on July 1, 2007
One of the hottest topics in human resource (HR) management right now is the latest HR Competency Study calling for HR professionals to become "credible activists" and to practice the craft "with an attitude."

Lou Adler and the 3rd edition of his "Hire with Your Head" again proves that he epitomizes both these traits - as he has done for recruiting and selection consistently since the publication of the first edition in 1998.

Reviewing the new edition thoroughly would require noting and commenting on each step of the system. For the sake of brevity - and because it is stated so clearly by Lou Adler himself, "If you want to hire superior people, use a system designed to hire superior people." "Hire with Your Head" lays out the clearly best practices for attracting, selecting, closing, and taking the necessary first steps to retain top performers. In this newest edition, he also outlines both the advantages and disadvantages of the latest technologies in hiring - in a new environment where he correctly advises that the hiring process has significantly changed to most of the power being possessed by outstanding candidates.

The system is fantastic and it works - as Lou Adler demonstrates through dozens of new case studies - and I have had first hand knowledge of the system working with several outstanding organizations - which basically "get it."

And perhaps, this is the greatest strength of the new book. Lou Adler does not hesitate one bit in pointing out that a) the best candidates are different from the rest, b) the hiring systems of most organizations are fundamentally flawed, and c) there are easily almost a dozen correctable problems that prevent organizations from hiring top talent. He's blunt - and accurate - when he points out that "Most hiring managers ...aren't very good at interviewing, yet they all think they are." And for every one of these problems, Adler's "Performance-Based Hiring" system provides actionable solutions.

I cannot state it better than author Bruce Tulgan states in the Preface: "Buy a copy of Lou Adler's "Hire with Your Head" for yourself, read it, and then buy copies for every hiring manager, every recruiter, and every human resource professional in your organization." That's being a "credible activist - with an attitude."
on March 30, 2008
I have been in the recruiting for more than 30 years and was amazed at how this book and the principles and techniques it describes have changed the way I conduct my business. Performance-Based hiring has changed my approach in dealing with my clients and has moved me from a position of an order taker to being an integral part of the hiring process. I now function as a partner or consultant in the clients eyes. Not only does it give me more control, but it realy is the right way to hire. The clients get educated and make better hiring decisions. It truly has made a difference in the way I do business as a recruitment professional.
on July 26, 2007
Alder's process and advice are a sensible and a relatively easy fix that will help hiring managers find the right people for their open positions. A bonus is that people hired using this process are more likely to stay for a longer time because they will,on average,be more engaged in the company and its work.
I recommend it to all my clients in my workforce development practice. By using Adler's approach a company will find top canidates for positions that many people think will be impossible to fill. In other words, using the Adler process will uncover more and better candidates to choose from. At the same time the process will make the postition more appealing to the candidates. Gary Lemon, President, Great Lakes Business Consulting, Inc. 866-801-4522.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Lou Adler distinguishes himself by being a feet-on-the-ground style of HR writer - acknowledging that the business of hiring the right people, and helping them grow successfully into their new role is far from perfect. He's critical of people who make hiring decisions based on gut decisions - the sense of a right fit - and, rather, focuses on a much more (dare I say) scientific approach to the process.

But "Hire With Your Head" isn't lofty theory - this is a pragmatic, systematic focus on the things that matter when making a hire. It develops the commonsense that he set out five years ago in the previous edition of this work. (Hire With Your Head: Using POWER Hiring to Build Great Teams, 2nd Edition.)

What Adler does is suffuse his writing with an added of measure of realism that I seldom see in employment books (other than the still excellent What Color Is Your Parachute? 2007: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers (What Color Is Your Parachute).) Indeed what Bolles did when he first wrote Parachute was get inside the head of the employer and show job-hunters that they simply need to market themselves. Adler takes the same view, fundamentally, and by getting inside the mind both of the hirer and prospect he shows how the dialogue can be much less hit or miss than it often proves.

