on July 8, 2011
His Leading Lady is the perfect e-read for summer, whether you are waiting for kids at swimming lessons or relaxing on the beach. Paula Martin knows theater, and she's created an exciting backdrop for a sizzling love story. There's a missing twin, an ancient legend, and an almost perfect disguise.
on July 8, 2011
His Leading Lady
Author: Paula Martin
Jess Harper's predictable life is turned upside down when she discovers that Lora, her twin sister, has disappeared. It's just a week before rehearsals are due to start for a new West End musical in which Lora has the lead role. Jess decides to pose as her sister in order to save Lora's career. This brings her into close contact with arrogant theatre director Kyle Drummond. Attraction sparks between them but there's also evidence that he had been dating Lora. So is Jess simply a substitute - in real life as well as in the show? And what will happen when Lora eventually returns?
Jess (Jessica) Harper is reluctant to fill her twin's shoes in the musical, but she has little choice if Lora is to keep her leading role in the West End musical, Token of Love. Jess doesn't believe she's as good as her sister, but that is soon disproved. Kyle Drummond, the producer and director of the show, is taken in by Jess's ruse, but somewhere along the way, Kyle realizes who she really is.
The author of His Leading Lady, Paula Martin, has written a sophisticated novel with intriguing characters. I liked Kyle, even though he was somewhat overbearing and arrogant. When it became obvious Lora would not return, Jess stepped up as a true professional. I felt she was doing the show for herself, too, and not just to fill in for her missing sister.
At first, I thought Lora was selfish and thoughtless to put her sister through an emotional wringer, but soon I realized she had a good reason. I was joyful when the twin sisters reunited and began to stand up for each other.
The novel moved along nicely, holding my attention, entertaining me with the goings-on of a high-end musical. Then Kyle and Jess both find themselves in situations where mistrust was on both sides, and both are hurt and angry. At this point, the story really picked up, the tension increased, and I could not stop reading.
I highly recommend His Leading Lady.
Five Stars
Celia Yeary-Reviewer
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 19, 2011
I will be quite honest and say that I was taken in by the first chapter and it was hard to put my Kindle down until I'd finished reading the entire novel!! Paula has brilliantly written a page turner that dives the reader head first into romance, intrigue and mystery, set in England's Theatrical West End.

Jess Harper meets Kyle Drummond, a big time producer and director in theatre, for the first time in her shop. He delivers the news that her twin sister Lora, an actress in his next upcoming production, is missing. Kyle, somewhat arrogant, threatens to end Lora's career in the West End, if she doesn't return soon to fulfill her theatrical contract. Jess, unable to track down her twin's whereabouts, realizes that she must make a decision to step up to the plate and try to save her sister's career that she worked so hard to achieve. Jess doesn't quite believe in her own abilities to fill these shoes, yet takes on the challenge until she can unravel the mystery behind her twin's disappearance. In the process, she falls for Kyle, who has figured her out, only to later doubt the relationship was premised on the truth. Feelings of anger and mistrust between Kyle and Jess flare and yet the show must go on.

The musical theatre scene provides a perfect backdrop for this thrilling page turner. Paula does a wonderful job of introducing the reader to the ins and outs of the theatre business while keeping the story moving along at a quick pace and keeping the reader satisfied with a great romance story. This novel pulls you in and doesn't let you go until you've read it through to the end--leaving the reader to want more at each page turn. If you are looking for a thrilling romance, look no further than His Leading Lady by Paula Martin, I highly recommend it.
on October 7, 2011
His Leading Lady is a delightful book with characters I loved by the end. It's the story of a drama teacher named Jess Harper, whose life is turned upside down when her twin sister suddenly disappears. Lora, the twin, is the lead in a new West End musical and the theater director, Kyle, is furious when she misses her first rehearsal. In trying to locate Lora, a frantic Kyle finds Jess, demanding to know Lora's whereabouts. But Jess doesn't know where Lora is and when she finds out that if Lora doesn't show, she will be replaced in the cast, possibly ending her stage career, she decides to pull the old twin switcheroo and hit the London theater scene pretending to be Lora to protect her sister's reputation.

The story takes on twists and turns throughout the plot, weaving together a narrative of romance, love, mystery, and family drama as Jess worries about her missing sister and we find out more about girls' relationship, their upbringing, and the different paths they chose in life. I don't want to ruin it for anyone so I won't get more specific than to say if you like a novel that explores deception, conflict, and unexpected romance, this is a great book to read!

