5.0 out of 5 stars A joyful noise.
Published on September 5, 2001 by slomamma

2.0 out of 5 stars REMASTER AVAILABLE! But ONLY In Japan! Why, Edgar... WHY?
The good news?

20+ years after their debut on CD, FINALLY, there are full remasters of Moondance, Street Choir and Astral Weeks.

The bad news?

They're not available domestically from Warner Music Group USA: All three were released in June 2008 by Warner in Japan only, and Amazon is FINALLY getting around to stocking them.

The...
Published on June 27, 2008 by BOB

5.0 out of 5 stars A joyful noise., September 5, 2001
slomamma (San Luis Obispo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
The first time someone tried to play this album for me, I was really reluctant to listen. It was the early seventies, a few years after the album came out, and the Van Morrison song that was getting the most radio play at the time was TB Sheets. Brilliant song, but harrowing Š certainly not something you want to listen to every day. So when my friend said he was going to put on a Van Morrison album, I said, "This is going to be painful, isnÕt it?"
Before the first song (Domino) was over, I knew I was wrong. This has got to be the most joyous album ever made. That great old Biblical phrase "a joyful noise" is the only way to describe it. ItÕs not a sappy, moon-June kind of happiness. I keep thinking of a line from Blue Money. He sings, "YouÕre so glad to be alive, honey." ThatÕs the spirit that courses through this album. It sounds like a man who has been deep down in the blues (the man who sang about TB sheets, I guess) and came up laughing and smiling and singing his heart out.
If youÕve listened to any later Morrison albums, you know that joy didnÕt remain in much of his music. But at least weÕve got this album. Even the most pensive song on the CD Š IÕll Be Your Lover Too Š is warm and contented, full of quiet joy. Most of the songs on here really do make you glad to be alive.
IÕve heard His Band and The Street Choir described as a "minor" Moondance Š the same rich and soulful horns, the same jazz feel, but without the lyrical depth. Maybe. ItÕs true thereÕs not a song here with the poetry of Into the Mystic or And It Stoned Me (both from Moondance), but pure, unadulterated happiness is nothing to turn up your nose at. Owning this album really is like owning a little chunk of joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hippie Soul, February 20, 2002
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
Van Morrison has made so many albums, many vastly different from the one preceding, that it would be hard for a new fan to know where to start. I have a recommendation: get Moondance then get His Band and Street Choir. Together these albums provide the listener with the essential expression of Van Morrison's love of American rhythm and blues.
Most of us have heard Domino and Blue Money. Good as they are for top 40 tunes they are hardly the best songs on the CD. The insouciant swing of Give Me A Kiss and Call Me Up In Dreamland are in stark contrast to the morose introspection that imbues some of his later masterpieces. The hard-driving sax on I've Been Working makes it impossible not to want to dance. If I Ever Needed Someone gives voice to Morrison's deep spirituality and Street Choir seems a scolding antidote to the anti-Americanism that was rife at the time of recording.
Put this CD on, and it will lift you right up no matter how down you are feeling. Out of all his albums, I rate this in the top 5. It is upbeat, it is rock, it is jazz, it is blues, and it is hippie soul at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many great classics from the early days, September 6, 2001
Gabriel (Norwalk, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
This albums contains many great classics from Van Morrison's early days that you really don't hear much anymore. Not to mention, this album also contains that great hit from "Proof of Life" that no one can find called "I'll be your lover, too". Definitely a great album for those who like that early seventies folksy song of Van Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Our secret (don't tell anyone else), October 10, 2005
floyd (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
This is it. Sssshhhhhhhh.

We don't want word to get around about how fabulous this cd is because this one is for discriminating listeners; not the people who buy "best of" compilations.

If you can find a song that beats "I'll be your lover" I'd like to hear it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Van shows off his voice, and takes you for a ride., June 22, 1999
JWFaull@hotmail.com (Renton, Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
A must have for anyone contemplating diving head first into the soulful sounds of Mr. Van. Everyone loves Domino, the first track, and it only gets better as it moves on into Crazy Face, an emotional ballad, I've Been Working, a song about trying to prove his love, Call Me Up In Dreamland, and my personal favorite, the ending track, Street Choir. I have played this one for some of my reluctant Van fan friends and have noticed, a few weeks later, the album among their collection. Get the album, listen to it a few times, it will grow on you, and you'll want to buy more. It started me on my obsession and it may for you as well. After you get to know this album I suggest picking Tupelo Honey, it follows a natural progresion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one of his best, July 25, 2003
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
Still in his prime form, this album offers the full spectrum of what Van Morrison can be. From his moody, somewhat meloncholy "I'll Be Your Lover," to his well known "Domino," and in between the down-to-earth, sexy, "I've Been Working," this album encompasses a spectrum most of his others do not, in that it is a transition including musical mysticism, blues, and pop (not a criticism but a complement). As a lover of his live bootlegs I find this to be one of the most satisfying studeo albums Van Morrison ever produced - period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, March 17, 2006
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
These reviews are always messy because the people that write them tend to be either extremely for or against whatever it is they are reviewing. I will do nothing to combat this.

This album's five star rating is justified. Great opening track with "Domino," but it's not the best. "Virgo Clowns" is hauntingly beautiful (pardon the cliche), especially when Dahaud Elias Shaar comes in on his bass clarinet. The next track, "Gypsy Queen," is another R&B winner all the way.

I read the _Rolling Stone's_ review of this album, and it was accused of being _too_ perfect--too much goodness on one album, like _Moondance_. That's a good point.

Anything else I say would just be repeating everyone else, so just read some reviews, listen to the samples, and make your own decision. Chances are you're predisposed to like Van Morrison if you're already here anyway, which further suggests that you're likely to buy the album, or at least have a struggle of whether or not to pay 13 bucks for it. I'd advise you to take the plunge, but it's up to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Out In The Streets, February 21, 2001
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
His Band & Street Choir is a solid effort from Van Morrison. The album followed Moondance and while it's not as good as that album, it's still pretty darn good. "Domino" is a bouncy number that became his highest charting single peaking at number 9. "Crazy Face", "Virgo Clowns", "Gypsy Queen" and "Call Me Up In Dreamland" are all excellent songs. "Blue Money" is the best song on the album with it's neo doo-wop, r&b feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars TIMELESS FLASHBACK!, March 20, 2005
Allan L. Hopson "Obsessor" (norwich, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
Van was "perfect" on this album...song writing, voice, arrangements...all perfect. Happy and fun times were abounding and Van captured the moments. There are "whistleable" tunes juxtaposed to tender balladlike songs that are compiled nicely. An easy choice, "Street Choir" is one of my favorite all time albums that I would want with me if I were stranded on an island. Listen to it over and over! I love it so much I named my only son, "Van"!

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid but uneven effort, May 3, 2000
This review is from: His Band and the Street Choir (Audio CD)
This album contains "Domino," perhaps Morrison's best known song as a solo artist. Unfortunately, coming on the chronological heels of masterwork albums "Astral Weeks" and "Moondance," this one is a little bit of a disappointment. Still, there are some great songs here, including "Blue Money," "I'll Be Your Lover, Too," and "Call Me Up in Dreamland." Morrison as always is in fine voice and the soulful music recalls "Moondance." Overall, however, this is an uneven album with numerous bright spots.

His Band and the Street Choir
His Band and the Street Choir by Van Morrison (Audio CD - 1990)