for the leading lady of the book, Fiona, to budge in her hatred of he husband, Myles. It isn't until more than halfway through the book that she even tries to meet Myles halfway in trying to at least make their marriage bearable.

Her initial blinding hatred of Myles,...
Published on January 5, 2013 by BuffyFanGirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Storytelling!, November 3, 2012
Baazumi (New York City, NY) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a long time fan of Julie Garwood's Scottish Historical novels, especially "Ransom" and "The Prize", and find little else in that genre that's well written enough to be enjoyable to read. I received my Vine copy of Highland Surrender last week and loved it. It always takes me a few chapters to get into the flow of the story and the authors voice but when I did I was slowly but surely hooked. The story is the age old tale of feuds between the Scottish clans but with a refreshing new style, cleaner, more straightforward, and interesting. The story revolves around the romance of Myles and Fiona, their characters are well defined with depth and interest as well as great secondary characters, and the whole story rings true. I would love a follow up book about the very interesting Vivienne. The chapters are short and story moves along well. The writing style, as I previously said, is clear and straightforward and doesn't burden its reader with endless and mindless subjective ramblings as most Highland romance novels do. One reviewer mentioned that this book was similar to the style of Hanna Howell's, which I respectfully disagree. While it's a no brainer than few can write as well as Julie Garwood once did with her Scottish Historical's, this author's skill at story telling is superior to Hanna Howell's. A delightfully entertaining story and I hope Brogan can write her next one quickly as I'm a fan!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very slow start, OK ending, January 5, 2013

Her initial blinding hatred of Myles, despite the fact that he was being extremely nice to her, bothered me so much. Because of that, the majority of the story, I wasn't even sure I liked Fiona and we're suppose to be rooting for these two to get together.

And in terms of Myles, who I did like quite a bit, it annoyed me that at the same time that Fiona is behaving horribly towards him that Myles is constantly being turned on by her because she's beautiful.

In the end, I enjoyed the ending and all the twists that were involved a lot, but for me they had come a bit to late. By then, all that I didn't like about this book outweighed what I did like.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has it all!, November 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It has intrigue, sibling rivalry and betrayal, love, and romance (complete with detailed love scenes). The storyline was gripping. I could feel the pain that the young and lovely Fiona Sinclair must have felt when her brothers forced her to marry Myles Campbell, the son of a bitter rival (whose father was thought to have murdered her mother). Naturally, she assumed that Myles would surely be the brute she thought his father to be. I was gripped by the back and forth emotions she felt, as her experiences after marrying Myles would seem to indicate that she didn't have the entire story.

The author, Tracy Brogan, weaves an intoxicating story, and I could feel the emotions of the various characters through Ms. Brogan's words. The storyline was intense, and I found myself staying up late into the night to learn what would happen next. And the romance! Oh my, it's been forever and a day since I've read of intimacy that stirred the loins as Ms. Brogan's words do in this story. It made this older woman feel young again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, November 1, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not a big romance reader but I really enjoyed this one. I can't say there's really anything new or groundbreaking in terms of either plot or steamy scenes, but it's a really sweet story anyway.

Fiona is forced into marriage by her brothers seeking to gain a truce with an enemy clan. After some time and some really affectionate scenes from her husband she warms her heart to him. There were plot parts which were predictable and a few that totally caught me off guard (that's rare). I found the book really hard to put down and even found myself wanting to re-read a few scenes because they were either very touching or quite interesting.

If you're a fan of Highland fiction you will want to include this in your collection. I do wish there had been more detail making it feel like more of a historical story. Parts of it almost felt modern or even like a manor England setting. I don't know how to accurately describe what made me feel that way, but it seemed to be less about Scottish clans and more about a Lord and Lady...if that makes sense to anyone.

I enjoyed it enough to look for more from the author, so that's a pretty high commendation from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHEN YOU NEED TO ESCAPE FOR A WHILE, READ HIGHLAND SURRENDER, February 6, 2013
Author, M.J. Schiller (Central Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highland Surrender (Paperback)
I've read a few historical romances before, and enjoyed them, but for the most part I usually stick with contemporary. And the Scottish Highlands? They just didn't have much of a pull for me. (Although I recently was voting in a cover contest and was surprised by how many kilt-clad heroes were gracing the covers!)

I wasn't even sure about the general premise. A couple, betrothed as children, from warring clans, married to form a truce. That kind of thing has been done to death, right? Yeah, and I was all smug thinking I had the story all figured out in the first chapter. WRONG! This book has more twists and turns than San Francisco's Lombard Street! Stakes were high and the intrigue truly gripping.

Tracy Brogan is the kind of writer who makes you feel like you are right there, smelling the lamb stew, feeling the broad side of the training sword, and getting ashes in your eyes from the torches. She adds little details seamlessly. I never felt there was too much description or too little. I can't imagine the kind of research it takes to make that happen. Her dialogue is fabulous, especially the repertoire between Myles (our hero) and Fiona (the beautiful heroine), but also with Myles and his brother, Robert, and the scandalous Vivienne (loved her!) and Fiona. Come to think of it, the King was great, the priest was great...pretty much anyone who opened their mouth in the book was captivating and authentic.

The sex scenes were very steamy, every action and reaction genuine and scintillating. In short, folks, this book was fabulous! I can't say enough about it. So go out and read it already!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed After All, December 27, 2012
I'm wary of arranged marriage plots. Sometimes they're done wonderfully and sometimes they're done not-so-wonderfully. I like Tracy Brogan enough so the fact that she was an author I'd read before, coupled with the mostly positive reviews I'd read, caused me to push away my doubts and go ahead and buy it anyway.

