Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

on January 16, 2012
Yes, it is expensive, but we have 3 cats, and when one of the neutered males almost died from urinary tract blockage, we were willing to try it. After he came home from the hospital (3 day stay-- don't ask the cost) we started feeding him this cat food. The vet said it would be good for our other two cats, as well. The male who had gotten sick had a history of doing his business outside the box, and we thought it was just bad behavior. He and the other cats now get 1/3 can twice a day, and they just LOVE it. The minute the can is open they circle and meow -- then dig in and eat it all. We also give them a little Hills prescriptive dry during the day, which they eat a little of, but nothing like the cans. Their coats are more lustrous, and no more going outside the litter box. The draw back is the price, and availability, but the price of one sick cat outstrips the difference. Obviously, not all cats have the same taste, but, if this is prescribed for your cat, you might want to give it a try.
1313 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2014
I buy this from my vet for ~$45 per 24 cans (1 case). I usually pick up 2 cases (48 cans) at a time and it's just under $90. I was shocked when I saw the price of this online. Thought I'd save a few dollars online, but it's quite the opposite.
on May 17, 2014
I have 3 cats - 2 females & one male(with FUTD). Had him in for emergency cath, bladder flush, antibiotics, pain meds etc 4 times in a 2 week period (to the tune of $1600+ all told) and one time he died on the table but fortunately the Vet was able to save him. Once we got his issue under control with the Hill's s/d food, the Vet put him on the c/d food & he's had no problems since (it's been well over a year now). Since the other 2 don't need this food, I feed them regular cat food & to solve the problem, I feed the 2 females in one room, away from the male, & he gets his c/d food in another room. As soon as they finish eating, I just pick up the bowls - that way if a little is left behind none of them can get into the other's food. It's a little bit of a hassle feeding them separately & picking up the bowls as soon as they are done but it's much cheaper than feeding all 3 with the expensive c/d food that 2 of them don't need to be on ... and it's preventing the formation of the crystals, which is saving my boy kitty's life! There may be other less expensive food on the market that MIGHT work for controlling/preventing crystal formation, but if someone wants to try it, I would say read the ingredients very carefully to make sure it matches up to the Hill's c/d ingredients before buying it. It's your cat's life you're messing with. The Hill's c/d WORKS and I believe in the philosophy if it ain't broke don't fix it, so I'm sticking with the Hill's c/d for my FUTD kitty.
on January 25, 2014
This product is $67 after shipping for 24 cans... for that price you can buy 40 cans at PetSmart with a Rx
on November 14, 2014
My neutered male of 5 yrs almost died twice from blockage. He was at the vet for days both times. Outrageous bill but saved my cats life.
Doc insisted I get this food. He's been fine ever since and I will feed him nothing else. All the cats love it and no more vet bills from urinary problems.
on May 7, 2014
I don't buy my cat's c/d online, I purchase it from my vet, but I swear by this food. I have both of my cats on it and they love it. My neutered male cat became plugged almost 2 years ago and since switching him to this food he has had no blockage/uti issues whatsoever. It is an expensive diet, but I would rather buy this food than have to watch my cat go through that surgery again. If you're contemplating this diet, I highly recommend it!
on April 4, 2015
My cat has a problem with formation of crystals on his urinary tracts.
His vet prescribed cd diet and his condition was not getting better, then he switched to 250 mg of vitamin C twice per day. He has been free of crystals for almost 4 years now.
I feed him 9 lives and a piece of meat or fish with each meal + 1 pill of 250 mg of vitamin C twice a day.
Sometimes ago I added to his diet some treats and frisky and the problem was coming back.
I don't know if it was caused by treats or by frisky, but after eliminating both from his diet he came back again to perfect health.
on January 14, 2013
Unfortunately, I have had quite a bit of experience with cats who are plagued with this condition. I have found that most cats who need this food need it for the rest of their lives... But WHY does it have to be SO EXPENSIVE and so hard to get?? It's cat food NOT a narcotic. My current kitty cat does NOT love the taste of it but has accepted it and eats it (the dry kind) readily enough. Of course he prefers the canned. I found that antibiotics alone are not a long term answer. If they begin to eat "regular" cat food again they eventually get sick again once they are off the antibiotics. The least expensive place I have found to buy it IS through our small town vet. They sell it for less than anywhere I have found online. I pay $27.00 for the 8.5 lb bag which lasts my large (15 lb) male cat a month and a half to two months. Very worth it to me to have my cat healthy. I gave it 4 stars because most importantly it does work. The apparent lack of flavor and the high cost are why I didn't give it a 5 star rating.
We have two cats. Both are neutered males. They're really good household companions, except that one of them has a propensity toward urinary infections and had one rather expensive ($700) urinary blockage. The latest episode cost only $170. In the last two times, the Vet has prescribed an antibiotic plus Hill's Prescription Diet Cat food (C/D) and we picked it up at the Vet's office once and at Petco the second time.

Here's my reactions. First, this is expensive cat food. Second, the cats don't particularly like it. Third, we almost have to feed it to both cats, although one has no problem. What else could you do? Another annoying factor is that we have to have a Vet's prescription to get it and it has to be on file with the store. Isn't this carrying the game a little far? In any case, we love our two cats and will try to get the one through this infection as well as possible. I might add that we have no way to test the effectiveness of this product. The cat is better, but we were also prescribed an antibiotic and my inclination is to think that this medication is the real reason for the improvement.

Gary Peterson
2727 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2011
I absolutely HATE that I need a prescription to buy this cat food. My vet wants me to buy from them of course, at about a 20% mark-up. PetSmart is cheaper, but I still need to get a script from my vet. I have 3 cats, one of which needs this food. Now, I say that it is possibly not worth it... The cat that needs it has had 2 severe bladder stones that were painful and cost a fortune to remove. This diet is low in magnesium, which is primarily what the stones are made from. Since she has been on this diet, we have had no problems and I trust that the low magnesium diet is working. However, the amount of magnesium is less than 0.052% according to Hill's website. I have found other canned food that is for bladder health and their amounts are less than 0.02%. My vet says "Oh no, you must keep her on the Hill's diet". I am thinking that this is simply lobbying by Hill's through my vet, like any drug corporation for people. So am I wasting a ton of money? This other brand (Safeway Priority Total Pet Care) costs 40 cents per can, and this (Hill's) costs 1.50 per can, and doesn't include the shipping.