5.0 out of 5 stars Other than the Bible, my all time favorite Christian book...
I first read this book in college and have introduced it to many, read the children's edition (BEAUTIFUL illustrations - a good devotional book) to my children and since read the complete version to them.
Published on August 28, 2000 by anonymous

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Flawed Performance
Note: This review applies only to the abridged audio version read by Flo Schmidt.

Published on February 26, 2005 by Kathy Makus

5.0 out of 5 stars Other than the Bible, my all time favorite Christian book..., August 28, 2000
I cannot think of a more powerful allegory illustrating the Christian life. Though most people are familiar with Pilgrim's Progress, in my opinion, this book if even better.
The story is about a girl named "Much-Afraid" who lives in the "Valley of Humiliation". She has a crooked mouth and crooked feet. Though she belongs to the "Fearings" family, she loves the Shepherd with all of her heart and desires to be in His service. She longs to have "hind's feet" and "leap upon the high places" with Him. (see the Psalms for the quote) He tells her that she may have her request, but first He must place the seed of love in her heart - it looks like a thorn.
Her family has planned for her to marry her cousin, "Craven Fear", but "Much-Afraid" doesn't want to and her only way out is to go with the Shepherd.
To reach the High Places, the Shepherd gives "Much-Afraid" two unique companions to help her along the way. They are companions of every Christian who walks the pathway to follow Christ. You must read the book to find out who they are, but be ready for a surprise!
I love this book because it doesn't gloss over what our lives as Christians are like, the challenges we face, and a Biblical account of how we are to proceed - that following Christ means dying to self to live for Him. This is one of the most beautifully written accounts I have ever read.
Get a copy and read it. It will become one of your most treasured possessions. Then read the sequel, "Mountain of Spices" where "Much-Afraid", who has been given a new name, returns to the valley to show the love of the Shepherd to her family and friends.
TERIFFIC BOOKS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perspective for the Journey, April 15, 2003
This review is from: Hinds' Feet on High Places (Paperback)
This book is like Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress only in that they are both allegories that give a wonderful overview and perspective of the Christian life. But Hinds Feet in High Places has much more heart, and I found it to stir the heart and soul in deep ways. It is the story of Much-Afraid leaving the Valley of Fear that she has always known, and embarking on a journey to become a new creation. The thing about this book is that it talks about the deepest longings and fears of our hearts in following God--following Him when we can't see ahead of us, when we feel like we're going in circles, when we feel like He is not taking us where we want to go, and how following Him can mean laying down the deepest desires of our hearts just because God asks us to, and we know Him to be good and loving. I enjoyed this book immensely, and found it both challenging and filled with grace; which is a rare find in Christian books which often offer only one or the other. All in all this is a love story between Much Afraid and her God; a God who calls her to a path that is filled with sorrow and suffering that take her to a deeper place of dependence on him, and also a God who is there the instant she calls for Him. This is a book that I will probably read every couple of years, as I am at different places in my own journey, and will always see something new that I didn't see before. It is well worth investing in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent allegory of the believer's walk with God!, May 20, 1998
By A Customer
Hind's Feet On High Places is a wonderful, beautiful allegory of God's love for each one of us. Although we face many trials along the Christian life, Jesus is always there and will always hear and help us when we cry to Him. He is especially close to the broken-hearted. We can always come to our Chief Shepherd, Jesus Christ, without any fear. Much-Afraid sought the Chief Shepherd early in the morning and late in the evening when her work was done. I believed she sang to Him all through the day too. This too, is our priviledge as children of God. I thank God for such an anointed writer as Hannah Hurnard. This is by far the most beautiful book that I've read. I will read and re-read this book for years to come. I have given it as a gift to friends. To all who long to live a life filled with nothing else but love for God, this is the book to read. And to all who feel that God has abandoned them and that there is no hope of reconciliation, this is the book that God will use to restore you. God bless you as you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth About the Christian Life, March 28, 2000
"This is the story of how Much-Afraid escaped from her fearing relatives and went with the Shephard to the High Places where 'love casteth out fear.'" This is probably by far the best book I have ever read. It has helped me so much in hard times and grief and has helped me so much in obtaining the peace that is only available through Jesus Christ. In the the book the main character Much-Afraid is given a chance to got to the High Places, a place where all of the people in the Valley of Humiliation (where she lives) long to be. However, before she goes there she must travel through places such as the Desert, the Shores of Loneliness, the Valley of Loss, and the Great Precipice Injury. On her journey she is accompanied by her two companions Sorrow and Suffering and is always being attacked by her relatives named Pride, Bitterness, and worst of all Craven Fear. In each part of her journey learnig a key lesson. All people who read this I implore you to read this book. It was probably the most influential book I have ever read and could very well lead you to the happiness that I am now enduring in my journey... the happiness that can only be achieved in our Lord and Savior-Jesus Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved my brother's life - literally and many others, too!, May 25, 2006
