5.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality, reliable and great picture!
I'm writing this review after purchasing 5 Foscam FI8905W's and sending every one of them back because they were all defective. After going through all these returns the past few months, my main goal was to find a camera that is reliable, high quality and just flat out works. I certainly have found that in this camera.

I picked up 2 of these for my home as well...
Published 13 months ago by PEN15

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice hardware, too many software problems
Published 11 months ago by Ivor Durham

5.0 out of 5 stars Very high quality, reliable and great picture!, October 11, 2013

I picked up 2 of these for my home as well as this POE (Power Over Ethernet - WS-POE-8-48v60w passive Power Over Ethernet POE Injector for 8 IP cameras, VOIP phones or Access Points, 48 volts, 60 watts max) Injector to go along w/ the new cameras. The POE injector will power on the cameras via ethernet (cat5e or cat6) cable so you don't have to plug the camera into a wall outlet (camera doesn't come with a wall plug).

Mounting the camera was a breeze (aside from balancing on a ladder). The mounting bracket itself is a lot higher quality than the Foscam and similar less expensive IP cameras. After mounting the camera you are able to loosen the ring that holds the actual camera in place and aim it accordingly. I'm very confident that the cameras are very sturdy on the house and aren't going anywhere. The camera has an IP66 weatherproof rating which means it's rated as "dust tight" and protected against heavy seas or powerful jets of water. In other words the rain won't hurt it.

As I write this review the cameras have been mounted for 3 days straight and have not reset or shut off at all. I hate to keep comparing to the Foscams but the day after mounting them they were already resetting and having major stability issues. Nothing at all with these and I don't expect any either. They just flat out work the way they should.

Good:
- The picture quality is astonishing. It is 1080P and crystal clear. I can read license plates and logos on clothes.
- The size. It's very small compared to the Foscam's that I was using. This is a huge plus.
- IR ring size - This is also smaller than the Foscam ring size. This was important to me because the IR lights illuminate

Bad:
- Nothing really. I guess the night vision could be a little bit better but the noise reduction on the camera really makes up for it.

Installation:
Please keep in mind that the cameras come with a fixed IP address of 192.0.0.64 so you may need to configure your PC with a compatible IP. If you are running the supplied software (SADP) to locate the camera then you may also need to disable any firewall.

I highly recommend this camera and will update this review as time goes on!

** UPDATE 12/2/13 **
It has been 2 months since I originally purchased my first Hikvision 3MP bullet camera so I figured I would post an update. Within the past 2 months I have purchased 8 more of these cameras, 3 which were for me (the rest for friends). So I have had my hands on 10 of these cameras in the past two months and configured each one of them myself. I cannot be happier with this camera from everything from reliability to picture quality, this camera has exceeded my expectations. I am running 4 of these cameras using the Blue Iris software with no issues at all and the cameras literally never go out or have connectivity issues. Another 4 of them are being recorded with a Hikvision NVR that also has been flawless.

Weather Conditions:

When I originally purchased my first camera I did not even consider the fact that I live in the north east (NY) and the temperature ranges anywhere from single digits (Fahrenheit) to triple digits. I installed the first camera in the beginning of October when the temperature was still moderate / comfortable (50+ degrees). Within the past 3 weeks the temperature has dipped as low as 9 degrees Fahrenheit and the cameras did not even blink. They have remained 100% operable through the low temperature and I will continue to update this review as the temperature drops even more. I do believe that the infrared and internal components give off a fair amount of heat (you can feel the heat when you touch the cameras) so that probably helps. I am not concerned about the low temperature affecting the cameras but I will remain conscious of it and keep my eye open.

I will continue to update this review as time goes on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice hardware, too many software problems, December 2, 2013
While this is a lovely little camera, there are significant problems with the HikVision software which have cost me hours in trying to get it configured to do what it says it can do. Apart from things just not working, there is absolutely no useful feedback from the software about what is wrong! HikVision's web site does not list a technical support number or e-mail address. I called the main number and got transferred to tech support.

The litany of problems I encountered:

1. The installer for the SADP utility found I had a newer version of the WinPCap library and asked if I wanted to keep it. I did, but then SADP couldn't find the camera. I eventually installed the latest WinPCap (4.1.3) and it then worked. The SADP utility apparently reports the "SDK" port rather than the HTTP port.

