5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and helpful, May 26, 2008
This review is from: Hip And Knee Surgery: A Patient's Guide To Hip Replacement, Hip Resurfacing, Knee Replacement, And Knee Arthroscopy (Paperback)
This book is easy to read, both with the explanations and literally - I appreciated the large size (8.5" x 11") and font along with the great illustrations! It is the most up to date book I could find out there on this subject (2008), and it has chapters on newer topics like hip resurfacing and ceramic hips that I couldn't find in older books.

I have to say this book makes the prospect of facing hip or knee surgery less stressful. It helps a lot with the anxiety of just not knowing what to expect - even the detailed chapter on potential complications made it less scary by just explaining them and how often they occur (and why). I also found the appendices (like postoperative dental care and antibiotics, what to take to the hospital, etc.) and checklists helpful.

There do not appear to be very many books like this out there, particularly written by surgeons, and most of the books on joint replacement seem to be by patients or family members who have had the surgery - which is great, but only explains one person's/family's experience. I suppose one reason may be as the author says in his introduction; there are many different techniques and methods, and he goes to lengths to explain how different surgeons may use different surgical approaches, rehab recommendations, etc. It is written in a conversational style and uses terrific illustrations to explain things clearly.

It addresses many of the concerns I had, especially with some topics that just don't seem to come up in the doctor's office (e.g., sex after hip replacement). I felt much more educated and comfortable after reading it (twice!), and I was better able to ask good questions about things like dislocation and post-operative activities,ceramics, metal on metal hips, etc.

Although the title is Hip and Knee Surgery, in all honesty I think many patients not yet facing surgery would find it helpful, as it has a great deal of information on nonoperative options (like the gel injections for knees) and preventative measures for hips and knees as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and informative, February 8, 2008
This is a well written, easy to read, informative book for anyone contemplating or facing hip and knee surgery. Dr. Kennon, a respected orthopaedic surgeon in his field, explains in layman's terms what a patient facing this type of surgery could expect. There are illustrations throughout the book that help explain hip and knee problems and the various devices used in hip and knee replacement surgery today. The book also answers many questions a person might ask before having hip or knee surgery. I would highly recommend this book for anyone seeking information and answers prior to hip or knee surgery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing the self pubbed"Hip And Knee Surgery" by Dr. Kennon, December 28, 2008
As a frequent knee pain sufferer who doesn't want surgery, I am always on the lookout at my local library for new books on the subject. When I saw this one in the New Arrivals section, I grabbed it and took it home. Written by a surgeon, this informative and easy to use book covers the treatment and reconstruction regarding the knee and the hip. Broken into four parts, this book teaches the reader general info regarding joints and surgical options as well as the procedures and expected results.

The sixty-seven paged Part One is composed of chapters covering the hip. Through various drawings and illustrations, the basic functionality of the hip is explained before delving into various issues. Topics regarding non surgical as well as surgical treatments are covered along with short chapters regarding home exercises and life after hip replacement.

Part Two is nearly sixty pages and covers the knee in detail. After opening with an explanation of the knee and how it is supposed to work; the section covers the various problems and treatments. Non surgical as well as surgical options up to and including total knee replacement is covered along with home exercises and life after knee replacement sections.

That leads into Part Three which is a general knowledge section titled "Before & After Joint Replacement Surgery." This nearly sixty paged section covers everything from initial diagnosis, to contemplating surgery, to having surgery, to what you will experience the month after surgery. This is a good section regardless of what surgical procedure you or a loved one may have because a lot of the info here crosses over into other areas.

Part 4 covers what happens when the surgeon has to go in and do it again either due to the failure of the replaced joint or bone loss around the joint. This eight page section also covers surgery needed from infection and other issues.

This is followed by several useful appendices regarding resources, office checklists, information on the author's practice, etc. Also included is a glossary of medical terms and an index.

