Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I CCTV POE 3MP Bullet IP HD Security Network Camera, 4mm
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: DS-2CD2032F-I 4mm|Change

on October 11, 2013
I'm writing this review after purchasing 5 Foscam FI8905W's and sending every one of them back because they were all defective. After going through all these returns the past few months, my main goal was to find a camera that is reliable, high quality and just flat out works. I certainly have found that in this camera.

I picked up 2 of these for my home as well as this POE (Power Over Ethernet - WS-POE-8-48v60w passive Power Over Ethernet POE Injector for 8 IP cameras, VOIP phones or Access Points, 48 volts, 60 watts max) Injector to go along w/ the new cameras. The POE injector will power on the cameras via ethernet (cat5e or cat6) cable so you don't have to plug the camera into a wall outlet (camera doesn't come with a wall plug).

Mounting the camera was a breeze (aside from balancing on a ladder). The mounting bracket itself is a lot higher quality than the Foscam and similar less expensive IP cameras. After mounting the camera you are able to loosen the ring that holds the actual camera in place and aim it accordingly. I'm very confident that the cameras are very sturdy on the house and aren't going anywhere. The camera has an IP66 weatherproof rating which means it's rated as "dust tight" and protected against heavy seas or powerful jets of water. In other words the rain won't hurt it.

As I write this review the cameras have been mounted for 3 days straight and have not reset or shut off at all. I hate to keep comparing to the Foscams but the day after mounting them they were already resetting and having major stability issues. Nothing at all with these and I don't expect any either. They just flat out work the way they should.

Good:
- The picture quality is astonishing. It is 1080P (or 3MP) and crystal clear. I can read license plates on cars and logos on clothes.
- The size - It's very small compared to the Foscam's that I was using. This is a huge plus as they are not huge and ugly on my home.
- IR ring size - This is also smaller than the Foscam ring size. This was important to me because the IR lights illuminate at night.

Bad:
- Nothing really. I guess the night vision could be a little bit better but the noise reduction on the camera really makes up for it.

Installation:
Please keep in mind that the cameras come with a fixed IP address of 192.0.0.64. If you are running the supplied software (SADP) to locate the camera then you may need to disable any firewall running on your computer. If SADP does NOT locate the camera, then make sure you have the latest version of WinPCap installed (you can google it for the free download). An amazing IP Camera forum is IPCamTalk, I learned a lot of information about this camera there so if you would like to do more research, check them out.

I highly recommend this camera and will update this review as time goes on!

** UPDATE 12/2/13 **
It has been 2 months since I originally purchased my first Hikvision 3MP bullet camera so I figured I would post an update. Within the past 2 months I have purchased 8 more of these cameras, 3 which were for me (the rest for friends). So I have had my hands on 10 of these cameras in the past two months and configured each one of them myself. I cannot be happier with this camera from everything from reliability to picture quality, this camera has exceeded my expectations. I am running 4 of these cameras using the Blue Iris software with no issues at all and the cameras literally never go out or have connectivity issues. Another 4 of them are being recorded with a Hikvision NVR that also has been flawless.

Weather Conditions:

When I originally purchased my first camera I did not even consider the fact that I live in the north east (NY) and the temperature ranges anywhere from single digits (Fahrenheit) to triple digits. I installed the first camera in the beginning of October when the temperature was still moderate / comfortable (50+ degrees). Within the past 3 weeks the temperature has dipped as low as 9 degrees Fahrenheit and the cameras did not even blink. They have remained 100% operable through the low temperature and I will continue to update this review as the temperature drops even more. I do believe that the infrared and internal components give off a fair amount of heat (you can feel the heat when you touch the cameras) so that probably helps. I am not concerned about the low temperature affecting the cameras but I will remain conscious of it and keep my eye open.

I will continue to update this review as time goes on.

** UPDATE 6/4/15 **
I have been unable to edit this review for a while due to a bug with Amazon, but apparently it's finally fixed. Here I am over 2.5 years later and I have now installed well over 100 of these cameras (literally) for various people and businesses. I have never had to return any of them, they all have been solid and reliable. These are my cameras of choice and I still highly recommend them. I am still using Blue Iris to record, but I also picked up a Hikvision NVR as backup. The cameras never need to be reset and the weather has not effected them. 5/5 stars still.
5252 comments|327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2015
I've tried quite a few cameras over the years including most of Foscam's offerings, Dlink, Edimax, and various web cams. In terms of picture quality, this camera rocks them all. I'd like to trash all my other cameras and replace them with these, but I've squandered too much on the other cams to do that. This is my first POE camera and so far I'm perfectly happy with the results. If you aren't running these in POE, you'll need to purchase an additional power supply because it does not come with one. Basically you have the option to power the camera at the switch with either a POE switch or purchase an injector (~$20), or at the camera (with a power supply) so that adds to the flexibility. I can't speak for longevity yet as I've only had this camera a week but if this camera holds up, I will certainly be buying more.

