5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treasure
Today's boys are fascinated by pirates. Best-selling author Sheri Rose Shepherd uses this to great advantage in His Mighty Warrior, a new sort of devotional, filled with 128 pages of "letters from God."

Published on October 19, 2007 by Kristina Seleshanko

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what we expected
This book is not what we expected. I thought the book would be a fun adventure story. Instead it is written like a daily devotional for boys, complete with a prayer. We ended up liking it anyway, as we now use it as our sons devotional, but it is not a book to be read as typical long story.
Published on November 5, 2010 by Faye

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Treasure, October 19, 2007
This review is from: His Mighty Warrior: A Treasure Map from Your King (Hardcover)

Boys will first be enticed by the 18th century-style map at the front and back of this book, and the imagination-inspiring illustrations of sailors on islands and tall ships by Lisa Marie Browning. Then they'll discover down-to-earth, kid-friendly "letters from God" on each two-page spread, accompanied by a related Bible verse and a simple prayer. For example, here's the first letter in the book:

"My Son,
I have chosen you to do something great for my kingdom. You are not just a boy - you are a child of the King and I am your Father in heaven. I want you to know that I am the same God who chose King David when he was just a little boy, and I have chosen you to show the world who I am. I will give you all you will ever need to conquer and accomplish the mission I have for you. Never forget who you are or who I am, and you will become a strong and mighty warrior for me.
Love,
Your King and Father in heaven"
Deut. 7:6 is then quoted, and a four sentence prayer follows.

Topics in this book include God's purpose for our lives, the importance of prayer, developing character, the power of promises, courage, being tender, the power of words, respecting rules, being your best, fighting the good fight, honoring others, dealing nobly with money, dealing with disappointment and anger, telling the truth, being a server, bragging and boasting, dealing with fear, failure, loving your enemies, giving revenge to the Lord, obeying parents, "when bad things happen," "death is not the end," and much more.

What I Like: This book is filled with loving, biblical advice, and the illustrations are ideal for adventure-loving boys. There is so much to learn here, and the presentation is terrific.

What I Dislike: Nothing.

Overall Rating: Excellent.

Kristina Seleshanko, editor of Christian Children's Book Review ( ccbreview at blogspot dot com )

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheri Rose Shepherd "His Mighty Warrior" Is Awesome, February 23, 2008
My son, who I struggle with to get him to read, couldn't put the book down. He kept saying "Mom, I'm on page 9!" "Now I'm on page 30"
His eyes were full and he kept smiling. He knew it was God speaking to him telling him what his purpose in life is. That God needs and depends on him. Most importantly, that my son is not in it alone. That God is with him every step of the way.
My son feels so loved from reading that book.
Kids need to feel important by their parents but when they know God thinks their princes and princesses. Wow! Nothing can top that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful way to connect and talk about God's Word, February 26, 2008
I bought this for my 9 year old son (and it's princess counterpart for my 4 year old daughter). I have found it to be a wonderful part to add to our bedtime routine that doesn't take long but imparts profound wisdom. The letters to the boys "from God" really speak to their identities as young men and gives a parent the opportunity to put to words the different personality traits we hope our children grow up with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for your son...., May 29, 2008
M. Aagaard (Ventura County, CA.) - See all my reviews
My 7yr old son and I made this book our Daily Devotional before school each day this year. With about 7 more days to go....on May 14, 2008 my son asked Jesus to come into his heart and decided to accept Him as his Savior.

This book blessed our family in a big way. We've now started from the beginning all over again....and now my son garners even more from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Bedtime Devotional for Little Boys, December 10, 2009
I am familiar with Sheri Shepherd's "Princess" books for little girls, and "His Mighty Warrior" is equally as wonderful for little boys. This is a great bedtime devotional for little guys from birth through elementary school. Each excerpt is about 1 page long with a short prayer to encourage and help boys to grow up to be Godly men. Illustrations are awesome! HIGHEST RECOMMEDATIONS!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what we expected, November 5, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing character tool, April 9, 2010
My son is ten, believes in the Lord, but has not asked Him into his heart yet. Despite this, this tool is teaching him character in a loving language. It is allowing us to use scripture and prayer to grow him up and provide us opportunities to talk about these things. I could not encourage a parent of a son enough to get this book/tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Sheri Rose!, December 27, 2007
Thank you Sheri Rose for this wonderful book. My 6 year old son thinks it is the best book ever. He is so excited to here God's message to him each day. In today's society it is great to have such a book to support our efforts to raise Godly children. Do not hesitate!! Buy this book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect!, November 9, 2011
Before I even opened this book I was pleased. The front cover is slightly puffy. I know that's silly to note, but it just gives an extra something special to the book. The cover art is of a boy on an adventure...what young boy wouldn't be intrigued by that! The first thing I noticed upon opening the book is that the beautiful artwork from the cover continues inside. Each page is really a picture in itself with the words set on top.

This book is not a story, but more of a devotional for boys. Each page that you open to features a (fictional) letter from God to your boy, a Bible verse, and a prayer for your boy to pray in response to the letter and verse. It reads like the final words of instruction and encouragement a father would give to a son who is going off on a journey. Each letter encourages or instructs your boy in a way that he should act (be courageous, be a protector, obey the rules, etc.) and is doctrinally strong on points like God's sovereignty and our utter dependence on Him. The content is not dumbed-down, but is still appealing to young, imaginative minds. Here is an example from one of the `letters'...

"You will be surrounded by boys and girls who do not want to follow the rules. I do not want you to be like them. I want you to be a leader, not a follower. A true leader will be strong and do the right thing."

The prayers are fantastic responses to the letters. Each one is honest, often with a confession of wrong behavior and a plea to God for help in doing the right thing. Here is an example of one of the prayers...

"Dear God, I want an awesome attitude. Please help me have a grateful heart no matter what happens. I want to be a hero for you and help others do the same by my example. I'm Jesus's name I pray, amen."

My only critique is that some of the verses are from the Old Testament and could be taken out of context if the book was being read alone by your son. For example, Deuteronomy 7:6 "For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord you God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession." While it is true that Christians are holy in God's eyes and that He chose us to be His, this verse was spoken to the Israelites, and I don't feel right applying it perfectly to us. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would explain to my son that the principle of this verse is good, but that it wasn't spoken for us.

This book seems like it would be best suited for a boy around the age or 6-10 years old, but would probably be enjoyed by younger ones as well (they just would not get as much out of the application). The principles are really even great for older children (and us parents, too!) but some of the wording might just be a little too silly for them to get into. I think this book could be read to anyone because the principles it encourages are wonderful, but if your child has actually made Christ the Lord of his life, then this book should be incredibly convicting and (through the Holy Spirit) could produce life changing results!

If you are looking for a great book to encourage Biblical principles in your son's life, then I would highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars mighty warrior, June 6, 2010
Mom on the move (ankeny, ia United States) - See all my reviews
this is a great read at bedtime with your kids book for a change up on devotions. it is well done and biblical and i am impressed. my 8 and 9 year old boys love it. it is notes from God to His mighty warriors, heros, His and my kids.

ARRAY(0x9b744ce4)

His Mighty Warrior: A Treasure Map from Your King
His Mighty Warrior: A Treasure Map from Your King by Sheri Rose Shepherd (Hardcover - October 16, 2007)
$15.99 $12.96
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.