Hillbilly Impact Shorts
|Price:||$43.96 - $188.37|
|Sale:||Lower price available on select options|
- Great hip and tailbone protection for all action sports including skateboarding, longboarding, skiing, snowboarding, and mountain biking.
- Features lightweight 8mm EVA foam padding, hard shell plastic tail bone protector, and breathable mesh fabric.
- Drawstring for extra secure fit.
- Sizing Chart: Extra Small = 24"-28" waist, Small = 29-34" waist, Medium = 35-39" waist, Large = 40"-44" waist
- Recommended fit should be snug to prevent pads from moving upon impact.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
I started skating with my kid to get in shape, but when big and tall guys fall, they get hurt! I trolled around various hip and butt protectors but found nothing for above a size 38 or 40 waist. I'm a 44.
Enter these Hillbilly Butt Pads. I wasn't hopeful, but did some digging to try and find a sizing chart. Well, here it is from the manufacturer MBS Mountainboards. Find them at:
doubleu doubleu doubleu . MBS . C 0 M (don't you love how they try to wipe out all website links?)
Here's the sizing chart from their online store
" Sizing Chart:
X Small: 27-31 inch waist
Small: 32-36 inch waist
Med: 37-41 inch waist
Large: 42-46 inch waist
We recommend that hip pads fit a bit tight as it is important for the pads to not move around when riding or during a crash.
I can attest that I fit pretty well with their Large size. And the padding seems to be pretty comprehensive, enough to save my... butt.
And yes, they're black, not that odd "visible man" exposed muscle red color in the pics above.
I asked my: kid to kick me, and he was happy to oblige. I didn't feel a thing. This must be what Batman feels like all suited up!
** Edit 6/10/2011** after several weeks of skate class and session skating, these pads have saved me from several falls, some from full stand up height. I've always been able to get right back into the action, and have never had even so much as any soreness afterward. Well worth the investment!
** Edit 4/17/2012** I've heard that MBS Mountainsports has posted a different sizing charge on their website which appears to be wrong. The one I'd originally posted from their web store about a year ago is still valid/correct. See comments on the review for details.
pros: price, padding, tail shield, comfortable
cons: bulky...requires sizing up a pants size, undetachable padding, misrepresented armadillo colored shorts in example image
They run very large. Normally I'm either XL or XXL in most butt pads, but I take L in these. Also, as others have mentioned, they're blacker than the photo depicts. Lastly, the fabric under the padded parts is see-through mesh, so be ready to wear opaque tights or shorts underneath.
If you like looking vaguely like Godzilla or a hand grenade on the track, these pads also look pretty cool. I feel like someone from Mad Max every time I gear up nowadays.
A couple of points to add to other reviews:
1) Activities with your hips markedly flexed such as mountain biking, can produce some binding of padding where your hip flexes. But for activites with hips more extended such as snowboarding, they are very comfortable. Not a deal breaker, just be aware of this if your primary use will be BMX/mountain biking.
2) The padding is creased so it does better for protection against blunt objects (such as the ground) than it does for sharp objects (such as rock edges or tree limbs). Obviously, the creasing is needed for flexibility, but just be aware of the limitations of protecting against sharper objects vs blunt objects.
Even with the above limitations, I would buy them again in a heartbeat.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
im 6.1 tall and weigh 220...i ordered a size Large..havent used them yet but the fit is ok i can wear them under my shorts i live in mexico and they were delivered a day ahead of... Read morePublished 5 days ago by larry
This is a comparison review, as I bought three different padded shorts (the three I could get on Prime) to see which I liked best. Read morePublished 6 days ago by Dan
Great protection. I'm a 33 waist and the small fit with room to spare. Almost loose but not. Wear it under my jeans. Well made.Published 11 days ago by john e spielmann
I started snowboarding last year at the age of 35. My first day out I was completely ruined from top to bottom, but especially in my knees and backside. Read morePublished 18 days ago by Tashtego
I have been using it over a year (one winter season) for ice skaitng. These shorts protect me well from hiting huckle-bone and sacrum.Published 20 days ago by Paul Gavrilenko
Amazing buy for a snowboarder. Great protection, not extremely bulky and ergonomic. Keeps you warm sitting on the slopes w/o interfering w/ your natural physiology. Read morePublished 21 days ago by Michaela Dimitrov