5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else works
Published on May 7, 2011 by Natalie Dawn

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware - Potential Choking Hazard
I believe that people need to be aware of the fact that the kibble size of the Adult Oral Care Dry Cat Food is VERY large and presents a potential choking hazard to their pets. I transitioned my cat to this food from the Science Diet kitten formula when he was about 15 months old. From day one, I thought that the kibble size was abnormally large for cat food. I've had...
Published on June 19, 2011 by azcatlover

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else works, May 7, 2011
I understand all the complaints about Science Diet. Believe me I avoided this food for quite awhile based on that information. I'm not thrilled about the filler, would prefer a food with no by-products, and yes in general think it is over priced. But my cat was throwing up everything else. And I do mean EVERYTHING else. I have tried so many top of the line foods for him and every single one he threw up. I took him to the vet, had all the xrays done, all the blood work done, put him on antibotics just in case... nothing. He is a perfectly healthy cat except that he was throwing up food 2 to 3 times a week. I talked to my mom who had 2 Siamese cats that lived into thier late teens and she said she fed them Science Diet. In fact, one of them had urninary tract problems and the SD was the only food that stopped his problems. So yes, I understand everything everyone is saying about why SD is so horrible... yet I can't argue with the results. I fed my cat this and it's been 3 weeks with no vomiting. My mom fed it to her cats and they lived long, healthy lives. I just can't argue with the results. And even if there were risks it's worth it not to have my poor kitty completely emptying his stomach 2-3 times a week from food that is making him sick. If your cat keeps throwing up, you've had the vet check him and there is nothing wrong and no other food is working... try this food. It really did work for my cat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but it worked!, January 30, 2011
Mawrtyr (Atlanta, GA, USA) - See all my reviews
I took in a foster cat almost one year ago and have tried almost everything to rid him of diarrhea. The vets were unable to diagnose any parasite or physical problems, and his behavior has always appeared happy and healthy. The vets said it could be a food allergy, so I began trying different foods. A couple of months ago, I bought SD Sensitive Stomach. I had been reluctant because of the ingredients - I strive to avoid foods with "meal" of any kind - as well as the price ($40 for 15.5 lbs). After a year, five other foods and several supplements, though, I was desperate. Sensitive Stomach did the trick. There was a noticeable difference within a few weeks, and the stools are completely normal now. His weight gain has been constant regardless of food, so I do not attribute that to the Science Diet brand.

The drawback is that my other two cats prefer this food to their original brand, so it's quite expensive for three cats. The other two have not gained weight with this product, and their appetite does not appear to have increased at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for pukey cat, March 19, 2011
My cat was born in August 2001, so he's almost 10 years old. Three years ago he started to throw up quite frequently. The vet ran tons of VERY EXPENSIVE tests and for the most part ruled out anything that can be treated. We tried changing food but nothing worked. I tried giving him home cooked food as well and that made throwing up even worse. So one day I was in a pet store and the clerk said he had the same problem with his cat and suggested the MOST EXPENSIVE FOOD IN STORE. I was skeptical but I had nothing to lose (but money). Three years later my cat is doing fantastic. He only throw up when I feel bad for him and give him tuna as a pity treat. He's healthy, bouncy and seems to enjoy food. The big bag lasts us for ever. We bought a bag on November 5th and today again on March 19. That's 4+ months for $40 (which is how much the bag costs in pet store). I think I can afford $10/month for my buddy. I have no idea what's in there and I don't really care. All I care is that my cat looks happy and healthy. Food purists who believe in feeding cat organic chicken and brown rice might not care for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but trust your vet not the hype, December 22, 2010
Jon (North Royalton, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
I have two cats, one 6 and one 2 years old. Both are indoor cats in excellent health. I saw the negative review and talked to my vet about it. I've also asked a number of veterinary professionals what to feed my cats and they all answer the same thing: Science Diet. Sure, you'll see stories of how one person's cat had issues, but even if that's 100% true, it's 1 case out of millions. Science and fact aren't based on someone's experience.