D. Anthony "Rachel's Mom" (Atlanta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hinds' Feet on High Places (Paperback)
Many years ago, my Brother, Jeff, lived a very unfulfilling, sinful life. (When I say sinful, I DO mean full of the worst kinds of sin imaginable). A co-worker sensed his total dissatisfaction with life, so she brought this book to work and placed it in his locker. Jeff did not think much of it, but he grudgingly took it home and read it in one sitting! He got down on his knees the second he finished reading "Hinds Feet on High Places" and prayed: "Lord, I don't care what price I have to pay. I am like the character "Much-Afraid" and I want to walk the High Places with you. Please forgive my sins, enter my heart and make me a new creation". Nothing happened immediately, but Jeff felt the weight of the world lift from his shoulders. One week later, he was driving home from practicing the organ at the church where he played each Sunday. After setting the organ stops, he grabbed his coat, got in his car, buckled his seatbelt and slowly merged onto a four-lane highway with a 45mph speed limit. After just a few minutes, Jeff's life went black. A drunk driver was being chased by the police for speeding , clocked at 82mph in this 45mph zone. The drunk driver never even realized my brother was in the far right lane. He easily could have passed him as there were no other cars on the road at the time. But instead, he plowed directly into the rear of Jeff's car sending it in a spin, end over end 6 times until it rested in a telephone pole. The paramedics were there within 2 minutes. But Jeff was not breathing, his heart had stopped, he was hanging upside down still fastened in his seatbelt with a spinal cord injury trying to take his life. Needless to say, miraculously Jeff survived against all odds and went on the eventually finish his degree in Ministry. He rode in his wheelchair-lift van and spoke against drunk driving at high schools; he went from church to church to preach that contentment comes only from being satisfied with what one has in Christ Jesus; Jeff rode thousands of miles, preaching the goodness of God and how he would NEVER change a thing about his life, because he now was free and able to walk on thine high places with his Savior. Jeff, today, seventeen years later, three years after going to Heaven, still preaches the Gospel with a smile on his face. I am certain he is no longer encumbered by a wheelchair. But it wouldn't matter to Jeff if he was or wasn't. As long as Jeff is still walking, hand-in-hand on thine high places with Jesus, his Savior..................I can't think of a higher recommendation for a book than this. One could easily and sincerely say this can be a life-changing book. If you are looking for TRUTH but don't want it in a Church-like presentation, this book is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hinds' Feet In High Places, December 24, 2000
Jean Watley (Tacoma, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hinds' Feet on High Places (Paperback)
This book is an increditable tool used to confront the seasons of our life that are filled with noisy chatter and terrifying silence. The character, Much Afraid, finds herself on a journey to build inner strength and courage. She is shocked that the Good Shepherd has offered her a personal invitation to follow Him. Her life moves from being saddled with the Family of the Fears who live in the Valley of Humiliation to arriving in High Places and being totally changed.
I am an instructor at a technical college in Tacoma, Washington. The age range of my students runs between 16-70 years old. They are in a transitional time of their lives. They are dislocated workers who have been downsized from a job after 10-20 years, Mothers whose last child turned 18 years old, a single parent trying to get off welfare, teen Moms trying to find their way. Some are multiple degreed come from professional backgrounds. Some are blue collar workers, uneducated, street smart and much more. They enter my classroom for 80 hours of intensive job readiness training. (soft skills, i.e. effective communication, problem solving, critical thinking, conflict resolution, interview and resume writing, etc.)
I tell them the story of "Much Afraid" who lives in the Valley of Humiliation with her aunt, Mrs. Disimal who has three children, Spiteful, Gloomy and the bully, Craven Fear. They are the Family of the Fearings.
In my classroom, the Good Shepherd is named "Opportunity." This keeps everyone open to hear the message meant for them. Some see God, some hear relief that this is an opportunity to understand what going on in their lives.
Throughout the book, Much Afraid meets up with the Family of the Fearings whose sole job becomes getting her back to the Valley of Humiliation. These encounters provide opportunities for her heart to changed on this journey because she learns to face them without the grip fear. Her attitude and belief system towards life's crisis and joys experiences a metamorphosis. Self love and love for others germinates in her heart. She no longer is Much Afraid of anything.
This book has made my life so much easier. Fear of the unknown has no power over me because I know everything has its purpose in my life.
Last year over 400 people heard me tell the story about Hinds' Feet in High Places. I've been telling it for over ten years to anyone who would listen. As a result I see people's lives calm down and take a different road everyday

