Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: History Lover's Cookbook
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$7.99

on March 29, 2014
This is one of those rare cookbooks that while nice to have on kindle.. is one that I'd rather have a physical copy. This is a very unique cookbook as it has all of these little stories followed with the recipes to make what is being eaten in the story as well! So many wonderful color photos too! If you would like to experience your own bit of time travel.. get this book.. and prepare to go back in time! I like that the author included various recipes that I had in my own collection from my Grandmothers.. and even explained what some of the items were.. that I was unsure of.. such as a fruit called quince! Most of the recipes have easy to find ingredients found in most pantries. Well written, well indexed.. One that should be in every history lover's collection!
on February 18, 2013
What a marvelous look at history with details I never knew. The photographs are amazing and the recipes are delightful to view. Interesting how similiar they are to some we cook today. These people certainly did not have the variety of food choices we have, yet the food looks hearty, healthy and tasty. Please take the time to download this book and share with your friends, if only for the historic value.
The author of this delightful eBook takes you on a trip that is interesting as well as delicious.
Filled with 'receipts' and sprinkled with lovely photos of reenactment folk as well as the dishes.

Deviled eggs tied together with bits of fine ribbon, how charming! The raspberry shrub is to die for, and I'll be making it a lot this summer. And I can't wait to can some brandied peaches.

Much, much more than historical receipts, Ms. Peacock takes you through the Civil War era like someone who has lived it.
Clearly from a Southern perspective, but this Yankee found it fascinating and informative.
on January 27, 2014
i loved the recipes and the tidbits of history thrown in with each recipe . i like that she updated the recipes , after trying to do that with some of the old ladies i worked with , my hats off to you . if you like the civil war time period this books for you .
on February 18, 2013
A good selection of historical recipes with modern instructions that entice the reader to head to the kitchen with a skip in their step. These well researched and thought out recipes can be easily accomplished to the enjoyment of family members, guests and history lovers.
on June 28, 2014
IThis book interested me at first because I wanted to see what kinds of recipes people made in the nineteeth century. The book has so many that I’d like to try, most of them sound really good. Some were a little more complex than others, but all seem to be easily do-able.

In school I loved history class, but it’s been so many years since I was in school, and I haven’t been interested in reading about history since, so I really thought that part of the book would be somewhat boring to me. Man, was I wrong! What kept me interested far more than I would have imagined was the history and miscellaneous info. I was so engrossed while listening to those sections that it surprised me. I learned things about different battles, I loved learning that Custer went to West Point. For some reason that fact really surprised me.

Did you know that in the U.S., blackberries usually peak during June in the South and July in the north. I didn’t. I thought they peaked during the same month. I also learned that the medicinal plants have been used to treat a variety of ailments like dysentery, sore throat, gout, venomous snake bites and other illnesses. Another thing that I found very interesting was that coffee was scarce so some popular substitutes were roasted acorns, okra that were browned, dried sweat potatoes and carrots, wheat berries, barley, beans, beats, bran, cornmeal, cotton seeds, dandelions, peas, persimmons, rice, rye sorghum molasses, and watermelon seeds. Wow, I’d like to know how those substitues compared to the real thing.

I learned that Hardtack was a simple cracker or biscuit made only from flour and water. The only hardtack I’ve ever heard of was a hardtack candy.

There were notes and tidbits included throughout to give a little more interesting information on something that had been covered.

Since I listened to the audible.com version, I’m glad I also had the had the ebook version so that I could see the photos. There were many of them…food, items they used back then, battle re-enactments etc.

Also included in the ebook version was a Measurements & Substitutions Coversions. A few examples are:
1 jigger = 3 tablesoons
1 pony = 2 tablesppons
1 small pinch = 1/16 teaspoon
Indian meal = cornmeal
Gem = muffin or cupcake

The audio was narrated by Dave Wright and I thought he did an excellent job! His voice was smooth and calming. He talked at a pace that was slow enough for you to hear every word clearly, but not slow enough that you got impatient listening to him.

Roxe Anne Peacock did an execellent job with this book, you can tell she put a lot of time into research.

