Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on June 15, 2012
ATTENTION: Don't throw the treat away as others have, read below:

I first learned of this treat from a booth at the Portland Pet Expo, and it has turned out to be an excellent, safe chew for our golden retriever puppy. When we first gave it to her, she absolutely loved it and chewed it for 15+ minutes straight, which was quite an attention span for our then 11 week old puppy. The pet expo sold samples at a discount, but said the retail price for this size chew was ~$24, so I was glad to find it on amazon for so much less.

The himalayan chew is a combination of cow and goat cheeses, which is smoked for 7 months to produce a very hard chew which softens with puppy slobber. It does not stain, smell, or splinter. The only potential risk is a choking hazard as the chew gets small (what bone doesn't have this risk?). However, we learned a trick at the pet expo that most people here don't know:

DON'T throw away the treat. When it gets so small you worry about choking, take it away and let it dry then microwave it for 10-15 seconds. The small chunck will get 3+ times larger, and will be less dense as a result. Now it is safe again to give to your pet as a quick treat. This way there is no waste, and your pet enjoys every last bit of it.

EDIT: I have noticed it takes more like a minute in the microwave to fully expand. Your results may vary depending on the microwave power - just keep an eye on it and stop when it is no longer expanding.

Now that we have had two himalayan chews around the house for five weeks, our golden isn't quite as crazy about it as when we first got it, but she will still happily chew it over most of her toys and treats, and she hasn't finished either one yet. She still won't chew it for more than 15-20 minutes at a time, so it has time to dry out and harden again between chewing sessions. For larger dogs and more agressive chewers, I would expect that it wouldn't last nearly as long since it will stay softer as they keep chewing for longer times.
on November 21, 2011
I am now on my third package of Himilayan dog chews from Amazon. They are amazing and you can't beat the free shipping from the suppliers on Amazon! My search for a long lasting chew started when our lab/doberman puppy was only about 3-4 months old. I had read so many good things about bully sticks so I ordered them and then just about threw up when I smelled them! I tried to look over it, gave it to our pup (who loved it) but then not only did it smell while he was eating it, but his breath was stinky for a while afterwards! Plus, I'd say the bully stick didn't seem to last much longer than a regular (non-stinky) rawhide. Then I ordered the Himilayan dog chew. He wasn't sure how to approach it since it is literally rock hard. But, then he started scrapping it with his teeth. He isn't the type of dog to take big bites so he's never gotten any big hunks off of it. One chew last weeks since we usually save it for an after dinner snack/entertainment (1-2 hours at a time). Not only does the Himalyan dog chew last a really long time, it also barely smells at all unless you hold it to your nose! And, at that, it's just a smoked gouda type smell so it's not repulsive like a bully stick. Plus, it seems to keep our pups breath smelling much better than if he doesn't have it! We had actually taken a Himalayan dog chew with us on a road trip to my parents house and their dog (9 year old lab mix) actually snuck into our bag and stole the cheese! This is actually a very surprising thing because their dog has NEVER been a chewer. If given something hard, she actually just hides it and never eats it. So, to see her take the cheese and bite small pieces off, I knew she must have loved it! On our next visit I made sure to have an extra piece of cheese just for her. Needless to say, I cannot recommend trying this out enough! If it ends up your dog didn't like it, you just tried one more item in an attempt to make them happy. If they love it though, you will have found a great investment in your dogs health and happiness! Our pup LOVES his cheese!
on August 22, 2010
I bought this at my local high end pet food shop for $9. I brought it home, and gave it to the pup on the patio. My dog is a 70 lbs lab/pit mix around 1 year old. The good: he loved it and didn't upset his stomach at all. The not so great: lasted about 90 minutes, in two sessions. I gave it to him on day one for an hour, and he finished about 30% of it, then I took it away and saved the rest for the next day, which only took him like half an hour to seal the deal (nothing left whatsoever). It's fun for a try, but at $9, I think I won't buy too many more.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2011
I gave this to an eight month old chewing maniac boxer pup who can consume a bully stick in less than an hour. She loves it and chews it every chance she gets, nearly a week and she has barely put a dent in it. Very low odor as well.
on January 12, 2014
We have a 60lb Shepard who goes through bones very quickly. We have yet to find a bone or treat that he cannot eat or destroy within an hour. I had high hopes for this dog chew after reading the reviews and others who said it lasted a long time. However, my dog gobbled up half of it within 15 minutes and I eventually took it away from him because he was eating it too fast. On the plus side, my dog enjoyed the dog chew, unfortunately about 6 hours later (in the middle of the night) he woke us up whining. We took him out and he had horrible diarrhea. The diarrhea continued for the rest of the morning. We threw the rest of the chew out.