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Classic, January 5, 2006
Robert W. Kellemen "Doc. K." (Crown Point, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hinds' Feet on High Places (Paperback)
Hannah Hurnard's "Hinds' Feet on High Places" is a family classic. We read it after dinner for months, two pages per night, with our pre-teen children always pleading "read another page!" Hurnard writes with elegance and interest, telling a parable or allegory of Christ shepherding a terrified child on the journey of faith. Her encounter with her two guides, "Suffering and Trials" and Christ's explanation of their purpose in her life, teaching a life lesson every person, regardless of age, must learn.

Reviewer: Bob Kellemen, Ph.D., is the author of "Beyond the Suffering: Embracing the Legacy of African American Soul Care and Spiritual Direction," "Soul Physicians," "Spiritual Friends," and the forthcoming "Sacred Friendships: Listening to the Voices of Women Soul Care-Givers and Spiritual Directors."

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Flawed Performance, February 26, 2005

Hannah Hurnard's book has long held a special place in my heart. It's a sensitive parable of the life of faith, full of the Shepherd's love. Unfortunately, Flo Schmidt's narration trivializes the book. The reading is badly overacted, giving the parable the quality of a melodrama. The reader seems to believe that we won't figure out what to feel about the story unless the emotions are hammered into us.

My recommendation: find an audio performance by a different narrator or stick with the print version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing...God-inspired!, October 2, 1998
This review is from: Hinds' Feet on High Places (Paperback)
Apart from the Bible, this has been the most inspiring work I have ever read. Hannah Hurnard has totally captured the experience of the Christian walk and the way in which Christ is always there to guide us through all our trials and tests so that the flower of Acceptance with Joy and Love can bloom in the heart and we can be in the High Place, the Kingdom of Love, where resides the true and perfect love "that drives out fear." The exciting thing is that this is not talked about in a future or "the next life" sense but that God's love is something that we can experience now and to its fullest!
Give it as gifts and share it with new Christians!
A NOTE FOR CHRISTIAN TEACHERS: The way in which this book is constructed it provides an execellent teaching tool for any Christian study group.
...AND TO THOSE CALLED TO MINISTRY: The conclusion of this book is exactally a description of the way that I understand the call to ministry...I don't want to ruin it but suffice it to say that for you it is a must read (as it is for anyone!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Encouraging, May 17, 2001
This review is from: Hinds' Feet on High Places (Paperback)
This book gives a glimpse into how we live our daily lives. Just like Much-Afraid we travel through the Valley of Loss and walk along the Sea of Loneliness. We always must trust God no matter where He asks us to go, no matter what He asks He do. Like Much-Afraid we will encounter Pride, Anger, and Jealousy and we will call on the Shepherd and He will help us. The seed of true love was planted in Much-Afraid's heart and when she reached the High Places she finally learned what it felt like to be truly loved. The love we experience in this world is nothing compared to the love Jesus has for us. He wants to love and help you but you must ask for Him to. The journey to the High Places is a hard one Much-Afraid learns but the destination is well worth the journey. Learning to give our entire life to Jesus is hard but the reward of knowing Him is more amazing than anything we could ever want or desire. My favorite part of this book was when the Lord asked Much-Afraid what she would do if He lied to her and her reply was "My Lord-if you can decieve me, you may. It can make no difference. I must love you as long as I continue to exist. I cannot live without loving you." I know personally I could not live without God in my life and taking care of me and I hope everyone that reads this review feels the same way.

Hinds' Feet on High Places
Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard (Paperback - November 23, 1979)
$7.99