5.0 out of 5 stars Best Trail Crampon for Tough Conditions
Published on February 20, 2012 by jstover33

3.0 out of 5 stars Rusting and breaking down fate four uses.
I had high hopes that after all my research that Hillsound would be the best choice but I am disappointed. The metal spikes are rusting after just four uses and the toe stainless bar broke. I like the Velcro strap, but it does not make up for the quality issues.
Published 12 months ago by Bryan J Rojek

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Trail Crampon for Tough Conditions, February 20, 2012
First let me say I am a big booster of Hillsound's main competition, the Kahtoola Microspikes. In fact, my glowing review of the Microspikes was, for months, the first review you saw on Kahtoola's web site. I have worn out (and repaired them repeatedly with vise, hammer and pliers) my first pair of Microspikes. I now have a second pair of Kahtoolas to replace my old, very worn ones. Those spikes on the first set now resemble the teeth of a 80-year old Eskimo woman.

I thought this was a Hillsound review? It is... If you enjoy gnarly, snowy and icy trails the Hillsounds are your ticket. I gotta say they pretty much blow away the Katoolas on EXTREME terrain. If you trail run on the average woods road or such, the Microspikes may be better. They are a bit lighter and the spikes are not as long. BUT if you descend slippery and icy stuff the Hillsounds stick like Velco vs. the bit sketchy Microspikes. How so? Well, the dirty little secret of the Kahtoola's is that they have an Achilles' Heel. Where? In the heel. The heel area only has two spikes and they are inboard and more toward the instep than the edge of your heel. There is a review here on Amazon that actually calls the Microspikes "dangerous" due to this design flaw. IF Kahtoola were to add two more spikes toward the rear they would be near perfect, but still not as good as the Hillsound's. Why so? The spikes are longer-by quite a bit-than the Microspikes. I am sold on the Hillsounds and they will be on my trail running shoes (all I wear in winter even here in central PA) most often. They pretty much kick ass. I had about as much confidence in the Hillsounds on descent as I did with my Petzl mountaineering crampons (no not on trail running shoes) that I used on my local gnarly hill in one rather icy event last winter.

What about Yaktrax? Absolute POS. Awful. A joke. They are for the suburbanites on an icy sidewalk once a year. For that they are fine. Cheap too. As an recent example, though, in a group of 12 hikers two of our group had the rubber ribs break on their Yaktraxs. Don't step on rocks in Yaktaxs. Both Yaktrax owners ordered Kahtoolas the next day - none of us had Hillsounds at that point. On another hike one fellow had both his Yaktrax fall off and never to be found.

I did check out the "extreme Yaktrax". They get poor reviews due to a design flaw - the front and rear spike assemblies are not connected like Hillsounds. You would think Yaktrax would have figured it out. No wonder most sites have them on sale.

I don't know about Hillsounds durability yet. Nor their snow anti-balling properties. The snow I used them in was not of the consistency to cause that problem. The two metal plates that contain the spikes look solid, but may ball up. If so, I will first spray them with PAM and see how that works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like adding AWD to your feet, November 16, 2011
I live in Kodiak Alaska and have spent most of my hunting and hiking strugging up slidy muddy inclines and sliding down on my butt. These trail crampons are like adding AWD to your feet. Outstanding for use when the ground is wet, great for contoring along mountainsides. Now winter is upon us these crampons are really proving there worth in the snow and ice. These turn what was an arduous climb or descent into a stroll. Everyone I have been out on the hills with recently has now ordered a pair. If you live in an area that gets heavy rain or snow and ice and you like to hike or hunt, then these are a must have. Probably the best $60 I have spent on outdoor gear. They weight next to nothing and are easy to throw in your pack. Very highly recomended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I like MicroSpikes better, March 13, 2012
I had to give these a try based on the reviews and the potential benefit of the more defined spikes. My test involved climbing a 11K mountain, with Ice, moderate snow and hip deep snow, climbing 40-50 degree pitches at times. Temps range from 40s to 20s on top. Under certain circumstances these provide better traction than Micro-spikes, however I ran into two issues: (1) climbing uphill on mixed terrain, the front end had a tendency to shift off the front toe. It was just less forgiving than Micro-Spikes. (2) balling is much more pronounced than with Micro Spikes. That was only an issue, of course, in sticky snow. I did like these, and liked the assurance of the strap in that I didn't worry that I would loose them, however, I ended up putting on my crampons in conditions that didn't warrant anything that substantial because of the balling. Next week end I'll probably go back to my Micro Spikes, but in drier (less sticky) conditions, I'll use these. Maybe I'll figure a way of adding Anti-balling skids like the Pros have...

