5.0 out of 5 stars Hold It Right There Dogbreath!!!
Published on October 14, 2005 by C. Freeman

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality transfer
I'm shocked that such a seminal TV series was given the "quick-and-dirty" treatment. The sound is mono, the video not remastered. 20th Centry Fox should be ashamed. 5 stars for the series, 1 for the transfer.
Published on February 28, 2006 by Greg

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold It Right There Dogbreath!!!, October 14, 2005
C. Freeman (San Leandro, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
I loved this show when it premiered and watched it eagerly every week. I was in the Air Force then and remember this show being one of the absolute best on television. To those who are quick to forget, Hill Street Blues set the precedent for cop shows to come. By killing off key characters occasionally the show had a sense of stark, gritty realism that made most of the cop shows of it's time seem like 'Car 54'. This show was in the forefront of bold, daring originality. True, when Michael Conrad died there WAS a decline in the show because he was such a well-loved character, but the show retained it's greatness nonetheless. In MY book Hill Street will always be remembered as the show that all other cop shows, and even non-cop shows, tip their hats to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real classic: Finally on DVD, November 13, 2005
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
Fans of this show wanted it so badly that the VHS release that was published a few years ago goes for as much as $200 in the amazon sellers (original price was around $30).

Anyway, it's been worth the wait, as this promises to be a real good DVD set: Not only the episodes are there (of course), but also commentary tracks, deleted scenes, a roll call featurette...

So...anyway, was this a good season? For starters, it was a short one: Only 17 episodes. But what episodes! Worth every minute! I won't spoil them for you though, whether you are an old fan who don't remember the show or someone who heard so much about it that are going to get the DVDs to watch the show for the first time.

Even if you aren't a Hill Street fan, you might want to pick this set just for the incredible guest star list... people that a few year later became real stars, with their own shows: Ken Olin (thirtysomething), David Caruso (NYPD Blue), Dwight Schultz (A-Team), Mimi Rogers (lots of things).

5.0 out of 5 stars Musings from the SALOON-DRO-MAT (thank you, J.D.), July 18, 2006
Grrrr "GWR" (East Coast,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
When this series was first on in the '80's, it was pre-VCR for me. I loved it so much that I carried a portable TV with me in the car (ran off the cigarette lighter) to be able to catch each episode up until it's finish because I had to be in work at the hospital at 11:00p.m., which was when HSB finished for the evening. Also because I was such a fanatic for the show, I made little notes in a pad about dialogue snippets, plot elements, etc.

Time passed and because I never saw the show in reruns, I mostly forgot about it, except for a vague memory that I loved it dearly.

Then Season One comes out on DVD and my love affair starts all over again!!! I've seen very few dramas that combine such superb writing, acting and editing skills as HSB. The characters are immortal and stay with you long after. If you're a fan from the original broadcast run like I was, you'll have a great time having your memory rejogged by all the teriffic supporting characters and situations from the first time you saw them.

I just finished Seasons 1 & 2 and I couldn't be happier with the extras included, the transfer quality and the more-than-reasonable price for one of my TOP TEN TV SHOWS OF ALL TIME!!!

Can't wait for Season #3!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hill Street Blues -- After all these years, still the greatest!, March 27, 2006
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
Like so many of you who have written reviews, I too have waited nearly 20 years for this release. I was 12 when I first got hooked on HSB and I have to admit that I was worried that it would not live up to all the praise I have heaped upon it over the years. Boy, was I surprised -- the show is even better than I remember! Of course, it helps that I now understand some of the jokes and innuendo that went over my head then.

The characters, the writing, the direction and the actors are all superb. Dan Travanti is still so compelling as the moral center of the show -- Frank Furillo's humility and humanity are so real that you cannot help but be drawn into the never-ending saga of the Hill Street precinct. Of course, his scenes with Veronica Hamel are shockingly steamy given that this was filmed in the early '80s. It is hard to believe that some of this stuff got past censors -- but thank God for Bochco -- he must have given them some headaches. Joyce Davenport was my hero -- such a strong female character, who obviously had good looks but did not rely upon them for her success. The seven-year development and evolution of the love story between Furillo and Davenport makes the relationship one that continues to resound today.

I could go on and on about all the characters that you will come to love if you watch this dvd -- Esterhaus, Hill and Renko (can you say those names separately?), LaRue and Washington, Bates and Coffey, Belker, and the others. The incredible writing and depth of these characters puts every show that is currently on television to shame. But they all owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to this ground-breaking show. When the West Wing won its fourth emmy and was being compared to Hill Street Blues, the producers of the West Wing didn't want anyone to make that comparison because the West Wing, as good as it is, is no Hill Street Blues.

