Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 1, 2012
I have two cats, one male and one female. Both are 16 years old.

My male cat began having tooth problems due to his age and could no longer chew the normal dry cat food we used to buy, such as Meow Mix Seafood Medley, 14.2-Pound or Friskies Seafood Sensations Cat Food Dry (Formerly Ocean Fish Flavor) We began to feed him Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers, Salmon, 3-Ounce (Pack of 24), but evetually, the pain would come even if he wasn't eating.

We had to have all his teeth extracted. You would think that the only food he would be able to eat from then on would be canned soft food. However, the vet suggested we try to continue the dry food he was used to. According to the vet, cats that have their teeth extracted eventually accommodate themselves by gumming their food. So we tried this approach and found he couldn't gum the large pellets. Thus began the search for a smaller pellet dry cat food for adults.

It was actually an employee at PetSmart that led me to this Science Diet Age Defying Formula. It fit our little cat's need perfectly. The pellets are small, approximately 1/4 of an inch, which makes it so easy for him to pick up, gum, and swallow. Furthermore, having the age defying formula to feed to our age defying cats mades it worth the price. And furthermore, the female cat loves it too.

Both cats are happy. Both cats love this food. Both cats are healthy and still active. The male cat still plays like a kitten. They give it five stars.

If you have a cat that's over 11 years of age, it's time to spoil them rotten...even more than usual. Let them sleep where they want, play where they want, do what they want. And feed them the best food possible. They are worth it!
55 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2015
I echo the reviews from cat owners of older cats. My cat is 21 yrs old and is really starting to show her age. She sleeps 22 hrs a day, has some arthritis in the hips, her teeth are soft and if she was human she would have dentures! So at this age in her life my goal is to keep her happy and know she is loved. So one way I can do this let her eat what she wants and to this end her food must be easy to chew, and have moisture (as water is required to keep an aged cat from getting further kidney issues). This food provides that. I leave a bowl of this out for her to nibble on when she wants and I know she is getting nutrition.
So if you are the proud owner of an older feline - go for this food. The slight additional cost is all worth it!
review image
on February 18, 2012
I just purchased this for my two kitties this past week. While they are still on the new food adjustment schedule, I have already noticed changes. My 11 year old male had developed a limp which the vet could only tell me to put him on a diet. The limp is gone. The 10 year old female is playing with her toys like crazy and so is the male. This food has made them much more social again. I even joked that it seemed like there was catnip in it. lol
on October 20, 2011
I am a BzzAgent. I have three senior cats, and received a coupon for one small 3.5 lb bag of Hills Science Diet "Age Defying" dry cat food to share with them all, so unfortunately I cannot say this lasted four weeks. While there are certainly no negative observations about this food, I haven't noticed any major positive changes either, but have noticed slight positives changes and that's a good sign.

When I last had my senior cats checked for their annual appointment prior to receiving this food, the vet told me that they had all lost a lot of weight. I have been keeping tabs in their weight now and they all have gained some weight from this food, which is good.

My cats are picky at times, but they all took to the food right away. The small size kibble worked well and was easier for them to chew than most larger kibble cat foods.

Overall I will be trying this food for a longer length of time, as it seems to have benefited all of my older cats, and I also do not know of any other cat food on the market that is specifically designed to the needs of senior cats.
on July 1, 2014
Purchased this for the main reason of our senior cat's fur not looking as shiny and healthy as it had the previous year. She has long fur and it was beginning to mat even with regular brushing and she couldn't seem to keep up with the cleaning. We switched to this and as promised on the bag she had a healthier coat after going through one or two bags (we have another senior cat she shares with). Very happy to see the shine back in her coat and they both seem a little bit more bright eyed and active as well. We had tried to save a little bit of money with a different brand, but it wasn't worth it. Plus, with Subscribe and Save on this item the cost isn't bad and it is nice to get it delivered to our door on a regular basis - no running out for cat food. I do recommend at least giving it a try!
on October 8, 2013
My 15 yr old Bengal had lost all is pep. He was dragging and cranky all the time. His breath smelled and he wasn't grooming himself. He would swallow the holistic grain free stuff whole and then throw it up so the other cat couldn't eat it. He was losing weight and limping on the stairs. I looked for a new food and decided to try this since other people said it was easier to chew. He has been on this food for ONE WEEK. He is definitely stronger and arches his back when we pet him now, instead of collapsing down. He stands straighter. I went to clip his nails and all the caked on litter is gone. I used to wash his paws but he got really angry. He is gaining weight!
The biggest and most immediate benefit is that the litter box no longer smells! WOW!
I have tried many different brands of food, including Science Diet c/d and never had such a dramatic change. I am so happy to see our cat feeling so much better. It is just wonderful. I feel bad that he suffered so long on the other foods.
on September 21, 2014
My cat is 16.5 and has stomach and bladder issues. I have been trying him on different senior foods for several years and he either doesnt like them or they make him sick. This does neither. I also notice him having more energy and eating more than he has been.
I dont think this is a miracle food or anything, but it is the best sr food I have found and amazon has it the cheapest. For others with senior cats - i give him salmon oil mixed in with his wet food - and I think that is part of him perking up also.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on May 2, 2014
This might be could food. But my 16 year old cat (for whom I bought this for) will not eat it. I got this because other reviewers has said that their old cat that had also lost their teeth would eat this so I decided to give t a try as we are having problems getting him to eat. When I first got it and opened the bag he seem excited about it and did eat some two different times after that he would eat it anymore.
It might be a good product but with my experience with it an my old cat., that is why I only gave it 2 stars.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We are sorry to hear that your 16 year old cat did not care for this food. We were not able to tell if you were able to do a 7-10 day transition from his old food to the Age-Defying food. Sometimes this is very helpful to help cats get used to the new flavor and ingredients. We also have canned food available in many flavors which may be good for a cat who has lost her teeth.
If this food still does not work for your cat, please contact Amazon regarding their return policy!
Thanks for your post!
on August 16, 2014
I've always fed my cat (now 15 years old) Purina Cat Chow Indoor because he has always liked the smaller pieces.. he won't even eat tuna or wet cat food! (he is a very finicky eater!). But lately, I have been reading up on age-specific cat food and the benefits it provides, so I decided to give this one a try based on some of the other reviews I read. In the last few weeks, he has been eating without any problems, and I didn't even have to transition him, he loves it! The small pieces are great for older cats, I would definitely recommend!
on February 24, 2013
My cat Nick is 17yo and was starting to get very sleepy and unenthused. So I bought this even though I didn't want to spend the money. The difference after a few days was remarkable. He's happier, fiestier, his coat is plush, he plays way more, grooms, eats and poops more vigorously. I don't view this food as expensive any more.