4.0 out of 5 stars Four Voices Singing Sad Tales
Published on March 14, 2003 by The Don Wood Files

3.0 out of 5 stars 80's Country!
From electronic drums to synthesizers this album has it all! The title track alone is worth buying this album. It is nice to hear my favorite country classics on one album. I am glad country made it through the 80's, the cheese is thick on this one.
Published 4 months ago by Carl

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Voices Singing Sad Tales, March 14, 2003
The Don Wood Files (Fredericksburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
This is my one and only country music CD, and it is not "feel good" music. The Highwaymen sing, in their four distinctive voices, of a vanishing, sad West - where the cowboys are gone, the migrants are deported, and good friends die. The most upbeat song, if you can call it that, is the first - Highwayman - a tale of living for eternity. But who says music must be a happy narcotic? These tales of gloom and doom perfectly capture the howling emptiness of the Western U.S. It is best listened to when you are in a contemplative mood, when you are driving across those empty, blast-furnace spaces of the desert Southwest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic men and a classic grouping., March 17, 2000
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
I generally try not to dis other reviewers, but sometimes (like now), there must be an exception. Let me just so so far as to say that I agree with those other normal folks who have reviewed this album (not the so-called critic).
He must have had a BAD day in order to hear only "precious little entertainment" from these guys. No purpose? I guess bringing together a couple of legends of the genre is not enough for him. Too damned bad.
These guys were great together in concert. The album works well, too. They obviously share much in common (maybe too much of it as wee might infer from the whimsical "Committed to Parkview"). The title cut, "Against the Wind", and "Desperados Waiting" are such good stuff. The intermingling of three very distinctive voices (sorry, but to my mind, Kris just is not quite in the same tax bracket) works very well throughout this album.
Good guys having a good time, making good music. Just what the Dcotor ordered, but not the critic. His loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars TThe Giants Unite, May 21, 2000
Brent Evans (Rockhampton, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
Like most of the reviewers below me,I can't believe what our "esteemed" critic had to say. The reason the four voices don't gel easily is because they as among the four most distinctive voices in the history of country music. HIGHWAYMAN are four country legends getting together to jam on cover songs(DESPERADOS WAITING FOR A TRAIN,AGAINST THE WIND,THE LAST COWBOY SONG) some of their own (BIG RIVER and COMMITTED TO PARKVIEW{where our lovable critic probably resides}).This album has meaning;makes you laugh,,cry,feel mad.The title song could give Shirely Maclaine a run for her money in the past lives department.I don't have many country CD's in my collection,but THE HIGWAYMAN is at the head of the pack.It is often copied,but will never be bettered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old-school country at its best....., March 13, 2005
irnmtn25 (Colonial Heights, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
I have always liked the Highwaymen. I remember buying the 45 single of the title track when I was 10! What a great song...and it's the best one on this CD. All of the tracks make you think of the Wild West, and the first track is especially adept at doing that. Waylon, Willie, Kris, and Johnny have four unique and distinctive voices that shine well when put together as a supergroup. The Highwaymen were a great creation, and it is good to see that their albums are continuing to transcend the test of time. This is old-school country at its wildest and its best!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Country Dream Team, September 7, 2001
Avalon Don "Avalon Don" (Huntington Beach, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
When I think of cowboy music three things come to mind: "The Good,The Bad and The Ugly", "The Red Headed Stranger" and "The Highwaymen". I saw these outlaws in concert twice in the 80's and both times were heck of a shows. Hearing them on album, it's interesting how four country stars can sing together without getting from the listeners point of view the feeling, is it Johnny's turn? Willie? Another words, as singers you know they're individuals, but it's an album. The songwriting seems to emphasize that they're modern day cowboys maybe briefly escaping in some kind of dream or possibly living in a country town that lacks cable, where life is more simple and you can still ride a horse. Whatever it is, the songs are outstanding with good album continuity. Maybe some other music stars working together have equaled "The Highwaymen", but none have exceeded them. If I had one nit-pick complaint, it's the cd mix which lacks a midrange. The vocals are all there, but the music especially on the opening title track, seems so distant.

