Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hirt's Victorian Parlor Palm - Chamaedorea - Indestructable - 4" Pot
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 7, 2013
I bought this to improve the air quality in my home. I generally dislike palms (the big spiky ones you see outside) and wasn't expecting to find this one so very... endearing.

When I took it out of the box, I wondered if I'd ordered a fake plant by mistake, it was so vigorous and unfazed by its days in a dark, overheated box. It is real, though. And... jaunty. Perky, even. Unwilted, unbrowned, not so much as a broken leaf. Even though I got the smallest, least-expensive one listed, its foliage is thick enough to be all tangled up with each other into a tiny bonsai jungle. Not quite lush, but very far indeed from sparse.

After removing it from the box, I proceeded to ignore it on my sunny, scorching doorstep for a day. It didn't care. I brought it inside and left it on the floor in the dark entryway for a while. It was fine there. I moved it to an upstairs room by an east-facing window late in the afternoon. It's cool with that, too.

I should probably mention comparing it to other Chamaedorea determined by NASA to be effective in removing toxic gasses and particulate matter from air, or studies that show Chamaedorea elegans helps regulate indoor humidity, or stuff. There's plenty of info about that just a search-engine-of-your-choice away, should you be interested in it. I should also give it another week or so of the abuse and neglect that will probably typify its time in my home before reviewing it, to make sure it's as "indestructible" as advertised -- although the reading I've done supports that claim; it may not thrive, but it will soldier on through the battering storms of my apathy and forgetfulness. But really, I'm reviewing it prematurely specifically to mention that this thing is just darling.

I've ordered another and am planning out where to put a third.

It's cute. I was not expecting cute. Cute is not the word that comes to mind when I think "houseplant". Nonetheless, this houseplant is, in point of fact, cute.
___________________________
Edited to add: I've since bought another, a 6" plant. I initially received a 4" plant instead; I let Hirt's know about it on Thursday and heard back from them in 15 minutes. I received the replacement plant on Saturday. Amazing response times from Hirt's! The mistaken 4" plant is thriving next to its twin; both are gorgeous and healthy. The 6" plant is definitely larger and thicker, well worth the price difference, not just a 4"-pot plant in a larger pot. At this size, it's less an adorable bonsai jungle and more a full-on serious and somewhat showy houseplant. It, too, arrived in excellent condition, without browning, wilting, broken stems, or any other signs of damage or illness.
44 comments|137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2011
Purchased 9 months ago, currently 16" tall and 28" diameter. Placed on wall between two windows and it has grown wide to reach the sunlight on both sides. Lots of new growth and a unique look compared to other houseplants. A bargain beauty that adds character to any room. UPDATE: repotted last spring at 12 months, very shallow roots, progressively grew less healthy. Tried various locations, light conditions and hydrometer for proper moisture to no avail. Gave up and sent to garden in the sky at 20 months. Was a great plant for a year. If I were to acquire another, I would not repot annually, maybe at the 2 or 3 year mark. Having such shallow roots the 1 gallon container ( with mild spring and fall fertilizer ) likely would have had plenty of nutrients and given more time for root system to grow before shocking by repotting.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2011
I really think these plants are indestructable. lol It came in a box and at first i thought they were fake, but it turned out that they were real. Had the plants for over 3 months now and they still look great. They seem to do just fine without a lot of sunlight and watering. If you are looking for a easy plant to take care of then i recommend buying one of these.
on November 19, 2014
First time ever ordered plant online. Really had to dig thru peanuts to find plant. Securely pkgd, and not even a stem/branch broken. Top of pot taped so dirt still intact. Plant sat on countertop in kitchen for a couple of days while I decided on pot to put it in. Repotted then placed it in it's new home and it's been very happy ever since. Very impressed with order and company. Will definitely order from Hirt's again.
review image
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2013
It had foliage taped to the box and some to the other plant in the box and could not be removed without Removing the affected foliage.The Parlor Palm was folded almost in half and the main stem broken. Also a lot of the Dirt had spilled out in the box. HOWEVER, HIRTS REFUNDED MY MONEY. IT IS NICE TO DEAL WITH INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES THAT HONOR THEIR GUARANTEES. MY THANKS TO THEM.
22 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2012
My very first house plant!!! Let me start out by saying that I contacted Hirt's customer service before I even made my purchase. I complained about the terrible delivery service I had been receiving from UPS. Hirt's was fast with a reply and courteous. Hirt's assured me my package would be sent first class via USPS. I was impressed with their customer service.

This is my first house plant, and my little palor palm looks fresh and very happy. If a plant can look happy. The soil was still moist from Hirt's watering it before shipping. It was love at first sight with this Palor Palm. I'll be contacting Hirts for additional assistance on how to nurture my palm. I know I'll be treated well. I am already on my way to purchasing an additional 3 plants. This would make a lovely gift too, I was thinking. For a Mother's Day gift or birthday.
on January 27, 2012
Packaged very well,stool warm from disposable heat pack with plant.So nice, it looked like a silk plant!!Mine was about seven to eight inches high.Nice and green.Ordered on a Friday evening,was delivered on a Wednesday.Would of probably gotten faster,but we had a 3 day holiday weekend!Intend on purchasing more plants from Hirts!
on March 27, 2013
Hirt's Victorian Parlor Palm - Chamaedorea - Indestructable - 4" Pot: Great Buy
33 comments|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2015
I am so pleased with my plants my order came so quickly, and my parlour palm is in perfect condition. Absolutely no damage full and lovely. When I have time I will post a photo. Highly recommended. I have it on my nightstand in a square vase I bought on Amazon, that I customized myself with a chanel label I had printed as a photo, and using some glossy modge podge. Picture attached.
on February 18, 2012
Just received my second plant, the first one was so cute I ordered
a second. The first one has grown well and is very healthy. Arrived quickly, packaged well but
not over packaged.