Our dog doesn't have a particularly sensitive stomach and this is the first time a treat or bone has made him sick. You may want to avoid if you have a dog with a sensitive stomach.
on March 9, 2015
I have given a few of these chews to my 45lb boston terrier/shepherd mix. She seemed to do okay with them the first 2 times, but this last time it seems she figured out a way to bite through it better and unbeknownst to me (even though I was in the same room with her while she was eating it) she was swallowing sizable chunks. Fast forward two days later to 3am and the poor pup was throwing up those chunks in my bed :( She is also extremely gassy. I'm keeping an eye on her to make sure no pieces end up stuck in her intestines. I may still get these in the future but buy the ones meant for small dogs and just microwave them into the puff chew. I haven't decided, but if your dog is a chewer rather than a licker I'd be leery of giving them this product.
on September 23, 2013
My Corgi absolutely EATS most dog chews-- rawhide bones, bully sticks, greenies, pig ears, you name it. Often he will have a rawhide bone knot untied and swallowed in one huge gulp in minutes. And I always worry about the origin of many of these chews. I wanted to find a healthy chew toy that would help his teeth and gums that would last more than a few minutes. Well, I finally found it! My dog LOVES these chews and they are all natural, all good ingredients-- yak milk, cow milk, salt and lime juice. I gave him his first one almost three weeks ago and he is still chewing on it! I told my brother about them and he says the only problem is taking it away from his dog! My only caution is the size. I got a "large"-- not what you'd expect for a Corgi, but it's just the right size.
on March 25, 2015
Wow, my dog loves this thing. He can destroy an edible nylabone or even the softer rubber ones in a couple of days, but he's been working on this for three days now and it's only worn-down a little. He hasn't been able to break any small pieces off either. It also keeps him occupied for longer than nylabones or kongs. Only complaint is that it came snapped into two pieces. Fortunately it was about a 80/20 split, so the larger pieces is still large enough.
on May 30, 2015
Do NOT buy these treats. Our dog woke up in the middle of the night vomiting and choking on large pieces of these bones that did not digest. He eventually coughed/threw them up but he could have died. He was so scared from his airway being blocked he bolted from our couch and started running around our living room bashing into everything. Even after he got them up, he was stumbling around and panting for almost an hour. This happened in the middle of the night when he had been asleep for a few hours. He chewed on the bone for about 20 minutes the morning this happened and it was over 12 hours later before he woke up sick from pieces of them sitting in his stomach undigested. SCARY! I only bought these treats because I thought they were the healthiest and safest option available.
on February 9, 2015
My dog LOVES her treats, but is insanely picky about her chews. She won't touch most chews, including ones that most dogs usually like-- antlers, bully sticks, etc. She *will* chew on a rawhide or cow leg bone from time-to-time, but quickly loses interest in those, as well. I would just buy her treats, but she needs the chews to help clean her teeth. When I heard about the Himalayan Dog Chews (on Shark Tank!), I decided to give them a try, with the hope that I wouldn't be throwing away $10+ on something she wouldn't show an interest in for more than a few minutes.

She didn't lose interest AT ALL. In fact, she goes searching for her Himalayan Dog Chews (HDC's), seeking them out over any other treat or chew.

The large size HDC is perfect for my 50-pound yellow lab. It is small enough she can carry it around, but large enough that she cannot bite it in half or quarters.

The HDC makes ME happy because it doesn't stain my carpet or rugs, doesn't smell bad (as a vegetarian, many meat-based dog treats make me gag because of their smell), and doesn't upset my girl's tummy. She can chew on the treat/chew to her heart's delight and I don't see any negative effects (stains, smells, or vomit).

The HDC makes my dog happy because it is easy for her to hold in between her paws, it apparently tastes good, and it doesn't upset her belly.

The HDC **is** expensive, but is SO worth it (in my not-so-humble opinion). My dog is a "moderate" chewer, so owners might have a different experience with "heavy" chewers. For my dog, the HDC lasts about 2-4 hours of constant chewing, or about two weeks of every-once-in-a-while chewing (when I hide it in between chewing sessions). When my dog gets the HDC down to a nub, I just microwave it for about 40 seconds, which "puffs" it up so she can hold it again.

I think the HDC might be my (and my dog's) favorite chew/treat/toy. We love the HDC!