Amber
on October 5, 2012
Paula Martins book, His Leading Lady, in one word....Perfect.

It has everything that a romance novel should have: sexy male and female characters, humor, mystery, chemistry, antagonists, misunderstandings, pride, forgiveness, pain, joy, and reconciliations.

Never did the story slow down nor turned boring. It captivated from the start and held the captivation. The dialogue was smooth and the characters were portrayed very nicely. The storyline itself was believable and I loved the idea of the main character being a twin and the twist in the story that was pulled off.

It is a story that leaves you rooting for love and angry with the very real and manipulative threat at the end. No spoilers....you will need to read to understand it.

My favorite two lines in the book are:
"If it's not what you want to do above anything else, it won't work for you."
"Och and remember sometimes real life can have a happy ending like a musical show."

Thank you Paula, for those two statements breathe life into people of the real world. I fell in love with your characters and will definitely be reading more of your books!
on August 22, 2011
Thoroughly enjoyable read. Fell in love with the leading couple and gladly gave up a good night sleep to fly through the pages of their story. Well worth the money and time. An absolute pleasure to read Paula Martin's latest creation.
on August 16, 2011
It's a while since I've read a new contemporary romance and I am so glad that His leading Lady is the one I chose first. From the moment I started reading the first chapter, I was completely hooked and had to keep reading the rest of the book until the very satisfying ending.

The characters are very well drawn, with a perfectly matched hero and heroine. The background setting of a theatre and stage musical was the icing on the cake and seemed completely authentic, greatly adding to the enjoyment of the main story between Jess, one of twin sisters, and Kyle, the arrogant director. The added touch of mystery surrounding the disappearance of Lora, Jess' twin, and the ensuing impersonation by Jess gave the romance a lovely touch of suspense. There was even a beautiful scene in Scotland. The sub-story of the west end musical in production was so interesting that I wanted to see it performed! I highly recommend this book, not least for Paula Martin's excellent writing.
on April 14, 2012
Jess Harper, it seems, is an 'all or nothing' kind of heroine. She either loves or she hates and acts accordingly, so when Kyle Drummond, the director of her sister's next show appears and patently disbelieves Jess when she denies knowing where Lora is, the 'stage' is set.
Jess loves her sister Lora, and immeditely hates her sister's director.
You want to know more?
Then read this book to find out how Paula Martin not only manages to bring Jess round, but persuades her to change her life's direction completely.
This is a powerful story wrapped around broken dreams, shattered trust, misunderstandings which are tempered with dreams fulfilled, passions, love and characters and settings that come alive on the pages.
This book has been slowly climbing up my TBR pile, and I am delighted the wait was so worth it.
Paula Martin is an author I will be following more closely in future.
on February 24, 2013
Jess seems to have spent most of her life being there for others, especially her twin sister, Lora. It's no wonder she agrees to step in and become Lora when her sister disappears, leaving the director of the play under a lot of pressure.
Kyle is in a difficult situation, his leading lady has disappeared, but she has a twin sister, one who looks exactly like her.
Will he dare replace his leading lady or will he wait for Lora's return?
I've come across this book several times on the Internet, and every time its title made me pause and wonder. I was very intrigued by the idea and the excerpt did it for me.
Reading His Leading Lady was like unwrapping a gift and discovering it right in every way. The story was told smoothly; Jess and Kyle were perfect together, even Lora was loveable once the reason behind her disappearance was revealed.
Each of them was real with his or her own set of doubts, insecurities, and triumphs. Mostly, I loved the masterful way each scene was abstractly painted giving me the opportunity to fill in the rest of the details. I have decided that Lora has a small white round rug in her living room. Don't ask me why :-)
His Leading Lady is a book I intend to visit again...it's one of those very precious tales.
on August 3, 2011
If you had asked me a few months ago if I read `romance' novels, I would have replied with a definite no. But after coming across the first chapter of Paula Martin's His Leading Lady online, I wanted to read the rest.

Martin expertly weaves a tale of not just romance (though there's plenty of heat!), but also of family, intrigue, drama, and ultimately, of the choices we make in the name of love. The story takes a handful of turns, leaving readers with just a spot of uncertainty as to whether or not this character is as sweet as she seems or that character is to be trusted. The journey through this book was utterly enjoyable and the conclusion satisfying. Ask me today if I read romance novels and I'll answer, "If Paula Martin wrote it, you bet'cha!"