This 216 page book is well written and easy to understand. That coupled with its numerous diagrams, illustrations, and x-rays make it a book well worth reading. The illustrations and x-rays clearly show both normal situations and situations that required treatment for the patient. The book lays out clearly what can happen in a variety of situations and what most likely will be the result. But the book is also a must read not just for the information regarding surgical procedures as it imparts a lot of information for preventive care. This is a book you will want to have in your library - especially when that twinge or ache just won't go away.

Kevin R. Tipple (copyright) 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars BHR hip resurfacing, October 13, 2008
Hippy "Circuitman" (Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA) - See all my reviews
I'm male, 55 years old and and just had my right hip resurfaced with a Burmingham Hip Resurfacing procedure. As this procedure was new to my area, there was not a lot of information available. This book helped me make the right decision, for me, by supplying much information on the various procedures available. It was not to technical, but was technical enough for me to match it to the imformation supplied by the surgeon. It was also very helpful to use explaining to my wife and friends what exactly was wrong and what I was doing to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts on hip or knee surgery?, January 3, 2009
Poipoo (So. Calif, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book and others in anticipation of my upcoming hip replacement. This is the only book I needed. The book is an easy read using just enough medical terms to make it understandable, and explains everything I thought of asking the doctor. You can read a lot about hip and knee surgery at other web sites but this book brings everything together with very nice use of graphics.

Another important point to consider is that techniques for hip and knee surgery advances every year so make sure you check the year the book was written. This made me feel comfortable that the book covered the most recent advancements in surgery techniques and medicine. This book is recent 2008.

I didn't get knee surgery but the book covers each equally well including resurfacing. It covers everything from pre to post, what to expect the morning of surgery and after surgery. Each chapter concludes with Key Points to remember which is a nice feature. The book makes the whole process less stressful. Other than information from your doctor, this is the only other book you'll need.

Now that I've had my hip replacement, I can say that this book is quite accurate and helped make the whole procedure a lot more comfortable.

I must admit, the author's use of the cover graphic swinging a golf club had a lot to do with me even checking out the book because that's exactly my goal: back to golf sooner than later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information for hip and knee patients, September 5, 2008
My orthopedist gives a copy of this book to patients who are facing hip or knee surgery. It is a great source of information for these patients and written in a manner that they can easily understand. Answers many questions that you might be embarrassed to ask your doctor or feel that the time limitations of an office visit won't allow. Much like having a doctor sit down with you for a couple of hours and fully answering all your questions!

5.0 out of 5 stars contemplating hip replacement, August 26, 2009
In the 60's my mother was one of the first patients to have total hip replacement under the care of Sir Charnley. He was the surgeon who performed the first modern hip replacement in the U.K. Since that time, there have been many advancements and this excellent book has been extremely helpful. For the patient and caregiver, the contents are easy to read and understand. Diagrams are simple, clear and adequate. Surgery, hospitalization, and home life/exercise are covered. I was well informed by this book. For further reading about home exercises after surgery I purchased Total Hip Replacements by Jennifer Frantin, P.T. Both these books will be invaluable not only for me, but for my husband who will need to understand the care I will need when I return home.

5.0 out of 5 stars User Friendly, March 20, 2010
HappyBea (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
Straight forward and easy to read. Very helpful in knowing what types of questions to ask the doctor prior to surgery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book if you are contemplating hip surgery, February 5, 2014
A must read on the new technique available in hip surgery. Dr Kennon goes thru what to expect and has you on your feet in no time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information, well illustrated and informative, July 31, 2014
Linda S. Smith (Western New York, USA) - See all my reviews
Great information, well illustrated and informative. Good source to help prepare anyone contemplating knee or hip surgery. Find it helpful for a couple reasons: understand the proper terminology of the parts (bones,muscles,tendons, etc.). Plan to bring it with me at consult with orthopedic surgeon. I'm a visual learner, and I know I'll be a better patient with "show & tell" pre-operative explanation of what to expect, Doc knows & understands I'll do better if I know what to expect .