5.0 out of 5 stars Well, my cats love it.
Published on January 16, 2012 by Nee Montgomery

2.0 out of 5 stars My cat needs this diet
This product is $67 after shipping for 24 cans... for that price you can buy 40 cans at PetSmart with a Rx
Published 7 months ago by Sarah White

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, my cats love it., January 16, 2012
This review is from: Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare with Chicken Feline 5.5oz 24 cans (Misc.)
Yes, it is expensive, but we have 3 cats, and when one of the neutered males almost died from urinary tract blockage, we were willing to try it. After he came home from the hospital (3 day stay-- don't ask the cost) we started feeding him this cat food. The vet said it would be good for our other two cats, as well. The male who had gotten sick had a history of doing his business outside the box, and we thought it was just bad behavior. He and the other cats now get 1/3 can twice a day, and they just LOVE it. The minute the can is open they circle and meow -- then dig in and eat it all. We also give them a little Hills prescriptive dry during the day, which they eat a little of, but nothing like the cans. Their coats are more lustrous, and no more going outside the litter box. The draw back is the price, and availability, but the price of one sick cat outstrips the difference. Obviously, not all cats have the same taste, but, if this is prescribed for your cat, you might want to give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hills Prescription Diet S/D and C/D Saved my cat, February 14, 2014
If your cat is having problems peeing due to stones, this is the answer. Take your cat into the vet A.S.A.P. the vet will give him or her a shot and buy you a case of Hills prescription S/D and feed your cat only this for 6 to 8 weeks or whatever your vet recommends. After that get your cat on Hills Prescription C/D and keep them on it. My cat likes the Fish Flavor better in the soft canned C/D than the chicken. I also feed him C/D regular hard food. He likes the combination. When feeding your cat the S/D I recommend not getting the hard food version and stick with only the canned because it is wet and it will help dissolve the stones quicker I believe.

I also recommend training your cat to drink out of the faucet, get a screw on drinking fountain that attaches to your faucet, leave a nice thin stream of water running at all times. if he or she cannot get up on the counter to get to the sink, build him or her steps or something to jump on to get up and down. If that doesn't work get a cat drinking fountain made out of porcelain or at least metal. stay away from plastic. Always feed your cats out of glass bowls for water and water. Plastic isn't any good.

Keep and eye on your cat if he or she is straining get them to the VET like right now, don't wait. It could be the difference between life and death. Feel your cats stomach if it's bulged or hard not a good sign.

2.0 out of 5 stars My cat needs this diet, January 25, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Inconvienent, expensive and possibly not worth it, June 14, 2011
I absolutely HATE that I need a prescription to buy this cat food. My vet wants me to buy from them of course, at about a 20% mark-up. PetSmart is cheaper, but I still need to get a script from my vet. I have 3 cats, one of which needs this food. Now, I say that it is possibly not worth it... The cat that needs it has had 2 severe bladder stones that were painful and cost a fortune to remove. This diet is low in magnesium, which is primarily what the stones are made from. Since she has been on this diet, we have had no problems and I trust that the low magnesium diet is working. However, the amount of magnesium is less than 0.052% according to Hill's website. I have found other canned food that is for bladder health and their amounts are less than 0.02%. My vet says "Oh no, you must keep her on the Hill's diet". I am thinking that this is simply lobbying by Hill's through my vet, like any drug corporation for people. So am I wasting a ton of money? This other brand (Safeway Priority Total Pet Care) costs 40 cents per can, and this (Hill's) costs 1.50 per can, and doesn't include the shipping.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why so expensive online?, February 14, 2014
I buy this from my vet for ~$45 per 24 cans (1 case). I usually pick up 2 cases (48 cans) at a time and it's just under $90. I was shocked when I saw the price of this online. Thought I'd save a few dollars online, but it's quite the opposite.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully, It Will Help., July 24, 2010
Gary Peterson (San Diego, California USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
We have two cats. Both are neutered males. They're really good household companions, except that one of them has a propensity toward urinary infections and had one rather expensive ($700) urinary blockage. The latest episode cost only $170. In the last two times, the Vet has prescribed an antibiotic plus Hill's Prescription Diet Cat food (C/D) and we picked it up at the Vet's office once and at Petco the second time.

Here's my reactions. First, this is expensive cat food. Second, the cats don't particularly like it. Third, we almost have to feed it to both cats, although one has no problem. What else could you do? Another annoying factor is that we have to have a Vet's prescription to get it and it has to be on file with the store. Isn't this carrying the game a little far? In any case, we love our two cats and will try to get the one through this infection as well as possible. I might add that we have no way to test the effectiveness of this product. The cat is better, but we were also prescribed an antibiotic and my inclination is to think that this medication is the real reason for the improvement.

Gary Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving my cat's life, May 17, 2014
I have 3 cats - 2 females & one male(with FUTD). Had him in for emergency cath, bladder flush, antibiotics, pain meds etc 4 times in a 2 week period (to the tune of $1600+ all told) and one time he died on the table but fortunately the Vet was able to save him. Once we got his issue under control with the Hill's s/d food, the Vet put him on the c/d food & he's had no problems since (it's been well over a year now). Since the other 2 don't need this food, I feed them regular cat food & to solve the problem, I feed the 2 females in one room, away from the male, & he gets his c/d food in another room. As soon as they finish eating, I just pick up the bowls - that way if a little is left behind none of them can get into the other's food. It's a little bit of a hassle feeding them separately & picking up the bowls as soon as they are done but it's much cheaper than feeding all 3 with the expensive c/d food that 2 of them don't need to be on ... and it's preventing the formation of the crystals, which is saving my boy kitty's life! There may be other less expensive food on the market that MIGHT work for controlling/preventing crystal formation, but if someone wants to try it, I would say read the ingredients very carefully to make sure it matches up to the Hill's c/d ingredients before buying it. It's your cat's life you're messing with. The Hill's c/d WORKS and I believe in the philosophy if it ain't broke don't fix it, so I'm sticking with the Hill's c/d for my FUTD kitty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work, July 24, 2014
I mixed this with PetAlive UTI-Free medicine and it worked. Since her illness, my cat would not go in the litter box at all to urinate. It was a relief to see that changed. Not sure if it's b/c of the food or the PetAlive, but it worked. I just finished a case of this, so I am going to switch her to regular wet food now. I read an article elsewhere that this food should only be used temporarily. We'll see how it goes. My only gripe about it- it smells really really really awful.

5.0 out of 5 stars They all love it and no more bladder stones, September 4, 2014
One of my cats had bladder stones, so I started them all on Prescription Hill c/d. They all love it and no more bladder stones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sadly too expensive BUT it works!!, January 14, 2013
Denise Boyd (Port Huron, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Unfortunately, I have had quite a bit of experience with cats who are plagued with this condition. I have found that most cats who need this food need it for the rest of their lives... But WHY does it have to be SO EXPENSIVE and so hard to get?? It's cat food NOT a narcotic. My current kitty cat does NOT love the taste of it but has accepted it and eats it (the dry kind) readily enough. Of course he prefers the canned. I found that antibiotics alone are not a long term answer. If they begin to eat "regular" cat food again they eventually get sick again once they are off the antibiotics. The least expensive place I have found to buy it IS through our small town vet. They sell it for less than anywhere I have found online. I pay $27.00 for the 8.5 lb bag which lasts my large (15 lb) male cat a month and a half to two months. Very worth it to me to have my cat healthy. I gave it 4 stars because most importantly it does work. The apparent lack of flavor and the high cost are why I didn't give it a 5 star rating.

Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare with Chicken Feline 5.5oz 24 cans
$56.99
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.
Rate and Discover Movies