Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I 3MP EXIR Turret Network Camera
Size: 4mm/DS-2CD2332-IChange
Price:$109.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 5, 2015
I have to preface this review by stating that I have many years of experience working in IT, and have worked with IP cameras enough to understand much of what is involved with installation and configuration. After crawling around my dusty attic today, drilling holes, running the Ethernet cable, hooking up a PoE switch, mounting the camera, and configuring software, I can finally conclude that this camera is a great replacement for the low resolution camera I had for my front yard.

This camera is sturdy. It includes a separate window for the IR emitter and sensor so that you do not get light bleed in the image, which is a huge plus compared to single window units. I have attached three images which include a daytime snapshot, a snapshot with daylight just after the camera switched over to night settings (black and white + IR emitter), and a snapshot at night.

Something to note: I do wish that the web GUI did not require a Windows browser plugin. I personally use Linux on all of my systems, and had to utilize my fiancé's laptop to complete the configuration for the image settings (brightness, saturation, contrast, etc.).

My setup:
* Hardware:
>> Cable Matters Cat6a Snagless Shielded (SSTP/SFTP) Ethernet Patch Cable in White 75 Feet
>> TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-Port PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W

* IP Camera Settings:
>> System (Time Settings)
>>>> NTP Server Address - time.nist.gov

>> System (DST)
>>>> Enable DST
>>>> Start Time - Mar, Second, Sun, 02
>>>> End Time - Nov, First, Sun, 02
>>>> DNS Bias - 60min

>> Network (TCP/IP)
>>>> DHCP checked (I have a DHCP server service running on my router, by default you should as well)

>> Network (Port)
>>>> Personally, I set these to non-default ports

>> Network (*)
>>>> Disable everything else you don't need... which is pretty much everything in my case.

>> Video/Audio (Video)
>>>> Stream Type - Main Stream
>>>> Resolution - 1920*1080P (The image is wider [you get a further view to the sides])
>>>> Bitrate Type - Variable

>>>> Frame Rate - 12
>>>> Max. Bitrate - 8192
>>>> Video Encoding - MJPEG
>>>> I Frame Interval - 12

>> Image (Display Settings)
>>>> Image Adjustment - 55, 50, 72, 50, 55
>>>> Exposure Settings - Manual, 1/30, 100
>>>> Day/Night Switch - Auto, 4, 10, OFF
>>>> Backlight Settings - Up
>>>> White Balance - AWB1
>>>> Video Adjustment - OFF, OFF, 60hz, OFF

>> Security (User)
>>>> CHANGE THE ADMIN PASSWORD
>>>> Create new user accounts as needed

* (Mobile) Software - tinyCam Monitor Pro for Android
>> Settings High Quality:
>>>> Vendor - Hikvision
>>>> Camera model - DS-2CD2232-I5
>>>> Protocol - RTSP over UDP (MPEG/H264)

>> Settings Low Quality (1 frame/sec):
>>>> Vendor - Hikvision
>>>> Camera model - DS-2CD2232-I5
>>>> Protocol - Snapshot (JPEG)
review image review image review image
on November 5, 2014
This is an absolutely excellent camera (and it's my 4th IP camera). The night quality is far better than the other reviewer suggests (see picture). Additionally, the 2.8mm focal length is great for its wide view. (again, see picture). Please note that attached picture is at 1MP and not 3MP. I lowered the quality to reduce the bandwidth requirement. 3MP is exceptional on this camera.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2014
Paired with Sighthound Software it is Amazing! The image quality for this 3MP cam is great, even if it were a $500 camera. This is the best deal going in IP cams. I have it mounted next to a Hikvision Cube 3MP and they are both amazing cameras. This one is the 2.8mm version and the Cube is 4mm version. I can barely tell the difference, but the 2.8mm does give you a little more real estate. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Hikvision makes great cameras! They are the number one provider of IP cams and DVRs worldwide. The IR on this EXIR is stronger than the Cube so it lights up a bigger area, but I can't say image quality is any better or worse. The Cube 3MP has an amazing picture too and if it is next to this camera at night the night vision is just as good. The lenses must be similar.

I paired these Hikvision cams up with Sighthound Pro which allows me to store video on any local drive and also send images and video to a cloud service. I use Google Drive because it is free for up to 15GB , 1.99 per month for 100GB and 9.99 per month for 1TB storage. I can access and play these files from anywhere with iphone, ipad, or computer hooked to the internet. Sighthound also has an iphone and ipad app that allows live streaming and playback of recorded video. It's the easiest , most intuitive software I have found for surveillance. Check it out at www.sighthound.com and their videos at YouTube. With Sighthound, I get notifications via their app on the iphone and ipad, also images sent to my email. That gives me 3 sources of storage with two off site for free.