2. I was unable to reliably set non-default ports. After the device rebooted I couldn't reach it via the new HTTP port. I found I could get to it via the original port (80), but when I attempted to login I would get "Network abnormal" errors. I had to perform a factory reset multiple times and then gave up since I was planning to access the camera via IPv6 anyway and didn't absolutely have to use port forwarding to get to it.

3. After adding the camera's IPv6 address to my Windows hosts file I could connect to the camera, but the Live View kept reporting "Live view failed". I discovered that if I connected to the camera via the raw IPv6 address, the live view worked. So there is a problem with the browser plugin. Bookmarking the URL with the IPv6 address in the browser worked around this problem.

4. I tried to set up FTP to upload snapshots. The same credentials from my PC to the FTP server work fine. Nothing uploaded from the camera. There is no "Test" feature to confirm that the FTP configuration works and nowhere to tell you why it failed (e.g. authentication error, timeout). I even copied/pasted everything to be sure it was correct.

5. I tried to set up e-mail for alerts from the camera. I kept getting "Parameter error" when I tried to save my configuration. I discovered from HikVision support that you cannot have a period in the e-mail addresses! So first.last (at) yourmailserver won't work, but firstlast (at) yourmailserver will! I was able to setup a user without a period in the name and I was able to save the parameters. Still no e-mail received for motion detection with 24 hour arming enabled.

6. I tried to configure storage via NAS. It reports my NFS volume is "offline". Other systems can see the NFS volume just fine. There is no error report to clarify the problem. HikVision support says it is not yet compatible with all NFS, just a couple of NAS products and could not provide any further diagnosis.

7. There is nothing in the camera log at all. HikVision support says you have to have a flash card installed, but there is nothing in the manual about this! Elsewhere I found a reference that you have to have storage configured, but I can't do that because it cannot access my NFS volume!

I've had four calls to support. The first call got dropped after less than a minute (sudden dial tone). The next call recommended I upgrade the camera firmware. They have to give you credentials for an FTP server to get the latest firmware (5.0.2) since it is not accessible via their web site. That didn't fix any of the issues. During the third call I accidentally discovered the work around to the "Live view failed" problem. A few days later, my fourth call revealed the problem with including a period in e-mail addresses, but on all the other issues all I got was "I'm not the programmer, just support" when trying to find out how to diagnose the other problems. Absolutely useless! I will have to resort to a network sniffer to try to diagnose each of these problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but room for improvement..., November 21, 2013
This is great unit. The camera quality is excellent, and the power over ethernet reduces the amount of cable I needed to run. The built in software (accessable through a web interface) is quite powerful. I particularly like the fact that it will record video only if it detects motion in a defined area. The key for me is that it can record without the need for an NVR or a PC running NVR software. I am able to store the video it takes on my Netgear ReadyNAS network attached storage, which has plenty of room for the data.

There is, however, room for improvement. First, the documentation is not very good. I had to google to find out a step by step NAS setup guide (search terms: hikvision's built-in nvr like capabilities). It also didn't explain some of the features well. For example, it points out that the unit has various levels of motion sensitivity, (0-6) but doesn't say which is more sensitive. I had to figure that one out by trial and error.

Speaking of motion detection: it is a bit of a challenge. There are 7 levels from 0 to 6, with level one working well for daytime but MUCH too sensitive for night. Unfortunately, level 0 is too insensitive for day and night, so I'm a bit stuck. They should consider revamping their motion detection and allow having two levels - one for day and one for night.

Another issue is that I need to actively delete video files on a regular basis because the ReadyNAS fills up. I should be able to define a given amount of storage for the video, with the unit deleting the oldest files to make room for new files when the storage fills up.

Another issue is the difficulty in setting up the FTP. I still haven't got it work (I'd like to store a few snapshots in addition to the video). They really should have a "test" ftp function like my DLink IP camera has - this will send a dummy file at the push of a button which helps immensely when setting up FTP.

As far as the night vision goes, it's really quite good, although I added a 850nm IR illuminator to brighten the scene even more.

Lastly, it's a little bit buggy. When setting it up I got it into a state wherein it wouldn't play back images recorded during the day. I reset and reprogrammed the unit and now it works again. It should be a bit more stable than that.

Keep in mind these are minor complaints/suggestions. If I had to buy the unit again, I'd do it again without question.

UPDATE: I'm still having issues with the playback feature. Sometimes when I move the cursor to a time where it's indicated that a video clip was stored it won't play that clip. It tends to happen more during for day images than night images. I'm not sure why this is - but it is not very encouraging. As a result, I knocked back my review from 4 to 3 stars....