Update 6/29/2015 - Cams are still working perfectly. I have four installed now and haven't had an issue with any of them. I bought one from a China vendor and it worked just as well but took two weeks to arrive.
review image review image review image
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2013
While this is a lovely little camera, there are significant problems with the HikVision software which have cost me hours in trying to get it configured to do what it says it can do. Apart from things just not working, there is absolutely no useful feedback from the software about what is wrong! HikVision's web site does not list a technical support number or e-mail address. I called the main number and got transferred to tech support.

The litany of problems I encountered:

1. The installer for the SADP utility found I had a newer version of the WinPCap library and asked if I wanted to keep it. I did, but then SADP couldn't find the camera. I eventually installed the latest WinPCap (4.1.3) and it then worked. The SADP utility apparently reports the "SDK" port rather than the HTTP port.

2. I was unable to reliably set non-default ports. After the device rebooted I couldn't reach it via the new HTTP port. I found I could get to it via the original port (80), but when I attempted to login I would get "Network abnormal" errors. I had to perform a factory reset multiple times and then gave up since I was planning to access the camera via IPv6 anyway and didn't absolutely have to use port forwarding to get to it.

3. After adding the camera's IPv6 address to my Windows hosts file I could connect to the camera, but the Live View kept reporting "Live view failed". I discovered that if I connected to the camera via the raw IPv6 address, the live view worked. So there is a problem with the browser plugin. Bookmarking the URL with the IPv6 address in the browser worked around this problem.

4. I tried to set up FTP to upload snapshots. The same credentials from my PC to the FTP server work fine. Nothing uploaded from the camera. There is no "Test" feature to confirm that the FTP configuration works and nowhere to tell you why it failed (e.g. authentication error, timeout). I even copied/pasted everything to be sure it was correct.

5. I tried to set up e-mail for alerts from the camera. I kept getting "Parameter error" when I tried to save my configuration. I discovered from HikVision support that you cannot have a period in the e-mail addresses! So first.last (at) yourmailserver won't work, but firstlast (at) yourmailserver will! I was able to setup a user without a period in the name and I was able to save the parameters. Still no e-mail received for motion detection with 24 hour arming enabled.

6. I tried to configure storage via NAS. It reports my NFS volume is "offline". Other systems can see the NFS volume just fine. There is no error report to clarify the problem. HikVision support says it is not yet compatible with all NFS, just a couple of NAS products and could not provide any further diagnosis.

7. There is nothing in the camera log at all. HikVision support says you have to have a flash card installed, but there is nothing in the manual about this! Elsewhere I found a reference that you have to have storage configured, but I can't do that because it cannot access my NFS volume!

I've had four calls to support. The first call got dropped after less than a minute (sudden dial tone). The next call recommended I upgrade the camera firmware. They have to give you credentials for an FTP server to get the latest firmware (5.0.2) since it is not accessible via their web site. That didn't fix any of the issues. During the third call I accidentally discovered the work around to the "Live view failed" problem. A few days later, my fourth call revealed the problem with including a period in e-mail addresses, but on all the other issues all I got was "I'm not the programmer, just support" when trying to find out how to diagnose the other problems. Absolutely useless! I will have to resort to a network sniffer to try to diagnose each of these problems.
1010 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2014
I ordered one of these from Alptop it was shipped and fulfilled by Amazon. The item came in a brown box, which in hind site I have come to believe was an Chinese import.

I set up the camera and logged in to the web interface. I had the choice to use English or Chinese. I selected English. So far so good. I was pleased with the camera and it's apparent quality.

After doing some configuration, I read that there was a new firmware and that I should upgrade. I downloaded the firmware from HIKVision.com (the English-USA) site and installed it. After upgrading the firmware, all of the menu's in the camera became Chinese and there was no longer an English option. I contacted HIKVision USA and they were unwilling to help, since they said I had a non-USA copy and they only supported the USA version.

I'm giving the camera two stars, because I really liked the camera, but that is as far as I will go. The reason I won't go higher with my rating is the fact that HIKVision USA is doing a huge disservice to their customers. They may not be able to control the flood of Chinese imports, but they can prevent or warn you that your camera is a import, when downloading or upgrading the firmware, rather than essentially bricking the camera. Their too bad, you should have bought this from an AUTHORIZED reseller attitude at HIKVision USA will not win them any customers or loyalty.