I also use LiveCams Pro with these cams for remote live viewing on iPad because the images are loaded faster, look better and can be enhanced, zoomed in on etc..

This camera paired with Sighthound gives you professional image recording qualities, easy configuration and playback, and is 1/10th the price of a commercial installed system. I haven't found a better combination yet at any price!

I've included a video of a big bad thief I busted last night!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 16, 2014
A NEW DAY
SUCCESS
MANY NON-WORKING FEATURES

TL:DR

After several hours of various attempts, I could not get either of the included Hikvision programs to work effectively, so instead I powered the camera with an external 12V supply, set an isolated PC's IP address to 192.0.0.63, and then connected the PC directly to the camera, Ethernet port to Ethernet port, without any external routing or switching. In this mode I was able to open a web browser to 192.0.0.64 and change the camera's IP to match our network IP, then unpower/disconnect everything and connect it back to the network to conduct subsequent setup and maintenance. Initially I did not change the default gateway IP and it failed to appear when connected to the network.

Restarting everything and again connecting camera directly to PC on a 192.0.0.x subnet re-discovered the camera, so obviously the changes had not taken effect. I re-entered camera static IP that was compatible with my network's subnet, and this time I entered an appropriate default gateway, hit save, and it gave a reboot message. Reconnecting to the network and restarting PC and camera achieved connection. Operation is decent, the video is pretty nice with good color rendition. The infrared also appears reasonably sharp. There appears to be about a 2-second latency between a real-world event and the video rendition of that event through the web browser. The camera is suitable to my needs.

PACKAGING AND CONTENTS

The DS-2CD2332-I camera was enclosed in a plain brown cardboard box with custom foam padding. The box was not printed with Hikvision branding as depicted on the Amazon image. Also enclosed were mini-cd labelled #3000090790, an installation template, drywall anchor screws, waterproof wire connector, and a bright red card which said:
--------front---------
Thank you for your purchase!
Boston Technologies
bostontechsales@gmail.com
amazon.com/shops/bostontech
--------rear---------
We want you happy! If you have any
problems with your order, please email us:
bostontechsales@gmail.com

Use this promo code on your next
order for a special discount:
<code suppressed>
---------------------

The CD sleeve also contained a round red purple acetate disc which said "HIKVISION" below two rows of ideogram characters. The first row was red, and the second row was purple with a red crescent in the middle.

GETTING STARTED WITH THE CD

There was no quick start guide and no hint of how to proceed.

I connected the camera to a POE switch and popped the CD into a Windows 7 Home Premium laptop.

The CD launched a red, white, and gray menu which said,
-------------------------------------------------
HIKVISION www.hikvision.com
First Choice for Security Professionals
(many ideograms)
---------------------------

Clicking Next> yielded the license agreement, then a choice to install Client, Storage Server, and/or Stream Media Server. I selected all three

Clicking Next> indicated it was ready to install; and then clicking Install yielded:

iVMS-4200(v2.00) - InstallShield Wizard
Unable to launch vcredist_x86.exe
---------------------------

Clicking on OK proceeded to the next message:
Feature transfer error
Feature: Client
Component: Client
File: C:\Program Files\iVMS-4200 Station\
Error: Access is denied. OK
---------------------------

Clicking OK terminated the program.

So, the program that Hikvision's install guide wanted us to use doesn't work.
I Googled around a bit and followed some Microsoft suggestions to install in compatibility mode with Windows 98, but this threw the same error messages and terminated.

I gave up on iVMS-4200 and investigated SADP (Search Active Device Protocol). In the same directory, a PDF user manual explained that this software can also recognize and configure Hikvision cameras.

I ran setup.exe to install SADP. The program claimed to be installation free, but it really did a registry installation and showed up in control panel. Also, it asks if you want to install vcredist_x86.patch and WinpCap. It is unclear if you do, and so I said no and it installed without issue. I executed SADP from the desktop icon. It provided an list of IP address, device, port, MAC addresses, etc. but the list was empty.

I decided to disable my firewall and refresh the list, but the list remained empty.

Back to reading the SADP manual.

First, it suggested running as Administrator. I exited and restarted as Administrator with no better results.

Reading the installation manual further, it said, `The default value of the IP address is "192.0.0.64". The default user name is "admin", and password is "12345".'

