5.0 out of 5 stars Despite the perfectly reasonable objections below . . .
Published on April 23, 2006 by Allen Smalling

2.0 out of 5 stars Too vague
A lot of material and totally boring. It covers way too great of a time period all about political stuff.
Published 6 months ago by vanessa love

5.0 out of 5 stars Despite the perfectly reasonable objections below . . ., April 23, 2006
This review is from: A History of Modern Europe, Vol. 2: From the French Revolution to the Present (Paperback)
. . . I am giving John Merriman's A HISTORY OF MODERN EUROPE (Vol. 2, French Revolution to Present) five stars because I think it offers a better survey of the topic than older books on the subject. While this book pretty much operates under a "big-man" theory of history, it does mention social and economic trends, along with a nod, via color plating, to changing trends in art. It would have been nicer to have more of the kind of history that doesn't fall under military/diplomatic lines, but at some point, had Merriman tried to discuss everything, we'd have left a comprehensive history and begun a multi-volume encyclopedia!

I also appreciated Merriman's well-measured and friendly prose style, which is discursive without being digressive. Contemporary political cartoons and made objects are pictured in A HISTORY OF MODERN EUROPE, as well as the maps and portraits we would expect.

If you can find a better comprehensive history, buy it. I myself can find none better.

4.0 out of 5 stars An ambitious and comprehensive project, March 1, 2005
Merriman, who is the author of several lucid histories on early modern France, has taken on the entire landscape of modern Europe. His treatment of industrial and imperialist developments in Western and Central Europe is especially noteworthy. (Volume I of his work covers the Renaissance to Napoleon.) I would have liked to see attention given to southern and eastern European social issues. But overall, the text is well done and well organized.

5.0 out of 5 stars A History of Modern Europe French Revolutiuon to Present, Merriman, January 7, 2008
I bought Merriman's "A History of Modern Europe" as an adjunct to my studying Nineteenth European history in the Teaching Company's DVDs on the subject. I am partiuculatly interested in the period between Bismark's unification of Germany and the beginnings of WW1. Altho the trigger on WW1 was pulled in the assination of Austrian Archduke Fendinand, the national entanglements over the years preceeding this set the stage for a world wide conflict - this text book surveys this period very well. I think Bismarks alliances are complex, and any text that can untangle these are a welcome source of information. If you are to have only one survey book on Modern European History this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A History of Modern History: From the French Revolution to the Present, May 28, 2009
This is the second volume of a two volume set on the history of Western Europe. After reading the first book I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. Mr. Merriman has a way of making history come alive and relevent. I found myself making comparisons to America's present challenges to those of Europe in the 19th through 21st century. I highly recommend both volumes to anyone interested in learning where we have been and where we might be headed.

5.0 out of 5 stars So comprehensive. I had to read / use this for a course at Georgetown SCS, December 29, 2013
Wow. To say that this book packs a lot into one volume is an understatement.
For all my fellow students at Georgetown, you will need reading glasses after finishing this book.

I did learn a lot from it. One particular part of the book which has stuck with me and made a very emotional impression was the chapters on WW1 and WW2, especially the tables on the casualty counts from WW1 have haunted me ever since I read them. The numbers are mind-numbing and surreal. The photos of the firebombing at Dresden, Germany left me reeling with emotion. The burned bodies lying stacked like cordwood haunted my mind and heart for weeks, even months, after seeing the pictures.

I am grateful that the authors of this book (and Georgetown University for selecting this text) do not sugar coat history. It is brutal, bloody, and deserves a proper airing so that we can take away a true appreciation of the sacrifices of the people that have come before us.

5.0 out of 5 stars I fel educated now for my euro trip, June 8, 2014
great value for an up to date book by trusted university based historian; also easier to hold than two in one volume editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, January 31, 2014
Gee (Bronx, Ny) - See all my reviews
need it for school. loved that it came fast and it was a reasonable price. i would recommend to any student that needs this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great condition, great book!, March 3, 2013
This shipped really quickly, and I am very glad to have it for class- quick and easy to prepare prior to class as it is well written, and a smooth read. Only slightly different in page numbers from the next edition, so it was relatively easy to adapt (so far).

5.0 out of 5 stars Authoritative, December 8, 2010
This book is heavily relied upon as one of many resources for IR-History courses at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies. Well-written, comprehensive, a pleasure to read - plus it's got some interesting photos/portraits/maps, etc., that help to further elucidate the subject matter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too vague, May 15, 2014

A History of Modern Europe, Vol. 2: From the French Revolution to the Present
A History of Modern Europe, Vol. 2: From the French Revolution to the Present by John M. Merriman (Paperback - February 10, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01