I love love love this book and would recommend it to anyone, whether they’re a history lover or cookbook lover, or both!

This is one of the best cookbooks I’ve ever read and know I’ll be going back to it over and over.

Here is the first recipe I want to try:
Potato Salad
10 large red potatoes (8 cups cooked)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Boiled Salad Dressing (recipe below)

Wash the potatoes in cold water; drain.
Place then in a large stockpot with enough cold water to cover them.
Cook the potatoes on medium heat until fork tender but before the skins burst.
Cool the potatoes by running cold water over them in a colander.
Peel the slightly cooled skins off the potatoes.
Dice the cooked potatoes into one-half inch cubes.
Place the chopped onions into the bottom of a large bowl.
Put the diced potatoes on thop of the onions.
Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups prepared Boiled Salad Dreesing to the potato salad.
Mix well to incorporate.
Serve immediately or refridgerate.
Best if eaten the same day.

Boiled Salad Dressing
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 large egg yolks, slightly beaten

Whisk the vinegar, water, sugar, dry mustard, salt and peppers in a medium saucepan until smooth.
Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer; whisking continuously.
Add the heavy cream and unsalted butter; continue whisking until the butter has melted.
In a large bowl, have ready 4 slightly beaten egg yolks.
Slowly stir in small amounts of the hot vinegar until it is incorporated into the egg yolks.
Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
Heat the mixture on medium-low and continue whisking until the sauce thickens. Do not boil.
Transfer the Boiled Salad Dressing to a large bowl and cool uncovered until the dressing is room temperature.
Refrigerate covered if you are not incorporating the dressing into a recipe immediately.

This dressing is great for potato salad, chicken salad, lettuce salads and cold slaw.

Note: The common size of an egg in the nineteenth century was medium; now it is large

Tidbit: In the nineteenth century, recipes were known as receipts.
on February 1, 2013
From the popular 19th century beverage, Raspberry Shrub to the delectable Planked Shad Bake to the decadent Bread Pudding with Custard Sauce, we're swept along on an exqusite journey through time via this remarkable compilation of the Civil War years from Ms. Peacock's perspective. With each recipe made, each picture shared and each morsal of history put to words...our insight AND our taste buds will never be the same! Highly recommended. ENJOY!
on November 10, 2013
The book provides background information on food that was typical during the Civil War. This book mixes significant historical events with a picture of what day to day life might have looked like. It explains the types of food eaten and provides recipes. The book has wonderful pictures of re-enactment scenes, typical cooking equipment of the time and many of the recipes. The pictures of the food are needed because not all the recipes are common today. I did not make anything so I cannot comment on the recipes but the author provides adequate descriptions so an everyday person can prepare the food. I also liked that she included “in the field” preparation instructions for a few recipes.
on May 2, 2014
I teach history and I like to eat. This book is a natural for a guy like me.

I know my way around in the kitchen but I am far from a four-star Michelin chef. These recipes are clear, easy to follow, and really work. The history that is woven into the book is truly interesting - I am thinking about running a club next year for my students using this book and our culinary arts classroom. History and a dinner? Sounds like a winner to me!

An interesting aside that attests to the authenticity of these recipes. My wife is a West Virginian Appalachian Rose whose family has roots that run deep in Mingo County. She inherited her Grandmother's recipe book - a ribbon wrapped tome of hand-written recipes handed down for generations. A lot of the family recipes are nicely recreated in this book. Ms Peacock did a nice job updating and standardizing a lot of the recipes - my wife might know what a 'palm' or a smidgen and a bit more of something is, but I don't. My wife does say that the recipes in this book are 'bona fide'.

Good enough for me.
on March 29, 2014
History Lover's Cookbook
Wanted this book for not only the old time recipes but the stories that accompany them as well.
Love the history of how this book was created and the fact that some recipes don't use a measuring cup.
Cornbread variations would be my favorite. Loved the stories about the war and such things as blackberry leaf picking.
Story of the quince was appreciated as my father grew them in his orchard. Hope to see ice cutting done this upcoming winter if the temperature is right. Apple fritters would be another favorite to try.
History of cakes, pound cake and gingerbread was something that surprised me with all the details from so long ago.