So, I think that because my own subnet uses a different IP subnet, I will never be able to see the camera on that network. This presents a problem because (1) I know nothing about how to set up a route among dissimilar subnets, and (2) I am depending upon the POE switch to power the device.

Eventually I was able to locate a 12V DC, 1A power supply and plugged it into the DS-2CD2332-I alternative power port. This freed me from the POE switch. Next I plugged my PC directly into the DS-2CD2332-I Ethernet port and changed the PC to a static IP address of "192.0.0.63." In Windows 7, I opened the "Network and Sharing Center," selected "change adapter settings," right clicked and selected "Properties" of my LAN adapter, clicked on "IPV4" on the "Networking" tab and selected "Properties," and on the "alternate configuration" tab entered a static IP of "192.0.0.63" with subnet mask "255.255.255.0." This required a computer restart before the settings would take effect.

After the restart, I opened the command prompt and typed "IPCONFIG" to confirm that my address was indeed 192.0.0.63, then typed "PING 192.0.0.64" and received a reply. It was connected!

Excited, I now restarted SADP but sadly it still showed no devices. This was confusing because I could PING the camera and get a response, but I could not see it under SADP even though the PC firewall had been disabled and the PC Ethernet port was directly connected to the camera.

Now I began to wonder if the missing components, vcredist_x86.patch and WinpCap, were essential to successful operation (but then why make them appear optional?). I uninstalled SADP and then reinstalled it, selecting vcredist_x86.patch and WinpCap for installation. However, it threw two error messages:
SADP - InstallShield Wizard
Unable to launch vcredist_x86.exe
SADP - InstallShield Wizard
Unable to launch WinPcap_4_1_1.exe
---------------------------

Even with these error codes, it did installed and so I ran it again without success finding anything. BTW in control panel/add and remove programs, the publisher is listed as, simply and non-descriptly, "company."

Next, I Googled SADC and Hikvision and downloaded a more recent version, v2.1.0.2, but it threw the same installation error dialogs.

WEB SERVER

In disgust, I gave up on SADP and tried to access the camera via a web page, by launching Chrome and typing "192.0.0.64" into the address bar. It prompted for username and password and responded to "admin" and "12345." I was in! However, the default "Live view" tab was selected and displaying the message, "Please click here to download and install the plug-in. Close the browser when installing the plug-in." Keep in mind it was connected only to the camera and not to the internet, so that installation isn't going to work in this configuration.

OK, next plan is to change the camera's static IP to be consistent with my LAN subnet. Suppose your LAN router was 192.168.1.1; in all likelihood your devices will be numbered somewhere between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254. Pick a number that isn't going to get automatically assigned by your router, and isn't already assigned to someone else, and you should be OK. In the given example, you might change the camera static IP to 192.168.1.198. To do this, I clicked on the "Configuration" tab and select "Basic Configuration/Network." I can now see the IPv4 address of 192.0.0.64 and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I'll just replace that IP address with 192.168.1.198. Once I do that, again I'll be unable to access the camera until I realign my PC with that address. In my case I disconnected the camera from my PC, removed the 12V power, and plugged it into my POE network switch, and also connected my PC to the same network. After a PC restart, I was back in business.

Except that I was not. After rebooting the PC joined the network no problem, but could not find any indication of the camera. After swapping Ethernet cables (just in case), and still being functional on the PC but not on the camera, I can only imagine, ... what? a typo upon entering the IP address? It's true that the web page didn't firmly confirm that it was going to change the IP, but when I changed it and hit save, I could no longer access the camera, which is as it should be since at that moment my PC was aligned to the default Hikvision subnet while the camera had been realigned to my main subnet.

All I can imagine is, I must do a factory reset and then repeat all these shenanigans to realign the camera IP with my subnet IP before it can function in my network. Hopefully this time I won't lose the camera after reassigning its IP address.

News flash: this turret camera has no factory reset button. I couldn't recover using iVMS-4200 because it couldn't install under this Windows 7 Home Premium machine. I couldn't recover using SADC because even though it appeared to install successfully, it wouldn't actually find anything, even when I could ping the camera and access it fully via the camera's web interface. Now I cannot find the device on our network despite having changed the static IP to match our subnet.

DISCOURAGED

I'm tired and discouraged, so before I reconfigure everything back to 192.0.0.xx and try again, which will only work if somehow the camera IP address was not changed, which is not consistent with the loss of web interface after changing the subnet and hitting save, ... I'm going to get some sleep. This can sit for a day or so before I decide what to do with it.

