5.0 out of 5 stars There can be only one restore!
I just watched this on my old Laser Disc from the early 1990s this weekend. Tonight I watched the Blu-Ray Director's Cut 2010 version!

Generally I hate director's cuts. I want the theatrical version, and I want the director to stick a fork in it and call it done. But this is the exception.

Technically, they did a GREAT JOB lifting this copy from...
Published on November 4, 2010 by Walter Blackledge

Hi folks,

I admit it...I love this movie...I saw this at my local shop (dvd planet) and couldn't resist... Directors Cut..6 more minutes! I got a sick feelingn when I put it in my player and the SAME menu as the previous edition came up... Turns out to be the same as previously released with a new cover. If you have the previous release...do NOT buy this...
Published on January 9, 2009 by Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars There can be only one restore!, November 4, 2010
This review is from: Highlander: Director's Cut [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

Technically, they did a GREAT JOB lifting this copy from the master.

How can you tell? Because you can tell its stunt doubles and not Lambert or Connery fighting on the cliffs in the Scottish Highlands! The resolution is that good.

Its much brighter than the other versions as well. Two full F-Stops brighter would be my guess.

Also, we Americans finally get a few important deleted scenes that I saw many years ago while in Europe that help tie the story together. For those who haven't seen it, lets just say the phrase "Hey, it's a kind of magic" will now make sense. You also will no longer need say "So how did the Kurgan know Brenda was his girl friend and just show up at her door step?"

They did a great job on the sound too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highlander on Blu-Ray is phenomenal., May 12, 2010
I bought this Blu-Ray Disc with much apprehension as I was very disappointed with the Special Edition DVD. I am glad to say that the Blu-Ray did not disappoint in the least. The colors are all rich and vibrant. The scenes are very clear for the most part, every so often a scene is a little "grainy" but not enought to affect the pure enjoyment of watching this classic movie that is finally on Blu-Ray. It actually felt like I was watching this movie for the first time, a big accomplishment as I have watched Highlander many, many times. The sound quality is also excellent. This Disc plays fine in my Blu-Ray player in America.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I Am Connor MacLeod From The Clan MacLeod" ~ "Who Wants To Live Forever", July 18, 2006
This review is from: Highlander (DVD)
'Highlander' released to the theaters in '86 was an instant cult classic. And why wouldn't it be, clashing swords, severed heads, a secret society of Immortals living secretly amongst us battling to the death through the centuries in hopes of being the last Immortal standing. It doesn't get any better than that. As the sacred prophecy predicted, "In the end there can be only one". Add to the mix a killer soundtrack written and performed by Queen and you've got yourself a franchise.

Christopher Lambert plays Connor MacLeod, the Highlander in the role that made him famous and unfortunately typecast him for all time. Be that as it may, this is his signature role and he is perfect in the part. Sean Connery is also wonderful as his best friend, mentor and fellow Immortal Juan Sanchez Villalobos Ramirez.

A lot of previous reviewers have already voiced their concerns about the quality of the DVD transfer. To be honest, whatever technical problems may exist with the sound quality and picture resolution, they haven't been noticable enough to me to lessen my enjoyment of this classic action/adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's a kind of magic", February 16, 2002
Andrew "andyp1986" (East Amherst, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highlander (DVD)
This movie is a real gem. I don't really understand why critics were so hard on it, much less do I understand why a few people here are insulting the movie itself (I know the DVD transfer was bad, so I relate to those people) or why the movie was so cheap, then again, the quality of the transfer of this movie would explain it. But this movie is excellent in all aspects. It's unique, and it unfortunately has had its glory destroyed by lousy sequels and TERRIBLE TV shows.
In terms of the acting, contrary to what other people claim here, Christopher Lambert's performance is first rate, and I think it a shame that he has subsequently appeared mostly in bad 1 1/2 star flicks and hasn't since had a real breakthrough in movies. Sean Connery adds real style to the movie with his acting, but it's a shame that he's in there for such a short time. Clancy Brown is as sinister as ever as Kurgan.
The visuals and effects are great by any standard and the swordfighting scenes are excellent
And WHO could possibly diss the rocking musical score by Queen? With such a strong opening theme ("Princes of the Universe") a truly emotional ballad ("Who Wants to Live Forever") and their smash hit single ("A Kind of Magic") just to name a few, you can't go wrong. If you learned about this movie just by being a Queen fan, and first watched the movie out of interest in their score (my situation), you're in for a real treat.
To fans of this movie who were disappointed by the latest transfer, My only suggestion is to wait a while for the Highlander Immortal Edition which will be released April 16, 2002. It promises better sound and picture quality, the uncensored Director's Cut, Commentary, and plenty of Queen material including music videos to their songs from this movie which are musical and visual masterpieces (I've seen them). Plus it's in anamorphic widescreen format, and anamorphic seems like a good way to go especially for a movie like this.
In any case, this movie is a winner and magic in it's strongest form. There can be only one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch It. Love It., December 14, 2004
This review is from: Highlander (DVD)
Forget the series, and please, please, forget the stupid sequels. This is the only Highlander that matters because anything that came after it was just plain idiotic.

Christopher Lambert is an Immortal. Unless you lop off his head, he will live on forever and ever. This doesn't necessarily go over well in his 16th century Scottish village, but that is the least of his problems. We get the background in a series of flashbacks from the 20th century MacLeod, and to me, the past was always more interesting than the present. Not that the present is not interesting either. In fact, the movie as a whole, is mesmerizing.

There can only be one, and Kurgan, a rather nasty Immortal, is out to find our Highlander and do him like he did MacLeod's mentor (Sean Connery), which is basically lop off his head and drain him of his power. Mind you, MacLeod is out to do the same to Kurgan because there can be only one!

