Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on April 3, 2012
I've read both books (seperately) and love them. The stories are wonderfully written and the characters are believable. I finished each book in less than a day because once I started reading, I wasn't able to put them down!
on April 11, 2012
I enjoyed the story collections even though I have read Of Noble Birth before. If you enjoy historical romance, you will like this collection. I downloaded free edition which makes it more rewarding...
on April 5, 2012
What I enjoyed most about these books is that they are so different from what's out there. They have an authenticity about them that I haven't been able to find in a lot of the other historical romances I've read lately. The conflicts feel real and the love that develops between the two main characters is rewarding and fun without being corny. There's just not as much fluff and yet you get the pay off. They actually remind me of some of the historical romances I read when I was younger--what drew me into the genre in the first place.
on April 11, 2012
Having read a couple of really awful books recently, it was a delight to come across these two. Both had everything - a real story, romance, excitement, and long enough to keep me going for more than half an hour. 'Of Noble Birth' is set at the beginning of the 19th Century, located in England, and tells the story of the social mores of the time, what is acceptable and what is not, as far as the gentry are concerned. It has a nautical theme, with the lead male character overcoming his birth defect to captain a ship. [As an aside, can a one-armed person tell me how you tie a ribbon in your hair?] I was enthralled by the story from beginning to end. The second book, 'Honor Bound' is set at the end of the 18th Century, also in England, also with a nautical theme. It is a tale of a young French woman who has fled the atrocities of revolutionary France, to find herself wed to an ageing peer who has strange ideas of how to beget an heir. The story is the tale of how she tries to escape the marriage, and her adventures, and love, subsequently. Neither story is related to the other, each is a complete stand-alone - either/both is/are a thoroughly good read. Highly, highly recommended.
on May 2, 2012
Seldom have I read such well-written historical romances. Ms. Novak is to be complimented on her attention to detail and her knowledge of the times in which these tales are set. The descriptions of the surroundings, whether they be of a decrepit inn, the site of a grand ball, or the last throes of a dying frigate, are breath taking and command the reader's faithful attention. I am now a confirmed Brenda Novak fan and eagerly anticipate reading more of her writings. Brava!
on May 30, 2012
I got these both for free, but would have certainly paid for them. Historical romance is my absolute favorite and both of these books put you right in the story, and the plots took twists and turns so they weren't your "typical" romance novels. Just the right amount of steam, nothing too raunchy, in my opinion, although I like a few romance scenes. I would highly recommend these!!!
on June 6, 2012
My first impression as I read this book was that it had way to many things going on. Kidnap and piracy were a good start but the piracy aspect was strange. I don't think transferring a shipment at sea is a minor thing. And the travel time for the Black Sea expedition was murky. Sailing details were minor and the crew seemed small even for a schooner. I liked the heroes story, it was interesting and different. The heroines story as also good. Combining those two with the kidnapping was a nice touch. But the convoluted gun running story was over done. And then the minor problem with the brothel and her rescue by none other than Nathaniel. Then the imprisonment and escape. I did like the touch of Alex's joining the Duke's household but the other subplot of Clifton's pursuit of Alex could have been handled better IMHO. In either case, I was reading this book just to get it over with. It was very tiring.

The wrap up of the whole affair was a little rushed after all the things that transpired. Maybe a simpler more direct story would have made this better, because I really liked the characters.
on January 7, 2014
I got this as a freebie and for once it was a good freebie. Two great books that were page turning and worth reading. I preferred the first story about an H who was born with a birth defect (missing part of his arm) and his father a Duke, rejected him and tried to kill him. He makes his own way in the world but wants to get revenge on his dad and begins pirating his father's ships. He also decides to kidnap his half-sister so that he can exchange her for his friend who was caught by his father. Accidentally he kidnaps the wrong woman, the h, who is a seamstress trying to get out of her evil step-father's clutches. So begins a great adventure involving trips on boats and villains etc. It's a great story with loads of sexual tension but no sex. I loved it.

The second story is about an h who gets married off to an awful old Baron who plans to auction her off to various men on her wedding night so that she can get pregnant and give him an heir. He is impotent. The h finds out about it and runs off. She ends up on a ship with the H, who is a lieutenant. Again we have loads of sexual tension without the sex. The story has quite a few more flaws (not credible to the times) but it's still a great story nonetheless.

Highly recommended.
on April 19, 2012
These were both enjoyable romantic reads. They were a bit more in depth than many of the superficial books you see in this category. You really could picture the characters, where they were, what they were doing etc...both books are believable.

There are a few spots that need editing...one area it seemed like at least an entire sentence was missing, if not more. There are some grammar issues, and mispellings (dammning?) Overall these are not so often as to detract from the book, but the two areas where text seems to be missing should be corrected.

Overall, nice reads.
on June 15, 2012
The action, romance and just plain tension abound in both stories. There were very few if any misused words and typos which I really appreciated. The characters were believable and exciting. My only complaint - after all that built up passion being postponed again and again, I really would have enjoyed being part of the final fireworks. Instead, we are left with our own imaginings of how thrilling the final scenes would have been in each story.