5.0 out of 5 stars spring hiking!!!, April 4, 2011
These trail cleats are perfect for spring hiking. They extend the season by making it safe to walk those icy spring trails after rain or melting. Easy to get on and take off with a fairly aggressive base. Once they are on you don't even feel them under your boots. We have done some ice hikes in banff with these and the performed flawlessly! Good price and really good quality product. Great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crampons ice/trail, December 8, 2011
These are very good for wearing over large boots/wading boots. Great for hiking through snow to get to the river. The spikes are quite long so it's hard to walk comfortably on solid ground but in icy snow or muddy conditions these are great, especially for steep terrain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, February 7, 2012
Bought these for an early season hike up a local Vancouver mountain and was very impressed.

My friend and I both got one size too small and although the rubber is probably not going to last as long due to the stretch, these stayed in place and did not move around during the steeper, snowy ascent at the top. We had tried to do this trail without crampons and turned back a few weeks ago, with these on we got to the top no problem. $60 well spent, less than the price of a lift ticket!

We didn't wear them the entire way, just putting them on when we hit snow, but we still did a fair bit of dirt/rock with them in between the snowy sections. On solid rock they are more slippery than no crampons, but on dirt or snow or ice they are pretty awesome. The spikes did not show any signs of bending and seem very sturdy. The only negative thing I can think of is that probably the rubber will rip where the chains attach at some point, but just bring some cable ties in your bag in case that happens so you can get back down the mountain.

All in all very impressed and happy to have made the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars These are great, and aptly named, September 16, 2014
This review is from: Hillsound Trail Crampon Traction Device (Sports)
These are great, and aptly named, trail crampons! I formerly had Yaktrax and was not impressed in the least (see my review). I bought these for a glacier traverse with lightweight hiking boots and a medium pack. The glacier had 0-5" of soft snow on top. I hardly had a misstep in 90min of up and down, and only in the deep, soft snow where full crampons would experience the same fate. In fact, I tried to induce a slide by running where I had a run out and could self arrest with my ice axe, but they held fast and predictably. With full crampons I would have to have worn heavy snow or climbing pants to keep from cutting myself up. These were fine with shorts and yet had good toe and heel traction. They were easy to mount, dismount, and store safely in the outer pouch of my pack by folding the spikes in on themselves so as not to puncture or abrade my pack. I was careful only to take two steps on rock and did not notice anything but worn paint at the tips of the spikes after inspecting. They seem to be hardened as described. The jury I still out on the rubber, hook and loop, and chain because they're so new.
One way they could be improved is to make the spikes and plates out of stainless steel, but that might be cost prohibitive and technically infeasible due to the costs of SS and the soft properties of most alloys. The annoying thing with the seller was not having a sizing chart link next to the size picker. I got lucky and guessed the right size and never found the size chart until I received the crampons. I did find the chart on Hillsound's site just now, but for some reason, probably pilot error, I could not find it before ordering. Assuming they stand the test of time and a little rust doesn't bother you, I highly recommend these trail crampons for lightweight snow and ice, especially when you want to mount and dismount in the inevitable transitions between ice and rock. I will report back on how they do on frosty and muddy conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually surprised at how good they are, January 27, 2014
Eric Sawyer (Sanbornton, NH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hillsound Trail Crampon Traction Device (Sports)
I was somewhat concerned about the durability of the rubber top portion based on pictures and a few bad reviews. But I have to say that they have held up very well for 2 years of regular use. I use them on trails several times a week to improve traction in both icy and hard pack snow conditions. Makes general walking easier, but really shine on inclines.

I also use them almost daily around my farm when feeding animals, checking greenhouses, maple sugaring, etc. I love that they are quick to take on and off and fit any type of boot. The XL fits my size 11 snugly.

The only time they don't work well is in sticky, wet, fresh snow. The snow tends to accumulate between the spikes requiring frequent cleaning. But I suppose this would be true of all competitors. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rusting and breaking down fate four uses., February 16, 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubber hole tear, February 12, 2015
This review is from: Hillsound Trail Crampon Traction Device (Sports)
I used these spikes 4 times, about 30 minutes each time on a dirt hillside and by the 4th time the rubber hole holding the steel chain ripped.
So I zip-tied it!
Didn't anyone at Hillsound test these spikes before production and sales?

Hillsound Trail Crampon Traction Device