UPDATE 2: It seems that if you setup the video with a 3MP image and "high" or "highest" image quality, there's not enough data transmission bandwidth for the playback feature to work - at least for daytime images which are color (and therefore have ~3x more data than the B/W night images). Once I dialed the image quality back to "medium" I was able to get the playback to work reliably. I'll bump my review back up to 4 stars, but this is an issue that HikVision should really look into.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than my Axis camera. Mac users read this., February 21, 2014
This review is from: Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I Outdoor HD 3MP IP Bullet Security Camera 4mm (Camera)
Length:: 0:56 Mins

I purchased this camera with some anxiety since I am a Mac user and I was concerned about being able to set it up. And indeed it did require a Windows environment to do the initial set-up. Running Windows 7 in Parallels I was able to discover the camera and change the IP address to be compatible with my network using the included SADP software. I was immediately struck by the high quality of the video on this camera. It is dramatically superior to the Axis 207MW that I had been using (mounted Indoor pointed through a window since it is not an outdoor camera). I have not had experience with infra-red cameras before and I am very impressed by the image quality in near total darkness. I am using it powered by PoE with the TP-Link TL-POE150S. It becomes even more complicated than that- I am also using a TP-Link Powerline adaptor (TL-PA4010) to extend my connection from my router without having to run 200 feet of Cat 5 cable the full length of my house. Much to my relief this is working without a problem.

The camera weighs more than I expected. This is because of its high quality construction.I am very likely to purchase another one of these very reasonably priced cameras.

The only problem I've had is that I am unable to view the camera video through my Mac browsers. I have to use either Firefox or Safari browser in a Windows environment to see the video in a browser. But this has not been a major problem since I use the camera in conjunction with SecuritySpy Software which handles the camera well. With SecuritySpy I can set up motion detection, video recordings, email notification, uploads to ftp servers, etc. So Windows is not so important once the camera has been initially set-up. And the live video can easily be viewed on my iPhone or iPad with the free app available at the App Store.

Take a look at the short movie I created from a motion actuated recording from my camera on my front porch. I think it gives you a good idea of the high quality video image.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT HikVision - No support, January 9, 2014
Plain Mike (Mount Shasta, CA) - See all my reviews
After reading reviews of the HikVision DS-2CD2032-I Security Camera I purchased two from Amazon. The photographs on Amazon's advertisement show this item as a genuine HikVision product with the HikVision logo.

- The supplied camera is NOT HikVision.
- The delivered camera has firmware much older than the current HikVision firmware.
- I contacted HikVision technical support, and they refuse to provide the firmware or any support.

This was a huge waste of time. If I had not contacted HikVision for support early, other, more substantial support would be withheld in the future when I lack the return opportunity.

Amazon should not allow false claims, as made by this supplier.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a re-branded Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I, January 2, 2014
I already own and installed two genuine Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I outdoor cameras. So when I received this one, I expected the real deal. Don't let the pictures fool you - the camera was actually packaged in a plain white oem box and there is no "Hikvision" logo on the camera itself as is displayed in the advertised product photo. In addition, the configuration screen as displayed in the advertised photo is also incorrect - instead of the expected logo, it actually displays "PX-IPIR203". I didn't mind this too much as long as it was the same camera and firmware and worked properly.

A major problem I noticed was that the configuration screen won't let you change the default port numbers. It looks like it takes the change, but the camera will not actually listen on the specified port number for RTSP or SDK port. I figured this out when doing a port scan on it. I wasted a whole day just troubleshooting why I can't connect to it over the Internet using port forwarding. Being an IT security guy for the past 25+ years, I've installed and configured numerous IP cameras and never ran into this issue.

Worst of all, when calling Hikvision for technical support on the matter - they will refuse to offer any assistance since they said that it is a RE-BRANDED Hikvision camera, sold by an unauthorized dealer - CCTVONE. This is actually a Winitech "PX-IPIR203" camera and will not be supported by Hikvision. If you want the real deal, get it from an authorized USA Hikvision dealer. Needless to say, I returned this one and ordered a genuine one from another dealer. I highly recommend a GENUINE Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I camera - but not from this dealer. Buyer beware!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Camera By Far, October 13, 2013
MJB (Virginia) - See all my reviews
These are outstanding cameras. Far superior to the 13 Foscam and 2 TRENDnet cameras also in my network. The image is simply stunning, with an unusually wide angle of view. Moreover, the camera is incredibly small and, unlike the competition, actually designed to allow for easy and elegant wall or ceiling mounting without having to try to hide a bunch of cables. The user interface is adequate -- piece of cake if you have any experience in this.

