5.0 out of 5 stars Obese/overweight cat? Do your research!
Published 18 months ago by Jill B. Stuart

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Think this is making my cats sick
We have two five-year old cats that have been fed Hill's Science Diet almost exclusively since they were adopted as kittens. About two weeks ago, we bought a new large bag of the Adult Light variety they have been eating for four years. We noticed it looked a little darker and greasier - the "new and improved" formula -- but didn't think much of it. Within a few...
Published 3 months ago by GeorgiaPeach

5.0 out of 5 stars Obese/overweight cat? Do your research!, October 22, 2012
This is a really good choice for a nutritionally sound, lower calorie food, and our cat (admittedly not picky) immediately devoured it. But the real message here is: you need to find out how many kcal/day your cat needs for weight loss, research the calories in your cat's food, and accurately measure your feeding. There do not appear to be industry standards for what's labeled as 'weight management', 'light' etc., and the differences are dramatic!

Our very young and energetic cat starting piling on weight from when he was a kitten. Maybe he stuffs himself because he's a 'rescue'--I don't know whether he might have had some starvation in his early weeks that marked him for life! but we had to put him on adult food before his kitten year was up, on the advice of our veterinarian--and he went on to gain weight up to almost 20 lb. even when giving the recommended daily amount of food, measured, divided into 2 daily feedings.

We decided to switch from a Purina Pro Plan regular adult formula to their 'weight management' formula--still, kitty was gaining. When I finally did the research of how many kcal/day he should be getting and how many kcal we were giving him (mind you--the recommended, measured amount), I was shocked. The packaging recommends 56-84 g./day of the food for weight loss, for a cat with a goal weight of 10-14 lbs. That's 214-321 calories, measured by their own nutrition information. But my research at [...] showed that the recommended amount should be 187 calories/day for weight loss, for a goal weight of 10-12 lb. That means the *minimum* amount recommended by the Purina label was 27 more calories/day than he should be getting--or 14% more! and the maximum 'recommended' amount was 72% more than he should be getting for weight loss.

[...] has a publication with calorie counts/cup of a wide variety of cat food: [...]
The range of calories/up is staggering. Anyone with an overweight cat--do your cat a favor and research how many calories/day they *should* be getting, and how many calories the 'recommended' amount that you're feeding actually is.

After finding out how much of the Pro Plan Weight Management per day to offer, I thought our problems were over--I started giving him a daily amount with the right calories for weight loss. And he did start losing, at a slow but safe rate: about .2 lb/week. But he was constantly, frantically hungry. I looked further, for a nutritionally sound food that could give him more volume and fill him up while still not exceeding the calories he would need for weight loss. With the help of [...] for nutritional ratings, and the calorie chart on [...], I selected Science Diet Light--with approximately 75% of the calories per cup compared to the Purina Pro Plan. I can now give him 9g/day more, and I think the higher fiber content of this food will help him feel more full. While it does cost more than his previous food, the difference is not going to break the bank--I estimate it will cost me $4 more per month.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped my cat lost weight - vet's orders!, September 10, 2013
Our veterinarian told us that our cat must slim down by about 3-4 pounds. This food did the trick very quickly, and our cat stopped whining in hunger - it satiated him really well and he really loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars molly likes it, November 5, 2011
This review is from: Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Cat Food, 4-Pound Bag (Misc.)
arrived really fast very happy with it. and molly really likes it. and yuna wants to try it to. so very happy and it also was seal up well thank you seller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, healthy food for my cat, but he's gaining weight? lol, February 5, 2014
Our cat, Max, loves this food and we feel good feeding it to him because it is a good formula. However, not sure what is going on, but we fill his PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Toy and Food Dispenser with his allotted 1/2 cup a day portion and he's a little chubby. Maybe we need to cut back on what Hill's suggests for his weight? He's a 3 legged cat, so we certainly don't want him to be overweight and put more strain on his hip...

5.0 out of 5 stars My fat cat is losing weight and loves this stuff!, August 20, 2013
Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Cat Food, 17.5-Pound Bag
Company:
Hill's Pet Nutrition via Amazon Prime

Price:
$33.29 (17.5 lb)

Would would buy this:
Anyone who's looking to help their cat drop weight or maintain healthy weight. I have three cats. One of them will not stop eating, he's VERY fat. We finally took him to the vet and was told he has Type II Diabetes and that he has to drop weight. The vet told me I could buy the $80+ bag from him, or buy Hill's Science Diet Light. I'm happy to report that he's trimming down and is visibly happier.

Pros:
* 7lbs for $21 or jump up to 17.5lbs for $33 which is a great value * Received the nod of approval from my vet * The cat who's been eating it is slimmer and much happier

Cons:
* None

Value for the money:
Compared to the $80 (smaller) bag the vet could offer me, this is a LOT less expensive. High value in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great diet food for a cat and works great with SuperFeeder automatic pet feeder, August 7, 2013
This is a good food for the Superfeeder pet feeder. The size is very consistent and makes it easy for an automatic feeder to process.

Initially my cat did not like the taste of this food when switching from meow mix, but now he loves it. We have also put him on a slight diet as the recommended feeding chart on the side of the bag gives a range of quantities to feed your cat based on their ideal weight. The cat does not like that part.

It is pretty expensive, but worth it. Since starting to eat this food, my cat has had an improvement in his coat and color. He is, however, still very lazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats love it, July 15, 2013
My cats transitioned from Iams Weight Control formula to this Hill's Science Dight Light without any complaints. They seem to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality food and cats have lost weight, July 10, 2013
I needed a low fat food for one cat (pancreatitis) and a low ash food for another (kidney stones) and a low fat food for a third (overweight). This food was all three. They like it. I feed them a quarter cup twice daily, and they have slimmed down. This food is pricier than what you'd get in the supermarket, but I am impressed by the quality ingredients -- and the results!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it but our cat loves it!, July 1, 2013
Our cat is a strictly indoor cat with a reasonable amount of physical activity but not nearly as much activity as an outdoor cat. So she needs a lighter diet. This food is great for her and was recommended by a vet. She is about 6 years old and has eaten this food for about four years. She is very healthy and I attribute that in large part to her diet, this food. I have always purchased the food from a vet and decided to try Amazon for one purchase. I was a bit reluctant to try Amazon for pet food as I was not sure just how much pet food they sold and it might not be as fresh. I was pleasantly surprised that from Amazon it was even fresher than from the vet's store. Great cat food and we will now purchase all of our pet food from Amazon. I highly recommend this for your cat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophie and Jascha love this cat food!!, June 10, 2013
I wanted to get away from canned cat food,and decided to try a new dry food.This is the best cat food you can buy,IMHO. Both of my cats nearly knocked me down when I was doling out their food.
It's been a couple of weeks,and they are still scarfing it down happily.

ARRAY(0xd859e0b4)