This is a rather simplistic overview of the plot, but to sit here and explain it in detail would be confusing to both the reader and the author of this review. There is simply too much to tell and explain, and what is the fun in that? This is a magical movie, and you just don't give away the good stuff. This is the type of movie that you just sit down, watch, and lose yourself in.

The 20th century love interest is the weakest part in this movie. Brenda (Roxanne Hart), is hardly compelling, a bit on the annoying side, and her look was dated even in 1986. She can't act to save her life. But it doesn't matter, because this fantasy-adventure has everything that Hollywood lacked at the time, and everyone else did an outstanding job, giving this movie the cult classic status it deserves. Christopher Lambert never did anything that mattered again as far as I am concerned.

The soundtrack, by Queen, is phenomenal, and though a soundtrack does not make a movie, unless it's "The Wall" or "Tommy", it is worth mentioning because it is truly beautiful.

1.0 out of 5 stars same disc as before...NEW cover art only ....stick with what you have!, January 9, 2009
This review is from: Highlander (Director's Cut) (DVD)
Hi folks,

lets hope a Blu Ray edition with some real bonus features will happen eventually. My 1 star rating is for this hopeless retread in packaging NOT the excellent movie!

2.0 out of 5 stars My favorite film -- butchered on DVD, February 17, 2000
What an absolute atrocity. The picture quality on this DVD is the worst I have *EVER* seen. I'm fortunate to have the same edition on laserdisc, in addition to the original US release on laserdisc, and the quality in both cases is far superior. You'll think something is wrong with your DVD player if you buy this version. If you can't find the LD, go for VHS.
Now, that having been said, the MOVIE is my all-time fave. Love the idea, love the cinematography, and love the performances of all the actors, especially Connery. It's true that the original US cut makes somewhat less sense than the Director's Cut, but that's a two-edged sword. The flow of the original US cut was better, while the Director's cut drags a bit in places. Also, the US cut, while "confusing" is also mysterious in a way that made it fun to watch again and again, because you had to figure out little details that are simply explained in the Director's cut.
Overall, it's a pity this DVD is such a hack job. If it's ever remastered (which it should be), then they should do the same thing they've done with some other DVD titles -- allow you to select whether you want the US release or the Director's Cut. Also, think ANAMORPHIC!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst DVD, ever!, December 10, 2000
Benjamin S. Munson (Madison, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This disc has one of my favorite 'guilty pleasure' movies on it - unfortunately, the quality is worse than my VHS copy. The video is poorly compressed, the sound is so variable that no sound designer could ever have dreamed of such an atrocity, and the overall quality of the presentation is lacking at best. This is a hack job. Folks, there is a reason this disc sells for 10 bucks - and it's not because it's *that* bad of a movie. The only worse disc I've ever seen is "Metropolis" - and at least that movie was 70 years old. Avoid this disc; go w/VHS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original and fascinating in its time, March 11, 2005
This review is from: Highlander (DVD)
In a word, this movie was original. Various aspects of immortality have been explored for years, mostly as vampire legend stories. When this movie premiered we were gifted with beautiful scenery and cinematography. Christopher Lambert's acting is well above typical for action/adventure/fantasy movies.

The story was engaging, directing was also progressive, in that the movie shifts time periods and flashes back to earlier memories for the main character, something that was less common when this film was made than now. Dialogue is generally good, though MacLeod's first wife is a bit of a boor in a small part. Sean Connery delivers quite a fun and memorable performance in a quite lively character. I think he didn't want to return for endless sequels, but it appears that he had fun making the film.

The premise of the movie is simple: there are individuals who are immortal, can sense each other when nearby, and for some reason they must meet and fight to the death (only accomplished via beheading) until there is only one left alive. The movie tagline cashes in on this: "There can be only one!" Indeed we are not privy to the reason for this and it is never explained in this film. The swordplay is however, very well choreographed and is not gory. The effects are simple but pretty good for 1986.

Lambert was involved in the creative side and later production as well. Unfortunately the studios weren't very supportive. They had set out to make this movie and the sequel to complete the story at the same time. Budget issues and studio bosses reared their ugly heads and things were cut and the production in trouble in order to complete the second movie, which turned out to be a big disappointment when released. This film, however, didn't get attacked by the budget machine, except for the editing genius who decided the movie was too long and the audience wouldn't sit still, so the studio cut the movie more than Lambert would have preferred. This DVD restores the film to its original desired length and the transfer is very good. Even without liking this genre, you might well enjoy this story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money...Buy the VHS, March 26, 2000
Okay, I goofed by not reading the reviews here before I bought this title. Please, don't make the same mistake I did. All of the glowing praise for this film is for the VHS version, if you noticed.
The DVD transfer is, in a word, terrible. Whatever film stock was used for the low-light shots (which is most of the film) was pretty grainy, and the DVD just accentuates that to an ALARMING degree. Add to that the pixelation artifacts, and the way certain backgrounds in shots don't move or change their appearance AT ALL with foreground movement, giving scenes a plastic, cartoonish look. This is a cheap way to cut down on the DVD's data size, but it shows. I've seen indie films shot on 16mm that looked better on a VHS dub than this. Maybe they were shorthanded at the mastering lab that week and let an intern get a "big break", I don't know. The THX certification is definitely NOT deserved, as the mix on the sound is equally bad, with FX stomping on dialog in key places.
Having said that, if you are bound and determined to buy this, Russel Mulcahy's strong grasp of the visual at least doesn't disappoint. Some of the best match dissolves and scene transitions to be found anywhere. The DVD should be shown to aspiring film students:What TO DO with a camera, What NOT TO DO in the mastering lab.

Highlander: Director's Cut [Blu-ray]
Highlander: Director's Cut [Blu-ray] by Russell Mulcahy (Blu-ray - 2010)
$14.99 $11.99