A NEW DAY
After a good night's sleep, I decided to try to connect directly from PC to camera again, at 192.0.0.64, and attempt the web browser. Unexpectedly, this connected without issue, so obviously although I thought I had changed the camera IP, that attempt had failed. However, this time the web browser was primarily in Chinese:
----------------------------
简体中文
用户名
密 码
登录
©Hikvision Digital Technology Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
-----------------------------
I could pull down a drop-down menu near the top that I took to be language, but it only offered one selection which was in ideograms.

I decided to restart everything -- the camera and the PC -- and this time all was well. This time the drop-down menu had many languages and the web page had defaulted to English.

Again I went to configuration/network and entered the updated IP address. The only thing I did differently was enter a default gateway before hitting save. This time, however, I didn't lose connection to the web page, but instead a message popped up saying something like, "Reboot? OK" and I only lost connection when I hit "OK." I again restarted everything, plugged everything up properly to my network, and this time I could see the camera. I would use exclamation points (e.g. I could see the camera!) but given the amount of time I had spent, exclamation points were no longer warranted.

SUCCESS

From here everything worked mostly OK, although the hotlink on the viewing tab indicated I was to download browser plug-ins. I clicked on it a couple of times, enabled plug ins on Chrome, said always allow on the camera IP, but nothing happened. I restarted camera and PC with no further success. I'm a little fuzzy on the next steps; I seem to recall that hovering the mouse over the plugins link revealed that the file should be called WebComponents.exe, so I think I Googled and downloaded the file called WebComponents.exe from the Hikvision site, virus scanned it, and executed it. Now I could see the video.

It was late at night, so I turned off all the lights and verified the operation of the IR mode. I could hear the cut switch kick in and out based on light level, enabling either IR or visible.

The pictures were all clear and the video seemed to be a decent frame rate. I noted about a 2-second latency between the time something happened in the real world and the time I saw the event occur in my web browser view. I played with a number of settings such as resolution, I-frame interval, and frame rate, but the latency seemed unaffected. Perhaps that's simply the amount of time required to generate the h.264 stream.

So, bottom line, it's working well, and appears to be very good imagery with good daytime color rendition, adequate IR detail, and decent fixed focus across the bands. The color dynamic range was good: the bright light bulbs that were visible in the image did not wash out the color detail. Night time dynamic range was more difficult to assess but some limited night time detail could be discerned beyond the effective range of the IR illumination.

I haven't experimented with storage, compression, or other features. Since the imagery is very good and (mostly) all's well that ends well, I updated my original two star rating to four stars. This would have been an excellent five-star consumer experience if the supplied software could be successfully installed from the CD and, as a result, the camera would have been operational in half an hour or less. As it is, although I am ignorant about many network issues, I felt that my limited network experience was required to make this camera work, and it cannot be assumed that any user has the technical background to be able to succeed, considering the issues I experienced.

The CD that came with the camera had a great deal of documentation. The CD's first impressions were discouraging because (1) the auto-run popped up a menu that included many cameras, but not this turret camera, and (2) neither of the applications programs would run on my machine. These false starts burned a lot of time and good will. After those failures, I discounted the value of the CD, but this was a mistake because it wasn't until later that I discovered the manuals and guides which included critical start-up information. Instead, I Googled the Hikvision web site and discovered the same materials, which ultimately helped me get the camera up and running. Aside from unfortunate first impressions with the CD, it's worthwhile to recognize that Hikvision provides good information in the box with the camera, as well as on the Hikvision web site.

I'd like to attach a daytime and a nighttime image so that you can see how good it appears, but although I thought I recalled seeing an image attachment option when starting this review (before I had any imagery), I don't see how to provide that option when updating a review.

MANY NON-WORKING FEATURES
The ability to recognize that a face is within the field of view doesn't work, under any conditions, in my camera. Also many standard options have no save feature under the web server interface, and cannot be changed. For example, the exposure duration has a drop-down menu with many options as small as 1/100,000th of a second, but it's irrelevant because even though it can be selected, it cannot be saved in order to actually change camera settings.