As for the DVD, I too wish that Fox had made more of an effort in the production -- more commentary, liner notes and extras would be great. I hope for more as they release future seasons. Previously unseen footage or interviews would be great.

All in all -- this is 5 stars. If you somehow missed this in its first run, or were too young to watch -- give yourself a gift. You will watch the pilot and honestly, you will never be the same. I envy you the experience to watch this for the very first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I Get It, April 3, 2006
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
I was in college when Hill Street Blues originally aired, and I remember life in the dorm coming to a halt on Thursday nights because everyone wanted to watch it. I had never seen the show, so I didn't bother getting all worked up about it and usually found something else to do. Now, 25 years later, this set fell into my lap and I am happy to say that I finally understand what all the fuss was about. The one thing that strikes me is that when the end credits roll after each episode, I always look up at the clock because I can't believe it's over already. This is one of the most engaging shows I've ever seen and I highly recommend it to those who never experienced it the first time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! One of the Great Drama Series Ever!, December 4, 2005
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
Wow! My question is why did it take so long? You could get Beverly Hillbillys, Petticoat Junction, Space 1999, and God knows what other awful television shows now for years, but not this, perhaps the most groundbreaking dramatic series of the past twenty years. Sure, compared to The Sopranos, The Shield, Deadwood, and earlier, Homicide, and of course, NYPD Blue, this is pretty tame stuff. But put in the context of its time, and given that without it, the shows mentioned above wouldn't exist, the fact that Hill Street Blues may come across as a little dated does not alter one iota its brilliance. I still remember watching the first episode, the pilot, and my jaw dropping open in the opening, soon to become regular, moment of the show, the roll call, when Sgt. Esterhaus (the great Michael Conrad) asks the assembled morning shift to dispose of unauthorized weapons. And out come an assemblage of guns, knives, brass knuckles, etc., to make any law-and-order believing cop lover cringe. Two minutes into the series and you knew you weren't in the world of any cop show you'd ever seen before. You knew you were about to see realism, at least in the television sense of it, taken to places you'd never known. The multi-plots, the gritty documentary visual style, the overlapping dialogue ala Robert Altman, the diverse cast, the characters who were defined by the imperfections, the view of law enforcement as an imperfect system driven by forces like politics, the relationship between the primarily white police and the mostly black and brown people it served, all was fresh and new and startling. Few network shows, then and now, dared to take the chances this show did. It's about time that we get to revisit the Hill Street Precinct again and its wonderfully quirky cast of beleaguered cops and their infinitely complicated, alterantivey funny and tragic lives. A must see for anyone who cares about the best of what television as a serious dramatic medium can do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hill Street Blues, October 15, 2005
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
By far, one of the best "Cop" shows ever to hit the little screen. For those who have never seen these episodes the relelase of the VD first season can only be topped by the release of the remaining seasons so people can have this in their library of quality TV Cop shows. This series was the most True-To-Life action packed drama series that the current shows emulate today. The down time while on patrol, the paperwork and the personality clashes are more real than anything ever shown on TV. Glad to see it FINALLY has come to DVD. Let's remember......"Let's Be Careful Out There!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Great show shame about the DVD, March 27, 2006
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
As everyone else has said you can't fault the series itself the stories still hold up (even though it's a bit strange to see everyone having to use call boxes instead of cell phones).

However Fox should hang their heads in shame as to how shoddy this release is, firstly it's double sided DVD's which I can understand on some product that they're sure is going to sell low figures but HSB is one of the most requested DVD releases there is. So releasing double sided DVD's just seems to be a way for Fox to make as much profit as they can

Secondly the picture quality is pretty awful, was HSB recorded onto Video rather than film ? it certainly looks that way and Fox have spared every expense in-order to bring a cleaned up picture.

Hopefully this is just a result of the series having such an underwhelming debut and that as the series gained more popularity later episodes moved to better quality stock and the picture does improve

That said, a great series and I look forward to Season 2

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!!, December 28, 2005
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
Well, what can I say that's not already been said about this terrific show....The only tv programme thats ever had me in tears....you get so involved with the characters....I'm now a police officer in London and this show still depicts what life is like as a police officer....Here's hoping Fox bring out the whole series, please!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great classic to make the ranks!, October 15, 2005
This review is from: Hill Street Blues - Season 1 (DVD)
Oh THANK HEAVEN!!!!! Another great to watch whenever we want. I remember it being part of the "original" must see TV Thursdays. This is by far the best cop show that set the stage for other great dramas even if they aren't or weren't cop shows. The thing that made this show such a huge success was the fact that even though it was a drama, it also had realism and it had its funny moments. You could take a likeing not just for one character, but the entire cast. Hey, and remember, "Let's Be Careful Out There."

Hill Street Blues - Season 1
Hill Street Blues - Season 1 by Robert C. Thompson (DVD - 2006)
$33.88