5.0 out of 5 stars My 16 year old cat with no teeth eats this
I have two cats, one male and one female. Both are 16 years old.

Published on December 1, 2012 by M. Molinini

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars My cat can't even keep this food down!
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars My 16 year old cat with no teeth eats this, December 1, 2012
I have two cats, one male and one female. Both are 16 years old.

My male cat began having tooth problems due to his age and could no longer chew the normal dry cat food we used to buy, such as Meow Mix Seafood Medley, 14.2-Pound or Friskies Seafood Sensations Cat Food Dry (Formerly Ocean Fish Flavor) We began to feed him Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers, Salmon, 3-Ounce (Pack of 24), but evetually, the pain would come even if he wasn't eating.

We had to have all his teeth extracted. You would think that the only food he would be able to eat from then on would be canned soft food. However, the vet suggested we try to continue the dry food he was used to. According to the vet, cats that have their teeth extracted eventually accommodate themselves by gumming their food. So we tried this approach and found he couldn't gum the large pellets. Thus began the search for a smaller pellet dry cat food for adults.

It was actually an employee at PetSmart that led me to this Science Diet Age Defying Formula. It fit our little cat's need perfectly. The pellets are small, approximately 1/4 of an inch, which makes it so easy for him to pick up, gum, and swallow. Furthermore, having the age defying formula to feed to our age defying cats mades it worth the price. And furthermore, the female cat loves it too.

Both cats are happy. Both cats love this food. Both cats are healthy and still active. The male cat still plays like a kitten. They give it five stars.

If you have a cat that's over 11 years of age, it's time to spoil them rotten...even more than usual. Let them sleep where they want, play where they want, do what they want. And feed them the best food possible. They are worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I also am NOT a BZZ agent, February 18, 2012
This review is from: Hill's Science Diet Age Defying Senior 11 Plus Dry Cat Food Bag, 7-Pound (Misc.)
I just purchased this for my two kitties this past week. While they are still on the new food adjustment schedule, I have already noticed changes. My 11 year old male had developed a limp which the vet could only tell me to put him on a diet. The limp is gone. The 10 year old female is playing with her toys like crazy and so is the male. This food has made them much more social again. I even joked that it seemed like there was catnip in it. lol

4.0 out of 5 stars Only Senior Cat Food on the Market, October 20, 2011
DMC in DC (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I am a BzzAgent. I have three senior cats, and received a coupon for one small 3.5 lb bag of Hills Science Diet "Age Defying" dry cat food to share with them all, so unfortunately I cannot say this lasted four weeks. While there are certainly no negative observations about this food, I haven't noticed any major positive changes either, but have noticed slight positives changes and that's a good sign.

When I last had my senior cats checked for their annual appointment prior to receiving this food, the vet told me that they had all lost a lot of weight. I have been keeping tabs in their weight now and they all have gained some weight from this food, which is good.

My cats are picky at times, but they all took to the food right away. The small size kibble worked well and was easier for them to chew than most larger kibble cat foods.

Overall I will be trying this food for a longer length of time, as it seems to have benefited all of my older cats, and I also do not know of any other cat food on the market that is specifically designed to the needs of senior cats.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like...my cat doesn't so much, April 26, 2013
My cat is 15 and a half years old. This sounded like a good product to help extend his last years. The basic problem: Kevin doesn't like it. He will eat it but generally only when I'm not around or sound asleep and not up to get him something else. He prefers the "mature indoor dry cat food for 7+ y.o. cats." So I mix the two and it works better. I have for the most part stopped buying separate cat treats and use the 7+ as his daily "treat." He doesn't know the difference anymore and the difference between 7+ and the 11+ is noticeable to him. The 7+ is a true treat now.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars My cat can't even keep this food down!, March 26, 2014
My vet put one of my cats on the Hill's Prescription diet for urinary health (c/d) after discovering she had a bladder infection. So I looked on Amazon and found this Hill's Science Diet for Senior cats, and decided to get it for my other cats. A brand reccommended by vets? This MUST be good, right? My cat on the prescription diet was slowly transitioned to the new food as reccommended, and was doing fine until she starting eating 75% + of the new food. I woke up in the middle of the night to her vomiting up the kibble, and she continued to vomit and have dry heaves off and on most of the night. I thought maybe she just ate too much, too fast, so the next day I limited the amount she got at a time, and spread the food out so she couldn't inhale it. It didn't help. Every time she ate it, she threw it back up. My other cats were in the process of transitioning to the science diet senior, and one of them also started throwing up every time they tried to eat the food. Same company (Hill's), 2 different varieties of their food (prescription c/d, science diet senior plus), and 2 very sick kitties. I took the prescription diet back to my vet and they gave her the Royal Canin urinary health, which so far she is eating with no problems. My other cats went right back to the Earthborn Holistic food i had them on. I wish I never tried switching. I feed my akita Earthborn Holistic dog food which is rated 4.5 stars out of 5. The Hill's brand dog food is rated 2.5 stars... hmmm. Somehow I'm not surprised. This is obviously poor quality food posing as high end. Buyer beware!