There are many warts in this user interface that mean you must be happy with the default settings. Mostly, I am.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2014
The picture is fantastic. Low light performance is fantastic, and when IR switches on, these really have very nice, even and powerful illumination. They use a single high power infrared LED, not those cheap 5mm ones. Also, since the IR illuminator is completely separate from the lens, there are no nighttime infrared fogging symptoms that other cameras exhibit when the IR LEDs are packed inside a dome along with the lens. The web configuration is nice and fast, changes are quick. And the best thing is, these adhere well to the ONVIF standard, so motion detection actually works out of the box with my Avigilon Control Center NVR software.
Highly recommend these - I've bought 9 already. The only downside is that Hikvision supposedly makes available a 2.8mm lens, which I would prefer, but I have not been able to find those easily. These cameras have a 4mm which does the trick, but doesn't have the field of view of a 2.8mm. That being said, with the proper angling of these cameras, I have been able to make them cover the area I need them to cover just fine.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 15, 2014
So i have been on a mission to install a home surveillance system but i was being cheap and lazy. after some time messing around with wifi cams and other cheaper products I decided I was going to try this bad boy. Let me tell you this thing is amazing the picture quality day and night is outstanding. I am now sold and am looking at buying 2 more in the very near future because the quality of the product and software is worth the higher premium. If anyone has questions just let me know and ill respond or check out this guy he knows a lot about security cameras, [...]
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2015
This camera is fantastic. The quality of the image is excellent and the night shots look crisp and clean.
on December 25, 2014
For this review I'm going to assume you have some basic networking knowledge, are familiar comfortable setting up network shares, and can navigate documentation and the help menus of the device itself.

I ordered one just to test and play with before purchasing another three. First thing to note - pay attention to the focal length, I have a 2.8MM for a wide view area and 3, 4MM lenses, which are perfect for my mid-range use. I could have used a 6MM for one use case, but could not find one on Amazon, I see one now for about 2X the 120ish price. 4MM is fine for the price. There are a ton of YouTube videos that will show the difference and you can also measure for focal length.

Mine are powered via PoE (TPE-TG44g) and connected to a Lenovo IX2 that I already had for PC backups. I updated the firmware, changed the passwords and set static IP's for my network, goofed with the on camera areas of interest (AoI) settings, IR light, quality settings... I used the one camera license to check out the iX2's capabilities as well. I used a piece of scrap plywood to temporarily mount a camera and hang it out of a window to get a feel for the daytime and IR capabilities. For now I'm simply using the FTP mode to dump pictures to the NAS. Works great! More on that in a bit.

Mounting the cameras is a snap, small hole for the network run, three screws for the mounting ring, aim (using tablet/phone app) tighten the mount screw, snap in the trim ring, done! That was a little oversimplified, I build my own cables, have a tester, and you may need a fish rod to run cable inside your eaves. Running (and making) the cable will likely be the most significant challenge here. I would not recommend any type of WiFi adapter, too much bandwidth in the aggregate for most SoHo AP's.

The HKVision applications for Android/iOS are great for live view, so now when the dogs go off in the middle of the night, instead of heading downstairs I can just rollover pick up my phone, Nexus, iPadMini tabs, and pull up all four cameras in a couple of seconds and then determine whether or not just to yell the the dogs through the window or if something is amiss.

The IX2 has some built in surveillance software from Mindtree, which mostly works. SecureMind supports ONVIF, but that's not best setting for the HKV camera, dinking around with it indicates Asoni is a better option. And the AOI from the camera is does not automagically manage the video stream. But hey, this was really and ad hoc effort in the first place.

I also attempted to use the network file mount, for streams, both NFS and SMB without success. NFS is supposed to work and really widely adopted, but the documentation on the camera, and the iX2 is vague (for me anywar) and I could not get it to work. SMB comes close, the log in works, the "format" is successful. It's not really a format, it's just a file structure setup. And it even works until you log off the camera, then the initialization gets lost. I used discrete shares for each camera and various attempts with a single camera/single share, no luck.

In the end the quickest path was to simply set the cameras up to take pictures using the on-camera settings for motion and AoIs, then supply the proper credentials to their own FTP directory on the NAS. Been running about a month that way and I will need to manually clean out the FTP folders now and then. I have not decided on purchasing the SecureMind licenses or moving to a larger NAS. A couple of TBs is a lot for my home PC backups and movies now, but in 3-4 years who knows? There are quite a few new NAS boxes with this capability built in, so that's an option.

The net of all this is, the cameras are great, and I assume if you use the intended SW from HKV that's also great. I'm quite happy with the performance of the cameras and images captured, I can browse on an "event" and zoom in on cars, people, docs, cats... whatever. I really like that IP cameras are available at this price point. Three or four years from know when the it's time to upgrade the infrastructure is in place and that's a big plus.

If you do figure out how to use one of the NAS functions to stream video please post a note!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 8, 2014
There is a lot to like about this camera and then there are details that can drive you up the wall.