I regret it. Like others, I'm the sort of person who is compelled to finish a book, no matter what. I literally couldn't finish this one. I've never been so bored in my life. I drudged through half of the book in three days, a positively snail-like pace for me, since I can normally read a book this size in about five hours. I just put the book down and I literally cannot tell you who the hero's name was. I think it started with an M... maybe. I remember the heroine's name was Fiona, but that's only because she was such a shrew and so opposite in temperament to the hero, who said that he wouldn't take anymore of her shenanigans and then completely crumples underneath her harrowed visage at every turn when she does something stupid and he has to rescue her. He feels guilty for something that usually is never his fault and I couldn't read long enough to get past their antagonism towards each other in order to find if I'd like their relationship together when they do like each other. I haven't read a couple so unable to coexist together in years and that says something for me, considering how many books I read in a year.

This is one story I wish I hadn't picked up and I'm sorry to say Tracy Brogan will not be going on my automatic buy list. I'll be returning this for my money back. It's not worth the 4 dollars I spent.

3.0 out of 5 stars For me it's a 3.5, November 3, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Quick plot overview. We open on Fiona Sinclair's wedding day. She has been betrothed to her most hated rival since birth, Myles Campbell. Their clan's have fought over the current King and the rivalry grew worse since the day of Fiona's mothers death. Fiona believes that Myles father murdered her mother.

I'm sixty percent into this book and Fiona has yet to even show a slight defrosting towards her husband. He has been nothing but patient and kind. Her insolence is grating on my nerves. **(This might be a small spoiler but)** We're spending more time watching Myles hang over his ill father and Fiona hanging within her room. No wonder we're not seeing a bridge. All the while we know some nefarious plot is being set by Fiona's brothers. Yet even that plot is slow going as well with nothing more than a few pages lighting to it.

I'm hoping this book starts to pick up because I prefer to have more than nothing before I get halfway through. With 120 pages left finally the magic starts to happen. It took way too long to get to and wasn't nearly as worth it as I'd hoped.

I did enjoy what I read but I was frustrated in how long it took. I loved the plot twists and the ah ha moments. I'm still not 100% sure I liked Fiona. I'm also wondering if there will be more stories from these clans. I feel that that could be a possibility and one I'd probably look into to see how it would play out.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5/5 stars, May 28, 2014
I purchased this book on a whim--have been in the mood for a historical romance, and coincidentally came across Highland Surrender, searching through Amazon's historical romance section. It's one of my guilty pleasures. :)

The plot was exactly what I was searching for, two families and a history between them. It's more interesting when there is a feud between the two and then they learn that the other is not so bad. Okay, you are probably cursing my name right now, because that sentence alone gave the whole story away, but for those historical romance lovers, you should already know that most romance novels do so. There is no big secret there, it's predictable in that sense, but the whole journey to that point is what makes it fun and enjoyable! And, did I have a great time!

The characters were full of dept--our female lead, Fiona, feisty, stubborn, yet sensitive--our male lead, Myles, strong, also stubborn, and has every charm to him. The supporting characters did not lag behind,--each one holding their own, Robert, Myles' Aunt, James, and the list goes on. You just know Tracy Brogan put in thought to her supporting characters, and that's what I loved most about this book. Oh! And, most importantly, there were no dull moments. I will be keeping track of Tracy Brogan's works and I cannot wait to try her other books.

If you love a witty female protagonist and the highland-type reads, check out Tracy Brogan and let yourself dive into one of her books, you'll get lost in the time period, and will not regret it.

I rate this book a 4.5 out of 5. Plenty of saucy love and plot twists that will put yo on edge. (In a good way of course!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Highland Surrender, July 7, 2013
This book needs a lot of work, the idea behind it has merit but the writing does not back it up. It's supposed to be a story about a feuding family from the Highlands being brought together by a marriage but other than saying liard of the clan you couldn't tell this book was supposed took place in Scotland. There are a lot of historical descriptions of clothing, and every day life that are missing as well. It took me awhile to get through it because it was boring and did not capture my attention. I'm glad it was free from the lending library otherwise I would have been upset to have spent money. Brogan should try a novel set in England next time, because she lacked the dialogue and descriptions to make this feel like it was taking place in the Highlands but she also needs to work on time appropriate dialogue for her characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid 5 stars, October 6, 2014
WOW. I LOVED IT.

I believe this is my first exposure to Tracy Brogan's books, and I'm a new fan! I so enjoyed the journey of Fiona's and Myles's romance from page one through the glorious conclusion. The book is long enough to see the romance develop naturally, despite obstacles, prejudices, life-long beliefs, tragedy, and mystery. I adored Myles, his strength of character, his integrity, and his determination to make the best of a situation not of his choosing. Granted, he came from a family who gave him excellent examples of (usually) happy marriages, so he knew what he wanted when it came to his arranged (by the king of Scotland) marriage to Fiona Sinclair...who has determined that ALL Campbells, including her new husband...are her sworn enemy. The motivation worked...I could believe Fiona's prejudices, given her life experience and the "truth" as far as she knew it.

Tracy Brogan is a gifted writer with a keen understanding of pacing...this story never lagged. Even when not much was happening, the story was moving forward in such a way that I enjoyed it, scene after scene, and before many pages had passed, I could see *why* the supposedly "not much happening." It all made sense. Every promise made early and mid-book was brought about with a satisfying conclusion and explanation.

We had the pleasure of seeing Fiona and Myles Campbell pitted against intense villains, and through their wit, strength, determination, will, cunning, and growing love for one another, triumph over evil.

Highly recommended to fans of historical romance, particularly those of us who love Scottish Highlander romances.
Sensuality Level: Spicy!
Language: far from crass, but not for the faint-hearted

Highland Surrender
Highland Surrender by Tracy Brogan (Paperback - December 4, 2012)
$12.95 $7.96