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 27, 2014 12:51:40 PM PDT
Thank you for your comments! We are sorry to hear that this food did not work for your pets! If you still have the bag, we would like for you to contact our Consumer Affairs Department at 800-445-5777 so we can make a report.

For an unbiased review site, please visit http://www.petmd.com/cat/centers/nutrition/evr_multi_vetting_online_pet_food_rating_sites.

Thanks again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, October 8, 2013
My 15 yr old Bengal had lost all is pep. He was dragging and cranky all the time. His breath smelled and he wasn't grooming himself. He would swallow the holistic grain free stuff whole and then throw it up so the other cat couldn't eat it. He was losing weight and limping on the stairs. I looked for a new food and decided to try this since other people said it was easier to chew. He has been on this food for ONE WEEK. He is definitely stronger and arches his back when we pet him now, instead of collapsing down. He stands straighter. I went to clip his nails and all the caked on litter is gone. I used to wash his paws but he got really angry. He is gaining weight!
The biggest and most immediate benefit is that the litter box no longer smells! WOW!
I have tried many different brands of food, including Science Diet c/d and never had such a dramatic change. I am so happy to see our cat feeling so much better. It is just wonderful. I feel bad that he suffered so long on the other foods.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Round hard little rocks..., October 19, 2013
The bites are small, but are rock hard and cannot be eaten by my 17 year old cat. I even tried adding milk to the bites and he would not touch them.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 27, 2014 12:45:38 PM PDT
Thanks for your comments. We have recently gained access to respond to posts. That is certainly an unusual report. We are sorry to hear that this food was too hard for your cat. We are wondering if this is the first time you had fed this food or if this batch was abnormally hard. Typically the kibble should be fine for a 17 year old cat to enjoy!

Thanks for your post!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, March 4, 2014
We've fed both our 18 year old cats Science Diet since the day they were able to eat. I'm glad Science Diet finally makes food for Seniors 11+. I'm sad to say one of our cats, Vader, passed away last year (at almost 18 yrs old) but my other 18 year old cat, Magellan, now eats this & he seems to really like it (nice size bites). I've noticed a positive change in his mood, movement ability & energy level. I wish this had been available before my other cat, Vader, passed away (if it was I could not find it until about 4-5 months ago) because I think it may have helped him live longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cats acting like Kittens, September 9, 2011
S. Yates (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
I am a BzzAgent and I received a bag of Hill's Science Diet Senior Age Defying Dry Cat Food for free.I have 2 older cats. I introduced the new Science Diet Age Defying Cat food over 7 days, per new food introduction guidelines (see below). Immediately they were excited about the introduction of the new food. They have been on the new formula for 2 weeks. They seem to have a kitten spring in their steps. I had wanted to find an age formula food but was apprehensive about changing their food as they have been on the same cat food for the past 15 years. They totally love and come running when I pull out the bowls for feeding time. I feel great about this cat food and will continue to use it going forward.

New Food Introduction Guidelines
This food should be introduced to your cat slowly. The first couple of days they should eat 75% of their current cat food with 25% of the Science Diet cat food, on days 3 and 4 do 50/50. Days 5 and 6 25% current cat food, and 75% Science Diet Age Defying cat food. By day 7 they should be able to eat just the Science Diet 11+ age defying cat food.

About the Product
This Hill's Science Diet Senior Age Defying Dry Cat Food contains the ideal combination of ingredients to support your aging cat's overall health. The food is rich in flavor as well as amino acids and antioxidants to maintain healthy organs and defend the body and brain against aging. Restore peace of mind with the tailored nutrition your senior cat needs to thrive.
* For cats 11 years of age and older
* Fish oil promotes healthy brain and cognitive function
* L-Carnitine supports lean muscle mass
* Controlled levels of phosphorus, magnesium and sodium for optimal bladder health
* 11 essential amino acids help maintain healthy organs
* Antioxidants help defend the body and brain against aging and support a healthy immune system
* Rich in Omega-6 fatty acids to help promote soft skin and radiant coat

Availability
This food is available at Petco, Petsmart, and other pet stores. Science Diet 11+ Age Defying Cat food comes in three different sizes 3.5 lbs for $10, 7 lbs for $18, and 15.5 lbs for $33.
Go to Science Diet's web site today and you can get a coupon for $3.00 off and try it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Science Diet Age Defying works!, August 5, 2013
My indoor cat is 14 years old. About a year ago she started acting like an old lady. Not playing, sleeping all the time. The vet suggested I try Science Diet Age Defying. In just two weeks, she was running around the house, and continues to play like she did when she was very young. I was so delighted with this product, I sent a letter to Science Diet telling them how they gave me back my kitty. I received a very nice note from them in return. This is the only thing I feed my cat. She is happy. I am happy.

Hill's Science Diet Age Defying Senior 11 Plus Dry Cat Food Bag, 7-Pound