I also plan to write a review on Alptop to reflect the fact that I am not happy with them selling me a Chinese camera without mention of the fact in the listing. There was no contact information for Alptop, since the camera was shipped and fulfilled by Amazon, so I had no way to get in touch with them, leaving me with only one option and that was to return the camera.
on May 10, 2015
FYI, this comes from an "IT Guy", I work with this on a daily basis and I know what I am doing, trust me. This is not a "smart"(dumbed-down) camera, I will call this a professional camera at a consumer quality/price. If you have networking and tech skill you'll have no problems at all with this camera, it has everything you need and probably more for the average user. It has tons of features, it can run stand alone or with any NVR, CMS, BlueIris, etc. I was able to set up motion recording 1080p to a USB pen drive shared via an ASUS router, I get several days of HD videos on a 16GB pen drive. Superior image quality day or night at this price point, very very happy with color accuracy and definition.

All the cheaper cameras have lower quality picture, consider 2.4MP or 3MP at least if you want true HD.

Note that this camera works without fuss, you don't need to setup Internet Explorer in compatibility mode and lower the security settings in order to install the typical ActiveX Control. The interface is clean, runs smoothly and is very well distributed. Although, make sure to run Internet Explorer as Administrator when setting up Local Configuration and NAS/Network settings or they won't save, no need to run as Admin for normal operation and other adjustments.

To capture images to your local computer, first you need to create the "web" folder inside your user folder and then all the corresponding subfolders indicated under Local Configuration on the camera. Then to capture images to your local hard drive you need to run IE as an admin.

If you have an advanced/restricted/business firewall, I had to allow traffic on TCP/UDP ports 8555, 6800 & 6900 for the camera to work on my network, this is not documented anywhere on the manual and it may not be necessary in your case.
review image review image
on November 21, 2013
This is great unit. The camera quality is excellent, and the power over ethernet reduces the amount of cable I needed to run. The built in software (accessable through a web interface) is quite powerful. I particularly like the fact that it will record video only if it detects motion in a defined area. The key for me is that it can record without the need for an NVR or a PC running NVR software. I am able to store the video it takes on my Netgear ReadyNAS network attached storage, which has plenty of room for the data.

There is, however, room for improvement. First, the documentation is not very good. I had to google to find out a step by step NAS setup guide (search terms: hikvision's built-in nvr like capabilities). It also didn't explain some of the features well. For example, it points out that the unit has various levels of motion sensitivity, (0-6) but doesn't say which is more sensitive. I had to figure that one out by trial and error.

Speaking of motion detection: it is a bit of a challenge. There are 7 levels from 0 to 6, with level one working well for daytime but MUCH too sensitive for night. Unfortunately, level 0 is too insensitive for day and night, so I'm a bit stuck. They should consider revamping their motion detection and allow having two levels - one for day and one for night.

Another issue is that I need to actively delete video files on a regular basis because the ReadyNAS fills up. I should be able to define a given amount of storage for the video, with the unit deleting the oldest files to make room for new files when the storage fills up.

Another issue is the difficulty in setting up the FTP. I still haven't got it work (I'd like to store a few snapshots in addition to the video). They really should have a "test" ftp function like my DLink IP camera has - this will send a dummy file at the push of a button which helps immensely when setting up FTP.

As far as the night vision goes, it's really quite good, although I added a 850nm IR illuminator to brighten the scene even more.

Lastly, it's a little bit buggy. When setting it up I got it into a state wherein it wouldn't play back images recorded during the day. I reset and reprogrammed the unit and now it works again. It should be a bit more stable than that.

Keep in mind these are minor complaints/suggestions. If I had to buy the unit again, I'd do it again without question.

UPDATE: I'm still having issues with the playback feature. Sometimes when I move the cursor to a time where it's indicated that a video clip was stored it won't play that clip. It tends to happen more during for day images than night images. I'm not sure why this is - but it is not very encouraging. As a result, I knocked back my review from 4 to 3 stars....

