5.0 out of 5 stars dogs love it
Published on February 3, 2013 by shandelu

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars New formula in 2014 - will not buy again
Published 10 months ago by David Burns

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars New formula in 2014 - will not buy again, April 22, 2014
David Burns (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hill's Science Diet Adult Oral Care Dry Dog Food, 4-Pound Bag (Misc.)
My vet recommended this years ago and my dog was happy with it. Hill's changed the formula in April 2014 and the new version is much worse. The old version looked just like the bland kibble it was; the new version has brown streaks that seem to be intended to suggest gravy but just look artificial. It also smells bad; perhaps they are trying to appeal to owners with a browned-meat smell but again it seems artificial and false.

Since the switch my dog has been averse to the food, low in energy and spirit. It's a dramatic change which is especially unusual in a wire fox terrier. I'm switching him to a quality meat/rice kibble and he's already more energetic.

I cannot recommended feeding this stuff to your dog.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 6, 2014 1:16:49 PM PDT
Thanks for your post! Oral Care was relaunched as part of Science Diet's larger effort to provide products with more consumer friendly ingredients. Along with the existing oral technology benefits, these dry products will now offer:

Fresh chicken as the 1st ingredient
Best taste ever
No chicken by-product meal
Natural ingredients
No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
We are sorry that your dog did not like the reformulated food.

5.0 out of 5 stars dogs love it, February 3, 2013
Though you can use this as your dog's main diet, I use it as a healthy snack. I fill their bowl with dog food, then add several of these on top, as I am leaving for work. They love to run over to the bowl, get one, then run away with their prize! Keeps them busy and is a healthy snack, and keeps them occupied when I have left for work. ( I have dogs that share food well). My vet tells me it's is great for their teeth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dog Loves It..., December 31, 2012
We mix this food in with his regular food since it's pretty pricey. Our dog always picks out the chunks of this first and sometimes gives us a look like why isn't it all the good stuff? Apparently he has caviar dreams.

4.0 out of 5 stars My dog loves it!, January 1, 2014
My little shi tzuh loves this food! The kernels are big, but he seems to enjoy chomping on them and breaking them down. Not sure if it is really cleaning his teeth, but he is a picky dog, and always leaves food in his bowl. Not this one! The price is a bit high, so as other reviewers suggested, I mix it with other dog food.

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, January 3, 2014
Nay717 (Alabama, USA) - See all my reviews
I use this as a treat for my picky beagle. She is always happy to gobble a few chunks down thus cleaning her teeth. She has turned up her nose at the regular teeth cleaning treats I have offered her so I am glad to finally have found one she likes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loves the taste!, January 23, 2014
My 13 year old dog has been eating this for two years to knock off the tarter. Using this product with greenies has prevented him from having to have his teeth professionally cleaned.

5.0 out of 5 stars My dog loves this stuff!, November 21, 2013
My vet recommended this for my Yorkie because her teeth are terrible (like most yorkies). I wasn't sure if she'd like it because she's so small and the pieces are fairly large (bigger than a grape). She is very picky picky about food (won't eat most dog bones and many of the healthier dog foods) but she LOVES this stuff and isn't bothered at all by the size of the food. Its great to have found a food that she loves and is good for her.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Product changed in early 2014 -- kibble is now very hard and suspect to be very salty, May 30, 2014
After a few years of buying it, we noticed the formulation changed (early in 2014). Though the kernels are (to human noses) much less smelly, and our dog likes it, the kibble is now very very hard --we also suspect that the kibble is very salty, and have noticed that there is no sodium content shown. (Something important if your dog is in a low sodium diet due to health reasons).

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 8, 2014 12:55:50 PM PDT
Thanks for your comments! The formula did change in early 2014. The sodium content is slightly higher than the previous formula, however within the range considered to be a low sodium diet. We have forwarded your comments about the food being "very hard" to our QA dept.

Thanks again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dog loves it, but not an everyday food!!, May 12, 2013
Not a good choice for everyday food, but great to mix in with other food or to use as a treat. Brushing with a good doggy toothbrush is the only solution to ensuring your dog's dental health. This food will pack on the pounds, so beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5lb dog who eats this food UP! LOVE LOVE LOVE, February 18, 2015
Okay, seriously? Im not a big reviewer, but I HAD to write one about this food. I have a 5lb pomeranian named Cornuts. He is a pretty spoiled dog and too many people in his life feed him food (not me) so that he gets really picky about dog food I give him and will often not eat for days hoping to get human food.. :/. Anyway, he won't eat greenies so I started looking around for another alternative. and BOY DID I FIND IT!
First off let me say, this food is huge. When I got it I thought "how big could it be?" its really big. Its like the size of those oversized bubblegum balls you get in one of those machines. When I opened to bag (with a plastic velcro zip - INGENIUS, GUYS!! SO HANDY!) I actually laughed and thought he would never eat it....
The thing is, he totally loves it! and watching him eat it I can see how it is made to help scrub his teeth. He acts like every pellet is a treat. He takes it, goes to his "treat corner" and eats it, only to go back 10 times for more. I couldn't be happier with this food. His teeth are starting to look whiter and he seems to have more energy. I am ordering a bag to bring to my office and my boyfriends place and I will be telling everyone I know about it. YAHOO!!

Hill's Science Diet Adult Oral Care Dry Dog Food, 4-Pound Bag