Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Highlander for the Holidays (Jove Book)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on October 26, 2011
I have just finished this book and I am not disappointed. At the very begging I must say I am a fan of Ms Chapman a was waiting for this one to come out. Highlander series to which this book belong is my favourite. Highlander for Holidays being eight to be published so far.

In this book you will find magic, litteraly. Not only is Chapman capable to translate magic into people but also into the nature and animals. You wish to be there to relive it. Her books are lovable and you can't just put it down. This one in particular being one my favourites so far. Heroes in this book - Ian and Jessie (maybe also Toby and Roger a little) are characters you have to fall in love with. Ian is a true highlander and Jessie is just the right women for him to help him accept his faith. Along the way she manages to capture his heart as well. New recurring character of Roger de Keage is very likeable and I wish to read more about him in the next book to come.

I would definitely recommend this one for those who read the Highlander series but it can also be read separately. I believe you will love it anyway. Its the right combination of romance, little bit of mystery and most of all - the magic.

Love S.
on January 3, 2012
Janet Chapman is a wonderful writer. I have never been disappointed in any of her books. From historicals to modern day settings, she has you feeling the wind in your hair, the smell of the outdoors tickeling your nose and your heart melting at the romance. I would recommend all her books to romance readers everywhere, but espiecially Highlander for the Holidays. This book raised my spirits and my hopes for the holidays. Wishes do come true. Patience is the key!
on January 5, 2012
Let me just begin by saying, there's nothing like starting a series with the very last book! Yep, you heard that right. It's number 8 in the Highlander Series. I gather from a quick browse on Barnes and Noble that our hero is actually a son of one of the couples in the first books of the series. So if you're familiar with the series you won't find any comparisons from prior novels in this review. Nope. Instead I'm gonna break down why reading the last book in a series made me hungry to go back to the beginning...

...Because you know I already have Charming the Highlander on my Nook. Yep, I'm good like that.

Without Further Ado...The reasons why I'm starting this series...

Complex Females. Jessie was messy. Not only was she recovering from a failed marriage and devastating loss of a child. She lost both the unborn child and (soon to be ex) husband when an unknown assailant attacked them in their home. Leaving Jessie riddled with traumatic flashbacks, disfiguring scars, and leg issues.

Now, before you go thinking "This is too much for me" or "I don't like my romance heroines so tragic" Know that such events only lead to Jessie's character seeming more spunky, funny, down-to-earth, and vulnerable. She seemed real. And this accessibility was because of her soap-opera like past rather than in-spite of it.

The Dog. Loved the dog in this book. Toby was as much of a main character in this book as his human counterparts. I don't know if it was Ian's innate connection with animals...or all of the various expressions Chapman gave Toby. But when Jessie starts talking to her dog like a person and he begins to respond (doggie style, no talking animals up in here)...You won't think it's weird at all. Mind you he doesn't speak, but as a service dog trained to protect and comfort his owner a correctly placed tail wag can speak volumes. Bringing him into the story not only added a `cute' factor but depth as well.

Hot Scottish Men. Let's just repeat that statement. Hot, Scottish, Men. When you hit the scene where half the clan is splashing around a pool...the first time in a very long time I wished I could hop into the book. All those abs...

The premise of this series is that warriors from 18th century (or so) Scotland are tossed forward in time to find the women they are to love. Granted Ian isn't an original clansman...instead a first generation child. The clan mentality with all its protective instincts and hearty family ethics are very much present in the tale. It's like reading a historical romance with modern amenities. Very, very fun.

My only caveat with this tale was that we didn't delve into Ian's issues (war, being the prodigal son) as much as I'd have liked. I'm not sure if there was more prepping in earlier books(?) but reading this as a standalone I felt as though I was constantly being reminded of Ian's issues without really seeing evidence of them.

Magic. So color me shocked when real magic began to happen in this book. Lead by Roger (the original Laird of the clan) the paranormal aspects were slowly seeped into the novel. Again, I think because I was so late to the game with this series I was really able to appreciate how well Jessie was integrated into the magical elements. I was new to them too and felt fully prepared when the big magic hit. I loved that. So many times in a series the reader was fully inundated into the world so you miss how choppy or quickly new characters are hit with the world. So I was so happy to see how smooth it all was. And how much I loved the character of Roger. You gotta read this to see him...I enjoyed him so much!

In the end this wasn't the most "Christmas-y" of reads. True, it happened over the holiday. But could easily be read as a juicy winter read. Don't be put off from the title simply because you didn't have time this season...Or if you're new like me, use the year to catch up and enjoy Jessie, Ian, and Toby next year. If you can wait that long!
on November 17, 2011
Janet Chapman is one of my favorite authors because of the quality of her writing. Unfortunately this book was not up to her usual standards.
The characters of the h/h were not nearly as developed as should be,nor could you feel the magic between them. Ian couldn't seem to have a real smile that reached his eyes, and his identity with the magic was undefined. Jessie was likeable, but that's about it, and her closest friend was irritating.
Looking at this you think I would have rated this book a 1, but being familiar with the series, just being back in Pine Creek and seeing the familiar characters pulled it up to a 3. Hopefully this was just a fluke and the next will be as good as the previous novels in the series.
on November 1, 2011
I guess I disagree with the other reviews. Compared to her other books, I thought this one was lacking in depth and development. What I mean about the story missing the magic is that it seemed too contrived and haphazard. In addition to the romance, there is a theme of magic, which is consistent with the previous books, but in this book, there's no explanation and no real purpose to the magic, other than helping Jessica deal with her history. The "Magic" aspect just sort of keeps appearing in the story without any real explanation (especially for Ian). The romance is ok - but not particularly exciting or moving. Overall, I was disappointed in this book. I didn't think it was the same quality as the other Janet Chapman's books.

P.S. I originally posted this review accidentally on a different title - sorry for any confusion!
on June 23, 2013
Janet Chapman is a brilliant writer from beginnning to end you are wrapped up in the story. If you get your hands on any of Janet Chapman books you wont be dissapointed, she knows how to weave her magic around a story.

Janet Chapman knows how to write a story, there are moments fill with laughter and joy and there are moments when you want to cry, lets just say that after reading one of her books you want to read everything she writen, therefore I suggest fot a start you read all of the Pine Creek Highlander series first, then the Midnight Bay series and then read the Spellbound Falls series. You wont be dissapointed I loved every book and I would read them again, there isn't a bad book in the bunch.
on December 26, 2014
another awesome book in the 8 book series... I would suggest to any and all to read from the Highlander series 9 books and follow into the spellbound falls series 8 books ..AWESOME books to cozy up with can't put em down once ya start
on April 28, 2012
Janet Chapman makes your heart flutter with her characters and their stories. I have extreme trouble putting her books down once I start reading the story. "Highlander for the Holidays" is another great story in her series of Highlander books. I can't wait to read the next one.
on December 20, 2013
This is a magical Christmas story with excellent characters and the perfect setting for a Christmas story. The background of the heroine seeking to recover from an attack and showing how she seeks to put fourth strength in putting the incident behind her makes for a strong story. I read this story and loved it and now I intend to go back and read all Janet Chapman's Highlander stories.
on February 9, 2014
I always love the drama unlike other authors who try to create the drama without a story just using the back and forth between love interest.. Chapman creates a full bodied story with extra people and extended plot.
You will read this again and again!