UPDATE 2: It seems that if you setup the video with a 3MP image and "high" or "highest" image quality, there's not enough data transmission bandwidth for the playback feature to work - at least for daytime images which are color (and therefore have ~3x more data than the B/W night images). Once I dialed the image quality back to "medium" I was able to get the playback to work reliably. I'll bump my review back up to 4 stars, but this is an issue that HikVision should really look into.
66 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2015
Hardware & IP setup is simple; picture quality is good. The documentation however, is horrible; unbelievably bad; pure crap; total joke. There is no way to understand what the various options do; for example, when you look up the doc about the motion detection sensitivity option (is higher number more sensitive, or less sensitive), it'll say something like "sets the motion sensitivity"... So you basically have to go through trial and error to understand how the various options work.

Despite the worst possible documentation ever, I had been pretty happy with these cameras so far. Sadly, out of the 4 I bought, one died after 6 months.
Been trying to obtain an RMA number from the hikvision.com site, but none of the links I can find there work. Now I have to wait for them to reply to my email request.... this gives me time to write a review. The web site is basically as good as their documentation.

But the wrost pat is yet to come. I got a response from hivisoin after a couple days, and here is what they said:

<<<<
Thank you, unfortunately warranty for these units are voided if they are purchased from an unauthorized distributor such as Amazon. Please click the link for more information. http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/UnauthorizedDistributors.asp.

We value your business and want to ensure that our products are available for you. If you’d like to purchase our products, please contact one of our distribution partners. You can find a list of our partners here: http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/distributionParter.

Hannah Evangelista

(Direct: 909-612-9051
7 909-595-2788
* hannah.evangelista@hikvision.com
>>>>

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Update 12/26/2015:

Well it's about 3 months later, and we got our first real rain. Turns out, these as not as weatherproof as advertised. Both the connector and the camera have let water in. The connector was completely filled and the inside of the lens is covered with condensation (See picture). Don't know yet if anything is salvageable as I'm letting things dry out now.
review image
on December 24, 2014
 Great camera and noticeably better picture than my other 720P cameras. I have attached a video review that includes a zoom-in on a license plate using both this camera and a cheaper 720p camera, as well as a screenshot comparing the 1080p and 3MP modes. (Keep in mind this was using the default video settings and filming the PC screen so it's not 100% scientific.). One of the reasons I picked the Hikvision 2032 is I found the camera is frequently recommended on security forums, so I knew there would be plenty of information to assist with installation and configuration. Also, it works flawlessly with the "Blue Iris" security software.

PROS:
1. Good picture quality with many adjustment options.
2. Solid construction and mounting base.
3. Ability to completely hide the wire behind the base.
4. If you do need to mount the Ethernet wire outside the base, a waterproof connector is included in the box.
5. You can power the camera via DC or POE. I'm using a WS-POE-8-48v60w injector.

CONS:
1. Slightly warm to the touch during indoor testing. (I hope this does not indicate a future overheat issue...)
2. No printed instructions included in the box.
3. No weatherproof connector or end cap included for the unused DC power connection.
4. When using the Web interface, it puts captured files in a strange folder on Windows 8.1. I am sure this is probably a security-related issue: C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Virtualized\C\Users\YOURNAME\Web
on October 2, 2014
I bought four of these and am impressed. They work very well & have decent image quality. The positives are well-covered in other reviews.

Here are the drawbacks:

These are very hard to set up. It took a lot of googling and many amazon review-searches to figure out how to get these online.

Although these are 3MP cameras, the sensor is 4:3, not 16:9... so the aspect ratio on the maximum image size is an archaic.

These cameras don't quite seem to see the full spectrum I would expect them to. Digital cameras generally show 4-5 stops in either direction of the images mid-point... I suspect that these cameras are delivering about 3.5... which without getting too technical, means you end up with an image that makes brights a bit brighter and darks a bit darker than you'd expect them to be.
on June 23, 2015
I have a problem with a stray pixel line on one of my cameras and contacted HIKVision tech support. They returned the following:

Hikvision USA only supports products that are sold through company approved channels and
will not support product sold outside these channels. Hikvision USA only provides Warranty
Service and Technical Support for products purchased directly from an Authorized Hikvision
USA Distribution Partner.

Unauthorized North American Distributors include but are not limited to the following:
· Aliexpress (www.aliexpress.com)
· CCTVOne (Amazon Store, www.cctvone.com)
· Gemini Computers (www.geminicomputersinc.com)
· www.amazon.com
· www.sears.com
· www.survellient.net
· www.syscom.com or www.epcom.net
· wrightwoodsurveillance.com
· Nelly's Security (www.nellyssecurity.com)
· Newegg (www.newegg.com)
· TechGeekShop (www.techgeekshop.com)
· www.ebay.com

Notice Amazon is on the list. Two week old camera, bogus line running across the display, and absolutely no tech support or warranty coverage. Great picture but caveat emptor!