So my point is, I love my cats and I'm very concerned about their health. I trust people who actually have medical degrees and experience with a wide range of animals. My only caution is do not fall for some hype or scare tactic that recommends some unproven or untested food or some fad diet for your pet. Don't listen to me, don't listen to the negative review. ASK YOUR VET what they recommend, and follow their instructions. My guess is you'll end up buying the Science Diet anyhow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver if you have cats with digestive issues, February 25, 2013
S. M. Nappi (CT, United States) - See all my reviews
Okay - I am not a person who would ever think of spending this much money on a cat food but this stuff works! Let me set the stage - we invested in low-allergen kittens (Siberians) and after a few weeks, one started to show signs of, um, stomach distress. Well, it was distressing to all of us because the smell could CLEAR a room. It was AWFUL! While she was still gaining weight, I was forced to live with the terrible smell. After testing for parasites and other things, she came back with a clean bill of health but the smell and consistency (sorry) was still a problem. Our vet recommended we try this diet. I was willing to do ANYTHING. Let me tell you, after a few days, her poop resembled her sister's (NORMAL) with hardly any smell!!! Our noses thank Science Diet. Oh, and the cats LOVE the taste - we have had to be careful because they wolf it down and tend to eat more than their other food. If you have a cat with REALLY smelly poop - you may want to give this a try!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars oral care variety, July 7, 2013
I started using this food because my vet recommended it for my 7-year-old whose teeth need some love. Vet also recommended a fluoride, but you have to change the water for it every day and my cats avoid the water bowl with fluoride now so I skip it. My cat also does NOT put up with brushing his teeth, but he will eat this food, so it's what we do.

I like that this food comes in a resealable bag. Not good for the environment, but the bag is not paper, so my cats cannot shred through it to spill food everywhere, either.

Only thing I don't like is that the pieces are so big (and my cats are HUGE; biggest cat with teeth issues and the hungriest cat is 19 lbs). I think the point is that the cats have to break the pieces apart on their teeth, and that cleans them, but the issue is that my cats break the pieces apart, eat whatever didn't fall out of their mouth, and then move on to a new piece. At the end of the day, their bowl is full of these chewed apart bits that fell out of their mouth, and they won't eat them! It ends up wasting like 1/3 of the food. It might be saying more about my picky cats than anything else. "Oh, my bowl is full of bits instead of giant chunks! I will starve! Wake up and feeeeeed me!"

4.0 out of 5 stars My cats like this!, February 24, 2011
Since Frisky no longer makes those great little round balls of Dental Diet cat food, I had to go looking for something else. Science Diet seemed to be the only likley alternative. My cats liked the different size and texture of the round balls but in their infinite wisdom Frisky (the nitwits) decided there wasn't a market for the product any longer. Fat lot they know. Our three cats don't love this "dental diet cat food" as much at the round balls but they do eat it along with their other food. I buy only grain free Orijen and another dry cat food intended for indoor cats. Our cats enjoy the variety and it does seem to work. The Science Diet has an almost greasy coating on the surface but this seems to draw our cats to it. The size and shape forces them to chew it and this is good for their teeth. We have one cat that loves to swallow his cat food without chewing. How he does it when it's dry, I don't know! I believe that the larger size alone means healthier teeth and gums for our cats. Two of our cats (9 yrs old) are of a breed that is known to suffer from gum diease. They have healthy gums. I believe that a dental diet cat food helps to prevent gum disease....and the larger size provides variety to their diet that they enjoy. Not everything a cat eats has to be 100% certified good for them. Can you imagine if we always ate only healthy food! Boring! If you provide a good quality dry cat food, plenty of water (we use a fountain), routine exercise (play with them!) and a canned cat food as a treat now and then....you will have healthy and happy cats.

5.0 out of 5 stars My cat loves this cat food, January 15, 2011
My cat loves this cat food so much that we feed it to her as treats. She has a tendency to get underweight so we feed it to her pretty much on demand (which is frequently). I'd recomend it for fussy cats with tooth tartar problems (the chucks are larger than normal cat food and presumably help to clean their teeth when they crunch it). I usually buy the larger size for economy's sake, but this would be a better size to try out on your cat.

5.0 out of 5 stars my cats love it!, March 7, 2014
I have been using this for years, mixing it with my 3 cats regular food. After spending $300 on a teeth cleaning for 1 cat I figured there had to be something cheaper and easier than brushing their teeth. This cuts down on plaque TREMENDOUSLY and is $7 cheaper a bag than my pet store!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't live without this cat food, December 14, 2011
Have been using this cat food now for a few years after the vet recommended dental cleaning (very expensive & put them under anesthesia - no way!). Our cat is healthy and her teeth seem to be in good condition. She loves the taste and size. She won't eat any small food anymore (I have tried some samples) and actually eats all the Science Diet and leaves the small ones for me to discard. It's a bit pricey but I would recommend it.