Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Flavor Name: Gourmet BeefSize: 5.5-OunceChange

on August 4, 2013
I have purchased this food on and off for many years but with owning 6 or more cats, price rules.
Now having only 2, a 15 year old and a 1 year old, I buy it buy the case. Within just a week, I could
feel the difference in my cat's fur; the scruffy look and coarse fur were replaced by smooth and silky fur.
Neither cat hesitates to dig right in when served. Although I but the 5oz cans, it comes in a 3oz can as well.
The good news/bad news is that this food doesn't seem to have preservatives (good) so if all the food is not
served and eaten at one sitting, it will start to spoil within hours (bad) unless refrigerated.
The can says the type of cut is "minced"; however, I dare you to tell it apart from a pate. There is no gravy to
be licked up separately leaving chunks of food but a moist even consistency of food and a "sticky" coating
that cats seem to really like. I like the fact that it is not loaded with poor quality protein like a popular 3oz
can of cat food loaded with gravy and a guaranteed trip to the vet for renal disease after a couple months.
I am very happy to pay a little more for Hill's food because I can see actually see the benefits of this diet in
my cats
on March 21, 2013
My finicky cats gobble this wet food right up. I am trying to keep my 16 year old kitty healthy and this nutritious (and apparently) tasty dish is helping. I have five cats and they love, love, love it. I am no longer throwing food away. Very satisfied cats and cat lover!
Turkey is one of the staples of my cat's diet. With a cat's curiosity, I wanted to learn more about different varieties of food and about turkey.

I have been feeding kitty Friskies turkey for indoor cats. This food has the advantage of easy accessibility at the supermarket and a low price. Most importantly, the cat eats it readily.

With some concerns about Friskies, I did research and fed my cat other turkeys, including this Turkey and Giblets product from Hill's Science Diet. There are many opinions about cat food. I relied most heavily on ratings published by GoodGuides in cooperation with Consumer Ally. Goodguides has rated over 65,000 products, I understand, and first published its ratings of pet food in 2011. The ratings are accessible, clear and have been updated since. Pet food is the most requested category of rating for users of GoodGuides.

Overall, Hill's Science Diet is the best rated company for cat food, according to GoodGuides. More specifically, this Turkey and Giblets entry is a highly rated product with a score of 9.8 for health and an overall current ranking of 18th out of 360 tested varieties of wet cat food. It is difficult to go wrong with it.

Then there is the specific response of my cat. She eats this food and leaves nothing left over. But she nibbles a bit and exhibits what seems to me to be a slight lack of enthusiasm as compared to the Friskies. Perhaps this is due to the change: she has been eating the Friskies variety for a considerable time and perhaps senses that the new food is not quite the same. Cats can love what they are used to, much in the way that people do.

The Friskies product is nutritionally complete and wholesome and needs no apology for its use. In particular it is less than half the price of the Science Diet. The supermarket does not sell Science Diet and I need to go out of my way to purchase it. What to do?

I compromised. I want to continue feeding my cat the Science Diet Turkey and try to get her more used to it. On the other hand Friskies has certain advantages as well. I am basically alternating use of the two products as part of the cat's weekly diet of turkey (once or at most twice per week), with the balance tilted towards accessibility and convenience. You can feel good about feeding your cat the Friskies, particularly in tough economic times, but I trust and prefer the Science Diet, when it is accessible.

Robin Friedman
33 comments7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2013
I have purchased this product for the last year through my vet's office. It is a good quality and my cat eats it once a day along with dry food. The price is good through Amazon and I like the convenience of having it delivered to my door.
on March 22, 2013
Our Cat loves this food and it seems to make her coat nice and healthy and gives her lots of energy!
on May 13, 2015
I sent this to an animal rescue upon their request. I saw a picture of a kitty that had been hit by a car and left for dead and somebody found him. I wanted to help so I reached out to them and this is what they requested, apparently it is one of the better foods for cats who need nutrition while recovering from a traumatic experience.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 29, 2015
This is a review of the beef flavor. I'm not super happy with the ingredients as this food contains both beef by-products and pork by-products, as well as wheat flour, corn starch, rice flour, and powdered cellulose (those last four are not things that cats need, like at all). You can see the ingredients list in one of the product images.

However. One of my cats recently rejected her premium beef cat food and I am trying to get her to eat something else. I just went into a store and grabbed a few cans of all sorts of different kinds of food. (I prefer to feed my cats wet food when possible.) This was one of the types I bought, and the cat I fed it to ate all of her food several days in a row when I was feeding this to her, regardless of whether it was at room temperature or cold from the refrigerator. So she likes it and she will eat it. It's inexpensive, as well, and easy to find at a variety of different retail locations.

Most plastic can lids will fit these cans as they are a standard 5.5 ounce size. (If you get the 3 ounce cans instead, check with your vet -- if they sell any Hill's Prescription Diet food, they probably have a bunch of plastic lids that will fit the smaller cans and they are likely to be willing to give you the lids free -- at least my vet is like that.)

I do think the feeding recommendations are a little high. If your cat is a bit older/less active, s/he can probably get by on one to one and a third cans a day, even at 10 or 11 pounds. This food has a lot more fiber than most cats need and feeding the recommended amount will probably just lead to more scooping of the litterbox! (Do monitor your cat's weight carefully for the first few weeks on any new food and adjust feeding amounts accordingly.)

So while I don't love the ingredients, the cat I need to get to eat seems to like this a lot. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. So there is a good chance I'll either stick with it, or add it to a rotation of several different foods to keep her interested.
on August 26, 2014
My cats hate it but it's good for them. They wish it was Friskies but I don't want them to be so fat. For the first couple weeks when I gave it to them they would sniff it, give me a dirty look, and walk away. Now I understand that feeling your parents used to get when they'd buy you nice food and you'd refuse to eat it and demand McDonalds.
on August 26, 2014
on September 20, 2013
We have a cat with special diet needs. Dry cat food is bad for her and if we run out of food it is hard to find this brand and on sale. At $1.00 per can including shipping and tax its a value. Plus we set it up to ship each month so kitty always has her food.