The picture is clear, produces very nice color images with the usual tradeoffs of frames per second vs. resolution. At higher resolutions, the coverage is more picture-booki-ish, while lower resolutions give smooth coverage. Higher resolution images do offer more detail but can have smeared details if the subject is moving quickly. So installation location is important as the closer the subject comes to your camera, the better the camera can capture them.

In night mode (i.e. gray) the images are also quite good. The large IR LED does a really nice job of illuminating nearby objects, even in total darkness, and the camera can switch over quickly, alternating between day mode (color) and night mode (B&W). It gets somewhat warm on a 48V POE connection; and I might look for a gigabit POE injector that uses a lower voltage, so the internal voltage regulator has less work to do (or heat to dissipate) and potentially the images come out better (i.e. more bandwidth).

The hardware supports ONVIF and a number of other standards that allow this camera to be used with other software solutions out there. Unfortunately, you really have to buy an additional set of software to make this camera useful as the supplied software is simply terrible. Let's start with discovering the camera and go from there. Most IP cameras have a built-in web server that allows you to manage the functions of the camera and one can use most web browsers to set it up. Unfortunately, by default, the HiKVision has a pre-set IP address on the 192.0.0 subnet (mine was 192.0.0.26, IIRC) which means it's not on the same subnet as most home networks, i.e. something in the 192.168.1.x or in the 10.0.0.x range.

This makes administering the camera more difficult with just a web-browser, i.e. you will likely have to download a utility first to find the device, re-conconfigure it, etc. Yes, you can manually reconfigure your computer IP address, attach a ethernet cable directly to the camera, 'find' the camera by trying out different default IP addresses, etc. but ultimately, the HiKVision-provided utility is the easiest way to 'find' the camera on your network without all the work described above. Then reconfigure the camera as needed (I prefer mine to pull its IP address from my DHCP server, for example) and you're good to go. But you need to run that utility, and getting it installed is more difficult than usual on a Mac.

The 'mac compatible' utility that is supposed to control this camera doesn't work all that well on a modern Mac. The iView 4200 OSX software I downloaded requires the installation of the X11 X-window environment to run. The latter didn't install well, perhaps because Apple is no longer including it by default with the OS. Using Safari and other browsers in OSX 10.8 it was impossible to get live views while adjusting picture settings, privacy screens, motion detection areas, etc. when connecting to camera via the built in web browser. I thought it might be the firmware and then discovered it is impossible to upload new firmware also using the built-in web server. Many settings, once adjusted would not be saved.

Finally, I downloaded the windows version iView 4200 and was able to update the firmware on the camera. While the windows version of the iView software is at least functional, it's not great either. For example, you can have the camera automatically upload streams to a network drive whenever it detects motion. Yet, the setup software includes no testing function and the process fails silently unless you have the settings just right. Needless to say, I am not impressed. Common installation issues like getting the camera to log in successfully into a NAS and deposit its video there therefore become very frustrating to work through.

This camera basically needs an external software package to do anything useful beyond initial setup. Whether it's a surveillance package on a NAS or something that runs on your computer (BlueIris, SecuritySpy, etc.) you will likely need one of those packages to really make this camera work in a typical network. To me, this is deeply disappointing.
2727 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2015
Let me start by saying that the image quality is OUTSTANDING, and that applies to DAY or NIGHT. The IR Illuminator is far superior to the typical multi LED emitters found on most cameras. It lights up our 80' pool deck as if there were a flood light on it all night. This is NOT a PTZ camera - I initially thought it was but was disappointed to discover that it's all manual push and twist. Loosen a set screw and twist the turrent for lateral position and longitudinal position is accomplished with a strong push on the turrent ball up or down. I have the 2.8mm lens and I'm ordering 2 more. This unit does NOT come with a PS. It does include an IP-66 rated outdoor Ethernet RJ-45e cable dongle connector. It does have a power port dongle that you'll need to use to temporarily connect a user supplied 12v PS to for initial setup with a laptop or off-network PC - after that POE works to provide power, so you'll need a POE network to get power to it. The instruction manual is NOT written in English. The CD that comes with it is NOT written in English. It does NOT have provisions for audio. Once you get into the web UI, the default login is "admin" and pw is "12345". Make sure you go through all of the various menus and change/disable the things you don't need hackers or snoopers to easily exploit. Now with all of the negatives, the fact that it has such a superior video quality at a phenomenal high resolution with little or no jitter over my GB network, I give it 5 stars.