I'd strongly recommend this for anyone making hiring decisions. It will give you focus and a greater consciousness of what the process is really about. Not many people love either hunting for a job, or interviewing and screening prospects. This book breaks through all that and turns the process (and the critical post-appointment process) into a really constructive and positive journey.
on November 27, 2012
I originally bought this book as a candidate because I wanted to better understand the recruiter/employer perspective. I found this book very effective in that it explained the reasons and rationale behind recruiting practices I was experiencing as a job seeker. It gave me insight and confidence throughout the whole process: searching, applying, interviewing, reference checks and negotiating the offer. While few companies precisely follow all of the book's recommendations, I regarded this book as a set of 'best practices' that many top organizations appeared to more-or-less emulate.

The book is easy to read, clearly explained and is grounded in not only the author's broad personal experience but also the scientific literature and expert testimony. I found the explanations convincing and insightful.

As a bonus: even though I was motivated to buy as a candidate and I am not in a 'HR' position directly recruiting staff, I have since found many of the book's suggestions very useful in attracting people to my group within my employer's business.
on September 26, 2012
I'm not a fan of this book or this author. It's extremely boring to read (think college textbook) and super repetitive. I took one of the ads that he uses as an example, tweaked it a tiny bit to fit the particular job that I was trying to fill and tried using it for recruiting. I went from getting tons of responses to ZERO. Maybe his "good ad" just kept all the crap away (assuming that their are zero quality candidates in the market) or maybe his method just doesn't work for all types of jobs. Either way, I went from knowing I was bad at interviewing & hiring to just being more confused and frustrated about the process after reading this book.

2 Out of 5 Stars
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2008
Hire With Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams

I have always enjoyed Lou Adler's training, newsletters and books. I am a third party recruiter (focused on contingency searches for laboratory sales and marketing professionals). I find Lou's advice to be more focused on the internal recruiter and the hiring manager. I wish more of my client managers would read his book (they could use some of his tips). But I found several key points that apply directly to my situation. They are: 1. offer careers, not jobs
2. think of interviewing as peeling the onion
3. It is what you (the candidate) does with what you have, not what you have that counts!
I agree with Lou that most everyone believes that hiring is one of the most important tasks that a manager has, but really the hiring manager does not "walk the talk" in their personal approach to hiring. Lou - thank you again for another great read.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having worked professional headhunting in Scandinavia for more than 12 years I find Lou Adler's version # 3 of Hire With Your Head utmost valuable.
We're currently in a market where demand exceed supplies for top talents, and most companies fight for the same heads. Those wo win will be those companies understanding how top performers think and act. Lou Adler adds the recipe.
Hire with you Head is valuable for both recruiters and clients/decision makers (CEO's, Line Managers and HR people). It adds a structured way of interviewing as well as seling opportunities to the top performers.
I bought 4 books and will most probably buy more - as a gift to my own headhunters as well as clients.
- Trond Larsen, CEO MRI Network, Scandinavian Search Group AS, Norway
on July 26, 2007
Lou Adler continues to give some great advice in his newest Hire With Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams. Considering the actual costs of one unfortunate hire, businesses need to know all they can on how to do it better. Way to go, Lou!
on April 4, 2008
Lou and his Team (Adler concepts) are a superior resource for anyone who is involved in the hiring process within any organization, small or large and everything in between. These concepts are in reality "The Phychology of Recruiting A players".
I was referred to Lou's thoeries by another 3rd party recruiter who runs a small/boutique/niche/customer focused recruiting firm like my own. (Semi-Retained/exclusive contingent recruiting)
Having 10 years of 3rd party headhunting with exceptional results, having worked for a very large firm, then a small, and now my own.
I was convinced I could do "A LOU BETTER", and boy I was right. My process was sloppy, my applicant control was average, BUT what kept me as a top performing was will/grit, and I was becoming honesty tired of the ammount of activity that was required for a hire/deal/placement, Plus I was ready to take my earning potential to the "NEXT LEVEL".
By following the person/team that teaches proven results on not only how to "find names on the internet", but how top performers behave, how they search, when/why they search, and most important how to attract and close them.
Buy the book NOW.