5.0 out of 5 stars First of three great albums, February 16, 2005
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
Waylon Jennings had already recorded one duet album with Johnny Cash and two with Willie Nelson, quite apart from various duets on other albums, so the teaming up of all three for this album was not a surprise, nor was the addition of Kris Kristofferson, since the other three had each recorded several of his songs. On this album (and the other two they later did), they mostly take turns at singing. If you're looking for harmony singing, you won't find much here.

As the title might suggest, the songs generally reflect on independent, free spirited people. They are mostly covers, drawn from a diverse selection of songwriters including Bob Seger (Against the wind), Woody Guthrie (Deportee), Steve Goodman and John Prine (The twentieth century is almost over), Paul Kennerley (Welfare line), Guy Clark (Desperadoes waiting for a train), Jimmy Webb (Highwaymen), Ed Bruce (Last cowboy song) and Cindy Walker (Jim I wore a tie today). There are also a couple of Johnny Cash oldies - Big river and Committed to Parkview.

Fans of any of the four singers need no prompting from me to buy this brilliant album, although UK buyers should note that it has been re-issued in Britain as part of a twofer with Highwaymen 2 titled Highwaymen collection, using the cover design of the American compilation, Super hits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong Entry from Aging Mythic Cowboys, May 23, 2006
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
I really like this cd, because you can hear the weariness, the wariness, in Waylon, Kris, Willie, and Johnny's voices, aging like fine wine or whiskey. The song selection is especially strong -- "The Last Cowboy Song," with their harmonies melding perfectly, captures the mythic tone they set out to accomplish, and did. "Desperados Waiting for a Train" continues the theme, and "Jim I Wore A Tie Today" propels the message further, with love, loss, and death a constant theme throughout.

Given the whipped-up furor over immigrants in the news today, the standout track for me is the beautiful and touching version of Woody Guthrie's "Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)" Willie's voice on the chorus, backed by Johnny Rodriguez singing in Spanish, this is easily one of the best versions of this song I've heard.

Sure, the production is mid-80s, with some synthetic drums and keyboard washes I could do without, but in all this is a very strong entry for these heroes. Pick this up along with The Road Goes On Forever," and you have bookended their legendary career together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern-Day Classic, January 21, 2007
Suerreal (Amarillo TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
Like the protagonist in the title song, this music is timeless, and not confined by the standard genres and labels.

4 icons of late 20th century American music who did things their way, and who embraced the outlaw mindframe to the benefit of their listeners, got together to create one for the ages.

The Last Cowboy Song is my favorite track. The music is evocative of days gone by, music that you might hear in an old western movie. Another piece of America lost, indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Remove this mistaken review, November 9, 1999
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
I have listened to the Highwaymen many a time and I have become very fond of thier music. I typically listen to Alternative rock, and classic rock...and I have found this foursome to be very entertaining in many aspects. Each song boasts a different perspective from each of the men. The fact that the voices dont "gel" together only enriches the songs. It is clear that the crtic above had already made up his mind about C & W music and did not afford this cd the time it deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Random Act of Philosophy, November 14, 2008
This review is from: Highwaymen (Audio CD)
Country/western is not my favorite genre...but I could NOT escape the haunting folk song I halfway heard on someone else's radio. Some of you undoubtedly know exactly what I mean. I was "hooked". I HAD to find out what it was and who performed it. I suspect at least a few of you can relate to the shock I experienced when I finally discovered who was behind "Highwayman". How could it be that four county/western legends could/would pen and sing what is arguably the most poignant and muscial song about reincarnation in the English language? I guess the Intelligence behind Eternity finds playful and unexpected ways to touch us and teach us.

If serendipity explains the title track, what about the rest of the CD? To quote South Park's Eric Cartman: "Don't know...don't care." For me, alas, the remaining tracks confirm my first sentence. They simply spin on the CD while the laser dances over the data associated with just one song, again and again. "Highwayman". My only regret is that I cannot give "Highwayman" six stars.

Highwayman