There are only two (minor) complaints. First, the cameras do not arrive with DHCP addressing selected as the default. They are already assigned an meaningless static IP address and the first thing you have to do is run some software from Hikvision to change this before you can discover the camera on your network. Not a big deal, but an unnecessary and confusing step. Second, these units are only designed for POE and do NOT come with a DC power unit. I was unable to find the camera on my network while using any of my DC power units and a non-POE connection, even though the DC units met the power specification. So don't get these unless you have POE from the start.

Bottom line: this is the best cameras out there. Hikvision is well known in Asia/Pacific but is just now entering the US market. They will do very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera., May 9, 2014
I needed a few cameras for my apartment complex. I called the store up, and asked for some recommendations. They told me to buy the Hikvision system, and that I would get "the most bang for my buck". They led me to buy a couple of these cameras for the back, and front, and some different cameras for the hallways and lobby area. I put these by the 2nd floor outside in the front and back to keep it out of reach of vandals, and it gave me great picture. I had to call them up to set up for remote access, and they walked me through it. I replaced my old analog system I bought a couple of years ago, and the difference is amazing. The cameras are small, which is good because it was easier to install than my older bulky heavy cameras. The picture is very clear, the user interface is looks more polished and professional compared to other systems I've seen. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good camera - Beware of gray market brown boxed version. Do not purchase from Diyzone., October 23, 2014
This is a very good camera, especially for the price. I haven't had it installed long about a month but no issues so far. Setting up the IP is not as difficult as some say. They also include software for monitoring and recording which is not great but OK for included software.
BEWARE: (ATTENTION AMAZON) There are two versions of this camera, one for the CHINA market and one for the U.S. market. The CHINA market version comes in a plain brown box and all manuals are in Chinese only. The U.S. version comes in a full color box with English manual. DO NOT KEEP the CHINA version. Hikvision will not support you.
Diyzone is one reseller that sells the gray market CHINA version. DO NOT PURCHASE IF THE RESELLER IS Diyzone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for Logitech cams, January 29, 2014
Paul L. Osterman "GasPath" (Copperas Cove, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I had 4 logitechs that kept dropping into their own little world and unfortunately, you can do nothing when this happens if you are not standing on your ladder next to them. Tried everything including several high power POE switches and nothing would keep these cams from dropping off line especially when I was half way around the world. Replaced all four with these Hikvision cameras and I'm never going back. Fully adjustable night IR lights are fantastic for my neighborhood allowing me to adjust between the ones in the complete dark and those with street lights nearby. I was able to easily set them up to be monitored by my remote Blue Iris system, illiminating the need to have a dedicated computer at home (logitech requirement again). The new version of the Hikvision software that you can get from their web site looks great. I am very comfortable with Blue Iris, and perhaps when I return again to the US, I will look into using it full time.

If you are new to port forwarding/reassigning IP addresses, these cameras may require just a bit of learning. They are not plug and play for my arrangment, but I really didn't spend more than about 5 minutes per camera getting them set up the way I wanted with external ports for monitoring them without a dedicated machine in the house. That's with passwords, too. If you use their program for locating the cameras and you understand your internet hardware, you'll have no problems.

Since I am remoting these cameras over my foreign internet connection, I don't presently run them at 3K (but I can change it from my overseas location, something I could not do with my Logitech 700e). When I was home, and installed them, I tried the 3K and the pictures were great. Night is like most of the cameras with what I call "ghosting" of people in the FOV. But you can tune a lot of aspects of the night scene and maximize its clarity. I already had someone attempt to open my car at 2:45 AM and had they broken anything, I would have been able to identify them (I sent the video to my neighbors, but noone knew the two that were quietly testing for unlocked cars).

These cams have already been online now for two months. They have been exposed to the cold, rain and snow and NOT ONE OF THEM HAS DROPPED OFF LINE (sorry, but I wanted Logitech to hear that because they blamed my setup, even when my Toshibas remained online and their crappy cameras were like ET and were stuck trying to phone home).

I recommend these Hikvision DS-2CD2032 cams, and I intend to put up two more when I finally get back home again.